: FG2 shock package?

slow35th
01-27-05, 09:42 PM
I have had my CTS-V for a couple of weeks now. The suspension is the stiffest of any vehicle I have ever owned. I have had a Camaro SS, a Harley Ford F150 that I had put Bilstiens on, driven Corvettes and others and none of them have had a ride as firm as the CTS-V.

This is not a complaint. I am just suprised. It was not that noticable until I had driven a really rough road.

I want to check and see if the dealer installed an FG2 package on my car before I bought it.

Are there any visual differences between the FG2 package and the stock package?

Lance

benjet
01-27-05, 09:50 PM
IIRC the part #'s on the shocks themselves are different (at least I sure hope they are), as well you should have your stock shocks delivered to you (in your trunk) when you bought the car. Changing tires helps soften the harshness of the ride nicely, without sacrificing a significant amout of dry performance.

Ever been in a Z06 or an Elise? The CTS-V is soft comparatively and it should be it's a Caddy.

trukk
01-28-05, 09:41 AM
I too have never had a vehicle with a suspension as tight as the V. I've also never had a vehicle with this much power or torque.

I've had mine for a week now. The suspension was not a 'rough' as I thought it would be, same with the idle, and exhaust note.

The car does however seem to be a bit 'jumpy' with the stock suspension. Perhaps it's the combo of the cold weather, run flats, and the prepensity to wheel hop under moderate (say 3/4) acceleration.

I just had the FG2 put on last night by the dealer, and I love the new feel. When having so much power in a car it is very nice to have a really good feel of the road underneath you. My work commute is a bout 40 miles each way. A good 8 miles of it are on really really bad city-type roads. The new suspension didn't bother me at all there. I wouldn't want to have my infant in a car seat with me, for that stretch (shaken baby syndrome anyone), but all in all, not as bad as I thourhg it would be.

I for one love the stiff ride in my car now. My confidense level has risen, which is well worth the small degredation in ride quality.

We''l see how I feel in about 3 months, but so far so good.

-Chris

Art138
01-28-05, 07:00 PM
Chris, where the stock shocks delivered to you? Would like to know because mine get put on week on a newly arrived V. I would feel better if they could show me the shocks they removed.

ahahnu
01-28-05, 09:48 PM
I've herd wheel hop is reduced with the FG2. I think its been posted out there before but give it another go for a lazy man

trukk
01-29-05, 04:47 PM
Chris, where the stock shocks delivered to you? Would like to know because mine get put on week on a newly arrived V. I would feel better if they could show me the shocks they removed.

No they didn't give them to me.

They said they've got my stock exhaust sitting in their shop, and that I could come and pick it up. I suppose I could ask for the stock shocks back also.

I don't really care all that much to have them. I don't ever plan on putting them back on the vehicle.

In another post, someone said that the fG2 is really a matter of personal taste. I agree with that statement. I drive some really crappy city roads, but it hasn't bothered me in the least (yet). i love the feeling of more control on the car. I seem to really be able to feel the road better, which is really nice with a car with so much freakin power.

-Chris

smithsonga
02-01-05, 07:14 PM
could you sell the stock shocks to a CTS non-V owner? Or is the suspension package so different it would be useless.....?

Just a thought.