: Spark plugs

anpirz
06-05-13, 05:53 AM
I have an 08 DI and its time to change the spark plugs. Can I get some suggestions? What are the plugs that come from factory? I would also like to know if there is a plug that could give me a little more performance without compromising much, ie changing them yearly.

99flhr
06-05-13, 06:22 AM
IMO there is no magic spark plug that will "increase performance"

anpirz
06-05-13, 06:30 AM
Not asking for magic. Some plugs give a bit more hp. That would fall under performance.

Kenny9123
06-05-13, 08:08 AM
I have an 08 DI and its time to change the spark plugs. Can I get some suggestions? What are the plugs that come from factory? I would also like to know if there is a plug that could give me a little more performance without compromising much, ie changing them yearly.

E3 or nothing!

MoFex
06-05-13, 12:02 PM
I would stick with OEM or go for a quality Platinium spark plugs from Bosh or NKG. Stay away from E3!

tinman
06-05-13, 12:27 PM
I like NGK, but that is a personal opinion. Also, there is nothing wrong with OEM plugs, whatever they are.

I agree with 99flhr that there is no plug that actually will increase hp. All they can do is possibly increase efficiency in the spark/burn, but no increase in hp.

Sal33n
06-05-13, 03:39 PM
Try this:

http://performanceunlimited.com/documents/plugsidegapping.html

tinman
06-05-13, 03:46 PM
Be sure to wear eye protection.

99flhr
06-06-13, 06:26 AM
Try this:

http://performanceunlimited.com/documents/plugsidegapping.html

Interesting, however if you make your own you don`t have a decal for the window and as we all know, a sticker is worth 5 hp.

Google "Splitfire vs. FTC" for more interesting reading.

tinman
06-06-13, 09:04 AM
I got ten hp from changing my blinker fluid last night.

Sal33n
06-06-13, 04:43 PM
Interesting, however if you make your own you don`t have a decal for the window and as we all know, a sticker is worth 5 hp.

Google "Splitfire vs. FTC" for more interesting reading.

Just print this out and tape to your window. There is 5 more HP and you will impress your friends!

Sal33n
06-06-13, 04:46 PM
I got ten hp from changing my blinker fluid last night.

Did you use Platinum Blend or Synthetic Maxx?

EVH5150
06-07-13, 11:34 AM
Ha ha ha Lol!!!

I honestly spit my morning coffee all over my computer monitor. Thanks a lot guys.:bouncy:

This really is a great enthusiast's forum!
Just print this out and tape to your window. There is 5 more HP and you will impress your friends!

anpirz
06-08-13, 03:30 PM
Clever guys. Maybe you should have kept that "blinker fluid" comment in the military, where we all heard it first. Not much help guys.

----------

To anybody who may have decent info about cars, are denso good plugs for this car? Also, I'm assuming iridium plugs are really the only plugs I should be putting in? I've heard copper and platinum burn too quickly.

MoFex
06-08-13, 04:02 PM
anpirz

you cannot go wrong with either platinum or iridium. I changed platinum to iridium on my wife's car at 95,000 miles. The platinum were still in good shape. As I said before go with OEM or Bosh or NGK. The Denos are good too. Just do not expect power increases. They all will last 100,000 miles though.

tinman
06-08-13, 05:14 PM
Recheck posts 4,5,6. I thought those posts along with MoFex's post just before this post had some positive answers.

99flhr
06-08-13, 05:55 PM
Not much help guys.[COLOR="Silver"]
----------

I apologize that you did not receive validation of your concept, however, that doesn`t mean the "guys" aren`t trying to help.
Sorry.

anpirz
06-09-13, 11:22 AM
Thank you, you have been very helpful. I will just stick to the iridiums.

----------

And sorry if I didn't feel that being told to put a sticker on my car for 5 more hp was helpful.

00 ss
06-09-13, 08:02 PM
I would have to agree that you aren't going to get any performance gain from one plug over another. Changing out worn out plugs with new ones will usually improve performance. Mae sure you get the right plug model though, because putting the wrong plugs in can hurt performance.

The only way I've seen real gains from plugs is when they were indexed and rotated to maximize the spark exposure to the incoming fuel and air charge. Although, this may not work at all in a DI engine.

C "T" ess
06-10-13, 10:11 AM
Also very important is to get the right temperature range plugs for your driving conditions. I've seen drivability concerns when using the incorrect range. If the factory plugs come out looking good, I would just stay with that plug.

tinman
06-10-13, 10:20 AM
And sorry if I didn't feel that being told to put a sticker on my car for 5 more hp was helpful.

Man, this is the internet. You have to grow that thick skin. :alchi:

HurstGN
06-18-13, 12:44 PM
I will add that I have an Autolite AR5383 Racing plug on my desk. It came out of Cory Mac's top fuel dragster some years ago. This plug supported 8K+ horsepower, and it is side gapped. So the side gapping may be beneficial to some degree.

Disclaimer, this plug only made 1 run. Top fuel teams use a plug for 1 run then toss it. So I don't know how the side gapping would work over a longer mileage period. :hide:

eborunda
06-18-13, 04:00 PM
I use Denso in mine

tinman
06-18-13, 04:02 PM
Denso makes some good stuff. I haven't had problems with them in the past.

99flhr
06-18-13, 07:34 PM
I will add that I have an Autolite AR5383 Racing plug on my desk. It came out of Cory Mac's top fuel dragster some years ago. This plug supported 8K+ horsepower, and it is side gapped. So the side gapping may be beneficial to some degree.

Can`t disagree when you are looking for E.T. gains 3 places to the right of the decimal point. ...May or may not apply to those of us just commuting to work. ...

Wojciech
05-06-14, 03:25 PM
Can anyone tell me what is replacement plugs for 41-990 (3.6 DI). Bosh or NGK
I'm live in europe so I have to change it quick - missfire.

Thanks

MoFex
05-06-14, 03:54 PM
Wojtek,

NGK (6509) LTR6IX-11 Iridium IX will work. If you have missfire you may also need to change coils. That what happened to me.

Wojciech
05-06-14, 04:02 PM
How long can I drive lika that? On 5 cilinders.
Unfortunatelly shippment will takes about 7 days and I need to drive to work.
Is computer disbale injection on "missing" cilinder?

MoFex
05-06-14, 06:59 PM
I am not sure. I think the fuel is still injected to the cylinder. It might adversely affect catalytic converter, not sure though.

maybe others can pitch in?

99flhr
05-06-14, 07:36 PM
Unfortunatelly shippment will takes about 7 days and I need to drive to work.

Shipment of the plug recommended by Mofex or a replacement coil?
If it`s the plug, I would screw in any readily available equivalent plug, as I assume that fuel is still being delivered to the dead cylinder.
I would order a coil now as that seems likely, even if it`s not the problem, if you have long lead times on parts it would be a good idea to have one on hand

MoFex
05-06-14, 10:13 PM
Shipment of the plug recommended by Mofex or a replacement coil? If it`s the plug, I would screw in any readily available equivalent plug, as I assume that fuel is still being delivered to the dead cylinder. I would order a coil now as that seems likely, even if it`s not the problem, if you have long lead times on parts it would be a good idea to have one on hand

I second it. I would definitely order coil as well.

SePu
05-07-14, 03:29 PM
I replaced denso's with ngk's 2 weeks ago. Since change mpg raising.