: Car Issues...Summary

dsciola
06-05-13, 12:47 AM
So now here's my total list of stuff from PART 1 and PART 2 that's not working/needs to be fixed and approximate total cost for each...feel free to look back at PART 1 and PART 2 for more detail...totals below includes parts + labor...

1 - spare tire/wheel release mechanism - $450 - per Part 1 - NOTE I could also just pay $50 and just have spare removed, but spare mechanism no longer works
2 - bent wheel/rim - $150 - Alloy Wheel Repair / 'Doug' - NOTE may be much higher if I need to get 4 new wheels/rims
3 - shock absorbers - $2,300 - LS Quote
4 - right front axle seal + fuel injection/induction/differential - $324 - LS quote, note also this is believing their verbiage per above
5 - bulbs and wipers - $60 - Firestone quote, assuming similar price at LS
6 - Tranny Flush? Again, LS wants confirmation this was flushed prior to 100k miles or they wont touch it...Dealer quoted me here for $300
7 - arm
8 - leg

Note that 7 + 8 are a joke...which is what this is starting to feel like...Totaling all these gets up to over $3500...and that's also assuming I wont need to get new rims...

Im not a car expert. I love my Escalade, but I need guidance. Given all these problems, Im half-way inclined to scrap the car and buy a new one...keep in mind I am at 125k miles...I would love to get some thoughts, help, prayers, anything from the smarter ppl on this Forum. A lot of things are on my mind here...

1 - Does my car need all of these repairs or should I avoid/ignore any of them indefinitely? Really wanna know this for shock absorbers, since that price is STEEP. What about tranny
flush? Why does Firestone need to first make sure I got tranny flushed prior to 100k miles? Should I get a different shop to flush it if they won't?
2 - Do any of these prices seem high? Such as $450 for spare wheel mechanism, $300 for tranny flush...or especialy, the shock absorbers?
3 - Should I get another opinion on any of these? For example, see if Firestone or someone else can remove 'stuck' spare wheel/rim even though I watched LS try to remove it? What about the Tranny Flush?
4 - Am I better off just buying a new car? I really dont wanna do this...but given car's age, mileage, and also fact that all these problems are coming up, makes me wonder if its time to move on...if so, can I get any kind of trade-in value from a GM dealer? Doubt I will get much for selling it on Craigs-List or wherever else, but of course could try.

Soo...ANY thoughts, advice, guidance, prayers, kum-ba-ya's, etc would be MUCH appreciated...Thank you so much

Dom

the cadillac man
06-05-13, 01:06 AM
So now here's my total list of stuff from PART 1 and PART 2 that's not working/needs to be fixed and approximate total cost for each...feel free to look back at PART 1 and PART 2 for more detail...totals below includes parts + labor...

1 - spare tire/wheel release mechanism - $450 - per Part 1 - NOTE I could also just pay $50 and just have spare removed, but spare mechanism no longer works
2 - bent wheel/rim - $150 - Alloy Wheel Repair / 'Doug' - NOTE may be much higher if I need to get 4 new wheels/rims
3 - shock absorbers - $2,300 - LS Quote
4 - right front axle seal + fuel injection/induction/differential - $324 - LS quote, note also this is believing their verbiage per above
5 - bulbs and wipers - $60 - Firestone quote, assuming similar price at LS
6 - Tranny Flush? Again, LS wants confirmation this was flushed prior to 100k miles or they wont touch it...Dealer quoted me here for $300
7 - arm
8 - leg

Note that 7 + 8 are a joke...which is what this is starting to feel like...Totaling all these gets up to over $3500...and that's also assuming I wont need to get new rims...

Im not a car expert. I love my Escalade, but I need guidance. Given all these problems, Im half-way inclined to scrap the car and buy a new one...keep in mind I am at 125k miles...I would love to get some thoughts, help, prayers, anything from the smarter ppl on this Forum. A lot of things are on my mind here...

1 - Does my car need all of these repairs or should I avoid/ignore any of them indefinitely? Really wanna know this for shock absorbers, since that price is STEEP. What about tranny
flush? Why does Firestone need to first make sure I got tranny flushed prior to 100k miles? Should I get a different shop to flush it if they won't?
2 - Do any of these prices seem high? Such as $450 for spare wheel mechanism, $300 for tranny flush...or especialy, the shock absorbers?
3 - Should I get another opinion on any of these? For example, see if Firestone or someone else can remove 'stuck' spare wheel/rim even though I watched LS try to remove it? What about the Tranny Flush?
4 - Am I better off just buying a new car? I really dont wanna do this...but given car's age, mileage, and also fact that all these problems are coming up, makes me wonder if its time to move on...if so, can I get any kind of trade-in value from a GM dealer? Doubt I will get much for selling it on Craigs-List or wherever else, but of course could try.

Soo...ANY thoughts, advice, guidance, prayers, kum-ba-ya's, etc would be MUCH appreciated...Thank you so much

Dom

Shocks can be got online cheaper(see my post in other thread for link)
The tranny flush I would only do this if the tranny is already giving issues
The injector cleaner is not really needed if you don't have any issues as far as the truck not running good

As far as trade in you have to weigh the pros and cons and are willing to take a loss on trade in value(those needed repairs can/will hurt the resale value)

Jophusp
06-05-13, 10:18 AM
Spare tire, ( see my post on #1 )
The shock absorbers should be fine, when they wear down they get softer, but wont make your truck run rough, ( you might feel a little more lean on turns ) They probably do not NEED to be replaced.
You can flush your own tranny for a third of that price. There is a good write up on how, in the stickies. You should be safe to flush it, even if it has not been flushed yet. There are a lot of diff oppinions here though. some people think you will break loose, old deposits, and shavings that could hurt your tranny, but I think if you just flush, and dont drop the pan, it really should not do that.
I would get the axle seal fixed, but the fuel injection you can easily do yourself, and as Cadillac man said, is prob not necessary.
Bulbs and wipers easy to do yourself.
See if you can get your wheel fixed first, If not, look for a used one, seriously, you might be able to find one with a little patience, and determination.

dsciola
06-05-13, 04:56 PM
Thanks again.

Shocks can be got online cheaper(see my post in other thread for link)
The tranny flush I would only do this if the tranny is already giving issues
The injector cleaner is not really needed if you don't have any issues as far as the truck not running good

As far as trade in you have to weigh the pros and cons and are willing to take a loss on trade in value(those needed repairs can/will hurt the resale value)

OK. Can't tell if tranny is giving any issues, anyway to find out here other than asking con artists, er excuse me, car ppl?

Car overall seems to be running OK, minus the steering wheel and the rims. This all started when I took it to Firestone over the weekend to find out why steering wheel was shaking when going 65+...which appeared due to bent rims...the other stuff they just did 'courtesy' for checking the steering wheel / rims. Then of course there's the spare tire supposedly being stuck, hopefully this was just LS being incompetent at best, shady at worst.

Also, Reason I'm asking / thinking out loud if you will about selling the Escalade, getting a new car, trade-in value, etc. is due to the life of the car...life meaning has over 125,000 miles on it and is about 8 years old

If there's all these things wrong with it...assuming they are all wrong and must be fixed and will cost me $$$...then perhaps not worth it to get all these fixes done when more issues will likely pop up within a few months (e.g. need new engine or wtvr) and thus have to pour more $$$ into the car when instead it'd be cheaper to NOT fix the car...and instead sell on Craigslist or trade-in for whatever cash value it has left and use that to buy a new car.

What's the life-span of a 2005 Escalade regular? If it's 8+ years old and has 125,000 miles on it already, is it nearing the end of its 'life?' Will the engine, transmission, roof, etc. start falling apart one after another, say within next 6 months, and costing me a lot of $$$ if I wanna keep the car running? I think I'm comfortable with occasional fix-ups like the axle seal that cost around $250, but super-frequent fixes that compound cost over time and also a busted engine or tranny (or shocks!) within a few months that will cost me well over $1,000 or more to fix makes me wonder if better off deploying that cash towards a new car.

Granted, good point also about trade-in value. Any idea what trade-in / liquidation value I can get with my car and all its issues, per above?

Spare tire, ( see my post on #1 )
The shock absorbers should be fine, when they wear down they get softer, but wont make your truck run rough, ( you might feel a little more lean on turns ) They probably do not NEED to be replaced.
You can flush your own tranny for a third of that price. There is a good write up on how, in the stickies. You should be safe to flush it, even if it has not been flushed yet. There are a lot of diff oppinions here
though. some people think you will break loose, old deposits, and shavings that could hurt your tranny, but I think if you just flush, and dont drop the pan, it really should not do that.
I would get the axle seal fixed, but the fuel injection you can easily do yourself, and as Cadillac man said, is prob not necessary.
Bulbs and wipers easy to do yourself.
See if you can get your wheel fixed first, If not, look for a used one, seriously, you might be able to find one with a little patience, and determination.

I see...I dont feel any 'leans' on turns I think...I know if I turn too fast while doing a U-turn or driving on a U-turn like on/off-ramp on the freeway the car might tip over if not too careful, but my guess is that's cuz its a top-heavy escalade...not because the shocks are getting worn...so in short, don't see any curent 'shock' related issues.

Not sure on doing flush myself...seems a bit too risky given all the differing opinions, factors, etc, but i'll check out the stickies. Will likely get axle seal fixed too and mebbe fuel injection or explore DIY'ing it. Wipers and bulbs look into DIY method too.

Think gameplan is, as you said, first see if can remove spare myself instead of cutting/fixing spare tire and then fixing rim, replacing if needed. Any thoughts on where to find used ADR 22" rim for a Cadillac Escalade? My hunch is Craigslist, any better go-to sites searches, etc?

Thanks again all y'all. means the world to me. Frankly, its very hard to rely on car shops for honest advice, imo...still rememvber the guy in SD who told me I had a blown-head gasket and needed a new engine when I asked him to look at my car when the engine started getting hot...took it instead to another guy who just fixed the coolant hoses, havent had an overheated engine since.

There's a special place in Hell for con artists like that.

Dom

the cadillac man
06-05-13, 06:16 PM
Thanks again.

OK. Can't tell if tranny is giving any issues, anyway to find out here other than asking con artists, er excuse me, car ppl?

Car overall seems to be running OK, minus the steering wheel and the rims. This all started when I took it to Firestone over the weekend to find out why steering wheel was shaking when going 65+...which appeared due to bent rims...the other stuff they just did 'courtesy' for checking the steering wheel / rims. Then of course there's the spare tire supposedly being stuck, hopefully this was just LS being incompetent at best, shady at worst.

Also, Reason I'm asking / thinking out loud if you will about selling the Escalade, getting a new car, trade-in value, etc. is due to the life of the car...life meaning has over 125,000 miles on it and is about 8 years old

If there's all these things wrong with it...assuming they are all wrong and must be fixed and will cost me $$$...then perhaps not worth it to get all these fixes done when more issues will likely pop up within a few months (e.g. need new engine or wtvr) and thus have to pour more $$$ into the car when instead it'd be cheaper to NOT fix the car...and instead sell on Craigslist or trade-in for whatever cash value it has left and use that to buy a new car.

What's the life-span of a 2005 Escalade regular? If it's 8+ years old and has 125,000 miles on it already, is it nearing the end of its 'life?' Will the engine, transmission, roof, etc. start falling apart one after another, say within next 6 months, and costing me a lot of $$$ if I wanna keep the car running? I think I'm comfortable with occasional fix-ups like the axle seal that cost around $250, but super-frequent fixes that compound cost over time and also a busted engine or tranny (or shocks!) within a few months that will cost me well over $1,000 or more to fix makes me wonder if better off deploying that cash towards a new car.

Granted, good point also about trade-in value. Any idea what trade-in / liquidation value I can get with my car and all its issues, per above?

I see...I dont feel any 'leans' on turns I think...I know if I turn too fast while doing a U-turn or driving on a U-turn like on/off-ramp on the freeway the car might tip over if not too careful, but my guess is that's cuz its a top-heavy escalade...not because the shocks are getting worn...so in short, don't see any curent 'shock' related issues.

Not sure on doing flush myself...seems a bit too risky given all the differing opinions, factors, etc, but i'll check out the stickies. Will likely get axle seal fixed too and mebbe fuel injection or explore DIY'ing it. Wipers and bulbs look into DIY method too.

Think gameplan is, as you said, first see if can remove spare myself instead of cutting/fixing spare tire and then fixing rim, replacing if needed. Any thoughts on where to find used ADR 22" rim for a Cadillac Escalade? My hunch is Craigslist, any better go-to sites searches, etc?

Thanks again all y'all. means the world to me. Frankly, its very hard to rely on car shops for honest advice, imo...still rememvber the guy in SD who told me I had a blown-head gasket and needed a new engine when I asked him to look at my car when the engine started getting hot...took it instead to another guy who just fixed the coolant hoses, havent had an overheated engine since.

There's a special place in Hell for con artists like that.

Dom

As long as the tranny isn't slipping it is ok

The leaning in the curves will be cause of the shocks

I have a 03 with 167,000 miles that had its fair share of problems with age(its normal on any car)

dsciola
06-05-13, 08:57 PM
As long as the tranny isn't slipping it is ok

The leaning in the curves will be cause of the shocks

I have a 03 with 167,000 miles that had its fair share of problems with age(its normal on any car)

Ic...so mebbe then if the car is leaning a bit on those curvy on/off ramps...shocks may be due for fixing/replacing...

If you dont mind me asking, Can you give me some more clarity on the 'problems' you've had with ur Escalade? How much would you guesstimate its costed to keep it running? Had any recent uber-pricey expenses like a new engine and have they been relatively recent? Understand also if you dont feel comfortable answering. Just trying to get idea of cost to maintain vs cost of buying a new car...maybe
not a new Escalade (sigh, wish I could though) but something hopefully similar-i

My first car was a 1985 Chevy Blazer...by the time I finally sold it for like $800, it had over 200,000 miles on it, replaced engine as well as transmission and plenty of other issues past and present...one of the more memorable ones was when car died randomly and when I pulled the hood release, release lever just came right off...haha too bad these things dont age like wine.

Dom

the cadillac man
06-05-13, 09:24 PM
Ic...so mebbe then if the car is leaning a bit on those curvy on/off ramps...shocks may be due for fixing/replacing...

If you dont mind me asking, Can you give me some more clarity on the 'problems' you've had with ur Escalade? How much would you guesstimate its costed to keep it running? Had any recent uber-pricey expenses like a new engine and have they been relatively recent? Understand also if you dont feel comfortable answering. Just trying to get idea of cost to maintain vs cost of buying a new car...maybe
not a new Escalade (sigh, wish I could though) but something hopefully similar-i

My first car was a 1985 Chevy Blazer...by the time I finally sold it for like $800, it had over 200,000 miles on it, replaced engine as well as transmission and plenty of other issues past and present...one of the more memorable ones was when car died randomly and when I pulled the hood release, release lever just came right off...haha too bad these things dont age like wine.

Dom

I haven't had to replace the engine(that will be the day she goes the Cadillac graveyard as I am keeping her till she dies completely)
I had to replace the starter((123,000miles)
PCM power train control module(140,000 miles give or take)
New rear air control brain module
Replaced(upgraded) radio to factory nav about a year ago(speakers a few months before the radio)
New rear shocks just lately(both blew out not long after I got it)along with the compressor for them
I have a 79 Chrysler cordoba which is pushing 30 something and still runs (first car)

dsciola
06-06-13, 08:37 PM
I haven't had to replace the engine(that will be the day she goes the Cadillac graveyard as I am keeping her till she dies completely)
I had to replace the starter((123,000miles)
PCM power train control module(140,000 miles give or take)
New rear air control brain module
Replaced(upgraded) radio to factory nav about a year ago(speakers a few months before the radio)
New rear shocks just lately(both blew out not long after I got it)along with the compressor for them
I have a 79 Chrysler cordoba which is pushing 30 something and still runs (first car)

Damn...that's quite a laundry list...and ur '79 Chrysler makes my old Blazer look brand new (in fact, I think the guy that bought mine finally sent it to the Blazer graveyard). I wanna say u can get an old engine for a 'somehwat' reasonable price?

http://www.theautochannel.com/autoparts/rebuiltpartscadillac/escaladeitems.html

No idea how reliable that site is or any replacement engine for that matter, but here a replacement 05 or 03 Escalade engine is around 2500, same price as those wonderful shocks...if you stick a different engine in an Escalade, will it likely not work? My now-dead Blazer had a replaced engine and tranny and ran 'well' when I had it...not perfect by any means but lasted my abuse at least...

By the way, whats the point of flushing the tranny n also of the fuel injection cleaner?...just curious here, noticed how all y'all said these are either not really needed or are things you can DIY for much less $$$

the cadillac man
06-06-13, 10:21 PM
Damn...that's quite a laundry list...and ur '79 Chrysler makes my old Blazer look brand new (in fact, I think the guy that bought mine finally sent it to the Blazer graveyard). I wanna say u can get an old engine for a 'somehwat' reasonable price?

http://www.theautochannel.com/autoparts/rebuiltpartscadillac/escaladeitems.html

No idea how reliable that site is or any replacement engine for that matter, but here a replacement 05 or 03 Escalade engine is around 2500, same price as those wonderful shocks...if you stick a different engine in an Escalade, will it likely not work? My now-dead Blazer had a replaced engine and tranny and ran 'well' when I had it...not perfect by any means but lasted my abuse at least...

By the way, whats the point of flushing the tranny n also of the fuel injection cleaner?...just curious here, noticed how all y'all said these are either not really needed or are things you can DIY for much less $$$

Not sure on the engine replacement as I haven't seen it happening much it may work without issue

My cordoba has close to 100,000 something miles(I think its close to 180,000)yet the beast has yet to die(been thinking of dropping a gm v8 like the 6.0 in it but haven't decided yet as I am restoring the car now)

My uncle had a gmc van(80's era) that had 280,000 miles if I am not mistaken when he stopped driving(it still ran just needed something small done)

He worked at the gm power train plant and told me that you only need to flush the tranny if you are having issues

If you make a thread asking members to post the mileage I think you would be surprised at the amount some has put on they're trucks(they are built like a tank)
The ls engine is a bullet proof engine and the 4l65e tranny is used in heavier trucks

dsciola
06-06-13, 10:55 PM
Not sure on the engine replacement as I haven't seen it happening much it may work without issue

My cordoba has close to 100,000 something miles(I think its close to 180,000)yet the beast has yet to die(been thinking of dropping a gm v8 like the 6.0 in it but haven't decided yet as I am restoring the car now)

My uncle had a gmc van(80's era) that had 280,000 miles if I am not mistaken when he stopped driving(it still ran just needed something small done)

He worked at the gm power train plant and told me that you only need to flush the tranny if you are having issues

If you make a thread asking members to post the mileage I think you would be surprised at the amount some has put on they're trucks(they are built like a tank)
The ls engine is a bullet proof engine and the 4l65e tranny is used in heavier trucks

Cool stuff. Wow, 280k would have to be the most I've heard for a car...the football buses at my high school had at the time close to like 400k miles on em...think they were used in the Civil War or something...thx for the feedback too on the tranny, seems that applies also for the fuel injection cleaner thingy.

As for the thread, you mean asking members to post mileage on their Escalade's n what mileage they had certain repairs done, right? That'd sounds kinda interesting, I may have to give it a whirl n find out.

Thanks so much!

Dom

the cadillac man
06-06-13, 11:16 PM
Cool stuff. Wow, 280k would have to be the most I've heard for a car...the football buses at my high school had at the time close to like 400k miles on em...think they were used in the Civil War or something...thx for the feedback too on the tranny, seems that applies also for the fuel injection cleaner thingy.

As for the thread, you mean asking members to post mileage on their Escalade's n what mileage they had certain repairs done, right? That'd sounds kinda interesting, I may have to give it a whirl n find out.

Thanks so much!

Dom

It also applies for the injector cleaner

Yep you can ask either for just mileage or both mileage and repairs it would be a interesting thread

nanette
09-29-13, 11:56 AM
So... as someone interested in possibly, maybe, buying an Escalade, I'm curious what the outcome was here.