: Sputtering when accelerating 08 3.6 L di

frais
06-05-13, 01:06 AM
(if you have a similar post please send me link if you can)
Hey guy, not sure if something similar has already been posted but I've come across an issue with my Cadillac.
I'm just shy over 55k miles and started to notice that there is some light sputtering happening with accelerating with over 3000 rpm. I noticed it when getting on the freeway. I would feel it but its very light so I at first I thought it was in my head. My wife then took it to her base roughly over 100 miles and she told me that she felt some heavier sputtering randomly on her trip. Then I realized it wasn't just me. It happens when accelerating , no sputtering noticeable when idling or cruising. I read around and seen some post saying it could be with my air intake ranging from dirty MAF or filter or lose to dirty wires. I checked all these off except for my filter which Im waiting for to be mailed in. I'm thinking its probably not my air intake or filter. Next step it to check my spark plugs, but at only 55k?

-when I cleaned my MAF with MAF cleaner I felt like i worsen the sputtering.
-I also have felt like my idle was rough, but just thought Cadillac was like that.
-also will head to autozone to check if any codes show up.

anpirz
06-05-13, 07:28 AM
I have had the same issue. I'm at 70k though. Still, they are supposed to be changed at 100k. It could be a coil too, my misfire was subtle and didn't set off the check engine sensor

EVH5150
06-05-13, 09:05 PM
Its definitely a failed coil or two. I had a 1995 Chev Camaro with a 3.4L V-6 that did the exact same thing when accelerating. Rather than testing the coils I just replaced all of them and on that car they were cheap. After I replaced the coils the car and engine felt brand new, I honestly couldn't believe what a difference it made. Best part is my wife ended up driving that car for close to five years without one problem.
Hey guy, not sure if something similar has already been posted but I've come across an issue with my Cadillac.
I'm just shy over 55k miles and started to notice that there is some light sputtering happening with accelerating with over 3000 rpm. I noticed it when getting on the freeway. I would feel it but its very light so I at first I thought it was in my head. My wife then took it to her base roughly over 100 miles and she told me that she felt some heavier sputtering randomly on her trip. Then I realized it wasn't just me. It happens when accelerating , no sputtering noticeable when idling or cruising. I read around and seen some post saying it could be with my air intake ranging from dirty MAF or filter or lose to dirty wires. I checked all these off except for my filter which Im waiting for to be mailed in. I'm thinking its probably not my air intake or filter. Next step it to check my spark plugs, but at only 55k?

-I also have felt like my idle was rough, but just thought Cadillac was like that.

Jschmank
06-06-13, 12:51 AM
coil number 3 seems to be a recurring problem with 08 3.6DI's. I had mine go bad but it did set off the check engine light, which would flicker on and off under heavy acceleration.

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-06-13, 12:02 PM

Hi frais,

I am sorry you are experiencing a sputtering issue while accelerating with your CTS. I see you were going to check if codes show up on your vehicle. Please keep us updated, and if you feel you need further assistance, or would like to discuss your concerns, don't hesitate to reach out to me via private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

frais
06-06-13, 11:33 PM
So I swapped my air filter out with a new KN and took it for a test drive. I didn't notice the sputtering in my quick 10 minute drive, but this is a good sign. Also I did notice a difference in my engine performance with this filter, so that's a plus. Will give it more drive time and will post if I feel it. I've did a quick glance check on my wires and everything seems nice and tide down. Going out for a ohm meter just to make sure all is in working order.