: 4.9 Cable Wrapping Questions

EldoRedo
06-04-13, 11:35 PM
Folks,

I am redoing all of my split-loom cable/wire bundle wrappings, and as this is a second engine, most traces of "factory" installation are gone. Tonight I redid the main wire bundle from behind the I/P on the r/h side, across the rear valve cover, then down under where the air box would go. This run has several branch points -- am I correct that such junctions are nothing more than the feeders emerging from the split, with the feeder wraps just butting up against the main run? Or, as the drawings in the Service Manual suggest, should these junctions be wrapped with electrical tape?

In the photo you can see the run I did tonight emerge after it comes off of the valve cover, then it has a major branch near the metal cable clip, and a second branch area a few inches later. I went ahead and ran the new wrap as far along as I could, knowing I can always cut it back.

And that raises my other question -- the new wrap is a little too big for the metal clip -- suggesting that, at least for thus run, I should be switching to a smaller diameter wrap and not trying to extend the "main" wrap as far as I can?? And THEN the question is -- is it more common practice to always use a new piece (even of the same diameter) when "leaving" a branch/junction?

Thanks for any help!

EldoRedo
06-16-13, 12:24 AM
Well -- for those interested:

I have wrapped the junctions with black silicone self-fusing tape. I would highly recommend it. Looks just like electrical tape but none of the eventual melti-ness and loose ends. I also did switch to a smaller diameter after the lower branch above, which worked out fine because I wrapped that area anyway as a junction.

Only thing I can tell you is that the original factory ends I found (against connectors) were wrapped with maybe half-inch shiny black cloth tape.

I made the metal clip fit by scrunching the loom a bit inside itself and used a pair of pliers!

HUF
06-22-13, 10:00 PM
Looks good!

EldoRedo
06-23-13, 09:54 PM
Well thanks -- here's the final result:

HUF
06-29-13, 11:14 PM
Nice. You seem to be a perfectionist!

EldoRedo
07-01-13, 11:02 PM
Yeah I plead almost guilty! I accept that I am not aiming for concours-quality, just spiffing up my almost 24 model-year-old car for my own enjoyment. In this case, I just got tired of putting the hood up and seeing an engine bay that I had let go a little bit. So it's not perfection but a lot better usually when I'm done and that's my goal...