: 2000 DeVille Stereo install

motors4fun
01-27-05, 06:55 PM
Just got my car and was looking to put a din sized aftermarket radio into my car. i did some research on line and one place said that i would have to keep my radio and put it into the trunk so my A/C would still work and another place said i could do it but i would need to run all new wires to the speakers because of the factory amp. I am just looking to see what exactly needs to be done so that i know what i am getting into before I start my project. also, anybody know of a place where i can get a dash kit? I think I might have to do a custom one, every other kit stops at 1999 devilles.
Thanks in advance for any help you guys may provide.

motors4fun
01-29-05, 02:11 PM
I guess I am either the first to try this or nobody had any luck with this. I took out the factory radio today and found that all the electronics are still in perfect working order, ie, heat, A/C, no idiot lights. so my next step is to figure out the power, accesorie, ground wires, then run all new speaker cables, fabricate a faceplate. I will keep you all posted on my progress.

Stoneage_Caddy
01-29-05, 02:56 PM
Moved your thread dude , i think youll get more response here ...Good luck , heard bad sotrys of late model caddys with aftermarket head units in them

D148L0
01-29-05, 05:32 PM
This link has the wiring diagram for your car:

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/detail.asp?info=alarm&year=2000&make=Cadillac&model=Deville&ID=17309&type=Stereo

Keep posting your updates.

redhawks2
01-30-05, 09:28 AM
I want to tag along on this thread too. I've heard way too many conflicting stories about what is possible and what is not.

motors4fun
01-30-05, 01:39 PM
today is the second day I have driven around without any radio hooked up. Still no problems with anything at all. I suspect I am having such good luck is the car is a base model with no navigation system and a tape deck. nothing fancy in the car at all. I would like to say thanks for the help in refering me to the 12volt website. I got exactly what I needed. So i am off to wire up the car this afternoon. I will keep you all posted.

D148L0
01-30-05, 06:22 PM
I'm glad it was useful.
Keep posting your updates...

motors4fun
01-31-05, 08:36 PM
so far the wiring diagram is not correct. the only wire that matched up was the 12 volt positive. no big deal really since i am going to run all new speaker wire anyway. I have also found out that the 99 deville face plate will fit the contour of the dash and I will have very minimal fabricating to do. should be all wired up and installed by the saturday afternoon.

axapowell
02-02-05, 12:17 AM
I can get you a dash kit for a 2000 DeVille that will fit perfectly

motors4fun
02-03-05, 11:39 AM
I wish i had run into you a couple of days ago. I ended up using the dash kit for the 99 deville and made a bracket to adapt the radio into it. it was a pain but came out real nice. Do you have pictures you can send me of the bracket? what about a wire harness? It would be nice to use the existing plug for atleast the power and ground. any help you have can be sent to motors4fun@hotmail.com.

thanks,
Eric

motors4fun
02-05-05, 07:36 PM
Well I got most of the wiring done today. I ended up running 4 wires and an RCA cable to the trunk. The reason for this is it is nearly impossible to thread new wires to the door speakers. so what i did was run 4 new speaker cables to the trunk and Ohmed out the connector to find out which wires went to each speaker from there. tomorrow I will be connecting my wires to the amp wires (without conneting it to the factory amp of coarse) and finishing up putting dash together. If anyone wants the color coordination let me know and i will post my findings.

D148L0
02-05-05, 09:13 PM
Please post it so it can be used by other members in the same situation.
Thanks!

motors4fun
02-08-05, 04:40 AM
well everything is done and all is well. the sound is good and I still don't have any problems with idiot lights and elecrical warnings. If anyone is interested the color codes for the speakers are as follows.

front driver door +dark blue, - light blue

front passenger door +orange, - green

driver side rear +white, - creme

passenger side rear, +red, - creme.

these are on the smaller connector leaving the amplifier.

driver pillar +black -creme

passenger pillar +purple -lime green

center dash +light blue -yellow

sub left +green with black stripe - dark blue with white stripe.

sub right +light blue with black stripe -solid green.

these last five are on the larger connector.

on both connectors the pos and neg are right next to each other. hope this will help some of you out there. Good luck to all and thanks for the help you have provided me

01devilledts
02-09-05, 12:49 AM
Just run new wires for the whole thing dont use factory wiring. youll be happier in the long run.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/01devilledts:yup:

check mine out on here ^

cmgrafmc
08-18-05, 10:13 PM
You did a good job on your conversion. Could you both post some larger pictures here?

OffThaHorseCEO
08-19-05, 09:57 AM
so how are the chimes, and the DIC? everything workin well, im assumin you lost sterring wheel control right?

heres an idea i had about aftermarket stereos and retaining steering wheel controls, if you could take an aftermarket steering wheel remote, and pop it open to revel the wires, coulnt you then wire it to the steering wheel wires?

motors4fun
08-19-05, 03:40 PM
The stereo worked extremely well. You are right though, I did lose steering wheel function. This was a small price to pay for my sake. I do know that there is a universal aftermarked adapter that mimics your radio's wireless remote and can take inputs from the steering wheel and make it work. I have no experiance with that so I can not comment on the way it works. but you will have no problems with the install if you do it the same way as I did. good luck and if you have any questions feel free to write back.

cmgrafmc
08-19-05, 10:25 PM
Heres an idea i had about aftermarket stereos and retaining steering wheel controls, if you could take an aftermarket steering wheel remote, and pop it open to revel the wires, coulnt you then wire it to the steering wheel wires?

I was thinking about that a while ago, too, in case I ever get a newer Caddy. I use the wheel remote for my Pioneer so often that I don't want a stereo WITHOUT steeringwheel controls. I bet it could be done pretty easily. Just solder a few wires and find a place for the battery that's not too difficult to get to. You'd have to mount the IR somewhere reasonable...unless it's RF! =D

weister42
08-22-05, 01:12 AM
I want to tag along on this thread too. I've heard way too many conflicting stories about what is possible and what is not.

Ya My 98 Deville(stock tapedeck) will go into sleep mode without my factory radio so I have to move the factory radio somewhere else while still plugged in, and run my own wires for the new stereo.