: Hello all! Just joined, recommended from LS1tech.com! Couple of questions

fozjared
06-04-13, 09:05 PM
Hello, just bought a 2008 STS-V, 38k miles got a great deal! installed the lockpick harness, works great! anyway, I have a few questions:

how to stop door and seat belt dinger!?

I have a check engine light, will the info center display a code for me?

my windshield wiper spray tank has a leak, is this common?

thanks so much everyone!

Guy.Seminerio
06-04-13, 09:31 PM
I can answer your second question.. No the DIC doesn't do codes anymore.

1madstsv
06-04-13, 10:28 PM
Fasten Your seat belt and close your door. And no a leaking tank is not common.

Guy.Seminerio
06-04-13, 11:50 PM
Is that what you meant by the belt thing?? No I don't have that issue. I don't buckle my seatbelt until I pull out of the garage and drive I couple hundred feet. Never had that issue.

----------

Drive a couple hundred feet.

carter's_sts
06-05-13, 12:05 AM
My washer fluid leaks slowly until about 2/3 full, then stops. Tried to get the dealer to figure it out, now I just live with it.

My seat belt dinger sounds for the passenger while just sitting and for the driver if I start to drive (and don't have the belt fastened).

fozjared
06-05-13, 12:18 AM
my washer fluid leaks out completely dry, thinking maybe the hose connection came loose on the bottom or broke off.. I guess I will have to go get autozone to pull the code for me.. and the door and seat belt dinger comes thru in the drivers dash speaker, just thought there might be a way to turn it off!? Can't stand a door dinger! when i am cleaning the interior i like to listen to the radio without dinging!

Guy.Seminerio
06-05-13, 12:58 AM
Ohhhh!! Yeah when I'm doing the leather in the car and I'm in the driver's seat I have to sit through the constant chiming. I like to run the music while I'm working on the interior. If acc is off and the door is open, no music. As for the seatbelts, weird how the car will do the 5 chimes even before the car is put in gear when seatbelts are off. Speaking of which, I recently read in one of the automotive press magazines about some car, can't remember, maybe viper? That had a track version where everything was stripped from it except bare necessities in order to save weight. And it mentioned that the normal sound system was replaced with a single speaker because regulations required at least one speaker so seatbelt warning chimes could be played. So that being said, I doubt the warning chimes are avoidable.

----------

Unplug the speaker where the chime comes from?

Fierofiend
06-05-13, 08:13 AM
Doesn't the chime stop when you put the car to ON instead of ACC? Last time I was cleaning the interior, I'm almost certain that worked for me. I think the ebrake will bypass the headlights like on my grand prix too. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Guy.Seminerio
06-05-13, 08:53 AM
Well you got off, acc, and the car running (on). If the car is either on or off and the door is open no chime. But with off, no music and with on, you could die if you're in the garage. Am I wrong? There's no other "ignition position" right? I know on cars with a real key there's on without starting. Then you start it and it defaults back to accessories I believe.

carter's_sts
06-05-13, 12:19 PM
We have that......hold down to ACC for a few seconds and it goes to On, with no engine running.

Problem is it turns on everything and will run the battery down pretty fast.

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-05-13, 12:41 PM
Hello, just bought a 2008 STS-V, 38k miles got a great deal! installed the lockpick harness, works great! anyway, I have a few questions:

how to stop door and seat belt dinger!?

I have a check engine light, will the info center display a code for me?

my windshield wiper spray tank has a leak, is this common?

thanks so much everyone!

Hi fozjared,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your 2008 STS-V! Seems like you got a great deal and I hope you are enjoying it so far :) As you can already tell, members are highly active on these sites, and I can see some have answered your questions for you. I am here to help assist you with any questions or concerns. So don't hesitate to reach out to us!

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

bobs-sts-v
06-05-13, 12:51 PM
For those with the leaky/leaking/empty washer tanks: They do crack. Mine was cracked near the bottom and had to be replaced. Was still under warranty at the time, so no idea of cost.
Dealer said the plastic will dry out and crack if the tank stays near empty for some time (not using your wipers enough!).

Bob

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-05-13, 02:56 PM
For those with the leaky/leaking/empty washer tanks: They do crack. Mine was cracked near the bottom and had to be replaced. Was still under warranty at the time, so no idea of cost.
Dealer said the plastic will dry out and crack if the tank stays near empty for some time (not using your wipers enough!).

Bob

Hello Bob,

Thanks for sharing this information with everyone. I am sure they appreciate it. Please contact us if you have any questions or concerns that arise!

Sincerely,

Laura M.

fozjared
06-05-13, 06:16 PM
Thanks Laura, and thanks for all the info people!! This feels a lot like LS1tech.com, great community!! Yeah the only option i can see is disconnecting the one speaker, however, I lose the speaker for all music too!!

fozjared
06-05-13, 07:42 PM
one other quick question, to remove the outrageous hunk of plastic over the engine/ s/c, do you have to remove the bar between the strut tower tops? should the nuts be torqued when reinstalling the bar? I sold all my mechanic's tools when I decided to become a pilot..

Nimoch
06-05-13, 09:02 PM
From what I've read, yes you do. There's a few posts hiding around somewhere like "removing engine cover" etc. Wait for the true experts to pipe in before taking my word for it.

Guy.Seminerio
06-06-13, 12:07 AM
I just removed my cover. Yes you remove the strut bar and then you lift up on the cover. It's secured down on either side if I recall correctly. I put the strut bar back on and tightened as much as I could. It was practically impossible to get it off in the first place so there's no way I got it as tight when putting it back on. But the truth is I don't know if its supposed to be torqued. Like nimoch says, wait for the true experts.

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-06-13, 11:55 AM
Thanks Laura, and thanks for all the info people!! This feels a lot like LS1tech.com, great community!! Yeah the only option i can see is disconnecting the one speaker, however, I lose the speaker for all music too!!

You are welcome fozjared! Enjoy interacting with other Cadillac lovers.

Regards,

Laura M.

TimmyC
06-06-13, 01:15 PM
I'm sure there is a torque spec for that but I'm also sure it makes no difference. just get it tight and you'll be fine.

boomys10
06-06-13, 03:56 PM
strut bar is 90ft lbs trq per factory. just get it tight and your good though. ive had mine off MANY times. no issues.

----------

forjared, as for the speaker issue. the thing chimes ALL TIMES as if the door is never shut?

fozjared
06-06-13, 07:26 PM
thx boomys, and no just when i have the door open and radio playing, or when I make a short trip down my backroad and I don't have my seatbelt on..