: dropped off my car for 1st scheduled maintenance....had question on mpg

is250sp
06-04-13, 03:41 PM
So I dropped off my car for 1st oil change and my service guy ask if there are any other issues. I told him I drive 30/70 city/hwy and getting 19 mpg. He tells me thats normal. Seriously? I didn't even bother to argue the 17/27 mileage claim. The rental I got is a brand new CTS sedan with about 500 miles and the avg mpg reading is 16.6 lol. I guess I cant complain right?

On a related note I was hoping that a long road trip would boost my mpg so I did a round trip of 400 miles total normal speed of 70-75. Prior to the trip I averaged 18.9, afterwards it read 19.1.....still nothing to write home about :(

Jagillac
06-04-13, 04:40 PM
Have you ever reset the avg mpg in your car? If not just hold the check mark until it resets and see how well you do on a trip. The counter is continuous and will keep averaging from the last time it was reset. Just a thought.

is250sp
06-04-13, 04:45 PM
Have you ever reset the avg mpg in your car? If not just hold the check mark until it resets and see how well you do on a trip. The counter is continuous and will keep averaging from the last time it was reset. Just a thought. Yes many times but I've given up

Jagillac
06-04-13, 04:48 PM
Yes many times but I've given up

Well there goes my idea. I have noticed it is HARD not to drive these cars aggressively lol maybe that's it.

is250sp
06-04-13, 05:04 PM
Well there goes my idea. I have noticed it is HARD not to drive these cars aggressively lol maybe that's it.

I rarely drive aggressively. As a matter of fact, I purchased the car based on 2 factors.....looks and mpg. That's why I didn't get the V.

ROC OUT
06-04-13, 05:41 PM
Not trying to cause you worry but something seems wrong. I just bought a used 2008 CTS DI sedan exactly two months ago today. I drive about 30 miles to and from work each day and am averaging 22 mpg. Went from Austin to Edmond, Oklahoma (25 miles north of Oklahoma City) over Memorial Day weekend. This was the first "long" trip in the CTS. My mpg to and from was 28.6 with mostly highway driving at 75 to 80 mph. I thought 28.6 was a little low but maybe not.

reciprocity
06-04-13, 07:04 PM
I noticed my mileage improve somewhat after about 5,000 miles. It's possible the car is still breaking in.

My lifetime average mileage on my 2009 CTS is now 20.8 MPG with about 55,000 miles on the car. On long trips, I can get 23-24 MPG, but I try to stay at the posted speed limit and keep my foot out of it. Ironically, I seem to get slightly better mileage if I do 75-80 on the freeway, but I'd rather spend money on gas than speeding tickets. I do mainly stop-and-go city driving (it's why I bought an automatic, second-generation CTS) and generally get 18-19 MPG around town.

Bottom line: it's a heavy, performance luxury car. Consider the Volt or Cruz diesel if you're concerned about mileage.

DEVIL1
06-04-13, 07:42 PM
Have you tried driving with the wind behind you at 45 mph with the windows rolled up, tires over inflated for better roll resistance, no passengers at 3:00 A.M. when there is no traffic and the terrain is adequate.I did not consider a Volt or Cruze when I read the window sticker on my 13 coupe. Bottom line......GM has deceived buyers by posting 28/17 mpgs on these cars.

angelbones
06-04-13, 08:35 PM
Please, not another mpg thread!!!

dreiloft
06-04-13, 08:49 PM

:):) Seats are next.

jeffc83
06-04-13, 11:03 PM

You literally read my mind! (was too lazy to post it earlier)

And those seats...don't get me started. (lol, jk)

snofun3
06-05-13, 06:46 AM
Right as said earllier, look at the MANY MPG threads, and what you're getting is not unusual.

If MPG is really your reason for getting it, you've got the wrong car.

MaxBuck
06-05-13, 09:57 AM
Have you tried driving with the wind behind you at 45 mph with the windows rolled up, tires over inflated for better roll resistance, no passengers at 3:00 A.M. when there is no traffic and the terrain is adequate.I did not consider a Volt or Cruze when I read the window sticker on my 13 coupe. Bottom line......GM has deceived buyers by posting 28/17 mpgs on these cars.The car tests what it tests. The numbers on the sticker result from the test, which is run in accordance with EPA protocols. GM has deceived no one.

is250sp
06-05-13, 10:35 AM
Have you tried driving with the wind behind you at 45 mph with the windows rolled up, tires over inflated for better roll resistance, no passengers at 3:00 A.M. when there is no traffic and the terrain is adequate.I did not consider a Volt or Cruze when I read the window sticker on my 13 coupe. Bottom line......GM has deceived buyers by posting 28/17 mpgs on these cars.

My thoughts exactly! I am always perplexed whenever there is a mpg discussion there are always some ppl saying to get a more efficient car. What they fail to understand is it's not an issue of mpg, the real issue is GM's false inflated 17/28 rating. These numbers are a major contributing factor when buying a new car. I've never ever owned an American car in my life before, and would have never ever even considered one until I saw the CTS Coupe....factor 1 checked. It then had me at 17/28...factor 2 checked....I was sold.

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-05-13, 10:51 AM
So I dropped off my car for 1st oil change and my service guy ask if there are any other issues. I told him I drive 30/70 city/hwy and getting 19 mpg. He tells me thats normal. Seriously? I didn't even bother to argue the 17/27 mileage claim. The rental I got is a brand new CTS sedan with about 500 miles and the avg mpg reading is 16.6 lol. I guess I cant complain right?

On a related note I was hoping that a long road trip would boost my mpg so I did a round trip of 400 miles total normal speed of 70-75. Prior to the trip I averaged 18.9, afterwards it read 19.1.....still nothing to write home about :(

Hello is250sp,

I wanted to reach out to you after reading these interactions. There are certain things that factor into a MPG which include the maintenance of the vehicle, driving habits of the owner, and the terrain which the vehicle is driven on. A vehicle takes about 3,000-5,000 miles during the engine-break in period to obtain the optimal fuel economy. The site, www.fueleconomy.gov is a great way to help research and answer fuel economy questions. I hope this helps, and if there is anything else you would like to further discuss, please let me know!

Regards,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

is250sp
06-05-13, 11:40 AM
Hello is250sp,

I wanted to reach out to you after reading these interactions. There are certain things that factor into a MPG which include the maintenance of the vehicle, driving habits of the owner, and the terrain which the vehicle is driven on. A vehicle takes about 3,000-5,000 miles during the engine-break in period to obtain the optimal fuel economy. The site, www.fueleconomy.gov is a great way to help research and answer fuel economy questions. I hope this helps, and if there is anything else you would like to further discuss, please let me know!

Regards,

Laura M.

Laura, the car has over 6k miles and has been averaging from 18.x - 19 since day one. As stated above I drive 30/70 city/hwy (on flat Texas roads) and rarely hit the gas. To compare, my last car had a rating of 21/29. It averaged 26 consistently even maxed at 31 on a long trip. The driving habits of that car and this one are exactly the same.

C "T" ess
06-05-13, 05:47 PM
You literally read my mind! (was too lazy to post it earlier)

And those seats...don't get me started. (lol, jk)
And Cadillac customer service. I've been waiting over six months for a promised call back.

jeffc83
06-05-13, 06:04 PM
And Cadillac customer service. I've been waiting over six months for a promised call back.

I'm sure glad you didn't hold your breath the whole time!

hauler
06-05-13, 06:15 PM
My 2013 now has 7800 miles on it in 6 months. I just got back from a long weekend ride from IL to AR. I averaged 24 on 1300 miles of 75 to 80 mph through heavy weather on the highway, and about 70 miles of city driving. My wife will tell you that I drive it like the Corvette it replaced, which needed a tail wind to get above 20 on the highway at 75 to 80.

Check this: set cruise to 75 on a level road. My wagon reads 28.5 mpg ( instantaneous ) that way.

Is your car AWD? Which engine does it have?

DEVIL1
06-05-13, 07:39 PM
The car tests what it tests. The numbers on the sticker result from the test, which is run in accordance with EPA protocols. GM has deceived no one.
I guess all these MPG threads are bogus then. Don't always beileve what you read. Hyundai just admitted that they inflated their MPG numbers by at least 2 MPG. They also conducted their tests in accordance with EPA. Every time these posts come up people suggest that may be a Volt or Cruze should have been considered in the purchased instead of the Cadillac or that these are heavy cars and so on. Were these cars any lighter when they were being tested? You also get the " adequate" road conditions. Were these cars tested going down hill only? Come on, If tests were performed how the F@$K did they come up with these numbers. Forget asking if it is AWD or 2WD. If the window sticker on your individual vehicle states an estimated MPG, actual MPG should be close to those numbers. Not everyone drives the same, not all roads are the same. I personally considered buying other cars but I was attracted to the CTS due to its looks, performance and alledged economy. Good gas mileage on regular gas versus other imports with the same or better gas mileage on super gas. So do not be so sure that GM has deceived no one when there are so many unsatisfied customers on this Forum. Highly unlikely that every one has a lead foot and is constantly driving in traffic and uphill with a heavy load and so on.

gohawks63
06-05-13, 10:12 PM

Last March when i was shopping for new wheels. i was wondering if it was material if i went with a wheel that was 1/2 wider. I was told that they were going to check on a question. Still waiting.

----------

I guess all these MPG threads are bogus then. Don't always beileve what you read. Hyundai just admitted that they inflated their MPG numbers by at least 2 MPG. They also conducted their tests in accordance with EPA. Every time these posts come up people suggest that may be a Volt or Cruze should have been considered in the purchased instead of the Cadillac or that these are heavy cars and so on. Were these cars any lighter when they were being tested? You also get the " adequate" road conditions. Were these cars tested going down hill only? Come on, If tests were performed how the F@$K did they come up with these numbers. Forget asking if it is AWD or 2WD. If the window sticker on your individual vehicle states an estimated MPG, actual MPG should be close to those numbers. Not everyone drives the same, not all roads are the same. I personally considered buying other cars but I was attracted to the CTS due to its looks, performance and alledged economy. Good gas mileage on regular gas versus other imports with the same or better gas mileage on super gas. So do not be so sure that GM has deceived no one when there are so many unsatisfied customers on this Forum. Highly unlikely that every one has a lead foot and is constantly driving in traffic and uphill with a heavy load and so on.

My OnStar app is showing a lifetime mpg of 21. I reset my average mpg about four or five tankful s ago and it is indicating a little over 22 mpg. I drive "suburban" driving.

jeffc83
06-05-13, 10:36 PM

Last March when i was shopping for new wheels. i was wondering if it was material if i went with a wheel that was 1/2 wider. I was told that they were going to check on a question. Still waiting.

----------

My OnStar app is showing a lifetime mpg of 21. I reset my average mpg about four or five tankful s ago and it is indicating a little over 22 mpg. I drive "suburban" driving.

Regarding your gas mileage, I just don't get it. I'm averaging 19 again and am not flooring it here. No hills either. A/C is off. Your comment does make me wonder why mine is still so low. (end rant) Ok, I'm over it again...lol. It's too nice of a car to worry about a few mpgs!

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-06-13, 08:12 AM

Hello C "T" ess,

I apologize for any inconveniences you have encountered with a General Motors representative. If you would like to discuss this further and also have a case number to reference, please private message me with your name, VIN, and case number.

Sincerely,

Laura M.

C "T" ess
06-06-13, 08:19 AM
I never received the case number as promised, just like the call back. I wound up just giving up. The dealer said they didn't have an answer and couldn't find one. They were also looking for help, but of course none was forthcoming.
Hello C "T" ess,

I apologize for any inconveniences you have encountered with a General Motors representative. If you would like to discuss this further and also have a case number to reference, please private message me with your name, VIN, and case number.

Sincerely,

Laura M.

jghiller
06-06-13, 08:48 AM

Not sure why yours is so low. With my 12 Premium Coupe and trips from SC to NJ and back, average speed of 65mph on a great day traveling 70-75, I get around 26mph. Not as good as my 08 3.6L got but with the DI engine, mpg is known to be lower. Are you resetting mpg and average speed numbers prior to trip? I use cruise control as much as possible to eliminate fatigue.

gohawks63
06-06-13, 10:12 AM

----------

Regarding your gas mileage, I just don't get it. I'm averaging 19 again and am not flooring it here. No hills either. A/C is off. Your comment does make me wonder why mine is still so low. (end rant) Ok, I'm over it again...lol. It's too nice of a car to worry about a few mpgs![/QUOTE]

I don't remember if you or the OP have AWD. My experience is that city/stop and go, impacts AWD much more significantly than a comparable RWD car. My last car was an Acura RL that had AWD, with that car I too averaged between 21-23 mpg in my typical driving, but at times experienced mileage as low as 17mpg and as high as 27mpg when taking long trips with speeds that didn't exceed 75 mph. With my CTS I have only taken one moderately long distance drive but I don't think I reset the mpg indicator before the trip.

hauler
06-06-13, 10:29 AM
Things i do to edge my mileage up:

Cold tire pressure 40 psi (my tires have max=44)
Use cruise control whenever possible
Never warm up standing still after cold start
Combine local short trips when possible
Always use 87 octane ( as recommended for my engine) or lowest available
Use ethanol free gasoline when possible (ethanol lowers mileage)

MaxBuck
06-06-13, 11:32 AM
I guess all these MPG threads are bogus then. Don't always beileve what you read. Hyundai just admitted that they inflated their MPG numbers by at least 2 MPG. They also conducted their tests in accordance with EPA. Every time these posts come up people suggest that may be a Volt or Cruze should have been considered in the purchased instead of the Cadillac or that these are heavy cars and so on. Were these cars any lighter when they were being tested? You also get the " adequate" road conditions. Were these cars tested going down hill only? Come on, If tests were performed how the F@$K did they come up with these numbers. Forget asking if it is AWD or 2WD. If the window sticker on your individual vehicle states an estimated MPG, actual MPG should be close to those numbers. Not everyone drives the same, not all roads are the same. I personally considered buying other cars but I was attracted to the CTS due to its looks, performance and alledged economy. Good gas mileage on regular gas versus other imports with the same or better gas mileage on super gas. So do not be so sure that GM has deceived no one when there are so many unsatisfied customers on this Forum. Highly unlikely that every one has a lead foot and is constantly driving in traffic and uphill with a heavy load and so on.If you choose to believe there is a conspiracy, you're welcome to your belief. But it's highly unlikely you're right.

As to Hyundai "inflating their MPG," I am ending my lease on a Kia Sorento SUV that consistently has approximated its MPG test results. Kia is owned by Hyundai. Not sure which models Hyundai purportedly cheated the test on, but it wasn't the Sorento based on my experience.

is250sp
06-06-13, 11:45 AM
If you choose to believe there is a conspiracy, you're welcome to your belief. But it's highly unlikely you're right.

As to Hyundai "inflating their MPG," I am ending my lease on a Kia Sorento SUV that consistently has approximated its MPG test results. Kia is owned by Hyundai. Not sure which models Hyundai purportedly cheated the test on, but it wasn't the Sorento based on my experience.

how about doing some research first before posting http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/labelchange.htm

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-06-13, 11:47 AM
I never received the case number as promised, just like the call back. I wound up just giving up. The dealer said they didn't have an answer and couldn't find one. They were also looking for help, but of course none was forthcoming.

Hi C "T" ess,

I am sorry this happened to you. I understand how this must have been frustrating. If you would like to further discuss the situation, please private message me so we can continue our interactions.

Regards,

Laura M.

jeffc83
06-06-13, 12:20 PM
Regarding your gas mileage, I just don't get it. I'm averaging 19 again and am not flooring it here. No hills either. A/C is off. Your comment does make me wonder why mine is still so low. (end rant) Ok, I'm over it again...lol. It's too nice of a car to worry about a few mpgs!

I don't remember if you or the OP have AWD. My experience is that city/stop and go, impacts AWD much more significantly than a comparable RWD car. My last car was an Acura RL that had AWD, with that car I too averaged between 21-23 mpg in my typical driving, but at times experienced mileage as low as 17mpg and as high as 27mpg when taking long trips with speeds that didn't exceed 75 mph. With my CTS I have only taken one moderately long distance drive but I don't think I reset the mpg indicator before the trip.[/QUOTE]

I'm not the OP but do appreciate your feedback...I did notice my mpgs went up to 20-21 when I pulled the AWD fuse. (One tanks worth) I'm happy with 19 but makes me think of my STS with the northstar engine...always got 18-19 in the same conditions.

donaldw9521
06-06-13, 02:36 PM
one of the biggest reasons for less mialage on the coupe is that they put a diff. rear end ratio in the coupe...about 150-250 more rpm at 70 mph. thus less mileage..i know, because i had a 08 sedan that got 27-30 mpg on hyway verses my 2012 coupe getting 24-25 mpg...didn't know till after i bought it

DEVIL1
06-06-13, 05:11 PM
If you choose to believe there is a conspiracy, you're welcome to your belief. But it's highly unlikely you're right.

No conspiracy theory here but the truth. I also own a 2012 Elantra and received a letter from Huyndai apologizing and giving a refund per mile driven. Not the first time car manufactures have done this.

how about doing some research first before posting http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/labelchange.htm
Thank you for re-inforcing my conspiracy theory.

MaxBuck
06-06-13, 10:05 PM
how about doing some research first before posting http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/labelchange.htmWell, my Sorento has the V6, so I was right, from the perspective of my car. :)