: Navigation Disk Upgrade Sale

Z71
06-04-13, 03:31 PM
visit the official Cadillac mapupdate center (http://content.navteq.com/?RRTU.1jzmKKZGvk8hABKbocRowjlq3ZVR&http://www.gmnavdisc.com/cadillac/email)

Your map update is available
for $159.99.** (Regularly $199.99)
Get free shipping when you order by August 30, 2013.

Not affilated, just got a email on this offer so I ordered mine as its not been updated since new in 2009.

MoFex
06-04-13, 04:39 PM
ye, me too........I am seriously considering the update given it would be most likely the last one.....$160 is not such a bad price.

Jagillac
06-04-13, 04:41 PM
Do you think it would be worth it for my 2011 coupe :-S not sure if I should.

is250sp
06-04-13, 05:18 PM
Do you think it would be worth it for my 2011 coupe :-S not sure if I should.

I dont know but I think the nav on our cars is butt ugly and not that great. I've only used it a few times and once it kept making me take the small inside roads, and when I tried to change course, it wont re-route right away but instead insist me on going back to its suggested route. I prefer the native nav on my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

jeffc83
06-04-13, 05:33 PM
Damn, I have last year's update loaded...wonder if it is worth it.

BlGHUMMER
06-04-13, 06:58 PM
I got this e-mail as well. I was thinking about it but it still seems kinda expensive. Although the free shipping sweetens the deal lol. I am not sure but seems like you could get a decent Garmin or something similar for that money. Just wondering for people who have previously upgraded do you think it was worth it and did you notice that much of a difference compared to the older version?

jeffc83
06-04-13, 07:02 PM
I got this e-mail as well. I was thinking about it but it still seems kinda expensive. Although the free shipping sweetens the deal lol. I am not sure but seems like you could get a decent Garmin or something similar for that money. Just wondering for people who have previously upgraded do you think it was worth it and did you notice that much of a difference compared to the older version?

when I upgraded from the 08 maps to the 11 maps last year, it made a huge difference for me. More roads show up, better directions and a few more features were added such as the Detour option. I'm going to skip this one and if it is truly the last CTS update, oh well. (I always have my phone to get me there)

RAB
06-04-13, 08:02 PM
I have the 2012 maps installed, and I have yet to see any difference in map detail (compared to the 2011 maps) for the areas of Ontario and Michigan I typically drive in. For anyone who has 2011 or 2012 maps installed, I'd recommend not purchasing the 2013 maps... unless the price drops to $50 or $75 (yeah, and as if that's ever going to happen). For $160 I'd prefer to buy a portable Garmin unit with lifetime map updates, and use it as supplementary back-up to the factory nav system when going on long trips. Using one of the latest portable units you also get some added features (compared to the factory nav) such as an accurate GPS-based speed reference and a continually updated display of the posted speed limit for the roads you're traveling on.
BTW, I doubt we'll ever see map updates beyond the 2013 version for the 2nd gen CTS.

dreiloft
06-04-13, 08:15 PM
Just received email also.

jeffc83
06-04-13, 10:19 PM
I have the 2012 maps installed, and I have yet to see any difference in map detail (compared to the 2011 maps) for the areas of Ontario and Michigan I typically drive in. For anyone who has 2011 or 2012 maps installed, I'd recommend not purchasing the 2013 maps... unless the price drops to $50 or $75 (yeah, and as if that's ever going to happen). For $160 I'd prefer to buy a portable Garmin unit with lifetime maps, and use it as supplementary back-up to the factory nav system when going on long trips. Using one of the latest portable units you also get some added features (compared to the factory nav) such as an accurate GPS-based speed reference and a continually updated display of the posted speed limit for the roads you're traveling on.
BTW, I doubt we'll ever see map updates beyond the 2013 version for the 2nd gen CTS.

Thanks for the input RAB. I do have the 2012 (2011 map date) update and agree with you 100%...if they cut the price to 100, I'll do it but otherwise, it's just not worth it. We just had a bypass built here locally and am sure it won't show up with this update anyway. (the road just opened a few months ago) It's a shame that ill never get to see the new road in my CTS but life goes on...lol.

Just received the email too...

OMG
06-05-13, 12:15 AM
What I don't get is how BMW and Merc can update their Nav's 12 years and still for their cars and Caddy is going to discontinue theirs after just 5 years.

billeee
06-05-13, 08:49 AM
ye, me too........I am seriously considering the update given it would be most likely the last one.....$160 is not such a bad price.

$160 doesn't sound good to me. You can buy a portable GPS with lifetime map updates for about the same price. Car manufacturers need to smarten up.

tinman
06-05-13, 09:25 AM
Things that blow my mind with the nav we have...driving through mickey mouse land in Orlando...Interstate 4 is only referred to by its State Route number, it is not called "Interstate 4". How lame. And I am sure there are a lot of touristas who have no clue wtf that's all about. And when they end up in either Tampa or Daytona they realize they are lost.

MaxBuck
06-05-13, 10:01 AM
$160 doesn't sound good to me. You can buy a portable GPS with lifetime map updates for about the same price. Car manufacturers need to smarten up.Car GPS is going the Google Maps route so as to provide continual updates, so what we are going through is a short-lived phenomenon.

Does anyone know how to find out what date my current system is on? Purchased a used CTS but don't know whether previous owners may have updated the disk already.

MoFex
06-05-13, 12:12 PM
Car GPS is going the Google Maps route so as to provide continual updates, so what we are going through is a short-lived phenomenon.

Does anyone know how to find out what date my current system is on? Purchased a used CTS but don't know whether previous owners may have updated the disk already.

While in NAV screen press Info button on the console. Then select the NAV tab on the screen. It should show application and database rev info. Write it down and post here. I am sure someone will provide answer for you.

Merge
06-05-13, 01:46 PM
Save your money.
All they do is change the year/version number.

Z71
06-05-13, 02:38 PM
If the did that it would be fraud....................

Well now I know who make the GM Nav system/radio in the 09, its Alpine.

Line No 1
Product 22991499
Description GM Alpine HDD
Quantity 1
Item Status Released
Shipment Date 04-JUN-2013
Shipped By FEDEX

Merge
06-05-13, 03:33 PM
We tried to help you... Oh well.

johnachak
06-08-13, 01:57 PM
The very first post said the OP already ordered it.

----------

Why would they discontinue updates?

jeffc83
06-08-13, 03:04 PM
The very first post said the OP already ordered it.

----------

CUE is the new kid on the block so our NAV systems have been forgotten.

Z71
06-08-13, 03:50 PM
Some info

Got the update CD today, Running it now, have to key special code for update to proceed. Takes 3hr and 6 min to complete, have to have key on accessory mode. If you start the engine the process will suspend and start again once engine is off and key in on accessory. Almost 1 hr and at 15% of the map updates. It also included two (2) radio system updates which ran first.

MoFex
06-08-13, 04:03 PM
Z71,
thanks for the update. I think I will do the same ad fork the cash for the update. I am sure the last one....

jeffc83
06-08-13, 04:16 PM
Some info

Got the update CD today, Running it now, have to key special code for update to proceed. Takes 3hr and 6 min to complete, have to have key on accessory mode. If you start the engine the process will suspend and start again once engine is off and key in on accessory. Almost 1 hr and at 15% of the map updates. It also included two (2) radio system updates which ran first.

This is where I get ticked off. I shouldn't have to pay for another NAV update again to get an extra update to the radio system unless they are strictly improvements and not fixes. I'd sure like to know what's included in the "radio system update"...that might calm me down. lol

EChas3
06-08-13, 04:29 PM

If they have to discount them to get them off the shelves, why make moire?

Z71
06-09-13, 07:59 AM
This is where I get ticked off. I shouldn't have to pay for another NAV update again to get an extra update to the radio system unless they are strictly improvements and not fixes. I'd sure like to know what's included in the "radio system update"...that might calm me down. lol

I never knew there were any radio system updates until it told me on the screen it was updating the radio and that it went thru 2 radio system updates. What it updated is anyones guess. But I always had problems in that the radio would randomly come on by itself. We went out last night and put about 50 miles on car and the radio did not come on. I also notice I got more volume, before I needed to have it at near 3/4 vol to hear it, now its much better. So it must have been small bugs like this that you could call improvements.

I am not trying to sell anyone on this disk. My Nav system was the same as when it was new so I thought, why not.

Here the disk I got..
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/Z15_34396/pics%20to%20link%20to/DSC00181_zpsc5189ba3.jpg (http://s204.photobucket.com/user/Z15_34396/media/pics%20to%20link%20to/DSC00181_zpsc5189ba3.jpg.html)

----------

And if you have an 09 and wondering who makes the system.........................
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/Z15_34396/pics%20to%20link%20to/DSC00182_zps81c318d0.jpg (http://s204.photobucket.com/user/Z15_34396/media/pics%20to%20link%20to/DSC00182_zps81c318d0.jpg.html)

----------

I alread found one glaring error in the map data though. As soon as the fired up the Nav system for first time it showed map of my home naturally and there in big letters is says "SCHOOLCRAFT TOWNSHIP" but we are not in Schoolcraft TWP, its Torch Lake TWP. So now I got to see this error every dam time I have it zoomed in to less then 1/4 mile.

And the car I installed it in...................
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/Z15_34396/2009_CTS4/DSC00047_zpsf9d638c4.jpg (http://s204.photobucket.com/user/Z15_34396/media/2009_CTS4/DSC00047_zpsf9d638c4.jpg.html)

jeffc83
06-09-13, 10:47 AM
@ Z71- Thanks for the details about the radio update. I know you aren't trying to "sell us" on this NAV update and appreciate the info!

Your disc looks exactly like the one from last year...I also noticed yours says version 2, which is what I got after the whole update issue last year. (the install would fail at 94%) I'm sure it has newer maps/radio update though.

blankster
06-09-13, 09:48 PM
I may actually go for this one so long as it is not like the disaster of the past upgrades. I would be interested to see if there are any radio firmware upgrades.

jghiller
06-09-13, 10:21 PM
My experience with this release has been very slow route calculation times and for some reason choosing fastest route takes you off 4 lane highways to secondary roads to the point of being annoying. I often use the NAV for routes I know and use the expected time of arrival info for planning. Time and time again it keeps wanting me to go off the main roads where higher speeds are posted and wander thru the countryside on secondary roads and though congested roads loaded with shopping stores and traffic lights. Clearly staying on an interstate that might be a couple of miles longer is advisable when you can travel over 60mph and not sit still at traffic lights. Serious bugs. Will have to take some additional time to review the 3 routes selected to get more detail on the flawed logic of the system. But I still like it overall. As previously posted the NAV got me around an interstate road closure north of D.C. and I still made overall fair travel time. I would not know what or where to go with I-95 closed and loaded with traffic.

denny2000
06-11-13, 07:27 PM
What is the version number after you update? Does anyone know what the stock map version for a 09 CTS?
I just bought my CTS used and I am wondering if it has ever been updated before.

Stoneybroke
06-18-13, 04:52 PM
I would like to know the current version number also. My 2010 is version 2.5 and data is 1473.

RAB
06-18-13, 06:23 PM
I would like to know the current version number also. My 2010 is version 2.5 and data is 1473.

CONFIG information for 2013 Navigation update p/n 22991499 for 2008-2013 CTS:
Application version: 5.00.000
Map DB version: 14.114.23.032812.1e (March 28, 2012 map release date)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For ref/comparison, the CONFIG info for 2012 Navigation update p/n 22853812 for 2008-2013 CTS:
Application version: 4.11.0000
Map DB version: 14.104.22.053111.24 (disc version 1 - May 31, 2011 map release date)
Map DB version: 14.104.22.053111.1e (disc version 2 - May 31, 2011 map release date)

Chris Pelkey
06-19-13, 10:17 AM
My experience with this release has been very slow route calculation times and for some reason choosing fastest route takes you off 4 lane highways to secondary roads to the point of being annoying. I often use the NAV for routes I know and use the expected time of arrival info for planning. Time and time again it keeps wanting me to go off the main roads where higher speeds are posted and wander thru the countryside on secondary roads and though congested roads loaded with shopping stores and traffic lights. Clearly staying on an interstate that might be a couple of miles longer is advisable when you can travel over 60mph and not sit still at traffic lights. Serious bugs. Will have to take some additional time to review the 3 routes selected to get more detail on the flawed logic of the system. But I still like it overall. As previously posted the NAV got me around an interstate road closure north of D.C. and I still made overall fair travel time. I would not know what or where to go with I-95 closed and loaded with traffic.

I noticed the same thing on my recent trip, I have the new 2013 version and went through a lot of neighborhoods on short trips around towns I was not familiar with. We were on the go so much that I didn't pay too much attention to whether I hit fastest or easy route selection. I'll have to test it around town now that I'm back from my trip.

jghiller
06-21-13, 07:42 AM
I have never taken the time to review the routes chosen for each of the 3 choices. Thats the only way you can know which is better. Quite often the display on the screen wont tell you enough to decide. What happens on a long trip when you get off route for gas, etc., is an unknown - does it revert back to the original route chosen? I have seen some strange route re-calculations when returning to your route after getting gas, etc. And choosing a DEST while traveling can also come up with some interesting routes as opposed to being parked when selecting dest.

Stoneybroke
06-23-13, 01:07 AM
I've seen some poor performance occasionally with my system. Accuracy is poor. You have arrived, but you are a full city block from your destination. Routes can get weird and nav voice command will sometimes drop to a whisper. Conversely, the "bong" is ear splitting. Hopefully, the update will fix al least some of these problems.