Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Excessive headlight condensation

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Guy.Seminerio 
#1 ·
My 06 STS just hit 48k miles, passenger side headlight is full of large bead condensation the bulk of the time. Called the dealer who tried the labor code in the system with my mighty expensive GMMP Major Guard policy and was told they won't cover it. Granted could be worse things, but I paid thousands for the coverage and don't understand why this isn't considered a warranty part failure?
Anyone know who to call to speak to? I feel like Cadillac directly would help, judging by the previous posts by others, but no luck here in Rome or Utica, NY....very frustrated!

#2 ·
It specifically states on your contract that sealed beams are NOT covered. It also states that water intrusion (ie non coolant leaks) are not covered either. So I ask you what makes you think it would?!

It's a common problem easily fixed removed the lamp inspect the access door seals and reseal the entire assembly with your choice of sealer.

#3 ·
Hello rnkath08,

I understand how you would be frustrated that your headlight issue is not covered under your GMPP Major Guard. Here is a link, http://www.gmprotectionplan.com/majorguard.html that goes more into detail on what is and is not covered with your Major Guard. 1BadCadSTS did offer a possible fix for your issue. Let me know how things go and if you would like to discuss anything further. I can be reached via private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

#4 ·
There is a thread around here on doing it yourself. A local garage might be willing to do so with that as an aid.

You could also approach the dealer and see if you could convince them is is really 'excessive'. Maybe they would be willing to work with you on a split labor/parts? Are you a repeat customer?

You could also try to convince a Cadillac regional manager or service hotline rep. You never know how far 'nice but persistent' will get you.

#7 ·
will search up the DIY fix with sealants and see what I can do.
Why was I frustrated? "when the contract clearly states"....because I don't like when things aren't right, I wasn't thinking of the headlight as a lamp with a body surrounding it I was thinking as a headlight unit not performing as it ought to....and thinking that when I bought a brand specific warranty that the dealership said was bumper to bumper I kind of figured really all the stuff from bumper to bumper. I got a card in the mail, no brochure detailing all the specifics, figured I'd be covered if I ever needed something and hoped never to need anything, probably should've printed it then and set it in the file to refer to, just didn't do it, so thought I'd ask here as some folks had posted that they did get their headlights replaced previously and under original warranty.

#9 ·
Certified Pre-Owned before April '09 covered everything, just like the OEM warranty; bulbs, battery, etc. About the only non-covered items members ever reported were tires & brake pads. Even those were covered if a covered issue was the root cause.

GMPP used to be the best short of CPO.

No more.

#10 ·
I see why. Up until 2009 everytime someone got condensation in their sts headlamp, which is way too common, there goes $1300. Actually $1346.15 for one HID headlight and installation is what the dealer quoted me today. I'm paying a $500 deductible, so I'll let them install it. Idiot in a Hyundai in the next lane runs over a hubcap, pops up and into my passenger headlight. Outside lens is fine, inside the mirror finish plastic crap broke. Happened yesterday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.