: need help deciding on a used CTS-V

asilver
06-04-13, 11:49 AM
I have been looking at used CTS-V's for quite a while and have several to pick from but would appreciate some input from current owners on how they would go if they had these choices.

2009 36k miles, silver, grey stock wheels, recaros, no nav, no sunroof $42k *has airraid intake and aftermarket exhaust
2010 8k miles grey, recaros, nav, sunroof $44k...looks all stock
2010 30k miles, silver, custom rims, suspension, 585whp with engine mods, sunroof, nav, recaros$48k

Normally I'd go for the modded 2010 all day, however, the seller is not responsive, so I'm not sure he's actually motivated to sell, and I do like saving $6k to go to the 2009 above, but, I worry about not having nav/ sunroof...do you all miss that?

I also don't know if I would modify the CTS personally, I have an ariel atom for my trackday car, so this is my daily driver, which will replace a Lexus GS 350.

lend me your thoughts, thanks in advance.

Jinx
06-04-13, 12:07 PM
The middle one seems the better deal on paper -- a model year newer and 18K fewer miles and more options, and no hop-ups. Is that not worth $2K more for a daily driver?

I can't tell you whether or not you'd miss nav or sunroof. Depends on what you're coming from and how important such things are to you. Search your soul :) How often do you need directions, and do you like getting them from your smartphone?

A word of caution about the sunroof: the cover is translucent, so some light always comes through, like wearing a big loose-woven hat. It's not like a traditional small-opening moonroof with a thick sound-insulated cover panel.

asilver
06-04-13, 12:12 PM
The middle one seems the better deal on paper -- a model year newer and 18K fewer miles and more options, and no hop-ups. Is that not worth $2K more for a daily driver?

I can't tell you whether or not you'd miss nav or sunroof. Depends on what you're coming from and how important such things are to you. Search your soul :) How often do you need directions, and do you like getting them from your smartphone?

A word of caution about the sunroof: the cover is translucent, so some light always comes through, like wearing a big loose-woven hat. It's not like a traditional small-opening moonroof with a thick sound-insulated cover panel.

thanks for that info...on my Lexus I don't have navigation either, and never opened the sunroof.....I run my navigation from the iphone through the stereo bluetooth ad2p....which I just read is possible with the addition of a dongle on the cts....so it would be just what i'm used to now, although buying a new used car it would be kind of nice to get more amenities.

neuronbob
06-04-13, 01:00 PM
As a previous 2009 owner, nav was an option that year, and that year alone. No nav and no roof makes that car a rare beast....but not at that price, unless it is a 6MT.

I would go for the 2010 as it has fewer miles and no mods. You can then mod up the car any way you want.

Trapspeed
06-04-13, 01:17 PM
I'm for number 2 as they sit.

asilver
06-04-13, 01:36 PM
As a previous 2009 owner, nav was an option that year, and that year alone. No nav and no roof makes that car a rare beast....but not at that price, unless it is a 6MT.

I would go for the 2010 as it has fewer miles and no mods. You can then mod up the car any way you want.

when you say nav was an option that year alone, what you're saying is every 2010-current has nav, is that right? that at least makes it easier to not be concerned with 2010-newer whether they have nav or not.

I was originally looking for a white CTS-V but these other colors look great, and the white isn't a crisp bright white it's more of a off-white color it seems.

thanks people!

vfaninva
06-04-13, 01:39 PM
I'll be the fourth yes on #2.

thebigjimsho
06-04-13, 02:14 PM
when you say nav was an option that year alone, what you're saying is every 2010-current has nav, is that right? that at least makes it easier to not be concerned with 2010-newer whether they have nav or not.

I was originally looking for a white CTS-V but these other colors look great, and the white isn't a crisp bright white it's more of a off-white color it seems.

thanks people!

Yes, its white diamond. Looks more like pearl. I would prefer an arctic white. Alpine, whatever...

asilver
06-04-13, 08:06 PM
welp found out the silver one with 36k miles, has had paint done...and not good paint work, my friend who owns a local online dealership sold it to the current dealership, he said it's a no go to buy.

So I'm down to the Gray car which is in New York and I'm in Dallas...so hard to inspect reliably....it's had 9 emissions tests done in 8000 miles which worries me.

The mildly modded Silver one is a little more money more miles, but at least I know it's still with it's first owner, and this guy is a friend of a friend. I just can't get him to call me, I just want him to reassure me it's a good daily driver and I'm not making a mistake, and I'd probably go that route

jac09g8gt
06-04-13, 09:54 PM
I've been searching for awhile and I picked up an 09 with 50,000 miles, nav, roof, and Rosen headrest tvs for $36,995 at a dealer for my wife. Single local owner who was in his 60's. there are some good deals out there. I was able to get an extended full coverage warranty to 100k. I'm in north Louisiana so my shopping area was the same as yours.

neuronbob
06-04-13, 11:41 PM

thanks people!

Correct. Nav was an option only in 2009. After 2010 it was standard in all CTS-Vs, with an accompanying bump in MSRP in 2010.