Cadillac Owners Forum banner

08 STS V6 with 149,000 km: what problems to expect

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  bwv565 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm thinking of buying the above-referenced vehicle from a Caddy dealer, along with an extended powertrain warranty.

I'll be trading in my money pit nighmare of an excuse for a car 03 Seville STS.

Curious if there are similar things that will start to break down due to the high mileage on the 08, or are they that much more reliable?

I have read many reviews of the 08 V6 and most reviews say that due to the increased hp, it's not necessary to get the Northstar on this model year.

Thanks.

#2 ·
The 2005 & up Northstar is significantly improved over the earlier design and has few issues. It doesn't even use much more gas than the V6 because the biggest single factor is the weight of the STS. The V8 is significantly faster since even the DI V6 still doesn't come close to the torque output of the Northstar.

In my opinion, too many members report serious issues with the 3.6 V6 for it to receive equal consideration even if its greater effeciency were attractive. ACC is only available on V8-equipped STS; for me that's game-over.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.