: Another spare tire kit out there

taken
06-04-13, 08:33 AM
Just stumbled across this kit. Not sure if it's V1 or V2. Just sent them an email, so will see. Seems to be a good deal if it fits the V2, no?

http://shop.performancespare.com/main.sc

taken
06-04-13, 12:02 PM
Just heard back. They said it does fit. No one tried one? Price seems right...

marcusp23
06-04-13, 12:06 PM
Interesting. Did they say if it works on Sedans?

taken
06-04-13, 12:09 PM
I didn't ask if it fit all models. I will have to write him again.

FinestKind-CTS-V
06-04-13, 09:39 PM
Just ordered this for my 2012 sedan, spoke with Randal the owner of Performance Spare and he assured me it will fit my V no problem.
The link in the above post takes you to the ordering page, this link takes you to the main website, which is very informative with good pics and videos of the product:

http://www.performancespare.com/Home_Page.html

As I said to Randal, I look forward to receiving the product, and hope I NEVER need to use it!

Belairlover
06-05-13, 06:06 AM
Can you post installation pics? Wondering how it will fit in the truck, especially around the sub? should be the same set up for wagons/sedans. Definitely a great price though

FinestKind-CTS-V
06-05-13, 06:41 AM
Can you post installation pics? Wondering how it will fit in the truck, especially around the sub? should be the same set up for wagons/sedans. Definitely a great price though

Go to the website and watch the videos.
Looks like its going to fit perfectly!

taken
06-05-13, 07:05 AM
I saw the pics and videos on the site but none of the V. Look forward to your update when yours arrives and pictures would be great!

FinestKind-CTS-V
06-12-13, 08:07 PM

Recd my Performance Spare today, nice product!
Fits in the spare tire well with the cover back on, no problem.

VERY pleased with my purchase, got a nice secure feeling now....never felt "right" driving around without a real spare in case of severe tire damage.....
(I DID keep the air pump/goop injector in the truck too, in case of a slow leak)

Tried to upload pics, but they are too large for this site?

----------

I saw the pics and videos on the site but none of the V. Look forward to your update when yours arrives and pictures would be great!

Do you know how to shrink pix size so they are post-able?

GMX322V S/C
06-12-13, 08:35 PM
^^ Don't just take my word for it, but you may want to check around (especially with people in the business) and understand why it would probably be in your best interests to never use the fix-a-flat goop.

vagondr
06-12-13, 09:56 PM
Tire shops hate to clean up the sealant which is corrosive to rims and ruins TPM's. I carry a heavy duty scissor jack and a plug kit with a spray bottle of soapy water. I removed a nail and plugged the right rear a month ago and haven't lost any pressure yet. I do consider it a permanent repair but I admit to keeping my driver info screen on TPM. I'm covering all bases by keeping the compressor for air only and have a Eurotec spare kit. And how do you shrink a picture?

GMX322V S/C
06-12-13, 10:10 PM
If you're running Windows, one possible way to shrink pictures is with the Resize tool in the Paint program (Accessories folder). IIRC, you also have to meet a file size criteria (which can be met with compression quality as well as physical dimensions), which Paint won't help with.

Might be better off uploading to any number of online photo respostories such as Google Picasa Web Albums or Photobucket and then embedding a link ("URL," the other option when you click the Image icon) to that repository in your post...

Random84
06-12-13, 10:35 PM
So you actually bolted up the spare to confirm it fits over the front brakes?

vagondr
06-12-13, 10:52 PM
That's the first thing I did when I got it. It just clears the caliper by a cm. or two in front but the wheel turns freely. My only question is how to fix the rotor when torquing the spacer without someone stepping on the brake. Could wedge a screwdriver in the rotor fin and hold against the caliper.

hakalugi
06-12-13, 11:47 PM
That's the first thing I did when I got it. It just clears the caliper by a cm. or two in front but the wheel turns freely. My only question is how to fix the rotor when torquing the spacer without someone stepping on the brake. Could wedge a screwdriver in the rotor fin and hold against the caliper.

i believe he shows you how in his videos on the website i just visited. he uses the crank for the scissor jack by inserting into the (brake) disk vents and down to the ground, presumably carefully and parallel to the plane of the disk. so when you torque the spacer lug nuts the disc cannot spin.

yup, 3rd video down, @ 30 seconds in: http://www.performancespare.com/Spare_Tire_Video.html

ptrd
06-13-13, 10:47 AM
Interesting, probably will pick this up later. It's nice to have a spare.

The real Fast Eddie
06-15-13, 07:35 AM
...Has anyone else pulled the trigger on this wheel deal? I'm surprised the thread disappeared so quickly.

taken
06-15-13, 08:08 AM
I had already ordered a GM unit but would have if I hadn't. I think they are making them one at a time as once
FinestKind-CTS-V ordered his, the web site now lists it as "special order." I'm thinking that means Randal has to make up another...

vincemcoupe
06-16-13, 09:14 PM
I just received mine. I haven't test fitted it on my V Wagon yet but would like to give a quick run down. The tire is a Conti the same size as the GM kit. The tire is mounted on black colour steel rim, quite unlike the black alloy 5 spokes design of the GM kit. The 1.5" spacer has M12 studs and lugs for mounting the spare on, however, in order to mount the spacer onto the wheel hub, our factory wheel lugs are way too big to be fitted into the openings in the spacer. The only solution would be to use those spline type tuner lugs (M14x1.5") which I will have to source eventually. As a result, this is an incomplete kit although the generic scissor jack fitted well in the spare tire well with no wobble (despite the lack of provision to use the wing nut to tighten it up in its space). Lug wrench with both 7/8" (for our car's lugs) and 19 mm (for the spacer's lugs) sockets are supplied, so at least they are aware of such discrepancy. Over all, this kit is still a no brainier as the local dealers are asking upward of $600 for the GM kit which doesn't even come with the spacer. Once I get my M14 tuner lugs, I shall test the spare on my car and let everyone know.

FinestKind-CTS-V
06-17-13, 05:49 AM
I just received mine. I haven't test fitted it on my V Wagon yet but would like to give a quick run down. The tire is a Conti the same size as the GM kit. The tire is mounted on black colour steel rim, quite unlike the black alloy 5 spokes design of the GM kit. The 1.5" spacer has M12 studs and lugs for mounting the spare on, however, in order to mount the spacer onto the wheel hub, our factory wheel lugs are way too big to be fitted into the openings in the spacer. The only solution would be to use those spline type tuner lugs (M14x1.5") which I will have to source eventually. As a result, this is an incomplete kit although the generic scissor jack fitted well in the spare tire well with no wobble (despite the lack of provision to use the wing nut to tighten it up in its space). Lug wrench with both 7/8" (for our car's lugs) and 19 mm (for the spacer's lugs) sockets are supplied, so at least they are aware of such discrepancy. Over all, this kit is still a no brainier as the local dealers are asking upward of $600 for the GM kit which doesn't even come with the spacer. Once I get my M14 tuner lugs, I shall test the spare on my car and let everyone know.

Not sure what you mean when you say the kit is incomplete?
My kit came with special lug nuts that are designed to mount the adapter to the wheel hub. ( they fit inside the the openings in the spacer, in fact they were shipped already spun onto the adapter's lugs inside the spacer )

The standard lug nuts that came with your car are used to mount the spare tire to the adapter....so what's missing?

taken
06-17-13, 07:49 PM
I may end up ordering one afterall. The GM kit is backordered. Once I get confirmation my order was cancel, I'll call Randall...

vincemcoupe
06-18-13, 01:59 PM
The adapter that came with the kit has M12 studs as well as lug nuts. If you try to use these supplied M12 lug nuts on the M14 wheel studs on our car's hub when mounting the spacer, they just won't fit!

Not sure what you mean when you say the kit is incomplete?
My kit came with special lug nuts that are designed to mount the adapter to the wheel hub. ( they fit inside the the openings in the spacer, in fact they were shipped already spun onto the adapter's lugs inside the spacer )

The standard lug nuts that came with your car are used to mount the spare tire to the adapter....so what's missing?

JKG
06-18-13, 08:17 PM
Has anyone thought of just buying an 18" x 8" dr37 wheel, for about $150 new, and buying with a cheap tire to make a spare? i dont think a tire of the stock diameter will fit in the spare tire tub, but what about a lower profile tire? the stock tub in the back of the wagon looks like it will take a 25" wide tire. a 225/40 18 tire can be bought for about $100, so we're at 250 for a real tire, as opposed to 350 for a compact spare, with no need for a spacer.

Va72mlibu
06-19-13, 12:09 AM
Has anyone thought of just buying an 18" x 8" dr37 wheel, for about $150 new, and buying with a cheap tire to make a spare? i dont think a tire of the stock diameter will fit in the spare tire tub, but what about a lower profile tire? the stock tub in the back of the wagon looks like it will take a 25" wide tire. a 225/40 18 tire can be bought for about $100, so we're at 250 for a real tire, as opposed to 350 for a compact spare, with no need for a spacer.

If someone can confirm this works I am definitely doing it. What a great idea.

Big Jay
06-19-13, 02:13 AM
The adapter that came with the kit has M12 studs as well as lug nuts. If you try to use these supplied M12 lug nuts on the M14 wheel studs on our car's hub when mounting the spacer, they just won't fit!

So the way this kit comes, you would have to machine the adaptor to accept the oem 14mm lug nuts?

Random84
06-19-13, 12:35 PM

That is a great idea, actually - given the price point of these "spares."

FinestKind-CTS-V
06-19-13, 01:35 PM

Vince, you are from Canada right? Maybe the Canadian cars are different?
It works fine on my 2012 CTS-V sedan bought here in New Jersey.

The supplied lug nuts from Performance Spare DO FIT on my cars' studs and WILL tighten up flush into the adapters' recesses.
My standard (actually not standard, they are the blue tipped nuts installed by the dealer to eliminate clicking) nuts DO fit on the studs of the adapter .

So, remove flat, install adapter onto wheel hub using supplied nuts, install spare onto adapter using standard CTSV nuts.
It all works, no problem.

My only issue is exactly WHERE to place the jack. The manual says there is a cut out in the underside moulding marked with an arrow on all four corners of the car, but I don't see them. Maybe that's written for the standard CTS and the V's ground effect moulding covers them up?
Should I push the jack in deeper under the car and try to lift on the frame?
Anyone know?

JKG
06-19-13, 04:28 PM
i think my idea of using a dr37 wheel will be tough - technically, the 8-9" wide tire will fit in the stock space, but it may rub or bind on the stock plastic trim on the sides or especially at the rear end, on my wagon. May be a tougher fit than a space saver. only way to know is to buy a tire and put it in. i am not sure i am ready to commit to that yet, though. has anyone tried the stock front tires back there? i might try that first, and see how far off it is.

JKG
06-20-13, 05:58 PM
I took an extra tire that I had hanging around and I found that a 195/74 x 14 tire is about the biggest that will fit in the spare well, as far as diameter. That comes to about 25.5". stock tires are close to 27" in diameter. the CTS spare from the kit that many are using is about 25.3". If I bought a DR37 wheel in 18x8, with a cheap 205/45/18 tire, it should fit and be cheaper than the spare kit and not require a spacer. i think i might try that just for fun.

taken
06-20-13, 08:02 PM
I took an extra tire that I had hanging around and I found that a 195/74 x 14 tire is about the biggest that will fit in the spare well, as far as diameter. That comes to about 25.5". stock tires are close to 27" in diameter. the CTS spare from the kit that many are using is about 25.3". If I bought a DR37 wheel in 18x8, with a cheap 205/45/18 tire, it should fit and be cheaper than the spare kit and not require a spacer. i think i might try that just for fun.

I think it would be fun if you tried that too! Keep us posted.....

dennych
07-11-13, 03:24 PM
Hmm, been looking for a solution. This actually is cheaper than buying the GM spare and converting it. I'll give it a go

1) can people confirm this fits in the spare tire well with the subwoofer in the wagon?
2) And does it fit proper? Someone posted it was missing adapter components.

Also any pictures of the spare itself?

dennych
07-23-13, 01:03 AM
Got the kit in today. For those curious about putting it in the Vwagon spare tire well...

First thing, The bag that had the bolt adapter and wrench had a hole. No big deal. Ductaped at sucker up.
Wheel seems ok, has some gaps and isn't welded all the way. Don't think that's an issue?
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Zwqys_6v7Ko/Ue37B8pKLuI/AAAAAAAAPqo/wBcoeI3t-ec/s576/20130722_194506.jpg

The scissor jack it comes with is rated for 1 1/2 tons which doesn't seem like enough so I may need to pick up another one? Anyway....

Proceeded to shove it in the spare tire well... pretty tight.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-FCKhSqkB42c/Ue37Ak21okI/AAAAAAAAPqg/Dg6i3eFEjwk/s576/20130722_194317.jpg
Didn't quite fit with the adapter on. So I removed the adapter and shoved it in again

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-sioC8sYjNfg/Ue37DyvcKoI/AAAAAAAAPqw/K9m-fOAtpx4/s640/20130722_194716.jpg
A pretty tight fit but goes all the way down.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-ZfBn8ijx_SQ/Ue37Fuu8DYI/AAAAAAAAPq4/3RE4D3AynP4/s640/20130722_194803.jpg
yay sub fits on top!

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-783nVk2a-_E/Ue37IQU31WI/AAAAAAAAPrA/5icpm1mJ8jA/s640/20130722_195331.jpg
tossed the adapter in the upper compartment and called it a day. Shoved the wrench and scissor jack levers with the tire

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-geh50KRntNU/Ue37LBTMbPI/AAAAAAAAPrI/vTjTe931A20/s640/20130722_195554.jpg
voila, all neat and done.....

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-0cX4IFfZ-Bw/Ue37MxPZayI/AAAAAAAAPrQ/yMrrBeF-NP8/s640/20130722_200151.jpg
For good measure I packaged that adapter with great care as you can see in the image.

So there you have it. a Good way to add a few pounds to the rear of your V wagon...

The real Fast Eddie
07-23-13, 02:42 PM
....excuse me for dragging this thread back up, I'm just not totally convinced that it's
a 100% solid package. Has anyone besides dennych taken delivery on this package,
installed and rolled on it? Is the adapter self-centering? Does the assembly need to
be balanced. I need to either cross this off my list or pull the trigger.Thanks, Eddie.

OldRoadDawg
07-24-13, 11:31 PM
I received my spare tire kit today from PerformanceSpare.com for my 2009 sedan.
http://i599.photobucket.com/albums/tt80/dawgpics_photos/CTS-V%20Spare%20Tire/001_zpse8286548.jpg

I decided to do a run through in my driveway, simulating changing the tire on some boondock road (cue the Deliverance music), instead of waiting for hours for a road service to arrive. That means also carrying a couple pieces of wood to act as a base for the jack and a piece between the jack head and the frame rail. I used one of my Katech jacking pucks in my driveway, but didn't like it. Not as stable as I prefer. And there wasn't enough room to fit wood under the jack, so I left it out and paid for that mistake when I made a depression in my new asphalt driveway. :thepan:

Regarding the scissors jack... like most scissors jacks - they suck! It is a difficult, time consuming process using it, even though you are only jacking the car high enough to get the tire clear of the ground. Hard work!.... given the limited mechanical advantage the jack provides.

Then there are the sockets and breaker bar included with the package. Meh... I didn't like the fit of the Chinese made sockets on the wheel nuts, and I couldn't break loose my wheel nuts, which are torqued to 140 lbs, with the included breaker bar, so I will be carrying my own sockets and breaker bar.

http://i599.photobucket.com/albums/tt80/dawgpics_photos/CTS-V%20Spare%20Tire/004_zps1b38d4b0.jpg

So after finally getting the RF wheel jacked up, the provided spacer attaches securely to the hub with the nuts provided.
I used part of the handle from the jack inserted in the rotor vent slots to prevent the rotor from turning.

http://i599.photobucket.com/albums/tt80/dawgpics_photos/CTS-V%20Spare%20Tire/006_zps2b19f152.jpg

The spare wheel/tire fits fine. No clearance issues. I just drove it around the block and never got over 25 mph, so I can't comment on balance issues at this point.

http://i599.photobucket.com/albums/tt80/dawgpics_photos/CTS-V%20Spare%20Tire/007_zpsf2da875f.jpg

As far as trunk installation, I eliminated the pump and sealant. Personal preference - I would never use it.
The tools fit under the tire.

http://i599.photobucket.com/albums/tt80/dawgpics_photos/CTS-V%20Spare%20Tire/010_zpseaa01ee5.jpg

Hopefully I'll never need to use the spare, or be in an urban area where I can call road service to assist in making the change - using a good jack.
But I do feel more comfortable now knowing that I have a spare tire and there won't be any surprises if I have to install it. I may do some research and look for an alternate jack to replace the scissor type. Maybe a small hydraulic one. I just don't want stuff loose in the tire well rattling. Right now everything is cinched down and no rattles.

the blur
07-24-13, 11:42 PM
Don't order the spacer from that other thread. The guy didn't do right by us.

dennych
07-25-13, 03:10 AM
thanks Old for testing out the mounting. Makes me feel better about the kit. Also agree that in most likely cases I'll just call the AAA guy to jack up the car rather than use that crappy scissor jack.

Just out of curiosity is your jacking puck just a hockey puck? I wonder if the AAA guys use them with their floor jacks (I doubt it). Might be worth tossing a puck in the trunk. Haven't tried jacking up my V yet so I'm not even sure where to tell them to jack it up. I keep on reading conflicting things about how the jacking point diagrams are supposedly covered by V Trim....

OldRoadDawg
07-25-13, 11:18 AM
Just out of curiosity is your jacking puck just a hockey puck? I wonder if the AAA guys use them with their floor jacks (I doubt it). Might be worth tossing a puck in the trunk. Haven't tried jacking up my V yet so I'm not even sure where to tell them to jack it up. I keep on reading conflicting things about how the jacking point diagrams are supposedly covered by V Trim....

In my garage I use this jacking puck (http://store.katechengines.com/jacking-puck-for-cars-with-side-skirts-p350.aspx) from Katech. Insert it into the oblong slots provided on the frame rails. Refer to this thread and photo: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-2013-cadillac-cts-v-general/217898-cts-v-jacking-points.html#post2446715

There are other locations to place a jack or stands depending on what type of work you are doing, but the pucks work well there for most applications.

As far as AAA or other road services, I'll call them out just for their hydraulic jack, but I'll be explaining exactly how to jack it up. Then I'll get frustrated and angry, and tell him to move out of the way while I do it. They 'may' have a block of wood with them, but couldn't imagine they would carry a jacking puck.

dennych
07-25-13, 01:22 PM
In my garage I use this jacking puck (http://store.katechengines.com/jacking-puck-for-cars-with-side-skirts-p350.aspx) from Katech. Insert it into the oblong slots provided on the frame rails. Refer to this thread and photo: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-2013-cadillac-cts-v-general/217898-cts-v-jacking-points.html#post2446715

There are other locations to place a jack or stands depending on what type of work you are doing, but the pucks work well there for most applications.

As far as AAA or other road services, I'll call them out just for their hydraulic jack, but I'll be explaining exactly how to jack it up. Then I'll get frustrated and angry, and tell him to move out of the way while I do it. They 'may' have a block of wood with them, but couldn't imagine they would carry a jacking puck.

Yeah, I read that thread a bit earlier. Someone mentioned that the Wagon's don't have those points (no holes). I need to get my wagon on a lift so I can take a look underneath

08-06-13, 04:36 PM
I just ordered one of these. Did a 600 mile round trip to the poconos Saturday, and for the first time in 9 years of V ownership, was a little nervous about not having a spare.

Problem seemingly solved.

Now I have to decide what to do about my thinning PS2's (15K miles). time to do some searching on the forum for the latest wisdom on that.

08-14-13, 08:36 PM
OK got my kit today. One week from order to delivery. All seems to be as advertised. Nicely done. My only minor issue is that for some reason, my tire doesn't fit in the tub as well as it looks in OldRoadDawg's photo (I have a 2010 sedan). The carpeting and the insulation is pretty thick. I could cut it off inside the tub and there would be plenty of room, but I decided to play with it and I was able to get it to sit low enough so that the cover fits virtually flush. Not perfect, but close enough. In general, very pleased with the purchase. I did not do a "full" installation. I checked to make sure that I could loosen the lug nuts with the breaker bar, and that the nuts and sockets all fit and that the jack works. Maybe I'll do a full dry run (which would be the smart thing to do) over the weekend.

thebigjimsho
08-15-13, 04:31 PM
So you made it work?

08-15-13, 09:14 PM
yeah, it all works for me pretty much as in OldRoadDawg's photos. The tire just doesn't seem to sit at low in the tub, but it is low enough where the cover rests pretty close to perfectly flat. I could probably force it down more, but then I might not be able to get it out when I need to. It's good....I am quite pleased with the purchase......

dennych
08-15-13, 09:30 PM
yeah, it all works for me pretty much as in OldRoadDawg's photos. The tire just doesn't seem to sit at low in the tub, but it is low enough where the cover rests pretty close to perfectly flat. I could probably force it down more, but then I might not be able to get it out when I need to. It's good....I am quite pleased with the purchase......

I had to shove mine in real good

2011 Black Diamond V
08-18-13, 03:46 AM
I received my kit today and installed the spare and drove it around the block. I had the same experience in that I could not get the spare all the way down into the tub on my sedan and didn't want to force it. I was able to get the spare in plenty far enough to store everything in the kit along with it and install the cover just fine. I also struggled with that scissor jack. I had no problem using the lug wrench though. Plenty of torque when extended. I am overall very satisfied with the kit. If I go on a long trip I might just throw my 2 speed scissor jack in the trunk or let the AAA guy use his jack in the event of a flat. For me, this kit eliminates the fear of (1) getting stranded somewhere and (2) damaging wheels and/or car body parts which are much more expensive than this kit.

CTS V Coupe
08-18-13, 12:10 PM
Nice kit and a nice price! Does anyone know how this fits in the V Coupe?

Dogbreath
08-24-13, 07:54 AM
Got mine yesterday. Played with it for a bit to figure out the best way to store it. The jack and tools fit under the tire. I hooked the jaws of the jack on the hold down so that it wouldn't rattle. Put a block of wood under the tire as well. The only issue with the kit (and I called the vendor about it) is that the socket provided doesn't fit the existing lugs well. It is 1 mm too large. A 6 point American socket fixed that.

The trick for getting it to fit in the well is to lift up on the back of the spare some to relieve the friction on the carpet in the front. The tire will then slide all the way down and the cover will fit perfectly - there's probably an inch or so of extra room.