Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Another spare tire kit out there

12K views 45 replies 22 participants last post by  Dogbreath 
#1 ·
#5 ·
Just ordered this for my 2012 sedan, spoke with Randal the owner of Performance Spare and he assured me it will fit my V no problem.
The link in the above post takes you to the ordering page, this link takes you to the main website, which is very informative with good pics and videos of the product:

http://www.performancespare.com/Home_Page.html

As I said to Randal, I look forward to receiving the product, and hope I NEVER need to use it!

#9 ·
Belairlover said:
Can you post installation pics? Wondering how it will fit in the truck, especially around the sub? should be the same set up for wagons/sedans. Definitely a great price though
Recd my Performance Spare today, nice product!
Fits in the spare tire well with the cover back on, no problem.

VERY pleased with my purchase, got a nice secure feeling now....never felt "right" driving around without a real spare in case of severe tire damage.....
(I DID keep the air pump/goop injector in the truck too, in case of a slow leak)

Tried to upload pics, but they are too large for this site?

----------

taken said:
I saw the pics and videos on the site but none of the V. Look forward to your update when yours arrives and pictures would be great!
Do you know how to shrink pix size so they are post-able?

#10 ·
^^ Don't just take my word for it, but you may want to check around (especially with people in the business) and understand why it would probably be in your best interests to never use the fix-a-flat goop.

#11 ·
Tire shops hate to clean up the sealant which is corrosive to rims and ruins TPM's. I carry a heavy duty scissor jack and a plug kit with a spray bottle of soapy water. I removed a nail and plugged the right rear a month ago and haven't lost any pressure yet. I do consider it a permanent repair but I admit to keeping my driver info screen on TPM. I'm covering all bases by keeping the compressor for air only and have a Eurotec spare kit. And how do you shrink a picture?

#12 ·
If you're running Windows, one possible way to shrink pictures is with the Resize tool in the Paint program (Accessories folder). IIRC, you also have to meet a file size criteria (which can be met with compression quality as well as physical dimensions), which Paint won't help with.

Might be better off uploading to any number of online photo respostories such as Google Picasa Web Albums or Photobucket and then embedding a link ("URL," the other option when you click the Image icon) to that repository in your post...

#14 ·
That's the first thing I did when I got it. It just clears the caliper by a cm. or two in front but the wheel turns freely. My only question is how to fix the rotor when torquing the spacer without someone stepping on the brake. Could wedge a screwdriver in the rotor fin and hold against the caliper.

#15 ·
That's the first thing I did when I got it. It just clears the caliper by a cm. or two in front but the wheel turns freely. My only question is how to fix the rotor when torquing the spacer without someone stepping on the brake. Could wedge a screwdriver in the rotor fin and hold against the caliper.
i believe he shows you how in his videos on the website i just visited. he uses the crank for the scissor jack by inserting into the (brake) disk vents and down to the ground, presumably carefully and parallel to the plane of the disk. so when you torque the spacer lug nuts the disc cannot spin.

yup, 3rd video down, @ 30 seconds in: http://www.performancespare.com/Spare_Tire_Video.html

#18 ·
I had already ordered a GM unit but would have if I hadn't. I think they are making them one at a time as once
FinestKind-CTS-V ordered his, the web site now lists it as "special order." I'm thinking that means Randal has to make up another...

#19 ·
I just received mine. I haven't test fitted it on my V Wagon yet but would like to give a quick run down. The tire is a Conti the same size as the GM kit. The tire is mounted on black colour steel rim, quite unlike the black alloy 5 spokes design of the GM kit. The 1.5" spacer has M12 studs and lugs for mounting the spare on, however, in order to mount the spacer onto the wheel hub, our factory wheel lugs are way too big to be fitted into the openings in the spacer. The only solution would be to use those spline type tuner lugs (M14x1.5") which I will have to source eventually. As a result, this is an incomplete kit although the generic scissor jack fitted well in the spare tire well with no wobble (despite the lack of provision to use the wing nut to tighten it up in its space). Lug wrench with both 7/8" (for our car's lugs) and 19 mm (for the spacer's lugs) sockets are supplied, so at least they are aware of such discrepancy. Over all, this kit is still a no brainier as the local dealers are asking upward of $600 for the GM kit which doesn't even come with the spacer. Once I get my M14 tuner lugs, I shall test the spare on my car and let everyone know.

#20 ·
vincemcoupe said:
I just received mine. I haven't test fitted it on my V Wagon yet but would like to give a quick run down. The tire is a Conti the same size as the GM kit. The tire is mounted on black colour steel rim, quite unlike the black alloy 5 spokes design of the GM kit. The 1.5" spacer has M12 studs and lugs for mounting the spare on, however, in order to mount the spacer onto the wheel hub, our factory wheel lugs are way too big to be fitted into the openings in the spacer. The only solution would be to use those spline type tuner lugs (M14x1.5") which I will have to source eventually. As a result, this is an incomplete kit although the generic scissor jack fitted well in the spare tire well with no wobble (despite the lack of provision to use the wing nut to tighten it up in its space). Lug wrench with both 7/8" (for our car's lugs) and 19 mm (for the spacer's lugs) sockets are supplied, so at least they are aware of such discrepancy. Over all, this kit is still a no brainier as the local dealers are asking upward of $600 for the GM kit which doesn't even come with the spacer. Once I get my M14 tuner lugs, I shall test the spare on my car and let everyone know.
Not sure what you mean when you say the kit is incomplete?
My kit came with special lug nuts that are designed to mount the adapter to the wheel hub. ( they fit inside the the openings in the spacer, in fact they were shipped already spun onto the adapter's lugs inside the spacer )

The standard lug nuts that came with your car are used to mount the spare tire to the adapter....so what's missing?

#23 ·
Has anyone thought of just buying an 18" x 8" dr37 wheel, for about $150 new, and buying with a cheap tire to make a spare? i dont think a tire of the stock diameter will fit in the spare tire tub, but what about a lower profile tire? the stock tub in the back of the wagon looks like it will take a 25" wide tire. a 225/40 18 tire can be bought for about $100, so we're at 250 for a real tire, as opposed to 350 for a compact spare, with no need for a spacer.

#24 ·
JKG said:
Has anyone thought of just buying an 18" x 8" dr37 wheel, for about $150 new, and buying with a cheap tire to make a spare? i dont think a tire of the stock diameter will fit in the spare tire tub, but what about a lower profile tire? the stock tub in the back of the wagon looks like it will take a 25" wide tire. a 225/40 18 tire can be bought for about $100, so we're at 250 for a real tire, as opposed to 350 for a compact spare, with no need for a spacer.
If someone can confirm this works I am definitely doing it. What a great idea.

#27 ·
vincemcoupe said:
The adapter that came with the kit has M12 studs as well as lug nuts. If you try to use these supplied M12 lug nuts on the M14 wheel studs on our car's hub when mounting the spacer, they just won't fit!
Vince, you are from Canada right? Maybe the Canadian cars are different?
It works fine on my 2012 CTS-V sedan bought here in New Jersey.

The supplied lug nuts from Performance Spare DO FIT on my cars' studs and WILL tighten up flush into the adapters' recesses.
My standard (actually not standard, they are the blue tipped nuts installed by the dealer to eliminate clicking) nuts DO fit on the studs of the adapter .

So, remove flat, install adapter onto wheel hub using supplied nuts, install spare onto adapter using standard CTSV nuts.
It all works, no problem.

My only issue is exactly WHERE to place the jack. The manual says there is a cut out in the underside moulding marked with an arrow on all four corners of the car, but I don't see them. Maybe that's written for the standard CTS and the V's ground effect moulding covers them up?
Should I push the jack in deeper under the car and try to lift on the frame?
Anyone know?

#28 ·
i think my idea of using a dr37 wheel will be tough - technically, the 8-9" wide tire will fit in the stock space, but it may rub or bind on the stock plastic trim on the sides or especially at the rear end, on my wagon. May be a tougher fit than a space saver. only way to know is to buy a tire and put it in. i am not sure i am ready to commit to that yet, though. has anyone tried the stock front tires back there? i might try that first, and see how far off it is.

#29 ·
I took an extra tire that I had hanging around and I found that a 195/74 x 14 tire is about the biggest that will fit in the spare well, as far as diameter. That comes to about 25.5". stock tires are close to 27" in diameter. the CTS spare from the kit that many are using is about 25.3". If I bought a DR37 wheel in 18x8, with a cheap 205/45/18 tire, it should fit and be cheaper than the spare kit and not require a spacer. i think i might try that just for fun.

#31 · (Edited)
Hmm, been looking for a solution. This actually is cheaper than buying the GM spare and converting it. I'll give it a go

1) can people confirm this fits in the spare tire well with the subwoofer in the wagon?
2) And does it fit proper? Someone posted it was missing adapter components.

Also any pictures of the spare itself?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.