: V won't start- *click*

seeyouinajif
06-04-13, 07:15 AM
I'm thinking starter, battery has enough power to light up the dash and play the radio, battery was replaced in 08. Car was running fine yesterday, parked it after work. Come out this morning and nothing but a loud click, doesn't crank at all.

Anyone ever jump start one of these? I'd love to avoid using a tow, thinking of waking up a friend to give me a push. Just not sure how fast I need to be going, haven't jumped a car in a while.

darkman
06-04-13, 07:25 AM
If the battery is that old I would replace it before I did anything else. It is the number one cause of "no start" conditions, particularly if the condition is intermittent and you have already gotten your money's worth out of it. The second candidate is the wiring connection at the starter. After that is the starter/solenoid itself, but I would do some diagnosis before I started replacing parts.

seeyouinajif
06-04-13, 07:35 AM
Yeah this is a hard fail, never faulted before and I've tried several times since 6am.

Only issue is I live in the city so need to get towed to a friends place so I can work on this. Was thinking of doing the battery as a precaution, this is my daily driver and only car so I need it to be reliable. I'll throw a charger on it and try to crank before I replace the starter but I need this thing to be done by the end of the day.

8 years in new england seems about right for the life of a starter- just got this car so I'm assuming its original until i get a look at it.

JDB
06-04-13, 07:52 AM
Can you change the information display to read the battery volts?

You only need a simple socket set to replace a battery. 8mm on the cables and 10 (or 13?) on the hold down bracket. Cheaper to buy tools than a tow.

When my battery went, I had 1-2 questionable starts and then nothing, wouldn't even try.

seeyouinajif
06-04-13, 08:05 AM
I've had no questionable starts this is the first issue. can hear the soloniod click. I'll go check the volts.

I've got a free tow available from AAA but i'm thinking about pushing it down the st first and dumping the clutch in 2nd. . .

----------

I can't display batt volts. I have oil pressure, oil temp, water temp, trans temp, no volt meter.

Wingsfan4life
06-04-13, 08:07 AM
Voltage is in infotainment...info>scroll to battery voltage-push button

seeyouinajif
06-04-13, 08:24 AM
Thanks. Reads 12.0 battery volts ok. I'm watching a DVD while I wait for a flatbed. Taking the day off work ill sort this out.

Wingsfan4life
06-04-13, 09:52 AM
12 seems a lil low...find a friend thtll allow u to swap batteries and see if that's what it could be..mine did something similar and I replaced battery...ended up replacing starter shortly there after tho..are you getting battery drainage of any sort?

carlson_mn
06-04-13, 10:15 AM
Sometimes batteries will show full voltage but due to internal damage they lose all ability to deliver any substantial amperage. They'll power the interior okay but voltage drops to 5V when you try to crank the engine. Good luck and let us know what you find. And yes jump start it in 2nd... she's heavy though... i.e. 2 people to push it.

JD03Cobra
06-04-13, 10:45 AM
I had the same issue/similar symptoms, replaced the battery and solved my problem.

seeyouinajif
06-04-13, 10:48 AM
Battery is wishful thinking but I have a spare ill try. In the truck now ill update this later

seeyouinajif
06-04-13, 12:51 PM
Not the battery. I put a new one in for peace of mind anyways. Starter is special order item everywhere so it's on order. Hope to have it by saturday

Wingsfan4life
06-04-13, 12:56 PM
Have fun with that starter...and make sure you buy some heat wrap to put around it when you put it in..special order because of the ignition lead..its plastic and located inches from cat..hence the heat wrap..its do-able in the garage tho

seeyouinajif
06-04-13, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the tip, what a PITA. Is there a how to anywhere on the starter or is it pretty self explanitory?

I bought this car so I'd have a reliable daily driver and not miss any work with car issues . . . doh!

darkman
06-04-13, 01:23 PM
See attached.

Some report replacing the starter without removing the passenger side catalytic converter (which can be a project in itself), but others report not being able to get the starter out because of clearance issues. (I cannot say, since I have not pulled my starter.)

If I had someone willing to remove and replace the starter at a reasonable price, I would probably do so.

seeyouinajif
06-04-13, 01:37 PM
Thanks again dark man. Ill do it myself this weekend, ill change the trans fluid and plug in the skip shift eliminator while I'm down there.

odla
06-04-13, 01:43 PM
This should help you out.

I have done it in jack stands. The only problem i had were the cat nuts and bolts. Had to soak them in pb blaster and use freeze off to get them off. They were on so tight that i was starting to twist the heads with a beaker bar. I had cc mounts though so you may not have to take the cat off. I got all the bolts off the starter but there was no way it had enough room to come out with the cat in the way.

oh just saw that darkman posted the pdf already lol.

seeyouinajif
06-04-13, 02:58 PM
Looks doable.

I'm concerned by these leads, clearly burned, not through the plastic but they were sitting very close to the side pipe. I'm guessing the new starter doesn't come with new leads, hoping these aren't my issue. Like I said not burned through but black as you can see. Definitely will inspect once the starter is out and heat wrap these things.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g179/captainsandyvagina/image1.jpeg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g179/captainsandyvagina/image2.jpg

seeyouinajif
06-04-13, 06:09 PM
Fixed.

Loose nut on the main power cable. Couldn't turn it with my hand when I first reached up but I went to start taking the starter out and it turned very easily. Got three cranks on it to tighten it and the car has fired every time for 10 times now.

odla
06-05-13, 01:38 PM
Great!