: Coupe Chrome Exhaust Cleaning

jghiller
06-04-13, 07:57 AM
Noticed some tough grime on the inner portion of the chrome exhaust cover on my Coupe. Any recommendations for a good product to remove it safely - simple chrome cleaner? Doesn't wipe of easily. Thanks.

danoh123
06-04-13, 11:34 AM
Once you clean with either chrome or other wax cleaner I have had no problem cleaning by simply using wet rag or towel. The first time may tough. I keep them clean at least every other day. I love shiny chrome.

tinman
06-04-13, 12:00 PM
I don't mess with the internal exhaust tip. The external is another story...I like to keep that shiny, too.

C "T" ess
06-04-13, 12:31 PM
It's gonna sound goofy, but coca cola brand coke (not diet) will clean it. Then as others have said follow it with a coat of wax.

blankster
06-04-13, 12:47 PM
Use bar keepers friend and a wet paper towel or rag - Cleans it like new on the outside and inside.

tinman
06-04-13, 12:53 PM
While I am an advocate of Bar Keepers Friend it is still an abrasive, ever so slight. I won't use it on a highly polished piece of metal. BKF is good stuff, and I make my statement only because I have not used it long term on any metal (but it is an abrasive however you want to look at it). This is not a joke, but has anyone tried toothpaste? I haven't, but that has to be some type of polish/abrasive and may work. Dunno, food for thought.

reciprocity
06-04-13, 02:37 PM
Adam's Metal Polish (#1 and #2) works great on exhaust tips:

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-842-adams-complete-hand-metal-polishing-kit.aspx

jghiller
06-04-13, 04:07 PM
Just an FYI - this is the chrome piece that surrounds the opening for the exhaust on the coupes. With the sedan I used to wax the ends of the exhaust pipes but with the coupes, the exhaust is tucked in behind the chrome covering. Theres just a small amount of grime at the inner portion of the chrome cover not really noticeable except to me.

dreiloft
06-04-13, 10:03 PM
I shine the chrome piece. IMO the other is like cleaning the inside of a exhaust pipe, why waste your time you can't see it when someone is following you. A chimney cleaner might work but be careful when applying.

Bobby VW
06-04-13, 11:55 PM
I've had luck with a small piece of Mr. CleanMagic eraser

Bandit1
06-05-13, 02:31 PM
Semichrome or Blue Max.

TrimThis
06-05-13, 08:26 PM
Painted mine black. Don't know what that piece is made of, but looks cheap.

EVH5150
06-05-13, 09:09 PM
Ha ha ha lol! Now just think what all that lovely Coke is doing to our guts!!! As the old saying goes only the unhealthy stuff tastes good, LOL!
It's gonna sound goofy, but coca cola brand coke (not diet) will clean it. Then as others have said follow it with a coat of wax.