: Spectra Premium Heater Core

HUF
06-04-13, 01:39 AM
It is time to replace coolant and I want to replace plastic T and restrictor along with the heater core while there.

Is a Spectra Premium Heater Core (http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=946705&cc=1027404) any good? Is not that variable pipe positioning a potential source of leaks in the future?

brougham
06-05-13, 10:36 PM
I wouldn't bother replacing the heater core unless it's needed. The aftermarket ones are crap compared to the original.
I replaced the heater core on my 91 last year and the spectra ones were junk. They have no quality control. It didn't even look anything like the original and the first one I got was bent sideways.
I also don't trust the universal kind that you can rotate the inlets. It didn't have those but one I got from advance did.

HUF
06-05-13, 11:19 PM
I wouldn't bother replacing the heater core unless it's needed. The aftermarket ones are crap compared to the original.
I replaced the heater core on my 91 last year and the spectra ones were junk. They have no quality control. It didn't even look anything like the original and the first one I got was bent sideways.
I also don't trust the universal kind that you can rotate the inlets. It didn't have those but one I got from advance did.
Sure, the original parts are the best. I have that mysterious slow coolant loss I never could figure out. Will only replace the plastic restrictor and the T. If the core gives me a hard time, I will just bypass it and live without heater.