: VIN doesn't match up with car description

bbusse60
06-03-13, 10:57 PM
This is either a huge red flag or a subtlety of VIN conventions. I'm looking at a 2005 STS4. Dealer sent me the carfax report. Don't see anywhere in carfax that gives a detailed vehicle description. However, trying several other VIN search sites, they all come up with RWD. This is supposed to be an AWD. One site also had it listed as Raven Black with black interior. However the car is blue with tan interior.

Seems the VIN should at least decode the AWD versus RWD. Maybe not the exterior/interior colors though, I don't know.

Can anyone help out on this? Don't want to buy a car that's being misrepresented.

The VIN is 1G6DC67A050150789

Thanks!
Bob

Guy.Seminerio
06-03-13, 11:52 PM
That sounds like a red flag to me. Weird. I think we need the cadillac customer service reps to chime in here.

orange57
06-03-13, 11:53 PM
What website? When I was looking to purchase a car there were a couple dealers websites I stumbled across that seemed too good to be true, and were not very responsive. Maybe it is a shady dealer. Or the person is color blind that put up the description :)

ddalder
06-04-13, 12:27 AM
The AWD option will be noted by the addition of appropriate RPO codes. The better way for you to determine this is to look at the Service Parts Identification label and check for the correct codes. I'm not entirely surprised with your post. Many sources have listed my AWD as RWD as well, but it is most definitely not.

----------

Even if you look at the actual VIN decoder card put out by GM, this does not differentiate between RWD and AWD for cars. Trucks are different (ie: C versus K body).
http://service.gm.com/dealerworld/vincards/pdf/vincard05.pdf

----------

Also, if this is at a GM dealership, they will be able to provide you with the actual build sheet. This will list all the RPO codes and what each one means.

carter's_sts
06-04-13, 12:34 AM
When I bought my 06 regular STS back in 09 I crawled under and checked for the front axles just to make sure.

It had the 4 on the back, but the Carfax report said RWD.

Guy.Seminerio
06-04-13, 01:15 AM
I guess that's common. What about the color discrepancies though?

carter's_sts
06-04-13, 01:22 AM
Mine showed the correct colors, so not sure about that.

ddalder
06-04-13, 01:59 AM
I guess that's common. What about the color discrepancies though?
I think it depends on the site and where they obtained their data (which can be inaccurate for a variety of reasons). I have seen instances where a single RPO code is used for two or more different colours. For example, in a Chev line a specific RPO may indicate one colour but the same code may represent an entirely different colour for a Pontiac, Cadillac, etc. In the case of my car (paint RPO code 78U - Sunset Blue), one site offering a list of all GM RPO's shows this same code (78U) as "Dark Yellow Red Metallic".

Keep in mind that paint codes are a whole other system as well and must not be confused with RPO codes. Although my (paint/colour) RPO code is 78U, my paint code is U 400P (which is the code used by paint suppliers, body shops, etc and does not vary from one car/line to another). Colour information is not encoded in the VIN. This will be part of the vehicle build which is linked to the VIN.

Submariner409
06-04-13, 06:52 AM
.............. even back in the Seville years some of the RPO's for color showed two VERY different possibilities for ONE RPO.

www.compnine.com (http://www.compnine.com) - do the test subscription.

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-04-13, 11:57 AM
This is either a huge red flag or a subtlety of VIN conventions. I'm looking at a 2005 STS4. Dealer sent me the carfax report. Don't see anywhere in carfax that gives a detailed vehicle description. However, trying several other VIN search sites, they all come up with RWD. This is supposed to be an AWD. One site also had it listed as Raven Black with black interior. However the car is blue with tan interior.

Seems the VIN should at least decode the AWD versus RWD. Maybe not the exterior/interior colors though, I don't know.

Can anyone help out on this? Don't want to buy a car that's being misrepresented.

The VIN is 1G6DC67A050150789

Thanks!
Bob

Hello Bob,

I was able to look up your VIN and see in fact that your vehicle is AWD. Option code is, MV3 - ALL WHEEL DRIVE. After looking at another option code, 32I - INT TRIM MED DK CASHMERE, it shows the interior is tan. If there are additional questions or concerns I could assist you with, please reach out to us!

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

RippyPartsDept
06-04-13, 01:14 PM
1SG = PACKAGE OPTION 07 OPTION PACKAGE 07 OPTION PACKAGE 07 (1SG)

1SZ = PACKAGE OPTION- (1SZ)

25U = EXTERIOR COLOR,PRIMARY (25U)

323 = TRIM COMBINATION LEATHER, MED DK CASHMERE (3) (04) LEATHER TRIM(323)

32I = INTERIOR TRIM MED DK CASHMERE (04) (32I)

6SF = COMPONENT-COMPUTER SELECTED SUSP SUSP(6SF)

7SF = COMPONENT-COMPUTER SEL SUSP SUSP(7SF)

8HD = COMPONENT RR LH COMPUTER SEL SUSP (8HD) SUSP(8HD)

9HD = COMPONENT RR RH COMPUTER SEL SUSP (9HD) SUSP(9HD)

A45 = MEMORY SEAT ADJUSTER, MIRROR, POWER, DRIVER & ENHANCED MEMORY PERSONALIZATION MEMORY MIR AND ST ADJ(A45)

AL2 = CONTROL SEAT, POWER LUMBAR SEAT CTL,PWR LUMBAR(AL2)

AP9 = NET,CONVENIENCE CONVENIENCE NET(AP9)

AQ9 = SEAT,FRONT BUCKET,DRIVER,PASSENGER,RECLINING RECL FRT BKT ST,LUXURY(AQ9)

AY0 = RESTRAINT SYSTEM SEAT, INFLATABLE, DRIVER & PASS, FRT SIDE, ROOF SIDE DRVR & PASS FRT SIDE & ROOF INFLATABLE RESTRAINT(AY0)

B20 = ORNAMENTATION,INTERIOR(LUXURY) LUXURY INTR(B20)

CE1 = WIPER SYSTEM WINDSHIELD, PULSE, MOISTURE SENSITIVE PULSE MOISTURE SENSITIVE W/S WIPER SYSTEM(CE1)

CE4 = WASHER,HEADLAMP,HIGH PRESSURE HDLP WA(CE4)

CF5 = ROOF,SUN,GLASS SLIDING,ELECTRIC ELEC SUNROOF(GLASS)(CF5)

CJ2 = HVAC SYSTEM AIR CONDITIONER FRT, AUTO TEMP CONT, AUX TEMP CONT A/C FRT AUTO/AUX CONT(CJ2)

DD8 = MIRROR,INSIDE,REARVIEW,TILT,AUTOMATIC,LIGHT SENSITIVE I/S RR VIEW MIR,LIGHT SENSITIVE(DD8)

DR2 = MIRROR,OUTSIDE,LH & RH, REMOTE CONTROL,ELECTRIC, MANUAL FOLDING HEATED R/CONT HTD O/S MIR(DR2)

E2C

F55 = CHASSIS CONTINOUSLY VARIABLE REAL TIME DAMPING MAGNETO RHEOLOGICAL VARIABLE TIME DAMPING CHASSIS(F55)

FE3 = SUSPENSION SYSTEM,SPORT SPORT SUSP(FE3)

FE9 = FEDERAL EMISSION CERTIFICATION FED EMIS(FE9)

GU5 = AXLE,REAR,3.23 RATIO 3.23R(GU5)

IL3 = TRIM,INTERIOR DESIGN INTERIOR TRIM DESIGN(IL3)

JE5 = BRAKE SYSTEM PWR, ANTILOCK, FRT & RR WHL FRT & RR ANTILOCK BRK(JE5)

JJA = PT DRESS SUBASSEMBLY INSTALLED (MODULAR OPTIMIZATION METHOD ONLY) PLANT OPERATION(JJA)

K14 = FILTER AIR, AUTO RECIRCULATING AUTO RECRC AIR FILTER(K14)

K59 = CRUISE CONTROL AUTOMATIC ADAPTIVE ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL(K59)

KA6 = HEATER,RR SEAT REAR SEAT HEATER(KA6)

KB6 = HEATER SEAT, COOLING, FRT COOLING FRT ST HTR(KB6)

KG4 = GENERATOR 150 AMP 150 AMP GEN(KG4)

LH2 = ENGINE GAS, 8 CYL, 4.6L/(281 CID), SFI, V8, DOHC, HO, ALUM, GM 4.6A(LH2)

MV3 = TRANSMISSION AUTO 5 SPD, HMD, 5L50-E PTU , ELECTRONIC, O/D ELEC 5-SPD AUTO TRANS(MV3)

N31 = STEERING WHEEL HEATED HTD STRG WHL(N31)

N87 = WHEEL 18 X 8, ALUMINUM ALUM WHL(N87)

NT9 = EMISSION SYSTEM FEDERAL, TIER 2 PHASE-OUT TIER 2 PHASE-OUT FED EMIS(NT9)

NV7 = STEERING,POWER,VARIABLE EFFORT P/S(VARIABLE)(NV7)

Q12 = TIRE ALL P235/50R18 FRT & P255/45R18 RR TIRE(Q12)

R6E

R8E

R9Z

SLL = SOLD ORDERS SOLD ORDER(SLL)

T43 = SPOILER,REAR RR SPLR(T43)

TQ5 = CONTROL INTELLIGENT HIGH BEAM INTELLIGENT HIGH BEAM CONTROL(TQ5)

TT6 = HEADLAMPS HIGH INTENSITY DISCHARGE HI INTENS DISCHARGE HDLP(TT6)

U2K = DIGITAL AUDIO SYSTEM S-BAND DIGITAL S-BAND AUDIO SYS(U2K)

U30 = CLUSTER INST, TACH, CLOCK CLUSTER(U30)

UA6 = THEFT DETERRENT SYSTEM ANTI-THEFT(UA6)

UE1 = COMMUNICATION SYSTEM VEHICLE, G.P.S. 1 GPS 1 VEH COMM SYS(UE1)

UG1 = OPENER GARAGE DOOR, UNIVERSAL UNIVERSAL GARAGE DR OPENER(UG1)

UJ6 = INDICATOR,LOW TIRE PRESS LOW TIRE PRESSURE IND(UJ6)

UV6 = DISPLAY,HEADUP HEAD UP DISPLAY(UV6)

UY5 = SPEAKER SYSTEM 15, DELUXE DELUXE SPKR SYS(UY5)

V03 = COOLING SYSTEM,EXTRA CAPACITY EXTRA CAPACITY CLG(V03)

V4X = MODEL CONVERSION GMX295, STS V8 STS V8(V4X)

V73 = VEHICLE STATEMENT - US/CANADA US/CANADA VEHICLE STATEMENT(V73)

VM3 = LABEL INFORMATION CONSUMER, CONTAINS BPR IMP STANDARD FOR FRT 5 MPH & RR 5 MPH 5 MPH BUMPER INFO LABEL(VM3)

YQ4 = INFOTAINMENT SYSTEM 012 INFOTAINMENT SYSTEM(YQ4)

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/385/2005stsmodeldesignation.jpg

madtuner
06-04-13, 03:53 PM
I can also confirm that car is an AWD.

EChas3
06-04-13, 07:51 PM
That's my choice car; truly a 'loaded' 1SG.

Is that color Blue Chip? I bet it looks great.

Ludacrisvp
06-04-13, 07:57 PM
That's my choice car; truly a 'loaded' 1SG.

Is that color Blue Chip? I bet it looks great.

No V brakes. Likely no active steering either.