: The Dragon

trukk
01-26-05, 09:59 PM
Has anyone driven the Dragon in their V?

Might make one hell of a East Coast meet.

I've never been, but have heard about it.

http://tailofthedragon.com/

Just wondering,

Trukk

CVP33
01-26-05, 10:10 PM
That looks fun and close. I still say we need to do a Blue Ridge Parkway run. My wife will be puking the whole way but I love it!:sneaky:

StealthV
01-26-05, 11:25 PM
From this past summer, I've got a movie doing it on the Buell (way too huge a file to post, it's 30 minutes long :D ). Haven't made it that way in the V yet.

The Dragon would make a great spot for a V-meet this spring!

DgtalPimp
01-27-05, 12:11 AM
From this past summer, I've got a movie doing it on the Buell (way too huge a file to post, it's 30 minutes long :D ). Haven't made it that way in the V yet.

The Dragon would make a great spot for a V-meet this spring!

How big a file? I can host it. :)

StealthV
01-27-05, 12:52 AM
It is 2+ GB. If I have a moment this weekend, I'll chop the resolution and do some quick editing to get it down to a manageable size for hosting.

CTSVader
01-27-05, 07:15 AM
Wow !!! 318 curves in 11 miles. That does sound like a good place for a get together. Someone keep us up to date.

cguthrie
01-27-05, 08:16 AM
For safety reasons, it's best to run the dragon mid-week. Less traffic. Biggest danger is inexperienced guys on racebikes, crossing lines, target fixation on your new V, etc.

Enjoy, but keep your eyes open!

CG
99STS 105K
97YZF ThunderAce 1000 19K sold
92FZR 600 16K sold

tedcmiller
01-27-05, 10:34 AM
I have done Deal's Gap (aka, the Dragon) several times on a motorcycle. It has claimed a lot of victims on motorcycles (one riding directly behind me) and in cars. The chance of a collision with a vehicle going the opposite direction is fairly high. I, personally, would not want to risk my V on this road for that reason.

The speed limit on the Blue Ridge Parkway is 45 MPH. Unless you want to risk running over a bicyclist or a hiker, I would not exceed that limit by much.

StealthV
01-27-05, 12:28 PM
There are many other less traveled highways in that neck of the woods that are just as fun and have less traffic.

Kels55
01-27-05, 01:23 PM
My co-worker attends a bike meet for the Dragon, and after hearing his story, I would very much like to make a run on it but haven't planned anything yet.

01-27-05, 01:49 PM
If the dragon is anything like Skyline or PCH, the how can you avoid the wall-to-wall winnebagos unless you are middle of the night or middle of the winter (Ok...no winter issues on PCH).....

tedcmiller
01-27-05, 02:10 PM
Deal's Gap (aka, the Dragon) is nothing like the PCH or Skyline Drive (I have been on both). Skyline Drive is just an extension of the Blue Ridge Parkway through the Shenandoah Valley. Both the BRP and Skyline Drive are low speed, scenic mountain roads. Deal's Gap is 11 miles of heavy duty twisties (as they say in Europe) with lots of elevation changes. You don't get on Deal's Gap in snow or ice unless you have a death wish. Not many 'Bagos use it either. The road has such a reputation for harboring nuts on rice rockets, normal folks tend to avoid it.

Harley Guy
01-27-05, 04:22 PM
If you want to learn more about what the Dragon is here is a decent link.
http://www.tailofthedragon.com/index.html. It is a great piece of road, but given the bike traffic I don't think you could push too hard on it. Still would be fun to drive. My daughter attends school and lives in Silva, NC. Very near the Dragon. I have not been down to visit (I live in Pittsburgh) with V yet. There are many great roads in this area and the mountain scenery is amazing. This would be a great place for a meet.

The NC State HOG rally is riding from Mt. Airy to Ashville in early June. We should have several hundred bikes on that trip. Ashville is about 60 miles to the east of the Dragon. I will be riding the dragon after the rally.

I think the fall would be a great time for a V meet in this area.:bouncy:

ctsvett
01-27-05, 04:26 PM
The dragon sounds more like a "Mullholland" than a PCH.. Lots of twisties.. no guard rails, and the bikers love it.

Reed
http://www.cadillacfaq.com

thebigjimsho
01-27-05, 05:37 PM
I think there are very few places that rival the enjoyment of driving the Blue Ridge Parkway or the many thousands of roads along the Appalachians. To my dismay, I missed the Dragon 2 summers ago when I was in the area for a driving getaway. I ended up circling the area without even knowing. I would also suggest a mid-spring, mid-week adventure to not have to deal with the enormous traffic.

I would be very interested if this happened.

cts-v ls6
01-27-05, 08:14 PM
I'm in. Book it.

Harley Guy
01-28-05, 12:24 PM
Spring or Fall work for me. If we plan it I will be there.