: Outdoor Temp.. Help

APatterson
01-26-05, 09:37 PM
...Alright.. I just had a quick question.. i have a 98 catera.. and i was driving the other day and i noticed my outdoor temp gauge.. it read "F" degrees f.. i was wondering about that i let it go thinking maybe it would fix itself, but then it started a countdown.. from the "F" to -1, -2, -3 and so on all the way to -40.. in a countdown style. anyone know whats wrong?

Vesicant
01-26-05, 09:46 PM
Could be the sensor malfunctioning or the HVAC unit itself messing up.

the sensor is located on the lower grille on the left side of the vehicle. Check it for dirt on the sensor or if its damaged. Make sure the connection is not damaged/corroded as well.

Sensor's 20 bucks or 15 if you go to cadillac-parts-dealer.com

Id check the sensor first. Does it report anything after it does its "countdown" ? It stays at -40?

APatterson
01-26-05, 09:54 PM
yes. it counts down to -40 and stays there.. then maybe after 30 min.. hmm.. but that makes me wonder.. you said it was on the left side of the front.. can you describe more of where.. like.. the bottom grille.. because just recently my car went into a ditch.. no damage, just knocked the bottom grille out of place just a little big.

can you decribe exactly where it would be..

Vesicant
01-26-05, 10:04 PM
The outside air temperature sensor is located in the front grill area under the front bumper of the vehicle. Thats what the service manual is telling me... im sorry i dont have an illustration.

You hitting the ditch may have had done something to it.

APatterson
01-26-05, 10:08 PM
i just walked outside to take a peek.. i looked at the front grille.. on the right hand side, there is two wires one being blue and the other being blue/white.. but they are cut/broken.. and a hole about the size of a marble where it looks like a sensor may have been on the actual grille that is not there on the left side.. but its gone..

think maybe its missing.. and the wires have something to do with it..?

Vesicant
01-26-05, 10:10 PM
Maybe... they would run the wires against the back of the grille there.

APatterson
05-01-05, 10:22 PM
so does anyone know where i can get a replacement sensor.. i scanned gmpartsdirect.com and i couldnt find it, anyone help me? please, i like knowing how warm/cold it is outside.. :histeric:

thank much..
a-patterson

Vesicant
05-01-05, 10:30 PM
Look for "Ambient Temperature Sensor". I believe thats what it's called. Only a $20 part. (w/o online discount off of cadillac-parts-dealer.com)

DanManDMC@cox.net
10-25-07, 07:20 PM
I just received a new outside ambient temp sensor, installed it, and it works fine. Initially it did read -40F. I turned the key to the on position without starting the car and left it there for 3 minutes and then turned it off. The wife took it for a spin and walaa, it works. I ordered it from:

Allen Samuels Auto Parts (a certified GM parts dealer)
Phone 866-455-3333
GM Part #9152245
Approx cost was $17.00

They shipped very quickly and they stock most anything you may need for your Catera. I also ordered the multi function module (relay) installed it and it cured the problem of radio turning off, trunk and gas lid not opening. Part # for it is GM #90490163 and cost was around $55.00

10KTGOLD
10-27-07, 08:52 PM
i thought it was the ice age and was gettin cold quick