: Rear Suspension Going Bad???

Phoneman
06-03-13, 06:22 PM
Hello Everyone - I apologize as I know this subject is discussed over and over again, but I just want to post my issue for my own resolution. :)

So just a little background.

I have a 2004 Escalade that I bought brand new in 2004 and I turned over to 100,000 miles while driving during our family vacation last year in July. The mileage now reads at about 104,000. Needless to say, I don't drive my truck that often as I have a couple other vehicles. I have never had to replace any of the suspension parts in the rear, but again I read often of everyone's issues and the joy of replacing compressor's, etc.

Now to the issue - Or how to determine how serious it is.

Since December I noticed that if anyone is sitting in the back seat that the compressor runs more often (i.e. it use to only run at startup). Is the increase in frequency a result of a bad shock, ripped boot or bad compressor? How can I test to find out what is wrong or rather what part is bad?

Once I find out what is wrong, I would like to replace the part(s) myself. Sure it is easier to just drop off my all time favorite truck to a mechanic, but I am fairly handy and ready to take on the task.

Any help or insight is greatly appreciated,

Bob

p.s We plan on driving the truck for our family vacation next month which is about 2500 miles round trip, so I want to resolve before our vacation if possible.