: Tires Revisited

TNT V
01-26-05, 08:50 PM
Those of you that purchased Michelin Pilot Sports (non-run flat), how have they been wearing compared to OE? Same or significantly better?

Z06CTSV
01-27-05, 02:04 PM
I don't have an answer. I just got a nail in my Goodyear's. Just started looking around for tires, and Michelin seems a very good choice. My only concern is the tire sizes. Michelin's closest is the 255/40/18's. Will it fit, without rubbing? And what about having no spare? I'm going today to see if I can have the nail removed and the tire fixed. I have 13,100 miles on the goodyears, which is pretty good by what I've read here...

Good Luck..
Joe
New Orleans

MRFOX
01-27-05, 02:21 PM
of course the Michelin are the most expensive tire available but they are good. I have 20" anteras on my 95 Eldo ETC with Michelin Pilot Sports 245/40/20. They do not rub but they just barely clear without rubbing. Mine is a daily driver and the 20" mich Pilot sports are holding up very well. The back show no ware in a year but its FWD. The front shows minor ware. The tires were 393.00 each mounted and balanced at Discount tire. Before switching to these I ate up some Goodyears and some Hangooks way too quickly. These are the only thing I get now because they last...............SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER

MRFOX,
HOUSTON

Z06CTSV
01-27-05, 05:00 PM
of course the Michelin are the most expensive tire available but they are good. I have 20" anteras on my 95 Eldo ETC with Michelin Pilot Sports 245/40/20. They do not rub but they just barely clear without rubbing. Mine is a daily driver and the 20" mich Pilot sports are holding up very well. The back show no ware in a year but its FWD. The front shows minor ware. The tires were 393.00 each mounted and balanced at Discount tire. Before switching to these I ate up some Goodyears and some Hangooks way too quickly. These are the only thing I get now because they last...............SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER

MRFOX,
HOUSTON

I just got back from the Goodyear dealer. Of course, they don't have the F1 supercar in stock. At first they wanted $440 per tire, I told them tirerack wanted $334 per tire and they went down to $400. The goodyear guy told me the reason my tires lasted longer then the average, here on the forum, is because I rotated them often.

Thanks,
Joe
New Orleans

thebigjimsho
01-27-05, 06:31 PM
I've rotated mine 3 times and while my fronts are just about done, my rears still have a few thousand miles left in them. Right now I'm getting close to 18,000 miles.

TNT V
01-27-05, 08:52 PM
Michelin's closest is the 255/40/18's. In Pilot Sports, Tire Rack quotes a 245/45/18 size. Is this correct?

thebigjimsho
01-28-05, 12:55 AM
For the original Pilot Sports, yes, you can get them in the 245/45 18 size. The newer, better Pilot Sport 2, however, does not come in our size. The closest you can get is 255/40 18. If you want the correct rolling diameter with these, you need aftermarket 19" wheels with 245/40 19.

TNT V
01-28-05, 01:04 AM
For the original Pilot Sports, yes, you can get them in the 245/45 18 size. The newer, better Pilot Sport 2, however, does not come in our size. The closest you can get is 255/40 18. If you want the correct rolling diameter with these, you need aftermarket 19" wheels with 245/40 19.
Thanks!

benjet
01-28-05, 01:45 AM
Check out TireRacks survey to see how they (based on data from their customers/users) rank all of the choices:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=MP

CTSV05
01-28-05, 09:26 AM
If the F1 Supercars are or seem to be much lower in quality, at least overall, why did Cadillac use them?

It seems that the GS-D3 would have been a better choice.

globed70
01-28-05, 09:31 AM
If the F1 Supercars are or seem to be much lower in quality, at least overall, why did Cadillac use them?

It seems that the GS-D3 would have been a better choice.

1. run-flat tires are the direction of GM (and now others) with high performance cars

2. they are so damn sticky at operating temperature

JEM
01-28-05, 12:14 PM

So far as I can tell the PS2 is basically the PS carcass with the tread pattern from the old MXX3. The MXX3 was the OE tire on the E36 M3, and a lot of folks consider them to be just about the best all-around dry tire yet made.

We put the Continental SportContact2s on my wife's car and I'm liking those a lot. They're perhaps a bit too aggressive a tire for her car - they feel a lot like the Bridgestone S-02, a bit quieter, wonderful turn-in and excellent grip but they won't impress anyone looking for a soft ride. When it comes time to do tires on the M5 it'll be either those or the PS2.

Z06CTSV
01-28-05, 04:12 PM
I decided to stick with the Goodyear's Supercar EMT. My dealer is charging me $315 per tire that seems a reasonable:helpless: , compared with others. I'm still concerned with getting away from the EMT's. Yes, I do believe that the Michelin's may have better treadlife, and may be equal in performance.:hide: Again, the EMT feature with no spare is a big selling point. A few weeks back a friend from my local Corvette club got a massive hole in his Z06 tire. Of course, he was out of town (Orlando), and the Chevy dealer did not have the tire in stock. It took the dealer 5 days to get the tire. At least the EMT's may buy me 150 miles of security and convenience. Just my .02....

Joe
New Orleans

Z06CTSV
01-28-05, 04:16 PM
If anyone needs to see how tire size may affect your car, here is a good site that compares size difference: http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.aspLike the closest tire to ours in a 40 is the 275/40/18....etc.

benjet
01-28-05, 05:14 PM
Again, the EMT feature with no spare is a big selling point.

Solution = get a spare.

You would have trouble getting me to put F1 EMTs back on this car, even if they were free. I have the GS-D3 and will not go back, the very slight edge the F1's *MAY* have over the GS-D3 in dry grip is FAR offset by the added smoothness to the ride, supposed treadlife, real world tire predictability/handling and the night and day difference in wet traction and noise level. And I say all these things considering the added price for the additional wheel (assume you would use an old F1 for your spare tire).

But YMMV

-Ben

AZstar
01-28-05, 05:28 PM
Solution = get a spare.

I agree. I put on the GS-D3's, bought a wheel from Tirerack, mounted an old runflat, bought a jack and lugnut wrench, all for less than buying 4 runflats. The best part is that I like the GS-D3's better than the runflats. When I autocross the car, the added weight in the back is actually an advantage.

In the final analysis, it's an easy decision for me. NO MORE RUNFLATS!

thebigjimsho
01-30-05, 02:19 AM
I agree. I put on the GS-D3's, bought a wheel from Tirerack, mounted an old runflat, bought a jack and lugnut wrench, all for less than buying 4 runflats. The best part is that I like the GS-D3's better than the runflats. When I autocross the car, the added weight in the back is actually an advantage.

Whatever gain in neutrality with the extra weight should be offset by the added weight, period.

As for autocrossing, around here you need to remove your spare.

Deltasendero
01-31-05, 12:24 AM
I have changed tires due to the fact that my EMT's were bald at 12,000 miles, much to my surprise. In addition, I needed snow tires for the winter here in North Dakota. I cannot believe the difference in road noise once the EMT's were gone. I can acutally hear the radio and have a conversation now. I chose the Dunlop Wintersport M3's in the non-runflat model. After my experience, I will never go back to run flats. The smooth ride over the expansion joints is amazing. Props to Dunlop for the performance of their M3 traction design also. I am amazed at the ability of this car for winter driving. I almost bought a used Suburban and put the V on blocks for the winter until I got the M3's on her.

jim mitchell
01-31-05, 02:22 PM

What size GS-D3's did you go with? Stock 245/45-18 or up a bit to 255/40-18's...??? I'm close to buying but wonder if the 255's would be a problem...?

globed70
01-31-05, 02:35 PM
What size GS-D3's did you go with? Stock 245/45-18 or up a bit to 255/40-18's...??? I'm close to buying but wonder if the 255's would be a problem...?

Not sure it's worth a slight (if any at all) and likely imperceptable advantage to warrant consideration.

gparmlee
02-01-05, 02:47 PM
Glad to know I'm not the only one bashing these EMT's. I've had nothing but problems with the Goodyears. The Dealer and Goodyear helped correct the problem (to some degree) by replacing 5 new tires in less than 10K miles..... The abuse my rims have takin? I wont even go there.

Bottom line, the skys opened up today and rain on poor tread = no fun. Spending time today shoppin for tires, any suggestions? I live in Houston so snow is not an issue.....

98vert6spd
02-08-05, 11:56 AM
i have the OE tires FS for 400/pair

Supercar EMTS

Andy
AndrewFox@sssnet.com

Trilio
02-08-05, 02:08 PM
Issue with using a run flat on a spare wheel is Tire Rack told me they would not mount one without a tire psessure sensor as there is a chance of safety concern should you get a flat and not know til the tire shredded away! I WAS going to get a set of Gs-Ds, mount on original rims and put EMT's on new rims for track events but I dont want the expense of more sensors. Any thoughts?

urbanski
02-08-05, 02:19 PM
I have a spare stock wheel/EMT without a TPS, I'm sure Discount/America's Tire will do yours without TPSs.
I don't, however, know if I'd track a car without them!

98vert6spd
02-08-05, 02:42 PM
sorry the EMTs are 245-40-18s

ylwjacket
02-08-05, 03:33 PM
I have pretty much settled on the GS-D3's. I will get an extra wheel from tirerack and mount an F1 EMT on it, and toss it in the trunk.

I figure with the way it's going, if I replace just the rears, I'll get to do all 4 in another 8k miles. At that price, it's not worth it.

Locally, people are anywhere from 355 (dealer) to 492 for the EMT's. GS-D3's are going from 222 (Sam's Club) to 324 for the GS-D3's. The price variation is just nuts.

thebigjimsho
02-08-05, 04:14 PM
sorry the EMTs are 245-40-18s
Yes, for the 3rd time, we know.

ctsvett
02-08-05, 04:33 PM
98Vert6Sp:
Warning one.. Post it in one place not in every thread that relates to tires please.

Reed

sefa01
02-08-05, 05:24 PM
I have a spare stock wheel/EMT without a TPS, I'm sure Discount/America's Tire will do yours without TPSs.
I don't, however, know if I'd track a car without them!

Having done half a dozen track events last year with the V, you don't really need the sensors. In fact, if you put racing tires on (such as the Hoosiers I have), the sensors are useless since it won't register tire pressure above 42 psi.

urbanski
02-08-05, 06:03 PM
i was just thinking that racing on an EMT with no TPS could be risky. but i've never raced :(