: ATS lights

MikeATS
06-03-13, 02:58 PM
For those that replaced the ATS 2.0T headlights with the HID conversion, what size are the bulbs? And is it dual beam, or 2 separate bulbs into one projector? I haven't been able to find any legitimate sites giving bulb sizes for the ATS.

Also, has anyone discovered any way to replace the headlights without taking the bumper off??

Thanks in advance!

romanats
06-03-13, 03:28 PM
its a 9006 bulb that you need. Get the 6000k bulb color when you are ordering HID. I did not take the bumper off, I went from behind the headlight there are 3 screws to take off the wheel well cover. When you pull it back stick your hand in there and feel the headlight dust cover. unscrew it and take it off its very tight in there. in order to get the hid wire through you need to make a hole in the dust cap. Everything else is plug and play. You also need to order anti flicker resistors. Otherwise your hid will not come on.

MikeATS
06-06-13, 02:46 PM
its a 9006 bulb that you need. Get the 6000k bulb color when you are ordering HID. I did not take the bumper off, I went from behind the headlight there are 3 screws to take off the wheel well cover. When you pull it back stick your hand in there and feel the headlight dust cover. unscrew it and take it off its very tight in there. in order to get the hid wire through you need to make a hole in the dust cap. Everything else is plug and play. You also need to order anti flicker resistors. Otherwise your hid will not come on.

Thanks Roman! That definitely helps. Im thinking of getting 4300k though... I like a more OEM look. Which HID brand did you purchase? And how are they working out for you?

Also, is the anti flicker resistors dependent on the car? Or possibly the HID kit? In other words, if I get a different HID kit, maybe I wont need the anti flicker resistor?

Thanks for your help!

romanats
06-06-13, 04:47 PM
i Like the 6000k color it looks oem. I went with DDM tunning i have purchased from them before and they stand behind their products. Had a set of HD on my 2008 G8 for 4 years and never had an issue. AS for Anti Fliker resistors i dont think it has anything to do with the HID it self its the cars BCM throwing it off and as soon as you connect HID start flicker. Some HID kits claim they have resistors built in. I followed another mebers steps and everything worked out fine.

MikeATS
06-06-13, 05:25 PM
i Like the 6000k color it looks oem. I went with DDM tunning i have purchased from them before and they stand behind their products. Had a set of HD on my 2008 G8 for 4 years and never had an issue. AS for Anti Fliker resistors i dont think it has anything to do with the HID it self its the cars BCM throwing it off and as soon as you connect HID start flicker. Some HID kits claim they have resistors built in. I followed another mebers steps and everything worked out fine.

Awesome, thanks for the info! I was looking at DDM Tuning as well... you can't beat that price!

I just ordered 4500k 35W. I'll see if I can get them to work without the anti flicker resistors. Will update post in (hopefully) 2 weeks with a picture :)

romanats
06-06-13, 11:28 PM
i tried without resistors the fliker

yohaishi
12-09-13, 07:24 PM
Without the anti flciker, my trunk can not be open, and the tire pressure monitor doesnot show the number also.

turbo_ats
12-11-13, 02:52 AM
It's easy. Just make sure you don't put any crappy ebay ballasts in there. Make sure the ballasts are CANBUS and they are plug and play with no issues. The CANBUS ballasts communicate with the computer. Otherwise the car sees a voltage difference and will shut off power to the ballasts soon after they turn on. Halogen run a very fast pulsing current where as HID need a steady 12v current. Whatever ballasts you buy make sure they are can bus. They are about $70 per ballast but well worth it. No headaches. I just did mine and found out the hard way.

pissedoffwookiee
12-11-13, 01:14 PM

Romanats much love to ya brother, but i disagree with you, I think he should use whatever color agrees with his eyeballs, in the past few months I had 6000k in my wife's Malibu, 5000k in my blue ATS, and now OEM HID in my gray one, and back to Halogen in my wife's SRX.

to my eyes the change in color from halogens to 6000k (cool white) was just too much, turned everything on the road blue, i disliked the unnatural colors of everything, blue world made my brain itch (i used to be a home theater designer and calibrated natural color reproduction is important to me)

the 5000k (pure white) to my eyes was excellent just a nice LED Tactical Flashlight white loved it, plus i went for an upgrade higher line 35 watt bulb and the output was crazy bright.

the 4300k (warm white) OEM are very nice, great output, luckily for us ATS has fantastic lighting no matter what, even the halogen was great light output, the OEM literally splits the difference and is not my 5000k wow but not my halogen meh either.

to your eyes it's 6000k all the way (like that Johnny Cochran rhyme) and that's awesome, MikeATS will have his own opinion too.

another thing to note is HID bulbs color cools with age, so OEM will age up and get whiter toward 5000K, i didn't have them long enough but the 5000k would start to blue