: Clear bra

Jinx
06-03-13, 10:49 AM
How much coverage is needed on the CTS-V? Nose, half-hood, full-hood? How bad do the rocker panels get hit?
Has anyone had the headlights done?

While we're at it, anyone in California tinted the windows? Did you do anything to the fronts? A guy at work says he's gotten away with tinting the fronts by keeping them lighter than the rears... but I look at his truck and the tint is still obvious and think he's only gotten away with it by looking like a mature law-abiding citizen.

baabootoo
06-03-13, 11:34 AM
3M has the new spray-on clear that I can't wait to try. I'll do the front nose, and about a foot up the hood. I haven't had many problems on the rocker panels at all. Each state has it's own laws on the amount of tint allowed. "Normally", the darker stuff can go behind the drivers head.

thebigjimsho
06-03-13, 12:28 PM
I would do the full hood. Rockers already have some factory protection but more couldn't hurt...

BigDog001
06-03-13, 12:50 PM
I had the CTS V Package done -- about 3rd up the hood and includes lights -- very happy with it -- I might have done full hood if I were doing it over -- I do HPDE driving. I am glad I did the Clear Bra.

Club Malibu
06-03-13, 05:03 PM
I have partial hood, partial fenders, headlights, full nose(fashia), full rockers, door cups and a little on the rear bumper to protect from luggage.

If I had to do it again, I would add full fenders, full hood and full rear bumper.

spearfish25
06-03-13, 08:04 PM
I have a friend who bra'd his whole car. At some point enough is enough.

Snotty Boom Body
06-03-13, 09:19 PM
Any recommendations on a clear bra manufacturer
Heard of 3M, any others our there?

vfaninva
06-03-13, 10:57 PM
I have the 3M system on my V coupe. Complete front including headlights and side mirrors and 16" on the hood. Looks great and easy to maintain. Bugs and grime wash right off. Wish I had done it on my last V.

fee5fofum
06-03-13, 11:43 PM
I'm very happy with the Xpel Ultimate (self healing) PPF on my V coupe !

https://www.xpel.com/products/xpel_ultimate_paint_protection_film.asp

Jinx
06-03-13, 11:43 PM
That's two votes for "next time, the whole hood." Is it because you get chips all the way up, or is it that the edge of the film is sometimes noticeable on such a high-profile surface?

dennych
06-04-13, 02:39 AM
another recommend for xpel ultimate. This stuff has been awesome recently. Get a good installer and you're set.

and full hood i'd recommend

I just polished and waxed mine over the weekend. I can't even tell it's even there usually.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/981378_10151467544074142_571757156_o.jpg

cvs
06-04-13, 08:05 AM
Does anyone know if it's possible to repair clear bra materials? I have the standard 3M setup on my car and there's a tear in the material on the right front fender behind the headlight. It looks like some road debris hit it and took a chunk out of it. Thanks.

Craig

neuronbob
06-04-13, 09:56 AM
I have a friend who bra'd his whole car. At some point enough is enough.

In retrospect, I should have clear bra'd my whole wagon. A couple of new scratches from flying dust on my 4000 mile road trip so far. OBM is like black, it shows every. single. imperfection. UGH! I did the typical front third of hood, front bumper, front fenders, rocker panels, above rear wheels, side rear bumpers, and rear cargo shelf, so those look good.

Vileem
06-04-13, 12:08 PM
I have partial hood, partial fenders, headlights, full nose(fashia), full rockers, door cups and a little on the rear bumper to protect from luggage.

If I had to do it again, I would add full fenders, full hood and full rear bumper.

I have the same and would do the same next time. I would rather do everything. i dont really like the lines...Its fairly noticable on my Black V.

Tinting in Cali really, depends, I did the rears to avoid getting pulled over, too many of my friends got pulled over for front tint.

vfaninva
06-04-13, 12:57 PM
That's two votes for "next time, the whole hood." Is it because you get chips all the way up, or is it that the edge of the film is sometimes noticeable on such a high-profile surface?

I like my partial hood but the line is noticeable up close. I chose the partial hood based on my previous raven black sedan experience. Although I never tracked my car it did see a lot of highway miles and the hood was not chipped/scratched beyond about the first 12". I will say that if I were to clear bra again I would do the entire hood just so I wouldn't have the line.

thebigjimsho
06-04-13, 01:18 PM

Powerdome sticks up.

----------

Does anyone know if it's possible to repair clear bra materials? I have the standard 3M setup on my car and there's a tear in the material on the right front fender behind the headlight. It looks like some road debris hit it and took a chunk out of it. Thanks.

Craig

That would be warranteed. Take it back where it was done.

As for others comments on lines on the hood, I've never had a problem with that. It shows to others its there and that I care about my car. The reshoot every couple years is the dumbest argument on the face of the earth...

Jinx
06-04-13, 02:00 PM
Reshoot? I don't understand.

thebigjimsho
06-04-13, 03:02 PM
No clear bra. Reshoot with paint.

Random84
06-04-13, 05:03 PM
How much does reshooting the fashia cost?
Because the installers locally want $800 - $1200 for 3M stuff.

Crazy.

cdog533
06-04-13, 05:08 PM
I've never had a clear bra and have just driven my cars as normal. So they have a few rock chips on the front spoiler after a few years...big deal. They didn't need a repaint.

My Escalade had 130K miles when I traded it and there weren't enough rock chips that the average person would even notice.

Taking care of a car is one thing; clear bras are the equivalent of the Italian grandmother with the plastic on her furniture! These are mid-price production cars, not 1932 Auburns on their way to Pebble Beach.

Random84
06-04-13, 05:26 PM
Yeah...

I want to get a clear bra for the retentive "protect my investment" side. But then I think about what else I could do with that $800+. Then I think about... "okay, so how long do I live with a mucked up saran wrap coating before I peel it off and do it again for another $800?"

After a while, I feel like it's a waste not because it doesn't work - but because everything wears out eventually and the only car I had where the paint became an issue was 20 years old, on it's second motor/trans/differential and looked so dated that no one wanted to take it for free. :D

And if you trade the car in for another, the dealer doesn't really care about "normal" wear and tear on a 10 year old car.

vfaninva
06-04-13, 10:50 PM
How much does reshooting the fashia cost?
Because the installers locally want $800 - $1200 for 3M stuff.

Crazy.

I got mine for $600. Is $800-$1200 the best price where you live?

stl_ls1gto
06-05-13, 04:23 AM
I did full front bumper, headlights, half hood, mirrors, full rear bumper, and above the rear wheels where it flares out. I also went with the thermal tint that blocks out the heat, not just light, at 30% all around as it is just too dark and hard to see behind the car at night with 20% imho. I think for everything it was around $1300 if I remember. If I was not keeping the car forever, I probably would not do this.

As for it looking bad in time, my 2004 GTO has most of the same areas as this V, and the film still looks new. Granted I only have 13k on that supercharged beast, but the film does not degrade with time. Both are XPEL ultimate, same installer.

thebigjimsho
06-05-13, 08:51 AM
I've never paid more than $575 for a clearbra. It's warranteed and you get NO wear and tear.

As for the plastic on the furniture, its for show. I actually drove my V.

And to repaint your front end? Much, much more than $800-1200.

jb_bgg
06-05-13, 06:44 PM
Xpel is very good. Rear fender flare in front of the rear tires is where I see a lot of chips, road debris, etc.

Random84
06-06-13, 08:00 PM
I've never paid more than $575 for a clearbra. It's warranteed and you get NO wear and tear.

As for the plastic on the furniture, its for show. I actually drove my V.

And to repaint your front end? Much, much more than $800-1200.

But you bring up a good point - you no longer have the car. The Wagon is the third car I've said "I'm going to keep this one!" in the past 6 years. The other two are gone (one had a clear bra that was scuffed from bad wax jobs).

And in your case, the clear bra was likely a non issue on the sale because the car was so new/low mileage. Yeah yeah "the car was mint!" but realistically it would have sold anyway. I consider the clear bras a definite plus, but I wouldn't not buy a late model car because it didn't have one.

thebigjimsho
06-06-13, 09:56 PM
But you bring up a good point - you no longer have the car. The Wagon is the third car I've said "I'm going to keep this one!" in the past 6 years. The other two are gone (one had a clear bra that was scuffed from bad wax jobs).

And in your case, the clear bra was likely a non issue on the sale because the car was so new/low mileage. Yeah yeah "the car was mint!" but realistically it would have sold anyway. I consider the clear bras a definite plus, but I wouldn't not buy a late model car because it didn't have one.

I no longer have it because I'm a poor bum. My '04 was supposed to stay with me for life but ended in a deer incident. That had clearbra from the beginning and looked great for well over 5 years. It would've been 25 years. And for how well I protected the paint, it would've looked great.

For anyone that can accept the front end of their car looking faded and pitted, that's great. On my Town Car, maybe. That thing will be sold with well over 200,000 miles to someone used to a TC that old looking awful.

For a car a few years old with 50,000 miles needing to be touched up? That would drive me nuts. But hey, some can accept that...

Jinx
06-08-13, 01:09 AM
Xpel is very good. Rear fender flare in front of the rear tires is where I see a lot of chips, road debris, etc.

I did full front bumper, headlights, half hood, mirrors, full rear bumper, and above the rear wheels where it flares out.

In retrospect, I should have clear bra'd my whole wagon. A couple of new scratches from flying dust on my 4000 mile road trip so far. OBM is like black, it shows every. single. imperfection. UGH! I did the typical front third of hood, front bumper, front fenders, rocker panels, above rear wheels, side rear bumpers, and rear cargo shelf, so those look good.

What around/above the rear wheel needs to be done?

I'm getting Xpel Ultimate done tomorrow night + Sunday -- full custom front, full hood and front fenders, behind the rear wheels into the rear bumper, and the top of the rear bumper.

stl_ls1gto
06-08-13, 11:40 PM
I almost did the full roof as well on mine so when I use the roof rack for either bikes or a luggage carrier (that I might buy and have painted white diamond to match the car, which would look pretty sick imo). After thinking about it though, the roof would be a pretty easy job to do with no cuts or curves to go around since I ordered with no sunroof, so I am going to do that myself and save a bunch of cash that way.

----------

I've never paid more than $575 for a clearbra.

What areas were done for that price though, probably just the basic front bumper and partial hood right? When you add all the other areas in it jacks it up a lot. The guy that installs mine does most of the highend dealers in the area and he told me that dealers charge their customers $2000-3000 for the high end MB, Audi, BMW,Porsche, Lambo,Ferrari etc. If they would just get it done through him directly, they would save 50%.

thebigjimsho
06-09-13, 06:33 PM
I almost did the full roof as well on mine so when I use the roof rack for either bikes or a luggage carrier (that I might buy and have painted white diamond to match the car, which would look pretty sick imo). After thinking about it though, the roof would be a pretty easy job to do with no cuts or curves to go around since I ordered with no sunroof, so I am going to do that myself and save a bunch of cash that way.

----------

What areas were done for that price though, probably just the basic front bumper and partial hood right? When you add all the other areas in it jacks it up a lot. The guy that installs mine does most of the highend dealers in the area and he told me that dealers charge their customers $2000-3000 for the high end MB, Audi, BMW,Porsche, Lambo,Ferrari etc. If they would just get it done through him directly, they would save 50%.

That and mirrors.

Jinx
07-12-13, 11:16 AM
Does anyone have photos of the film they had done on the rear fender and rocker area? I know the film is invisible from a distance, but the edges are visible close up, and I'm curious about how you / your installers chose to go in that area, since there aren't any body lines that can be followed.