: Brand New CTS-V Overheated and Broke Down

spadad
06-02-13, 10:16 PM
I picked up my brand new CTS-V wagon yesterday. I ordered it and waited 6 weeks. I leased it. I drove the car about 23 miles from the dealership, and then the engine overheated and started smoking and several dashboard lights lit up. I pulled over and pressed the OnStar button and asked for a tow truck. The person at OnStar said that she couldn't locate a towing company, but I was in a city with at least 20 towing companies. Then she said that I was going to have to pay for the towing, which infuriated me. I talked to 3 people at OnStar, who were all useless in figuring out how to get a tow truck. I then called the dealership and they called a tow truck for me. It took more than an hour and a half from when the car broke down until the tow truck arrived. I got tired of waiting and left the car with the keys in it before the tow truck arrived. I believe that the engine was damaged from overheating and making black smoke that smelled like burning oil and plastic. I don't feel like I can trust a car that didn't make it home from the dealership. What should I do?

odla
06-02-13, 10:36 PM
I Would ask for a new one. What you went though even without the tow problem is crazy.

hakalugi
06-02-13, 10:39 PM
wow, sounds awful. did the temp gauge spike? my 2nd car did this (not 'new') but had these symptoms, turns out the hose-clamp to the bottom of the radiator had failed and the coolant drained completely out of the car - here I was staring at the temp gauge and it wasn't high at all (yeah, it takes coolant to actually register a temp).

The good news, being a lease, this is their asset - not yours - at this point. Do leases include the "Cadillac Shield" so you can get a loaner while they sort it out?

Had it been on any test drives before your 23 miles? or were you the first few dozen miles on it?

Good luck, see how it sorts itself out, the Wagon is an amazing automobile, don't give up on it yet.

SARDEANIE
06-02-13, 10:40 PM
Is this for real? LOL

baabootoo
06-02-13, 10:53 PM
We'll have to wait for an update.

cdog533
06-02-13, 11:18 PM
Maybe it was a dealer prep issue.... Low coolant/no coolant. Maybe low oil?

Could have been an engine that just let go.

At any rate, this is NOT typical of these cars.

Maybe they will give you a new one to make up for this, seeing as the car was new.

GM-4-LIFE
06-02-13, 11:39 PM
Call Cadillac customer assistance center and setup a case with them ASAP! Have them escalate the issue all the way up the chain and ask for a replacement vehicle. Tell them you won't accept anything less and that you will consult a lemon law attorney if they don't replace it. Keep us updated. In any event, this is NOT typical for the V series line of vehicles. I have never heard of this happening.

Snotty Boom Body
06-03-13, 05:30 AM
As long as you left the keys in it all should be good

neuronbob
06-03-13, 06:10 AM
OP, if its any consolation, I have been on this board since the beginning of this model run and can tell you that what happened to you is exceptionally rare. I am currently on a multi-thousand mile road trip with my V wagon and can tell you that these cars run like a top--they are generally dependable.

Be thankful you have a lease--it is the bank's asset so long-term you have no worries anyway. Have the dealer figure out what happened and get a Cadillac rep involved ASAP!

And WTF about no available tow through OnStar? That's unusual, too.

Blakester
06-03-13, 08:33 AM
I'm calling B.S. on this!

Zhariak
06-03-13, 08:34 AM
I don't know if this is part of Cadillac's U.S. program, but in Canada, we have a separate number for Cadillac roadside assistance. The Cadillac roadside assistance (I could be wrong) is supposed to take care of everything.

Speaking of this, I need to add that phone number to my cell just in case...

nynd
06-03-13, 09:22 AM
The post is BS.. who leaves the keys in a car and walks away? And as soon as the temp gauge hits the red, lights should be on and you'd be smart enough to pull over.

baabootoo
06-03-13, 11:37 AM
The post is BS.. who leaves the keys in a car and walks away? And as soon as the temp gauge hits the red, lights should be on and you'd be smart enough to pull over.

Jerry Seinfeld.................. :)

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-03-13, 12:08 PM
I picked up my brand new CTS-V wagon yesterday. I ordered it and waited 6 weeks. I leased it. I drove the car about 23 miles from the dealership, and then the engine overheated and started smoking and several dashboard lights lit up. I pulled over and pressed the OnStar button and asked for a tow truck. The person at OnStar said that she couldn't locate a towing company, but I was in a city with at least 20 towing companies. Then she said that I was going to have to pay for the towing, which infuriated me. I talked to 3 people at OnStar, who were all useless in figuring out how to get a tow truck. I then called the dealership and they called a tow truck for me. It took more than an hour and a half from when the car broke down until the tow truck arrived. I got tired of waiting and left the car with the keys in it before the tow truck arrived. I believe that the engine was damaged from overheating and making black smoke that smelled like burning oil and plastic. I don't feel like I can trust a car that didn't make it home from the dealership. What should I do?

Hello spadad,

I am sorry for this experience you went through! I would be frustrated in your situation also. Please keep us informed on the situation and outcome. We can continue to interact via private message in case there is personal information that needs to be collected for me to further assist you. I understand some people have a hard time via private message, so we can interact via Email also, by contacting me at socialmedia@gm.com with ATTN LAURA in the headline.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

spadad
06-03-13, 12:31 PM
The dealer said a hose clamp came off. The car was brand new and had 5 miles on it when I picked it up.

----------

@ Sardeanie Yes, it's for real.

----------

@ Blakester Bad call. This really happened. Call Hudson Cadillac in Poughkeespie, NY, and ask them about it. My salesman was Glenn.

----------

@ NYND I left the keys in it and walked away because it was 90 degrees and I was sitting in the sun and sweating. Let someone try to steal it. They wouldn't have gotten far. Also, the temp gauge spiked and the lights came on all at the same time. I was in the left lane of heavy traffic and it took about 10 seconds to get over to the shoulder and stop.

thebigjimsho
06-03-13, 12:31 PM
I'd demand a brand new car.

spadad
06-03-13, 12:32 PM
GM would not take the car back, but offered to pay for the first month of the lease. I guess I'll try it again and see how it does. But I still think OnStar is worthless.

thebigjimsho
06-03-13, 12:37 PM
So the engine isn't toast?

spadad
06-03-13, 01:40 PM
So the engine isn't toast?
There was some black smoke coming out of it that smelled like burning plastic and oil, but apparently the engine works fine. I'll find out when I drive it.

RGaret
06-03-13, 01:53 PM
GM would not take the car back, but offered to pay for the first month of the lease. I guess I'll try it again and see how it does. But I still think OnStar is worthless.

Do yourself a favor and get yourself an attorney. I would not want anything to do with this car now. Something like this is completely unacceptable.

quikag
06-03-13, 02:06 PM
spadad, this is a VERY unusual failure. I've sat in 100F+ heat in park at idle for over an hour and the coolant temp gauge never even flinched. I've always had good luck with Onstar.

EDIT: So, a hose clamp fell off and caused this major issue? That sucks. GM should make it right for you. If the engine wasn't damaged (it typically protects itself with situations like this), you should be back on the road soon.

----------

Do yourself a favor and get yourself an attorney. I would not want anything to do with this car now. Something like this is completely unacceptable.

I am THAT guy that will nearly blow up a building over a customer service issue, but consider these facts:

1. It's a lease, so if the engine fails down the road, he'll get a loaner (with free miles) while they put in a new engine on his leased car.
2. He's getting one month free, so that's $600-900+ dollars depending on terms for his trouble.
3. Black smoke is weird, but typically the engine will shut itself down if parameters go outside a certain tolerance, so it's possible fixing the clamp and putting in fresh coolant, the engine will be fine.

If this guy bought this car (i.e. he didn't lease it), I'd be agreeing with y'all to demand another car, but since it's a lease, who really cares? They'll fix his car and he'll get another CTS or ATS to beat on while his car is in the shop saving the miles on his lease. That's the way I look at it with my CTS-V lease.

thebigjimsho
06-03-13, 02:28 PM
And I've tracked my V to 150mph at VIR in 95 degree heat. No issues whatsoever...

RGaret
06-03-13, 02:34 PM
spadad, this is a VERY unusual failure. I've sat in 100F+ heat in park at idle for over an hour and the coolant temp gauge never even flinched. I've always had good luck with Onstar.

EDIT: So, a hose clamp fell off and caused this major issue? That sucks. GM should make it right for you. If the engine wasn't damaged (it typically protects itself with situations like this), you should be back on the road soon.

----------

I am THAT guy that will nearly blow up a building over a customer service issue, but consider these facts:

1. It's a lease, so if the engine fails down the road, he'll get a loaner (with free miles) while they put in a new engine on his leased car.
2. He's getting one month free, so that's $600-900+ dollars depending on terms for his trouble.
3. Black smoke is weird, but typically the engine will shut itself down if parameters go outside a certain tolerance, so it's possible fixing the clamp and putting in fresh coolant, the engine will be fine.

If this guy bought this car (i.e. he didn't lease it), I'd be agreeing with y'all to demand another car, but since it's a lease, who really cares? They'll fix his car and he'll get another CTS or ATS to beat on while his car is in the shop saving the miles on his lease. That's the way I look at it with my CTS-V lease.

I see your points, I too lease and don't buy for these reasons. But, consider that he's paying for a CTS-V. If they gave out a CTS-V as a loaner then no harm, no foul. But they don't. It's like renting a room at the Ritz Carlton and getting a room at the model 6 for the same money. It would make me upset. I wrapped a new (7 month old) Lexus around a Honda Civic a few years back. Car was fixed like new, but I couldn't stand driving it anymore. When the lease was up, I returned it, no problem, no loss to me at all.

quikag
06-03-13, 02:52 PM
I see your points, I too lease and don't buy for these reasons. But, consider that he's paying for a CTS-V. If they gave out a CTS-V as a loaner then no harm, no foul. But they don't. It's like renting a room at the Ritz Carlton and getting a room at the model 6 for the same money. It would make me upset. I wrapped a new (7 month old) Lexus around a Honda Civic a few years back. Car was fixed like new, but I couldn't stand driving it anymore. When the lease was up, I returned it, no problem, no loss to me at all.

He'll still have the miles to rack up when he gets the car back from the shop though. So, in the meantime he can rag out a V6 CTS or an ATS and those miles don't count towards his annual lease limit. I'm a few thousand miles over my lease, so if my car breaks down, I actually don't mind. It'll help me bank back some of those miles. :) So, using your Ritz analogy, you'll still get the same number of nights at the Ritz that you paid for, they just need to move you to Motel 6 for one night and they are giving you a free night at the Ritz for compensation. Not that bad of a deal overall.

And remember, this will only be an issue if the engine actual fails or he has other issues down the road which isn't necessarily a given. In the meantime, they're already paying a month of his lease for his trouble, so that compensates some of his hassle.

RGaret
06-03-13, 03:24 PM
He'll still have the miles to rack up when he gets the car back from the shop though. So, in the meantime he can rag out a V6 CTS or an ATS and those miles don't count towards his annual lease limit. I'm a few thousand miles over my lease, so if my car breaks down, I actually don't mind. It'll help me bank back some of those miles. :) So, using your Ritz analogy, you'll still get the same number of nights at the Ritz that you paid for, they just need to move you to Motel 6 for one night and they are giving you a free night at the Ritz for compensation. Not that bad of a deal overall.

And remember, this will only be an issue if the engine actual fails or he has other issues down the road which isn't necessarily a given. In the meantime, they're already paying a month of his lease for his trouble, so that compensates some of his hassle.

I hadn't considered the mileage issue. I never go over miles on mine. As long as the car gets fixed and doesn't sound too much time in the shop. In other words, I hope this doesn't become a lemon. But if it does, then GM would have to buy the car back so again, all would be made right.

cdog533
06-03-13, 04:04 PM
My concern would be head gasket issues. If the oil turns into chocolate milk in the future, you have a problem.

jmargo
06-03-13, 04:20 PM
As long as this is documented you should be covered for any issues down the road associated with an overheating.

SilverrV
06-03-13, 05:40 PM
Call Cadillac customer assistance center and setup a case with them ASAP! Have them escalate the issue all the way up the chain and ask for a replacement vehicle. Tell them you won't accept anything less and that you will consult a lemon law attorney if they don't replace it. Keep us updated. In any event, this is NOT typical for the V series line of vehicles. I have never heard of this happening.

Depending on the state lemon law would not apply. Lemon law requires the same problem or multiple problems within a time frame. Although it sucks lemon law would not be applicable. I think the dealer should do the right thing and replace the V

austin
06-03-13, 06:40 PM
spadad, this is a VERY unusual failure. I've sat in 100F+ heat in park at idle for over an hour and the coolant temp gauge never even flinched.

This past weekend I was sitting in bumper to bumper crawling traffic for over an hour.. With the A/C on High.. It was a sweltering 98 degrees out!! The temperature gauge bumped up and down ever so slightly hanging around 205-210 the whole time. I was impressed. :)

Perhaps a bad thermostat and or a bad cooling fan relay?? This is not normal.. These cars have an incredible cooling system.

Please keep us posted as to what the issue was. Good luck.

Jinx
06-03-13, 07:25 PM
Do the modern Chevy smallblocks have the "limp home" mode? Did that die with Northstar or has it become so commonplace nobody bothers to list it as a feature anymore?

spearfish25
06-03-13, 08:02 PM
Look into your state law for voiding a new vehicle purchase. Some states have a few days window for a complete refund if you have problems. If your car truly smoked and smelled, there is engine damage. Period.

Do we all need to go heck radiator hose clamps now?

Trapspeed
06-03-13, 09:32 PM

I think he said it was a hose clamp issue. Sucks either way.

mpouls1
06-03-13, 09:42 PM
There was an issue with my hose clamp long long time ago. Thankfully it wasn't bad and I noticed the fluid under the car before I headed to work. I'm paranoid. I always check my garage floor and look underneath on the pavement whenever leaving places.

I have a tow company number saved to my cell also. I trust them. I don't want some dumb guy screwing up anything pulling my car onto a flatbed. I don't mind paying the 50bux.

1997BlackETC
06-03-13, 09:42 PM
Not necessarily engine damage if it smoked, could have been something like a hose or electrical wire was routed too close to the engine or exhaust from the factory and fried and smoked making things look worse then they necessarily were and that could be why the car died too. Replace the wire or hose and clean off the exhaust and the car would be good as new. We need to know more facts and those should be known in time.

spadad
06-03-13, 10:00 PM
This past weekend I was sitting in bumper to bumper crawling traffic for over an hour.. With the A/C on High.. It was a sweltering 98 degrees out!! The temperature gauge bumped up and down ever so slightly hanging around 205-210 the whole time. I was impressed. :)

Perhaps a bad thermostat and or a bad cooling fan relay?? This is not normal.. These cars have an incredible cooling system.

The dealer said a hose clamp was loose and a hose popped off. But if it was just antifreeze, I'm not sure why there was black smoke and an odor of burning plastic.

odla
06-04-13, 12:48 AM
I would drive it like i stole it for a bank robbery. Test it lol.

the blur
06-04-13, 01:19 AM
Now that all the kinks are worked out, enjoy the car. I brought my V used. The previous owner had 15 warranty problems, including transmission work. Now the car is perfect for me, not 1 problem.

austin
06-04-13, 06:53 AM
The dealer said a hose clamp was loose and a hose popped off. But if it was just antifreeze, I'm not sure why there was black smoke and an odor of burning plastic.

Oh, hopefully everything will be good now.. The smoke was probably just the anti-freeze hitting the hot exhaust creating a chemical reaction.. If there is no other signs of damage then your all set.

neuronbob
06-04-13, 09:50 AM
Checking in today after spending yesterday blasting through the Rockies on back roads in the V wagon. WOW. Glad it was a simple problem, OP. Enjoy the hell out of your car. I sure am enjoying mine!

HUGN*RDS
06-04-13, 10:33 AM
Glad it got resolved, so far. That really does blow, though. I would be extremely paranoid for a while until I put on some good miles. Hopefully it doesn't become a headache car you're always dropping off at the dealership, for a rental or otherwise something else problematic. The V is a good car though, hopefully yours will shape up once broken in. I hate having my time wasted especially with dealerships who don't do the right thing.

Sounds like your dealership is a good one, but as far as the Onstar goes I'll definitely be ignoring GM's renewal requests now because that part of the story is pretty mind boggling. It should be free when they're that incompetent. How do they expect to survive in the S&P if this is the standard calibration of their service? (GM goes back on Friday for the first time since the bailout)

Thankfully most of us have the Cadillac shield protection in effect, onstar is disappointing and doesn't deserve to be capitalized.

Big Jay
06-11-13, 01:48 AM
Do the modern Chevy smallblocks have the "limp home" mode? Did that die with Northstar or has it become so commonplace nobody bothers to list it as a feature anymore?

My 03 C5 has it. Not sure about my C6.

Mr. Hyde
06-11-13, 06:53 AM
I just picked up my brand new CTS-V Coupe. The very next morning my wife and I drove it to our warehouse to inventory our business. About 20 miles from home, so a total of about 25 miles since I got it, cruising on the freeway and all of a sudden the car goes into "Reduced Power Mode" and the Traction Control lights up as well. I activated the OnStar and asked them to run a diagnostic on it.
Comes back as Multi-Port Fuel Injection System-service immediately. I did not want to limp it back to the dealer I purchased it from, so OnStar called a local dealership, where I actually bought my first CTS from, and they said it was the connector on the gas pedal, came loose.

Brand new cars do break!

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-11-13, 01:24 PM
I just picked up my brand new CTS-V Coupe. The very next morning my wife and I drove it to our warehouse to inventory our business. About 20 miles from home, so a total of about 25 miles since I got it, cruising on the freeway and all of a sudden the car goes into "Reduced Power Mode" and the Traction Control lights up as well. I activated the OnStar and asked them to run a diagnostic on it.
Comes back as Multi-Port Fuel Injection System-service immediately. I did not want to limp it back to the dealer I purchased it from, so OnStar called a local dealership, where I actually bought my first CTS from, and they said it was the connector on the gas pedal, came loose.

Brand new cars do break!

Hello Mr. Hyde,

I apologize for the experience you and your wife had to go through with your brand new vehicle. Is the vehicle at the dealership being fixed right now? I hope you have the vehicle back in your hands soon, and can enjoy your CTS-V!

Regards,

Laura M.

Mr. Hyde
06-15-13, 09:06 AM
Three days later and all was well. Got her home and gave her a good bath. Noticed two small dents in the hood. Of course no one wants to take "credit" for those dents, so I have a brand new car that was in my hands for a total of two days now and I have to either live with the dents or pay the expense out of my own pocket.
Hello Mr. Hyde,

I apologize for the experience you and your wife had to go through with your brand new vehicle. Is the vehicle at the dealership being fixed right now? I hope you have the vehicle back in your hands soon, and can enjoy your CTS-V!

Regards,

Laura M.

Club Malibu
06-15-13, 09:33 AM
Noticed two small dents in the hood. Of course no one wants to take "credit" for those dents, so I have a brand new car that was in my hands for a total of two days now and I have to either live with the dents or pay the expense out of my own pocket.

Dude that sucks. My dealership has a paintless dent repair service. I never used it but call up your dealership, tell them, let them pay for it.

texasnoiz
06-15-13, 10:13 AM
take it to the track.

spearfish25
06-15-13, 11:16 AM
That's why I avoid the dealership like the plague. Anything I can fix or live with avoids a trip. If i take my V to get the floor carpet replaced my luck would earn me a banged up wheel from a mechanic curbing it.

Squirlz
06-15-13, 12:12 PM

Yes. It happened to me when I was just starting a 600 mile trip. Scared the @$#&* out of me. Turns out the touchless car wash had gotten some sensor wet and it just needed to sit a while. Stopped for lunch then everything was okay.

thebigjimsho
06-15-13, 02:42 PM
It's why I always note to the dealer when I dropped off for service that the car was perfect. So they know if anything shows up while there, they know they're responsible...

Jinx
06-16-13, 10:55 AM
Doesn't the dealer do a walkaround and note any problems on a diagram? If they failed to note the hood dents in that diagram I'd say they should have to fix it at no cost to you... unless you didn't notice the dents until days later...