: my right fron tire blew!!

tOnE369
01-26-05, 09:11 AM
Last tuesday, as I got on the highway I noticed a vibration in the steeing. I decided to stay on the slow lane and was going at about 60km. All of a sudden my right front tire blew (inner side wall damaged). Not really sure what caused it. Could it be the fact that it was like -40C that morning? Not enough air in the tire??? Or, is it caused by the abnormal tire wear or feathering of the Cateras. I love driving my car but I'm a lil' paranoid now. Especially when I'm in the highway with my wife and kid. Could someone please shed some light in this matter? Thanks.

caddydaddy
01-26-05, 10:28 AM
Cold won't cause a tire to blow, and underinflation could cause it to blow if it overheated. But that is unlikely since it was so cold, and you didn't drive far. I would guess you hit something, maybe not that day, but did some damage to the tire. Check the fender well and see if there's anything protruding that may have caused it. If you buy good tires, you shouldn't have to worry about them. I've had a rear tire blow, but it was because I hit something in the road.

tOnE369
01-26-05, 06:35 PM
I've only had this car for almost two months now. Don't recall running over anything or hitting anything. I just ended up replacing all 4 tires. Got a set of Hankook winter tires (can't remember what model). But I got them in 225/45/17 compared to my factory which was 235/45/17. Is that okay??? Just starting to learn more about the car through the forums. It's great. Appreciate all the help I can get. I figured no one's trying to scam people into buying things here so why lie........right? LOL! Anyhow, thanks for the comment.

Vesicant
01-26-05, 07:57 PM
Usually ... its what you dont see (that you hit) that gets you lol.

235' is fine

caddydaddy
01-28-05, 11:28 AM
Check out this tire size calculator, it will show you how much your new tire size affects your speedometer. It will be 1.4% too fast, not much to worry about!

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html