: How To Burnout for Dummies?

Cadispeedster
06-02-13, 07:34 PM
I got a stupid question...

How do you burnout? Proper vs. Improper?

Rev, let go clutch, and hold foot brake slightly??

E-brake is only on the rear wheels, and I don't like the placement and operation of this type e-brake anyways...

H-town_V
06-02-13, 08:35 PM
Umm step;

1. Rev to 4k+
2. Drop the clutch
3. Grenade your rear diff

Our Vs are good at many things...burnouts is not one of them.

nikdsctsv
06-02-13, 08:38 PM
Umm step;

1. Rev to 4k+
2. Drop the clutch
3. Grenade your rear diff

Our Vs are good at many things...burnouts is not one of them.

lol then put the video up on you tube!

Becker
06-02-13, 08:42 PM
respect the car......burnouts were fun a decade ago, until I replaced my tires ($$$) and eventually my 10 bolt on my ws6...

odthetruth
06-02-13, 09:59 PM
Jesus H...

Step 1: clutch in
Step 2: go into first
Step 3: rev up
Step 4: slip off clutch and plant foot on brake while applying gas
Step 5: let off gas, clutch in, brake, etc.

nvthev
06-02-13, 10:01 PM
Buy a cheap tire burner. My choice is 95 LT1 caprice, 342 posi, and all the cheap azz used tires I can find.

darkman
06-02-13, 10:10 PM
Jesus H...

Step 1: clutch in
Step 2: go into first
Step 3: rev up
Step 4: slip off clutch and plant foot on brake while applying gas
Step 5: let off gas, clutch in, brake, etc.

You forgot the water box............

brngrhd
06-02-13, 10:35 PM
buy something cheap with tall gear, 3.08 or 2.73 are awesome, weld the spider gears together to make it like a spool, install line lock, use tires like it was hookers and blow

gruvent
06-02-13, 11:55 PM
I've found that you got to get the tires spinning without moving forward an inch, then once it tacks out, foot off of brake. No wheel hop.

H-town_V
06-03-13, 03:48 AM
I've found that you got to get the tires spinning without moving forward an inch, then once it tacks out, foot off of brake. No wheel hop.

I think your missing the point here. Sure there's a dozen different ways todo a good burnout.

We're saying its improper to abuse your V like that just to make a lil noise and some tire smoke.

The proper way todo a burnout would be in a cheaper older car that you can beat the shit out of. ( if a cts-v fits into that(cheaper older car) category then more power to you).

gruvent
06-03-13, 09:50 AM
Awl crap. I missed the point? I should pay more attention. I thought the OP ask for help with burnouts in a cts-v. Not if he should do them or not.

robojesus
06-03-13, 11:50 AM
I don't see someone breaking a diff on stock power UNLESS they don't let off when the wheels start hopping. Wheel hop is what breaks these diffs.

H-town_V
06-03-13, 01:42 PM
I don't see someone breaking a diff on stock power UNLESS they don't let off when the wheels start hopping. Wheel hop is what breaks these diffs.

I've personally seen/felt a diff blow up just from trying todo a burnout. And his car was a bone stock 05. Somehow my diff is holding up like a champ even though I abuse the hell out of it(I like going sideways).

If the op really doesn't car about possible damage, then the only way to learn how todo burnouts is by practicing. Find an empty lot were nobody is gonna mess with you and practice slipping the clutch with the revs up then quickly getting on the brake while keeping the revs up

Cadispeedster
06-03-13, 03:20 PM
Lol... Thanks all... Just wondering more for burnout to warm up the tires in the water on a track day...

thebigjimsho
06-03-13, 03:53 PM
I don't see someone breaking a diff on stock power UNLESS they don't let off when the wheels start hopping. Wheel hop is what breaks these diffs.Well...

I was at the strip and got wheelhop like a mortarforker.

So on the next run I launched from a slightly higher rpm. I just got a bunch o' tirespin. As I let off, the tires hooked and BANG!

robojesus
06-04-13, 11:24 AM
Do you think it's possible you may have damaged something when you hopped the run before?

thebigjimsho
06-04-13, 02:26 PM
Of course it could. But I suffered catastrophic metal failure. The casing split in two. Maybe the hop started the damage. But excessive wheelspin with backing off the throttle ended it...

PJGross
06-04-13, 04:10 PM
Even with my '96 Impala SS that I used to bracket race with quite a bit, I always drove around the waterbox. Gave it a quick brake-torque for a second to clean off the tires, then up to staging.
There's plenty of VHT around to give street tires more traction off the line. I can't imagine a need to light them up before staging.
If you really want to use the water box, drive around, then back into it so your front tires don't track water.

This is a weird thread, though. Going from how to do a burnout to how to do a burnout at the track are significantly different questions. I like my stock V rear diff way too much to do burnouts on the street or try to get decent 60' times at the track (without a burnout). I would go 8.8" or 9" long before getting "serious" at the dragstrip.

-PJ

253ctsv
06-04-13, 04:31 PM
I usually dump the clutch at 4500. But it seems to me the tires start to grip and the engine starts to bog and as this happens I let off the brake. I assume if I had the power to keep the rpms up that's when I'd blow the rear end.

gruvent
06-05-13, 12:22 AM
Agree. no track burnouts for stock setups. To sticky.

odthetruth
06-05-13, 06:24 PM
I think your missing the point here. Sure there's a dozen different ways todo a good burnout.

We're saying its improper to abuse your V like that just to make a lil noise and some tire smoke.

The proper way todo a burnout would be in a cheaper older car that you can beat the shit out of. ( if a cts-v fits into that(cheaper older car) category then more power to you).

Not if you were tracking the V on the strip. I'm not saying a giant smoking burnout is necessary, but at least heating them up in a small burnout helps get crap off the tires and warms up for grip.

Awl crap. I missed the point? I should pay more attention. I thought the OP ask for help with burnouts in a cts-v. Not if he should do them or not.

LOL Everyone dictates what everyone else should do with their own crap here.

You forgot the water box............

You're right. OP, Just roll in it a bit to wet the tires in reverse, but roll out the box and start the burnout and then keep going forward... otherwise you're gonna splash water all inside the wheel well, OP. LOL

JFensty
06-05-13, 09:26 PM
I usually do a quick dump to get a few rotations out. Never through or in the water. There is really no need.

Twitch
06-06-13, 11:11 PM
Second gear is more fun