: New To Cadillac

ChicagoRyan
06-02-13, 05:15 PM
Hi,

I'm in the market for a new vehicle and am considering an Escalade (along with Lexus GX 460) but had a few questions I was hoping to get honest answers on. Right now I'm in a Range Rover, but it is constantly having issues so I want to get into something more reliable. I am looking for used as I don't drive that much anyway so I can't justify a new priced Escalade.

1. Honestly, how reliable are they? What mileage do they tend to have issues, I've heard around 70k miles from a former owner.
2. If something does go wrong, are the replacement parts usually just GM? Right now Range Rover parts are very expensive, so I want to know if I can expect about the same price repairs or less.
3. If I get a 'Certified' preowned Escalade, what does that actually cover? I've seen a few different ones, some say 5 years/ 100k miles and other say 12 months 10k miles? I assume its also 5 years from the year of the car, and not from the day I buy it. I'm also considering a CPO Lexus since they offer 3 years (from the day you buy it)/100k miles, and Lexus is known for reliability, but I like what the Escalade has vs the GX 460.
4. I'm looking for an 2010 or newer with around 40k miles on it. However in my area there is a 2008 with 41kmiles for a decent price. Does anyone know the differences between say a 2010 vs 2008? I would think there isn't a warranty on the 2008, but was more curious as to what the differences really are.

Basically I like what I have seen and driven with the Escalade, but I just want to know how reliable it is. What I like about the Lexus is the warranty and was hoping that I would hear Cadillac had a similar warranty available. Thanks for any help.

Punmax
06-02-13, 06:02 PM
1) I have put 180,000K on my '07 and it has been very reliable. I did have one issue where the truck would stall and not start afterwards for some time, but that was easily fixed by replacing a camshaft sensor. Aside from the routine maintenance (wires, plugs, auto-ride struts, etc), I wouldn't hesitate to get into another one.

2) Since the Escalade shares many parts with GM's SUVs and trucks, parts are relatively inexpensive. I damaged my MAF sensor last week, and I ordered a brand new OEM replacement for $60 shipped.

3) I know nothing about certified warranties, but I would expect it to start when you make your purchase. We just bought a 7-series BMW, and the certified warranty started from the day we signed the papers.

Edit: Check this link: http://www.gmcertified.com/certified-advantage

4) I believe GM started to put their magnetic ride system starting from the 2009MY. From what I've heard, this suspension system makes the Escalade ride like a dream.

Read more here:

(2009 MY) http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-2007/137008-2009-escalade-changes.html

(2010 MY) http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-2007/175186-2010-cadillac-escalade-changes.html

You should drive both trucks and see which one you like better. I just can't get past the GX's exterior styling!

Singh G
06-02-13, 06:07 PM
Ryan,

Welcome to the forum. I cannot offer you any advise on a used Escalade with comparison to range rover. Before purchasing the Escalade, I was in market for a range rover sport. I was under the impression that the sport model was very reliable. Wife and I looked at one at the auto show and quickly realized that this vehicle was too small for our needs.

I ordered my Escalade new, and I walk to work. I love the Escalade for family excursions.

I will offer some advice on a used Lexux GX. My brother bought a 2006 gx470 last year at 70xxx miles. 6 months later he traded in for a 2013 jeep wrangler unlimited. He misses the nice ride of the Lexus, but definitely loves the reliability of a new vehicle. He bought his lexus with a third party warranty. His suspension system gave out and it was a few thousand to repair. At that point, he decided to ditch the lexus and go with new vehicle.

I would advise something 3 yrs or less if going preowned luxury. Otherwise, there are plenty of awesome SUVs that you can buy new, for the price of what you are looking to spend for a used vehicle.

soulsea
06-02-13, 06:17 PM
My previous 11 Premium also had Cadillac Shield which was fully transferable, which includes all scheduled maintenance for free, free multi point checks, guaranteed loaner, and some other perks as well. Check out the Cadillac website to see what years and trim levels are included in the Shield program and to also investigate the exact meaning of certified pre-owned. Anything 10+ at the relatively low mileage you're looking at will still be well into the BtB and powertrain warranties, but if you're looking for longer term coverage I highly recommend the GM Major Guard program, although more expensive than other 3rd party warranties, it is well worth the extra expense should all hell break loose.

As far as reliability, I'm on my forth of this gen. GM SUVs and other than the 07s which exhibit the growing pains of a first gen. MY, they're built like tanks, and I never had a major issue with any of them. That's not to say that they don't have some minor recurring quirks, but they're easily fixed and adorable in their own way. Range Rovers are pretty SUVs, but the upshot of owning an Escalade is that you get to enjoy it about 365 days a year as opposed to 180. :)

Mr.SWAG
06-02-13, 06:17 PM
I just traded in my range rover Sport Supercharge for a 2008 Esky..best decision I ever made.. The range is one of the biggest pieces of crap I have ever owned problem after problem..when I sold it the suspension would not raise up in the front lol..anyhow parts for the Esky are way way way cheaper and the Esky is way more reliable

ChicagoRyan
06-02-13, 07:07 PM
Wow, quick responses I like it!

Thanks for all the feedback, I really appreciate it. I like to talk with owners of the vehicles vs the dealers, I get honest responses. I guess with the issues I have had with the Range Rover, and the fact I spend thousands each time (2,500 last time for a coolant leak, plus the part was plastic) I'm looking to get something cheaper to fix or more reliable, thats why I was wondering about the warranty. If the Escalade is cheaper to fix then say a Range Rover then maybe the warranty isn't as important to me since it sounds like they are pretty solid cars.

The reason why I'm considering the Lexus is for the CPO and how they are supposed to be solid cars. However, they are very ugly cars (big 4runners basically), but they do ride nice and have a great interior. I prefer the look and the engine of the Escalade, I will have to read up on the different warranties available. I will probably pull the trigger this week so I will keep everyone posted.

BTW thats a pretty sick ride soulsea, do you happen to know the tint you went with?

----------

Since I got such good feedback I thought I'd throw this out there... Do any of these stand out to anyone as really good deals?

1) http://www.foleycadillac.com/VehicleDetails/used-2010-Cadillac-Escalade-Luxury-Northbrook-IL/1958736433

2) http://www.foleycadillac.com/VehicleDetails/used-2011-Cadillac-Escalade-Base-Northbrook-IL/1938326943

3) http://www.arniebauer.com/VehicleDetails/used-2010-Cadillac-Escalade-6.2L_V8_AWD_Luxury-Matteson-IL/2002683603

4) http://www.motorwerks.com/certified/CADILLAC/2010-CADILLAC-ESCALADE-bc1dde720a0a00e000daab162c8ad1ee.htm

robs07esv
06-02-13, 08:22 PM
We bought our 07 ESV two and half years ago Luxury CPO, which they don't offer anymore. Most CPO warranties are about the same and are almost as good as the original warranty but make sure you check what is covered first just to be safe. Most are normally 2-3 years not 1 year. If it's a year or some odd amount of months chances are it is the remainder of the warranty from the 2nd owner. We have about 93k on it at this point and it runs like a dream. Nothing but normal maint at this point and the front shocks were replaced under warranty. I would go for magnetic ride control as it is way smoother of a ride over non magnetic. We are thinking of selling it to get a Platinum ESV. So yes I would get another and wouldn't hesitate on used. Best of luck to you!

soulsea
06-02-13, 09:26 PM
Thanks Ryan ... the front side windows are 20% SunTek CXP tint to match the rear.

Here's a gratuitous dusk shot. :)

http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s444/soulsea1/Esky2/file_zps339d7e2b.jpg

One word of caution tho ... although they are waaaaaay more reliable than LRs, they are still machines and always have the possibility of having a major component fail. In the unlikely event that that happens it's not going to be a $20 fix, so personally I'd never russian roulette it and own one without either its original or a GM extended warranty. Basically the same principle as insurance ... you hope you never have to need it but you're really glad you have it if you do.

If you can do it just get an 11 with around 30K miles or newer that has the Cadillac Shield ... you'll have plenty of warranty left and you know that no matter what happens, you just hand the keys to the dealer, they give you another Caddy, and call you when it is ready ... AND all scheduled maintenance free. This way you don't have to pay extra for CPO.

ChicagoRyan
06-02-13, 09:44 PM
Thanks Ryan ... the front side windows are 20% SunTek CXP tint to match the rear.

Here's a gratuitous dusk shot. :)

http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s444/soulsea1/Esky2/file_zps339d7e2b.jpg

One word of caution tho ... although they are waaaaaay more reliable than LRs, they are still machines and always have the possibility of having a major component fail. In the unlikely event that that happens it's not going to be a $20 fix, so personally I'd never russian roulette it and own one without either its original or a GM extended warranty. Basically the same principle as insurance ... you hope you never have to need it but you're really glad you have it if you do.

If you can do it just get an 11 with around 30K miles or newer that has the Cadillac Shield ... you'll have plenty of warranty left and you know that no matter what happens, you just hand the keys to the dealer, they give you another Caddy, and call you when it is ready ... AND all scheduled maintenance free. This way you don't have to pay extra for CPO.

Good advice, I guess I have had so many issues with my Rover I'm a little gun shy when I'm looking at a new car. Very nice car, I like it. Appreciate all the feed back!

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-03-13, 11:35 AM
1) I have put 180,000K on my '07 and it has been very reliable. I did have one issue where the truck would stall and not start afterwards for some time, but that was easily fixed by replacing a camshaft sensor. Aside from the routine maintenance (wires, plugs, auto-ride struts, etc), I wouldn't hesitate to get into another one.

2) Since the Escalade shares many parts with GM's SUVs and trucks, parts are relatively inexpensive. I damaged my MAF sensor last week, and I ordered a brand new OEM replacement for $60 shipped.

3) I know nothing about certified warranties, but I would expect it to start when you make your purchase. We just bought a 7-series BMW, and the certified warranty started from the day we signed the papers.

Edit: Check this link: http://www.gmcertified.com/certified-advantage

4) I believe GM started to put their magnetic ride system starting from the 2009MY. From what I've heard, this suspension system makes the Escalade ride like a dream.

Read more here:

(2009 MY) http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-2007/137008-2009-escalade-changes.html

(2010 MY) http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-2007/175186-2010-cadillac-escalade-changes.html

You should drive both trucks and see which one you like better. I just can't get past the GX's exterior styling!

Hi Punmax,

Thanks for taking the time to share this information. Happy to hear your 2007 Escalade has been very reliable for you.

Regards,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

----------

Hi,

I'm in the market for a new vehicle and am considering an Escalade (along with Lexus GX 460) but had a few questions I was hoping to get honest answers on. Right now I'm in a Range Rover, but it is constantly having issues so I want to get into something more reliable. I am looking for used as I don't drive that much anyway so I can't justify a new priced Escalade.

1. Honestly, how reliable are they? What mileage do they tend to have issues, I've heard around 70k miles from a former owner.
2. If something does go wrong, are the replacement parts usually just GM? Right now Range Rover parts are very expensive, so I want to know if I can expect about the same price repairs or less.
3. If I get a 'Certified' preowned Escalade, what does that actually cover? I've seen a few different ones, some say 5 years/ 100k miles and other say 12 months 10k miles? I assume its also 5 years from the year of the car, and not from the day I buy it. I'm also considering a CPO Lexus since they offer 3 years (from the day you buy it)/100k miles, and Lexus is known for reliability, but I like what the Escalade has vs the GX 460.
4. I'm looking for an 2010 or newer with around 40k miles on it. However in my area there is a 2008 with 41kmiles for a decent price. Does anyone know the differences between say a 2010 vs 2008? I would think there isn't a warranty on the 2008, but was more curious as to what the differences really are.

Basically I like what I have seen and driven with the Escalade, but I just want to know how reliable it is. What I like about the Lexus is the warranty and was hoping that I would hear Cadillac had a similar warranty available. Thanks for any help.

Hello ChicagoRyan,

Welcome to the forum! I see the great interactions you have been having on this thread. A lot of great advice offered from other Escalade owners. Good luck with searching for a new vehicle! I have heard great things from Escalade owners and everyone loves its reliability. If there are other questions or concerns you would like to discuss, don't hesitate to reach out to us!

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

sdgc
06-03-13, 12:37 PM
Soulsea.. every time you post pictures i get mad... it makes me want to get a 2013 metallic black esky with dual exhaust... i just got the '12 last year!...please stop!

torr714
06-03-13, 06:20 PM
My wife Has a gx 460 and I have a 2010 esv no comparing the 460 is small inside caddy is roomy
This is my third caddy and every time get a year newer

rjm
06-03-13, 07:11 PM

Only if you get a decent Cadillac dealer. My old dealer would give loaners for anything. So far my '11 has only required scheduled maintenance, and my new dealer WILL NOT give loaners for scheduled maintenance regardless of what it says in the terms/conditions of Premium Care. They also don't have shuttle service, let alone drop off/pick up service. I had to remind the service manager at my last oil change that it did, in fact say CADILLAC on the side of the building.

Having said that, my '11 has been trouble free. All my Cadillacs, save an '05 STS, have only had a few niggling problems during the lease term (2 or 3 years) and so far the Escalade is proving to be the most trouble free (2 years into a 3 year lease).