: STS-V Intake Baffles

Guy.Seminerio
06-02-13, 03:38 PM
Hey I'm under the hood of my car right now. I'd like to remove the exhaust baffles to increase blower whine. Any reason I shouldn't do this? Where exactly are these baffles? Explain baby style please.

pwrsix
06-02-13, 05:57 PM
Do yourself a favor and install the Spectre CAI setup. Its my first mod and I installed it today. It looks good and really wakes up the supercharger. Sounds AWESOME!

Guy.Seminerio
06-02-13, 06:57 PM
Oh and I'm pretty sure I meant intake baffles.

----------

Yeah I'm looking at doing the whole Tim treatment one day. Just gotta wait till the funds are right

TimmyC
06-02-13, 08:10 PM
Take the big Y section of the intake off. The baffles are slid in from the back. Just pull them out. It's easy.

Guy.Seminerio
06-02-13, 08:27 PM
Sorry. Are you talking about the "y" that's formed when the intake pipes split and go around either side of the the supercharger/engine before meeting back up again behind it?

pwrsix
06-02-13, 09:21 PM
The whole Spectre setup cost $250 shipped from Summit.

Guy.Seminerio
06-02-13, 09:43 PM
Ill eventually end up with the intake tim developed. The one that eliminates the restrictive y altogether.

----------

So after the pipes split and just past the supercharger, those 2 clamps on each side, and the one clamp at the beginning of the y (nearest to the grille). Is there anything else I have to remove to get the y off? I imagine its bolted down somehow. So ill be able to access the baffles right by where the double clamps are right?

TimmyC
06-02-13, 11:14 PM
Ill eventually end up with the intake tim developed. The one that eliminates the restrictive y altogether.

----------

So after the pipes split and just past the supercharger, those 2 clamps on each side, and the one clamp at the beginning of the y (nearest to the grille). Is there anything else I have to remove to get the y off? I imagine its bolted down somehow. So ill be able to access the baffles right by where the double clamps are right?

There are some bolts that hold the y section down. Just get in there and do it. You'll figure it out.

Guy.Seminerio
06-03-13, 12:22 AM
Alright next weekend. Thanks Tim.

06 STS Rob
06-03-13, 09:23 PM
It's pretty easy like Tim said... Just start at the front clamp and work your way back. There's a few bolts on either side that hold it down but nothing tricky.
The hard part comes when you go to install Tim's intake. You'll have to remove the rear Y section at that point. I think I left 1/2 pound of flesh back there getting everything out and getting Tim's to fit right. Love the results though.

GizmoQ
06-03-13, 09:56 PM
Oh and I'm pretty sure I meant intake baffles.

Fixed!

:shhh:

----------

Hey I'm under the hood of my car right now. I'd like to remove the exhaust baffles to increase blower whine. Any reason I shouldn't do this? Where exactly are these baffles? Explain baby style please.

Doesn't removing the baffles upset the flow of air across the MAF and set a code??

Guy.Seminerio
06-03-13, 10:05 PM
My understanding is that it doesn't affect the car performance wise which leads me to believe that no, it doesn't alter the air flow. Someone who knows more will answer. This would be a deal breaker for me.

----------

Thanks for that rob and thanks gizmo for fixing the name of the thread.

PGA2B
06-03-13, 11:01 PM
Doesn't removing the baffles upset the flow of air across the MAF and set a code??

Nope its after the MAF. They are in the mufflers by the supercharger.

Guy.Seminerio
06-08-13, 12:26 PM
Removed the baffles yesterday. Big difference. So far I like the change. For those in the future who want to do this you'll need a deep socket 3/4 inch for the strut bar and a deep socket 10mm to unbolt the y portion of the intake. Also a flathead screwdriver to loosen the clamps. Easy job.

wake
09-11-14, 07:40 PM
Old thread but I thought this would be the best place to add to since it comes up in searches.

Changing out the plugs in my V and pulled the tubes/baffles out of the stock intake. I'm wondering if a better option would be to replace them with solid pipe of some kind? PVC pipe maybe if I can find a matching size. I pulled mine but was thinking it will disturb the air flow too much when I see what's left inside the hollow cavern inside there.

I need to keep a stock appearance on the vehicle since I have a lifetime powertrain warranty by the selling dealership that I'd like to keep. At 15-20K miles a year on the V, it won't be too long in the future before I'm turning over 200K miles (102k miles now).

hiltonny
09-15-14, 09:30 AM
How loud is Tim's intake compared to the Spectre and the stock intake?

baller95
09-15-14, 09:51 AM
How loud is Tim's intake compared to the Spectre and the stock intake?
Stock is nothing, spectre is loud and in not sure about Tim's.

jasonp12
09-15-14, 09:54 AM
Stock is nothing, spectre is loud and in not sure about Tim's.

Tim's is awesome. I love it. Cant say for spectre, since I have not had it. But with Tim's, you will not be disappointed.

baller95
09-15-14, 09:57 AM
Tim's is awesome. I love it. Cant say for spectre, since I have not had it. But with Tim's, you will not be disappointed.
Yeah I can believe that! I got the spectre because I had a limited budget but if I ever have extra money I'll "upgrade" to Tim's.

jasonp12
09-15-14, 10:27 AM
Yeah I can believe that! I got the spectre because I had a limited budget but if I ever have extra money I'll "upgrade" to Tim's.

The reason I didnt get the spectre is because I am not a fan of the y design. And I think that masive chrome pipe doesnt look right.

baller95
09-15-14, 04:39 PM
The reason I didnt get the spectre is because I am not a fan of the y design. And I think that masive chrome pipe doesnt look right.
I found the chrome Y appealing! :p

Rboughne1
09-17-14, 08:37 PM
Old thread but I thought this would be the best place to add to since it comes up in searches.

Changing out the plugs in my V and pulled the tubes/baffles out of the stock intake. I'm wondering if a better option would be to replace them with solid pipe of some kind? PVC pipe maybe if I can find a matching size. I pulled mine but was thinking it will disturb the air flow too much when I see what's left inside the hollow cavern inside there.

I need to keep a stock appearance on the vehicle since I have a lifetime powertrain warranty by the selling dealership that I'd like to keep. At 15-20K miles a year on the V, it won't be too long in the future before I'm turning over 200K miles (102k miles now).

Look up the moss-magnusson warranty act. See Wikipedia (I know, not the best resource, but it really is right in this case). They can't get you on that. I have a factory aftermarket warranty (vehicle one) from ally (used to be gmac) because I bought my car under 12k miles, and I've put an exhaust and intake on it, and next headers. Change the breathing! Now, when I lower pulley and install 60lb injectors with a tune, all bets are off. But simply letting more air in and out? DO IT!

Guy.Seminerio
09-17-14, 09:19 PM
I think they can attribute a lot of issues as resulting from more air in including major engine failures, although those have been non-existent.

wake
09-17-14, 09:20 PM
Look up the moss-magnusson warranty act. See Wikipedia (I know, not the best resource, but it really is right in this case). They can't get you on that. I have a factory aftermarket warranty (vehicle one) from ally (used to be gmac) because I bought my car under 12k miles, and I've put an exhaust and intake on it, and next headers. Change the breathing! Now, when I lower pulley and install 60lb injectors with a tune, all bets are off. But simply letting more air in and out? DO IT!

Not quite applicable to my situation. Mine is a warranty provided at no charge by the dealership where I purchased the vehicle. It states that as long as I don't modify the engine or transmission and have it serviced solely by them that they will guarantee the powertrain for as long as I own it, no mileage or age restrictions.

Rboughne1
09-18-14, 01:33 PM
Not quite applicable to my situation. Mine is a warranty provided at no charge by the dealership where I purchased the vehicle. It states that as long as I don't modify the engine or transmission and have it serviced solely by them that they will guarantee the powertrain for as long as I own it, no mileage or age restrictions.

Moss-Magnusson applies to ALL warranties. You aren't internally changing the engine or powertrain. Intakes and exhaust are not going to void it. They might give you grief, but in the end they'll end up covering. This law was pushed by SEMA years back because automakers were voiding warranties for something so simple as an exhaust. Federal law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson%E2%80%93Moss_Warranty_Act

Guy.Seminerio
09-18-14, 07:27 PM
I get that if you have an exhaust they can't deny you for a headlight bulb out. But if you're taking in more air (and therefore using more fuel) I want to say you're putting more stress on the engine. By no means am I an expert at this kind of stuff so I may very well be wrong. But I think I'm right.

Rboughne1
09-18-14, 08:37 PM
I get that if you have an exhaust they can't deny you for a headlight bulb out. But if you're taking in more air (and therefore using more fuel) I want to say you're putting more stress on the engine. By no means am I an expert at this kind of stuff so I may very well be wrong. But I think I'm right.

Seam started pushing this initially in the 70s bc automakers were denying warranties based upon an upgraded exhaust. Same thing as putting an aftermarket remote start in a car. Cannot void the warranty.

Nimoch
09-18-14, 10:03 PM
I've had stock intake, Spectre intake, and Tim's. Tim's intake is considerably louder and will drown out exhaust noise from a Borla system on WoT

Guy.Seminerio
09-18-14, 11:36 PM
Seam started pushing this initially in the 70s bc automakers were denying warranties based upon an upgraded exhaust. Same thing as putting an aftermarket remote start in a car. Cannot void the warranty.

Right but (again not claiming to be an expert) changing the exhaust shouldn't have an effect on the powertrain. It's post powertrain. You'd be hard pressed to attribute an exhaust to any kind of engine failure for example.

Dave G
09-19-14, 07:37 AM
If the part can directly be tied to the source of the failure, they can deny your claim. If you swap the exhaust and you blow your transmission, they can deny your claim. You're now making more horsepower and therefore putting undue stress on the transmission. If you have a tune and your engine goes...

Guy.Seminerio
09-19-14, 11:16 AM
Well I stand corrected on the exhaust example.

baller95
09-19-14, 08:48 PM
Any one have any videos with Tim's intake by the way?

jasonp12
09-19-14, 09:40 PM
Any one have any videos with Tim's intake by the way?

I have a video of it on the dyno. When I get back home next week, I can make a video for you.

baller95
09-19-14, 10:10 PM
I have a video of it on the dyno. When I get back home next week, I can make a video for you.Sounds good man!