: Truth in advertising, you bet!

orconn
06-02-13, 02:58 PM
It is not everyday that a company advertises what is the obvious truth about their product but Cadillac has done just the with one of their new ads for the XTS. In this ad a son says to his father, after looking around the interior, "Dad did you get a new car?" Granted the kid apparently walked from the house behind the dad's "new" XTS and thus did see its' distinguishing feature, the big chrome grill and out sized Cadillac wreath and crest. The kid can be forgiven his not recognizing his dad's new acquisition cause let's face it pretty much looks like every other four door sedan on the market for the last three or four years. The kid then goes on to spy the car's video screen in the center of the car's dash (gee, that is different) and an announcer voice overs the marvelous attributes of the cars accessory activation.

Well, you gotta give to the boys at Cadillac in this age of automotive hype about nothing, the Cadillac Division has come right out and said our new model is a boring look alike with nothing to set it apart from the competition. Way to go Cadillac you get the George Washington "Cherry Tree Award" for 2013!

Hoosier Daddy
06-02-13, 04:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YokHDC66FGY

77CDV
06-02-13, 05:49 PM
The kid in the commercial is typical of many people today: so utterly lost in their latest whizbang electronic thingamawhatchit, they'd be hard-pressed to notice the trump of doom, let alone a new car of any stripe.

ryannel2003
06-02-13, 05:50 PM
I have actually warmed up enough to the XTS now that I don't mind it so much. It's quite distinctive with the LED's going down the road and in black it actually looks, dare I say, good.

thebigjimsho
06-03-13, 07:42 AM
It is not everyday that a company advertises what is the obvious truth about their product but Cadillac has done just the with one of their new ads for the XTS. In this ad a son says to his father, after looking around the interior, "Dad did you get a new car?" Granted the kid apparently walked from the house behind the dad's "new" XTS and thus did see its' distinguishing feature, the big chrome grill and out sized Cadillac wreath and crest. The kid can be forgiven his not recognizing his dad's new acquisition cause let's face it pretty much looks like every other four door sedan on the market for the last three or four years. The kid then goes on to spy the car's video screen in the center of the car's dash (gee, that is different) and an announcer voice overs the marvelous attributes of the cars accessory activation.

Well, you gotta give to the boys at Cadillac in this age of automotive hype about nothing, the Cadillac Division has come right out and said our new model is a boring look alike with nothing to set it apart from the competition. Way to go Cadillac you get the George Washington "Cherry Tree Award" for 2013!

What? The kid was absolutely oblivious to anything but his player. It could've been a Ferrari. The commercial was to go directly to the advancement of the tech in the XTS.

The XTS looks fine. Relax...

M5eater
06-03-13, 08:16 AM
I saw it as a 15 year old burried into his phone recognizing the infotainment in the car (as he himself is into this sort of thing) rather than not noticing Dads new sheek sedan.

There's a reason studies have shown texting while driving is worse than Drunk driving. It's somewhat distracting when you're looking and listening to a 4x2" screen..

Oh but of course, I forgot we all have eyeballs on the back of our heads as well. You're assessment seems perfectly accurate...

thebigjimsho
06-03-13, 11:54 AM
Also, I believe in the commercial the only reason the kid noticed is because his phone had paired with the Bluetooth in the XTS, making his earphones go quiet. Then he asked about the new car...

Aron9000
06-04-13, 02:44 AM
That's a pretty horrible commercial for sure. My desktop in 2003 could sync my playlist, its pretty bad when you advertise 10 year old tech in a new car as its biggest highlight. For that matter if the 8 track in your old Cadillac still works, they make adapters that allow you to play mp3's through your 1970's vintage stereo.

cadillac kevin
06-04-13, 09:02 AM
Not sure whether I hate the XTS commercial or the VW "lucky man" more (seems kinda stupid to say how it keeps you safe from other drivers when the VW driver wasn't paying attention and caused the accident)

Hoosier Daddy
06-04-13, 09:28 AM
Not sure whether I hate the XTS commercial or the VW "lucky man" more (seems kinda stupid to say how it keeps you safe from other drivers when the VW driver wasn't paying attention and caused the accident)
I rarely see commercials because I almost never watch anything live. Even sporting events I almost never start watching until enough time has passed to allow all commercials to be skipped over. But I Googled that VW ad and have to say I definitely know which I hate the most. That VW ad was horrible. I have to assume ELP permitted that, so please excuse me while I check to see if I have any of their albumns to destroy.

I wonder if anyone told VW or their ad agency that the song title was ironic. Or maybe its their truth in advertising, i.e. owning a VW is as good as a hole in the head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlOhxJLDJ9M

thebigjimsho
06-04-13, 12:01 PM
That's a pretty horrible commercial for sure. My desktop in 2003 could sync my playlist, its pretty bad when you advertise 10 year old tech in a new car as its biggest highlight. For that matter if the 8 track in your old Cadillac still works, they make adapters that allow you to play mp3's through your 1970's vintage stereo.

I can take a dump in a toilet. How come my car doesn't have that yet?

Your analogy is flawed.

Hoosier Daddy
06-04-13, 12:21 PM
I can take a dump in a toilet. How come my car doesn't have that yet?
Actually it does. But the car becomes very unpleasant to drive afterwards.

----------

For that matter if the 8 track in your old Cadillac still works, they make adapters that allow you to play mp3's through your 1970's vintage stereo.
Do you happen to know where you can buy one? I find lots of DIY instructions but even those just add a phono jack to an 8-track. I would love to buy something that looks like an 8-track but has an SD or USB inside to contain the songs.

I have a '78 Trans Am WS6 that has an in-dash Pioneer 8-track/CB/AM/FM unit. My 8-track burner recently died so I can't even copy music to blank 8-tracks anymore.

cadillac kevin
06-04-13, 04:01 PM
I rarely see commercials because I almost never watch anything live. Even sporting events I almost never start watching until enough time has passed to allow all commercials to be skipped over. But I Googled that VW ad and have to say I definitely know which I hate the most. That VW ad was horrible. I have to assume ELP permitted that, so please excuse me while I check to see if I have any of their albumns to destroy.

I wonder if anyone told VW or their ad agency that the song title was ironic. Or maybe its their truth in advertising, i.e. owning a VW is as good as a hole in the head.

YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlOhxJLDJ9M (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlOhxJLDJ9M)

I noticed that too....although most people who see the commercial probably have no idea what that song is about