: Upgrading Sub and Amp (Pics)

ssmith100
01-25-05, 09:16 PM
Got the amp mounted and almost alll the way wired. Waiting on a couple of parts. Still have to build the new baffle for the Dynaudio MW 180 (10") sub. Hope to have it finished this weekend. Thought I would show you guys a couple of pics.

Shane

Art138
01-25-05, 10:15 PM
Shane what is stock wattage on the V; I just ordered a V should be in at end of next week. Wondering what you think of the stock system.

CTS Orlando
01-25-05, 10:31 PM
Nice clean install, thats some quality work I dont see from the guys in the non-V forum.

2 Questions:
What exactly are the white spacers between the amp and the decklid?
And where did you pull your power wire through the fire wall?

Side note, my sub is still non-bose factory, but I dynamatted the whole decklid and it did provide some noticeable increase in bass response.

I will get to installing my JL 250/1 when I find a satisfactory location to poke the power through the fire wall. Not thrilled with the 'Gromet next to the steering column' solution.

ssmith100
01-25-05, 11:26 PM
CTSORLANDO,

The boot at the steering column works great to run the wire. I searched the complete firewall and that was basically the only location. I've gone through many a sheet of Dynamat Extreme so far. The sides of the decklid are the softest parts. The spacers are kind of unique, I have bags of them. I can send you four if you need them which you will if you mount the amp in this location.Everything is going as planned. I will post a pic of the top of the decklid. Going to cut a 1/2 inch piece of MDF and bolt it back to the car with Dynamat on the front and back. Looking forward to the way it should improve the lowend.

Shane

D148L0
01-26-05, 12:14 AM
I have to say, good job. Nice cable choice, BTW.

CTSV05
01-26-05, 12:19 AM
Man, I'm glad its just not me.

I was kinda curious why the bass is so weak.

ctsvett
01-26-05, 12:26 AM
Shane,
Few questions:

1. How are you wiring in the amp turn on?
2. How are you wiring the input into the amp? SPK to Line level converter?
3. Is the Dynaudio a free air woofer?
4. How much deeper is the dynaudio woofer? One thing I like about the stock woofer is it is shallow. Maybe thats why the bass sucks.

If you want to write up a procedure, I will post on the FAQ. E-mail me.

Reed
http://www.cadillacfaq.com

ssmith100
01-26-05, 09:00 AM
Reed,

Answer to the following questions:

1. Turn on for the amp is coming from the + output of the factory subwoofer output to a Peripheral LVT2 low voltage trigger. It will take the 6 volt output of the signal wire and convert it to 12 volts to power on the amplifier. That way the amp will cut on and off with the factory system.

2. I'm using the single + and - at the factory sub for the input of the amplifier. The JL Audio amp I'm using has high level and RCA inputs. Using the high levels right now. If I don't get enough signal than I will wire into a pair of spliced RCA's. I don't think a line out converter will be necassary.

3.The Dynaudio MW180 is a 9 1/2" driver intended for woofer and subwoofer applications. I have the MW190 11" driver running free air in my Lexus and it sounds great. It (MW 190) won't fit in the V without cutting sheet metal.:helpless: The driver is applicable in a wide variety of boxes, closed as well as vented. The unusually large voice coil ensures not only high power handling, but also deep, tight, and detailed bass reproduction without any compression. Frequency response 35Hz - 1.4kHz; 89 dB sens. 180 watts continuous. I have an older Pioneer free air 10" sub that was about 1 inch to deep to get in the top shelf. You will need a very shallow driver because of the V's back window.

4. The MW 180 is about 3 1/2" deep. Mounted on the 1/2" MDF it won't extend very far past the original sub.

Everything is going very well. Even with the amp mounted were it is it only about 3 inches below the factory deck. Golf clubs still fit without any problems.:rolleyes: I should finish the weekend if my sub gets here. It was ordered Monday.

Shane

ssmith100
01-26-05, 09:33 PM
Got the knob for the bass boost mounted tonight. Easy to get to and hidden when needed.

Shane

lasstss
01-26-05, 10:15 PM
Shane, dont forget that the output to the factory sub is already a bass only signal!. Its not full response. I had to keep the boost really low as it was just too much for the driver. but... you may already know this, just an FYI. Nasty bass on a good CD.
It wont however help the XM, the bass just isnt there.

ssmith100
01-27-05, 12:25 PM
lasstss,

That's what I figured. I just wanted a little more control up front. Did some metering on the input wires last night. (Positive and negative at the old sub)
With the radio on it reads around 6 volts. With radio off reads around 4.3 volts. With key off it stays around 4.3 volts for about 10 seconds and then goes to 0 volts. I'm kind of curious as to how this is going to affect my turn on trigger.
If I turn the radio off with the car still running then my JL amp will still be on. Hope I don't pick up any clicks, pops or thumping. I never turn the radio off but I don't want the noises. My Peripheral trigger senses voltage from .8 volts to 8 volts for turn on. Have you had any problems with noises with your amp turning on with the signal input???

Thanks,
Shane

urbanski
01-27-05, 12:51 PM
i will pay your mileage and shack you up at my place, plus provide all the Shiners you need if you drive over and do this to mine.....that is, as long as you like the sound and it works :)
deal?

D148L0
01-27-05, 01:07 PM
Shane, dont forget that the output to the factory sub is already a bass only signal!. Its not full response. I had to keep the boost really low as it was just too much for the driver.
Full range or filtered signal, the boost only affects frecuencies below a certain point. Too much boost and you will "saturate" the driver in both cases.

ssmith100
01-27-05, 02:16 PM
Urby,

How about you come down here instead:cool: If all goes well, which I think it will, it should only be about a 1 day project. I only did this for a living for about fifteen years. Very anal retentive so I have really taken my time. With two people working on it it would be a breeze. When I cut the 1/2" MDF for the sub I'm going to cut another one in case you might need it. I feel like I know this car like the back of my hand now. We'll see how it turns out and if all is well I have no problem in helping you out bro.

Shane

urbanski
01-27-05, 02:18 PM
sounds good :)

lawfive
03-14-05, 11:35 PM
Urby,

How about you come down here instead:cool: If all goes well, which I think it will, it should only be about a 1 day project. I only did this for a living for about fifteen years. Very anal retentive so I have really taken my time. With two people working on it it would be a breeze. When I cut the 1/2" MDF for the sub I'm going to cut another one in case you might need it. I feel like I know this car like the back of my hand now. We'll see how it turns out and if all is well I have no problem in helping you out bro.

Shane

So how did this all turn out? Last weekend I put a 10" Kicker in the Bose hole in infinite baffle mode, hooked up to an MTX 251D (180W) I had laying around. Seriously punchy bass... not enough Dynomat in the world to help. Don't want to put a big enclosure in the trunk... Next thought is to mount MDF under the deck, then mount the driver under the MDF.

Need an expert to tell me if this idea sux or not...

wildwhl
03-15-05, 12:04 AM
lawfive -

A baffle made of MDF will help some, but the issue is likely that the entire rear deck is just too loose and has a lot of things to rattle around. The MDF baffle couldn't hurt, however, provided that the front and rear sides are sealed from each other (i.e. good tight fit against the rear deck).

Let us know how it turns out.

WW

ssmith100
03-15-05, 12:05 AM
The more support on the rear deck the better. I probably have a bulk pack just on the rear deck. It made a huge difference. MDF under the decklid would give more support but isn't really all that necassary. It just really depends on how much trunk space you want to lose.

Shane

SBONES
03-15-05, 08:27 AM
mine went through the rubber gromet. Just make sure the gromet is back in real tight or you will hear the motor. I wish i could post my pics for u guys. You can check it out on page 8, a friend posted them on page 2 of that page. Good luck.