: Dropped Trans

tinman
06-02-13, 09:50 AM
Took my car in two weeks ago to repair a hard shifting transmission. They took 10 days and found an internal leak. I picked it up on Thursday and have driven about 100 miles. Last night at 10:00 I left for the airport to get my wife (45 minute drive). As I drove out of the 'hood my tranny gave up the ghost. I coasted to a stop, said some choice words and had to leash up the dog and run the 3/4 mile home to find my wife's keys to her car (that was another p.i.t.a.). Now I have to install my tow ring that I built so the tow jockey doesn't screw up my car and deal with this whole mess all over.

Not happy. Thanks for the rant. :banghead:

----------

OK, how do I remove the little cover plate on the bumper? Not a word in the manual!

popacork
06-02-13, 10:41 AM
Pry the little door off with a small screwdriver. Nothing behind it on mine.

tinman
06-02-13, 12:00 PM
Thanks. Upon closer inspection I saw where the screwdriver is inserted.

30 minutes + on phone with Caddy Roadside Assistance and another 90 minutes (still) waiting for a tow truck.

jeffc83
06-02-13, 12:31 PM

30 minutes + on phone with Caddy Roadside Assistance and another 90 minutes (still) waiting for a tow truck.

Hope the next visit goes better for you. Best of luck!

Citabria
06-02-13, 01:04 PM

Good Luck Tinman

It's so disappointing when the techs fail to fix it right the first time. Cadillac says they will get it right but they fail to realize the inconvenience they put their customers through with multiple trips to the dealer. Like an idiot I now own two, an 09 premium sedan and a 10 performance wagon. Last month I was at the dealer 4 times and will have another visit when they decide to fix my exhaust. I'm getting that special as I did with my Oldsmobile!

tinman
06-02-13, 01:54 PM
I just put my wagon on a flatbed. I went to install my tow hook and I have no female receiver!!! I am quite unhappy with Cadillac right now. To add insult to injury I talked with Cadillac customer lip service. "Give us your phone # if we get disconnected" so they can call me. We did get disconnected and of course no call back. I will call them a third time. I pity the fool I talk with. I need a car and a ride to work tomorrow.

Citabria
06-02-13, 04:40 PM
I just put my wagon on a flatbed. I went to install my tow hook and I have no female receiver!!! I am quite unhappy with Cadillac right now. To add insult to injury I talked with Cadillac customer lip service. "Give us your phone # if we get disconnected" so they can call me. We did get disconnected and of course no call back. I will call them a third time. I pity the fool I talk with. I need a car and a ride to work tomorrow.

Unbelievable.......how does one not get totally upset.

----------

Good Luck Tinman

It's so disappointing when the techs fail to fix it right the first time. Cadillac says they will get it right but they fail to realize the inconvenience they put their customers through with multiple trips to the dealer. Like an idiot I now own two, an 09 premium sedan and a 10 performance wagon. Last month I was at the dealer 4 times and will have another visit when they decide to fix my exhaust. I'm getting that special as I did with my Oldsmobile!

Oops. Meant to say say that special FEEL in an Oldsmobile!

tinman
06-02-13, 05:17 PM
So I called Cadillac No Service and asked for a car and /or a ride to work tomorrow. Their response was to have someone pick me up, drive 45 minutes to a rental agency, fill out paperwork and then drive 45 minutes home.

No.

I asked them to deliver a car. No. I asked them to pick me up in the A.M. No. I asked them to arrange a cab. No. I asked if they would pay for my cab ride to the dealer. And the response was, "They would submit to the website for a possible reimbursement".

Superb Service from Cadillac Concierge Service. An absolute waste of over 90 elapsed minutes on the phone. I have received better service from AAA for a fraction of the cost numerous times.

I will have to rethink my position with Cadillac.

jeffc83
06-02-13, 06:15 PM
Now that's Cadillac's top notch service we've all come to expect! (end sarcasm)

dreiloft
06-02-13, 08:25 PM
If you dropped the tranny twice in a month, I would really think of getting rid of it before your warranty expires.

tinman
06-02-13, 08:30 PM
Interesting you mentioned that.

I do like this ride. I like a wagon. Now what? TSX wagon? Mercedes at $60k?

If I get a NEW tranny now then I will rethink. Not happy with the French transmission.

angelbones
06-02-13, 09:00 PM
Tinman, you've been a positive fixture on this forum since I joined over a year ago. We'd hate to lose you and your experience sounds dreadful. After that experience I would understand, but based on previous posts you seemed to like your CTS, and we'd hate to lose you, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. As a fellow Floridian, I hope I don't have to go through the same thing. When I first got my car, I ran the battery down (I was filling my HDD and left the power on way too long) and couldn't open the door. My first experience with the Cadillac roadside assistance was actually pretty good and they came out right away to my home and took care of the problem. Do what you think is right for you, especially since your warranty may be running out soon, but maybe this experience with the Concierge was an anomaly, and if not get the wagon you want. I would suggest the Volvo, but I just read an article about the company's viability, so the Merc may be the best alternative.

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-03-13, 08:16 AM
Took my car in two weeks ago to repair a hard shifting transmission. They took 10 days and found an internal leak. I picked it up on Thursday and have driven about 100 miles. Last night at 10:00 I left for the airport to get my wife (45 minute drive). As I drove out of the 'hood my tranny gave up the ghost. I coasted to a stop, said some choice words and had to leash up the dog and run the 3/4 mile home to find my wife's keys to her car (that was another p.i.t.a.). Now I have to install my tow ring that I built so the tow jockey doesn't screw up my car and deal with this whole mess all over.

Not happy. Thanks for the rant. :banghead:

----------

OK, how do I remove the little cover plate on the bumper? Not a word in the manual!

Hello tinman,

After reading this thread, I apologize for what you have experienced. I am sorry how you feel about Cadillac right now, I would be frustrated if I were in your position also. If you would like to discuss this further, please private message me. I would like to hear about your issues and experience and work towards a possible solution.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

tinman
06-03-13, 08:25 AM
Angelbones, thanks for your kind words. I will give Cadillac the opportunity to redeem themselves. They will have ample opportunity to do such. No Volvo, thanks. Love a Merc E63, though! All it takes is money.

I do enjoy my wagon. I have been seriously looking at rims, but I do believe that I will back off of that notion.

Sigh, to be continued.

----------

I will pm you later, Miss Laura. I am leaving to go to my dealer where they better have a Cadillac waiting for me.

MoFex
06-03-13, 04:48 PM
tinman,
i feel for you. it must be really frustrating......keep your spirit up, it is just a car....i just hope Cadillac does the right thing for you....

jeffc83
06-03-13, 05:32 PM
tinman,
i feel for you. it must be really frustrating......keep your spirit up, it is just a car....i just hope Cadillac does the right thing for you....

+1...you deserve to be treated the right way!

dreiloft
06-03-13, 07:58 PM
Tinman:

Curious on what happened today. Hope it worked out.

tinman
06-03-13, 08:30 PM
I really do appreciate everyone's good words. Many thanks to all of you good folks.

I got to the dealer courtesy of my wife who drove 30 minutes out of her way...and got up early to do so. The dealer was slammed so I had to wait for a while to get a CTS to drive. It is dirty inside...all they did was turn the dirty mats over. What does the next guy get? Petty - maybe. Still wrong, however. Anyway the service writer originally couldn't duplicate the tranny problem. I was amazed. Then he drove it up to me so I could get my insurance papers. Thank goodness for that because it acted up at that time.

So now I wait to hear what the situation is. I will post back later.

gohawks63
06-03-13, 09:51 PM
I really do appreciate everyone's good words. Many thanks to all of you good folks.

I got to the dealer courtesy of my wife who drove 30 minutes out of her way...and got up early to do so. The dealer was slammed so I had to wait for a while to get a CTS to drive. It is dirty inside...all they did was turn the dirty mats over. What does the next guy get? Petty - maybe. Still wrong, however. .

You know I thought I was the only one. I have only needed two loaners and both times the cars were dirty. Once it was really pretty gross.

Compare that with when I drove Acuras. The dealers always made sure I got a clean car. To the point that they would make sure it was washed even if it was raining/snowing outside.

We have only have had a need for a loaner for our BMW X5 once, but it was spotless. They didn't even require we bring it back with gas, but I did replace what I used as I felt it was the right thing to do.

Heck, even Toyota, when we had our Landcruiser, made sure the loaners were clean. They may have been a Prius or Yaris, but at least they were clean.

I do think Cadillac has a way to go with the dealer experience.

MoFex
06-03-13, 10:05 PM
You know I thought I was the only one. I have only needed two loaners and both times the cars were dirty. Once it was really pretty gross.

Compare that with when I drove Acuras. The dealers always made sure I got a clean car. To the point that they would make sure it was washed even if it was raining/snowing outside.

We have only have had a need for a loaner for our BMW X5 once, but it was spotless. They didn't even require we bring it back with gas, but I did replace what I used as I felt it was the right thing to do.

Heck, even Toyota, when we had our Landcruiser, made sure the loaners were clean. They may have been a Prius or Yaris, but at least they were clean.

I do think Cadillac has a way to go with the dealer experience.

I cannot complain about my dealer. The loaners were quite clean. What you guys are saying though Cadillac dealers have long way to go. GM needs to put some pressure on them and bring them to a reasonable standard.

tinman
06-03-13, 10:25 PM
Unfortunately not even close to the Standard of the World.

gohawks63
06-03-13, 10:39 PM
I cannot complain about my dealer. The loaners were quite clean. What you guys are saying though Cadillac dealers have long way to go. GM needs to put some pressure on them and bring them to a reasonable standard.

I agree.

jeffc83
06-03-13, 11:09 PM
At least you guys get Cadillacs and not a Nissan Versa! I'm truly disappointed in the loaner department although they are clean;)

The_Judge
06-04-13, 10:49 AM
Tinman, it seems to me that the majority of the blame lies with the dealer and its apparently incompetent mechanics, not with Cadillac itself. What you describe, from the outrageous and totally unacceptable 10 days in the shop to the dirty loaners, is 180 degrees from what I've experienced with my local dealer, Penske Caddy in Torrance, California. I suggest that you give Cadillac another chance -- unless, of course, that means dealing with these same jerks. If you do switch, I urge you to write a letter to GM and tell them exactly why you're moving on.

tinman
06-04-13, 11:14 AM
Tinman, it seems to me that the majority of the blame lies with the dealer and its apparently incompetent mechanics, not with Cadillac itself. What you describe, from the outrageous and totally unacceptable 10 days in the shop to the dirty loaners, is 180 degrees from what I've experienced with my local dealer, Penske Caddy in Torrance, California. I suggest that you give Cadillac another chance -- unless, of course, that means dealing with these same jerks. If you do switch, I urge you to write a letter to GM and tell them exactly why you're moving on.

I wrote Laura, the Caddy rep on this forum. I will give her every opportunity to help Cadillac redeem themselves. If not then I will determine my course of action at that time. I guess I will contact the Caddy salesman as well as the owner of the dealership. I will do that tomorrow morning. This will give Cadillac 48 hours to communicate something (anything) to me as I have not heard from anyone but Laura since I took my car in.

----------

Judge, who, exactly, is Cadillac? Is it only the manufacturer in Detroit? It is the shareholders and bond owners and the UAW? Or is it the entire organization, from Danial Akerson (Chairman of the Board) to the lot attendant who drove my loaner from the back lot to me?

I own my own company. I have taken phone calls where a customer is unhappy with a certain project of which I had nothing to do with directly. Nonetheless, it is my fault and responsibility as well as the tradesman who did a poor installation or fabrication of the item. It is a collective, and in the case we are talking about it is the dealer's fault. He is one with the Cadillac crest on his door and his business cards, and he is the "First Line of Defense" so-to-speak.

Shoot 'em all, let God sort 'em out.

C "T" ess
06-04-13, 11:29 AM
I understand your frustrations but to paint Cadillac and then GM with such a wide brush may be a bit harsh. I have my fourth CTS from the same dealership because of the way I am treated, the appearance of the facility and the entire purchase and service experience. I keep coming back because of that but for me to say all Cadillac dealers are like this is too broad a statement. I think the general manager sets the tone for the dealership standards and because any deficiency affects his bottom line, I think an in person sit down might benefit both of you. I hope you get your problem handled but if you decide to keep your car, you may have to deal with these folks again.

tinman
06-04-13, 11:37 AM
I am not a hell fire and brimstone type of guy (unless the situation truly warrants that and I am not insinuating this situation meets that behavior). I would write the salesman as he stands to lose a customer over this. I would write the President as he stands to lose a customer as well as get bad "PR" over this. I am 61 and have owned my own businesses basically forever, so what I am saying is I have a good feel as to what works for me in interpersonal/business relationships. I won't go to town and do a tap dance on this guy's face.

As to my broad strokes as to who Cadillac is, I was trying to give some thought as to what constitutes an organization. It is everyone from the lowest man on the totem pole to the top head honcho. Everyone represents the marque and you are always in the public's eye. Just one man's opinion, lord knows we all have an opinion.

So, how 'bout them Bruins!

gohawks63
06-04-13, 12:15 PM
I wrote Laura, the Caddy rep on this forum. I will give her every opportunity to help Cadillac redeem themselves. If not then I will determine my course of action at that time. I guess I will contact the Caddy salesman as well as the owner of the dealership. I will do that tomorrow morning. This will give Cadillac 48 hours to communicate something (anything) to me as I have not heard from anyone but Laura since I took my car in.

----------

Judge, who, exactly, is Cadillac? Is it only the manufacturer in Detroit? It is the shareholders and bond owners and the UAW? Or is it the entire organization, from Danial Akerson (Chairman of the Board) to the lot attendant who drove my loaner from the back lot to me?

I own my own company. I have taken phone calls where a customer is unhappy with a certain project of which I had nothing to do with directly. Nonetheless, it is my fault and responsibility as well as the tradesman who did a poor installation or fabrication of the item. It is a collective, and in the case we are talking about it is the dealer's fault. He is one with the Cadillac crest on his door and his business cards, and he is the "First Line of Defense" so-to-speak.

Shoot 'em all, let God sort 'em out.

I would call the General Manager. I had to do that with my first warranty visit. Here is the story.

About a year ago (May 2012) I noticed that my seatbelt light would occasionally flash even though I was buckled. I had the car only 3 months and it had just under 4K miles on her. I finally called to set up an appointment, but I was leery as I knew that unless it happened consistently, they would just tell me they couldn't recreate it. I was scheduled to take the car in the Tuesday after Memorial Day.

The Thursday before I am driving to work and now the seat belt light is flashing consistently. I called the dealer and asked if I could swing by and let them see it first hand even though my appointment wasn't until Tuesday. They said to come over.

I get to the dealer, pull into the service bay and never got out as I had the SM come over and I showed him the flashing light and showed him that I was buckled. He nodded and said, "Got it, see you Tuesday".

Tuesday morning comes along and as I'm driving to the dealer the light is again flashing consistently. I pull in and show the porter (when he asked me what I was in for) and again I flagged him over and showed him the flashing light and the fact I was buckled. He again acknowledged it. They took all my information and proceeded to give me the filthy CTS loaner.

So later in the day I get a phone call and the following conversation takes place:

SM: we didn't see the light flashing. We hooked up the car to the computer and it didn't give us any codes.

He then proceeded to insult my intelligence by saying....

SM: you know... That light WILL flash if you don't wear your seatbelt.

Me: (incredulous that he just said that). It's not going to give you any codes because it's not indicating a malfunction. It thinks I'm not wearing my seatbelt. There has to be something wrong with the buckle or the wiring in the seat.

SM: I'm not sure what to tell you, the tech couldn't pull any codes
Me: can I talk to the tech?
SM: no he left for the day
Me: don't you remember seeing it flash when I showed it to you TWICE?!
SM: No answer
Me: (losing it now) Listen, this is my first domestic car after nearly 20 years of owning Japanese cars, we are not off to a good start here
SM: well I want to make it right, what can we do?
Me: find the problem and fix it

So he asked me if they could keep it another day to which I certainly agreed.

The next morning I just wasn't having a good feeling about this so I called the dealership and spoke to the GM. He is a friend of a friend and he was who I originally spoke to when I started entertaining buying the car. He assured me they would get to the bottom of it, even if they had to start replacing parts.

Later that afternoon I get another call from the SM and it goes like this...

SM: we must have put nearly 30 miles driving the car and we hooked it up to the computer and we didn't get any codes. There is nothing wrong with the car. Come pick it up.
Me: Again, it's not going to throw any codes!!! It's not indicating a malfunction!!!! It thinks the seatbelt isn't buckled. Don't you remember seeing it flash the two times I showed you?!

This is where he sent me off the deep end.

SM: to tell you the truth, I wasn't really paying attention as to whether you were buckled in.

I lost it now. The following is in CAPS because I was shouting and for those who know me, it takes a lot for me to lose it.

ME: I AM GOING TO PICK UP THAT FU****G CAR AND WHEN I GET THE SURVEY FROM CADILLAC I AM GOING TO ABSOLUTELY FU****G RAVAGE YOU ON IT.
(Silence)
I hang up and now call the GM.

GM: Hi G.... I have a bunch of techs working on it, but we still haven't gotten to the bottom of it.
Me: well your SM just called me to tell me that there isn't anything wrong and to pick up the car.

I then proceeded to tell him how he told me that he insulted me the first time telling me that the light will flash if I am not buckled and the second time when he said he never looked to confirm that I was buckled after I made a special trip to show him and the second time when I dropped it off.

Dead silence for a while and then...

GM: please do not pick up your car. We're going to fix this.

5 minutes later the GM calls me back

GM: Hey G.. I have a tech here, can you please explain what is happening?
Me: (exasperated) sure
Tech: hi, what seems to be the problem
Me: (gritting my teeth now) the seatbelt warning light flashes even though I am buckled. Occasionally I have noticed if I shift in my seat it might stop
Tech: Oh that helps, I wish I would have know that from the start
Me: well I wanted to speak with you, but the SM wouldn't let that happen.

They asked if they could keep the car overnight again.

The following day I get a call. Car is fixed. The culprit was a bad seatbelt buckle.

It would not have gotten resolved if I had not gotten the general manager involved.

----------

So, how 'bout them Bruins!

Go Blackhawks!!

tinman
06-04-13, 12:33 PM
Interesting story.

As for the 'Hawks, I want an Original 6 Final! I was upset they beat my Wings, but obviously they had to cheat to do it! :bouncy:

gohawks63
06-04-13, 12:43 PM
Interesting story.

As for the 'Hawks, I want an Original 6 Final! I was upset they beat my Wings, but obviously they had to cheat to do it! :bouncy:

Cheat how?! The 'Hawks won game 7 twice. The first in regulation and the second in OT.

:)

MoFex
06-04-13, 01:17 PM
gohawks63,

very interesting story. unfortunately this is the "state of the nation" now. people luck of troubleshooting skills....and of course because you as a customer are disconected from the tech they do mostly guess work....very sad....what is even more sad is the fact that most of the dealerships do not care.....

tinman
06-04-13, 01:35 PM
Okay, so I found an E63 Mercedes wagon with 60,000 miles and is affordable...

caddad08
06-04-13, 01:54 PM
tinman- wow sorry to read about your problem! While we would rather have you here than in a Merc I personally would say that you need to do what you feel is the best course of action for you.

tinman
06-04-13, 02:13 PM
Just exploring all of my alternatives. If I get a rebuilt transmission, which is what I expect these folks to give me, and it is rebuilt by the same skilled craftsman who rebuilt it the first time, then I will dump the car. I can't live with the prospect of it taking a dump in the middle of Bufu in sunny hot Florida with the wife and dog.

Before I bought my CTS I had looked at the E63. It was too expensive as a used car, so I would have bought a new Vagon (6mt, recaros, no sunroof, thankyouverymuch). However, the Vagon was north of $65 - $70k. I also really wanted a true sports car, so I decided to buy a regular CTS wagon as a DD and get a Porsche Cayman R. Well, then I decided to spend $250k on a new machine for work, so I decided to keep my cash reserves "in case" I ran into lean times with the business. So here I am today. I have made initial contact with the MB dealer to see how the numbers look (initially). Just kicking tires right now, but I have to be prepared.

jeffc83
06-04-13, 03:00 PM
Just exploring all of my alternatives. If I get a rebuilt transmission, which is what I expect these folks to give me, and it is rebuilt by the same skilled craftsman who rebuilt it the first time, then I will dump the car. I can't live with the prospect of it taking a dump in the middle of Bufu in sunny hot Florida with the wife and dog.

Before I bought my CTS I had looked at the E63. It was too expensive as a used car, so I would have bought a new Vagon (6mt, recaros, no sunroof, thankyouverymuch). However, the Vagon was north of $65 - $70k. I also really wanted a true sports car, so I decided to buy a regular CTS wagon as a DD and get a Porsche Cayman R. Well, then I decided to spend $250k on a new machine for work, so I decided to keep my cash reserves "in case" I ran into lean times with the business. So here I am today. I have made initial contact with the MB dealer to see how the numbers look (initially). Just kicking tires right now, but I have to be prepared.

That you do...hope you end up sticking around if you do decide to switch manufacturers!!!

I'm just hoping they don't screw this up for you!

tinman
06-04-13, 03:07 PM
I'm with you, Jeff. They should make it easy for me to stick around.

gohawks63
06-04-13, 03:09 PM
gohawks63,

very interesting story. unfortunately this is the "state of the nation" now. people luck of troubleshooting skills....and of course because you as a customer are disconected from the tech they do mostly guess work....very sad....what is even more sad is the fact that most of the dealerships do not care.....

I grew up working in my uncle's auto repair shop so I get that they can't just replace parts. That's why I was trying to help them with troubleshooting. It was obvious that the SM was clueless and wasn't communicating what was going on as they (he) kept referencing diagnostic codes.

It was frustrating for me and I understand the challenges of troubleshooting sporadic issues. That's why I was trying to help. You can imagine how frustrating (for the customer) it is when you get someone who is less technically inclined.

OMG
06-04-13, 06:26 PM
Sounds like you a dealership issue for sure. My CTS had it's trans replaced at 35k mi with a new one (not rebuilt) in 2010. Don't see why they couldn't give you a new one. My experience with my caddy dealership has been pretty effin' awesome.

MoFex
06-05-13, 12:15 PM

What does "affordable" mean? ;)

The_Judge
06-05-13, 12:18 PM
I grew up working in my uncle's auto repair shop so I get that they can't just replace parts. That's why I was trying to help them with troubleshooting. It was obvious that the SM was clueless and wasn't communicating what was going on as they (he) kept referencing diagnostic codes....

Most problems in this world are caused by morons. I wonder if there's a moron-detector app?

----------

Good luck with that. I had a 2004 E55 for two years -- fun car to drive but expensive to maintain.

tinman
What does "affordable" mean? ;)
About $35k. Alas, too late, it's sold.

jeffc83
Most problems in this world are caused by morons. I wonder if there's a moron-detector app?

Now THERE is a million dollar idea!

tinman
06-05-13, 12:20 PM
Judge, what kind of issues did you have with your E55?

----------

Now THERE is a million dollar idea!

Yeah, but what happens when it's used by morons to detect morons?

The_Judge
06-05-13, 12:28 PM

----------

Don't recall the details, but it was in the shop every few months for something. It ate tires -- very expensive tires -- for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Had problems with alignment, including the rear wheels.

jeffc83
06-05-13, 12:31 PM

----------

I guess it would have to be password protected...then again....lol.

MoFex
06-05-13, 12:36 PM
Seems they are depreciating very quickly....as any luxury car......

jeffc83
06-05-13, 03:08 PM
Seems they are depreciating very quickly....as any luxury car......

Mercs are expensive to repair too...my buddy just spent 450 on a headlight bezel minus labor.

C "T" ess
06-05-13, 05:39 PM
"Most problems in this world are caused by morons. I wonder if there's a moron-detector app?"

Where would you plug it in:) and what code would you get.:bigroll:

tinman
06-06-13, 01:01 PM
Hello Paul,

I was able to make contact with the dealership today. I spoke with Bill. He informed me of James who is your technician, and is going to take great care of your vehicle. Bill updated me on the status of your vehicle. The transmission is going to be replaced: new pistons, clutch, clutch housing. Bill told me the parts to replace have all been ordered and should be in within a couple of days. He said James will contact you once the parts are in at the dealership, and will also contact you once the vehicle is all fixed.I hope this helps!

Sincerely,

Laura M.

I responded:
So they are rebuilding the transmission, not putting in a new one.

Thanks for asking them the status. They can't be bothered to communicate, it takes an outsider. Sigh, not a wonderful Cadillac experience.

I do thank you for your time.

Then I immediately followed up with:
This guy who is rebuilding the transmission, he failed on his first attempt. Why would I have any confidence in this vehicle now? I don't, unfortunately.

Laura, this is a rebuild, not a new transmission. I am quite disappointed. I feel violated. If this had been done in the first place then Cadillac wouldn't have my vehicle today and be paying for it again. This is not the way to go, and I am sure all on the Cadillac Forum will not be pleased, either.

End of emails.

Now I am at a crossroads, and my initial thoughts are that I need to dump this vehicle while it still drives. Do I want to drive to it to the end of the earth? Will it get me there? Major disappointment...sigh.

dreiloft
06-06-13, 01:15 PM
Now I am at a crossroads, and my initial thoughts are that I need to dump this vehicle while it still drives. Do I want to drive to it to the end of the earth? Will it get me there? Major disappointment...sigh.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you, you are lucky you're still under warranty. You will also get more money in a trade if the vehicle is still under warranty. Or it could be the only problem that you will ever have, who knows. Not a good situation to be in.

tinman
06-06-13, 01:20 PM
Yeah, I know this could be the only problem I ever have. However, the issue I have in my mind is "Do I feel lucky?" I just don't want to be somewhere between "here and there" with my wife and/or grandkids or 92 year old parents and have it let go again. That could escalate into a life and death situation. Dramatic? Probably. A possibility, however, and a car with 50,000 miles should not instill this lack of confidence.

dreiloft
06-06-13, 01:34 PM
It's too bad you don't have more dealer options. Down here we have five dealers with in a thirty mile radius.

tinman
06-06-13, 01:40 PM
I have two others. The one I use I drive by on the way to work. The other two are a minimum 30 minute drive. I guess I will get familiar with them, unless I dump the car. Then I wont be familiar with any of them.

gohawks63
06-06-13, 03:56 PM
Hello Paul,

I was able to make contact with the dealership today. I spoke with Bill. He informed me of James who is your technician, and is going to take great care of your vehicle. Bill updated me on the status of your vehicle. The transmission is going to be replaced: new pistons, clutch, clutch housing. Bill told me the parts to replace have all been ordered and should be in within a couple of days. He said James will contact you once the parts are in at the dealership, and will also contact you once the vehicle is all fixed.I hope this helps!

Sincerely,

Laura M.

I responded:
So they are rebuilding the transmission, not putting in a new one.

Thanks for asking them the status. They can't be bothered to communicate, it takes an outsider. Sigh, not a wonderful Cadillac experience.

I do thank you for your time.

Then I immediately followed up with:
This guy who is rebuilding the transmission, he failed on his first attempt. Why would I have any confidence in this vehicle now? I don't, unfortunately.

Laura, this is a rebuild, not a new transmission. I am quite disappointed. I feel violated. If this had been done in the first place then Cadillac wouldn't have my vehicle today and be paying for it again. This is not the way to go, and I am sure all on the Cadillac Forum will not be pleased, either.

End of emails.

Now I am at a crossroads, and my initial thoughts are that I need to dump this vehicle while it still drives. Do I want to drive to it to the end of the earth? Will it get me there? Major disappointment...sigh.

I don't know, I am going to take a different approach here. Assuming the guy who is doing the rebuild knows what he's doing, rebuilding the transmission can be just as good as a new one.

Think about when you buy a refurbished piece of electronics. Most of the time they replace anything that is subject to wear and tear. Screens, keyboard, moving parts, etc. oftentimes the only thing that is left from the original is the outer shell/case.

When I was younger working in my uncle's auto repair business, the same applied with respect to rebuilding an engine or transmission. Things like valves, seals and other items subject to wear were replaced. The key as I said before is the guy doing the rebuild.

If they are rebuilding the trans with all new parts I would (personally) would be OK with that, provided that it is backed by a warranty.

tinman
06-06-13, 04:09 PM
Provided there is a warranty.

I do not know if my warranty is extended at all on this POS tranny or not.

Absolutely the wrong analogy to use with me, the refurbished electronics. After three different occasions with refurbished electronics I will never purchase refurbished electronics again in my lifetime.

gohawks63
06-06-13, 05:04 PM
Provided there is a warranty.

I do not know if my warranty is extended at all on this POS tranny or not.

Absolutely the wrong analogy to use with me, the refurbished electronics. After three different occasions with refurbished electronics I will never purchase refurbished electronics again in my lifetime.

I guess it depends on what they replace. I believe when Apple gives you a "refurbished" IPhone, it is essentially a new phone. All of the guts are replaced.

The warranty should be the balance of your factory warranty or one year, whichever comes first.

Now if there is a known design defect/flaw that is a different story.

Back in 2000, Honda/Acura came out with their 1st 5 speed transmission and within a couple of years the transmissions started self destructing. In some cases the self destruction was dangerous as the cars would drastically decelerate while driving at highway speeds almost like you were slamming on the brakes. If you do a Consumer Reports reliability search on any Honda/Acura from that era that had a 5 speed transmission, you will see that it has a black dot because of the transmission problems.

I had a 2001 Acura TL. I never had it fail, but once I noticed a weird shift and when I mentioned it to the SM he immediately told me to bring it in and they replaced the trans with a rebuild. The dealer was told to not open the transmission up and send it directly to the manufacturer as they wanted to dismantle them at the factory. Honda had a hard time figuring out the problem and they issued a couple of recalls to try and fix the problem and even after the rebuild I had to take mine in a couple of times (Again even though I never experienced a failure). In the end they narrowed it down to a design flaw where the third gear clutch pack wasn't getting enough lubrication and would self destruct. Honda/Acura ended up extending warranties for all cars with the 5 speed transmissions for 7 years/120K miles manufactured between 2000 and I believe 2003, whether or not you ever had a transmission failure.

I also had a similar, though not as drastic issue in our previous 2004 Toyota Landcruiser. While it was still under the B2B warranty the rear view camera went on the fritz. Again, all replaced under warranty, but I got a notice in the mail later that Toyota was extending the warranty coverage on the RV camera to 5 years/100K miles as there was apparently an issue with the rear view cameras used that year.

Now your case seems to be a one off failure that happens on occasion (it still sucks when it happens to you) so I don't see GM offering some extended warranty campaign.

As a doctor once told me, statistics really mean nothing when you end up being the statistic.

The_Judge
06-06-13, 05:10 PM
I agree with gohawks63 (about the car, not the Hawks). Virtually all warranties, whether for cars or just about anything else mechanical or electrical, provide that during the warranty period, the manufacturer will repair or replace defective items, at their discretion. It would be unreasonable to expect a new transmission if the existing one can be repaired by the replacement of one or more defective parts.

Here's what the warranty covers (from the 2013 Cadillac Warranty and Owner Assistance Information Booklet):

"Repairs Covered

The warranty covers repairs to
correct any vehicle defect, not slight
noise, vibrations, or other normal
characteristics of the vehicle related
to materials or workmanship
occurring during the warranty
period. Needed repairs will be
performed using new,
remanufactured, or refurbished
parts."

I doubt that any automotive manufacturer promises to do more.

gohawks63
06-06-13, 05:37 PM
I agree with gohawks63 (about the car, not the Hawks).

Aw come on, there's room on the bandwagon!

99flhr
06-06-13, 06:06 PM
" I just don't want to be somewhere between "here and there" with my wife and/or grandkids or 92 year old parents and have it let go again. That could escalate into a life and death situation. Dramatic? Probably. A possibility, however, and a car with 50,000 miles should not instill this lack of confidence.

Not to minimize your issues, but I would point out that any vehicle of any age/mileage could fail and leave you stranded, even a shredded tire in a car with only an inflator kit leaves you dead in the water.
Prior to the cell phone age this could an issue, considerably less so today.
Hope this is resolved to your satisfaction

RAB
06-06-13, 07:10 PM
Tinman, I'm sorry to hear about your transmission troubles. I'm also sorry to hear about Cadillac Customer Service leavin so much to be desired. Extraordinarily unacceptable.
You can tell a lot about a company by the way they handle issues such as this. In this case Cadillac certainly earns a "Fail".
I don't blame you for now looking to a completely other brand of vehicle for your next car. After all these years Cadillac still doesn't understand how to deal with customer issues, and some of the ways (often simple ways) to retain customers. These days, more than ever, customer service is everything. Most of Cadillac's direct competition understand this point very well.

jeffc83
06-06-13, 07:57 PM
Although I don't miss my Lexus, I do miss their fantastic service. I'd make an appointment, they'd show up with a brand new RX and take mine away to the dealer. I would then get the phone call from them stating "all went well" every time...I never had a bad experience with them BUT, their cars/SUVs were very boring to own overall.

The_Judge
06-06-13, 07:58 PM
Tinman, I'm sorry to hear about your transmission troubles. I'm also sorry to hear about Cadillac Customer Service leaving SO MUCH to be desired. Extraordinarily unacceptable.
You can tell a lot about a company by the way they handle issues such as this. In this case Cadillac certainly earns a "Fail".
I don't blame you for now looking to a completely other brand of vehicle for your next car. After all these years Cadillac still doesn't understand how to deal with customer issues, and some of the ways (often simple ways) to retain customers. These days, more than ever, customer service is everything. Much of Cadillac's direct competition understand this point very well.
You guys continue to mix apples and oranges. "Cadillac" as a corporation is NOT, repeat N O T, your independent dealer. It doesn't own the dealerships, it doesn't run them, it doesn't tell them who to hire or what to pay them, it doesn't dictate how or what repairs should be made. Those decisions are all left to the independent, private corporations that own the dealership franchise, and the quality of service varies radically from place to place. Granted, Cadillac/GM can intervene and try to force an individual dealer to do the right thing, but it's simply irrational to blame the entire company for the failings of those who sell and service the cars it makes. If you don't like your dealer or their service personnel, go elsewhere, but don't blame the manufacturer or denigrate its products for the failings of the morons with whom you choose to do business.

I assure you, there are top-notch Cadillac dealers out there that are every bit as good -- and better -- than the Mercedes, Infiniti, Acura, Toyota, and Volkswagen dealers I've dealt with over the last 45 years. Indeed, there's one Mercedes dealership nearby that I will never ever set foot in again.

gohawks63
06-06-13, 08:45 PM
You guys continue to mix apples and oranges. "Cadillac" as a corporation is NOT, repeat N O T, your independent dealer. It doesn't own the dealerships, it doesn't run them, it doesn't tell them who to hire or what to pay them, it doesn't dictate how or what repairs should be made. Those decisions are all left to the independent, private corporations that own the dealership franchise, and the quality of service varies radically from place to place. Granted, Cadillac/GM can intervene and try to force an individual dealer to do the right thing, but it's simply irrational to blame the entire company for the failings of those who sell and service the cars it makes. If you don't like your dealer or their service personnel, go elsewhere, but don't blame the manufacturer or denigrate its products for the failings of the morons with whom you choose to do business.

I assure you, there are top-notch Cadillac dealers out there that are every bit as good -- and better -- than the Mercedes, Infiniti, Acura, Toyota, and Volkswagen dealers I've dealt with over the last 45 years. Indeed, there's one Mercedes dealership nearby that I will never ever set foot in again.

As I posted in another thread, every dealer I have ever dealt with takes those follow up surveys seriously. When contacted be brutally honest. I will say that my Acura dealers bent over backwards to satisfy me, but I also dealt with a couple over 20 years that were less than stellar.

dreiloft
06-06-13, 09:09 PM

Agree. I have never had a problem. My dealer hand washes my car when it is in for an oil change.

jeffc83
06-06-13, 10:45 PM
Agree. I have never had a problem. My dealer hand washes my car when it is in for an oil change.

Hand wash eh? I get the car wash down the street. (at least it gets hand dried) I'm happy with a car wash at that...

tinman
06-07-13, 08:51 AM
Going from dropped transmissions to hand jobs? I haven't even gotten a hand job from my dealer! :bomb:

The_Judge
06-07-13, 10:56 AM

Same here -- every time the car is in the shop for any reason, the dealer's crew washes it and dries it before returning it to me. As for loaners, I always get a current model Cadillac to drive, although not always a CTS, and they're always washed and clean inside.

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-07-13, 11:48 AM
Same here -- every time the car is in the shop for any reason, the dealer's crew washes it and dries it before returning it to me. As for loaners, I always get a current model Cadillac to drive, although not always a CTS, and they're always washed and clean inside.

Hello dreiloft and The_Judge, I am glad to here about the positivity of your dealership. That is awesome their team hand washes your vehicle when it is in for a service. Great customer care right there :)

Laura M.

jeffc83
06-07-13, 12:24 PM
Yeah but not for all, which reflects on the individual dealerships....

tinman
06-07-13, 01:16 PM
Update:

Service Tech just told me the seal which is by the Direct Clutch Piston has been cut again. This is the second time it has happened. They will replace the seal (again), the Direct Clutch Piston itself, the Drum and the Spacers. My Service Tech could not answer any questions about what these parts do and/or why they failed.

Does anyone here know about our trans and the whys and wherefores? Is this from revving it out in manumatic? I did not rev her hard after I received my car back after the first rebuild, so I am at a loss as to the cause. Who can shed light on this topic? Crappy parts (my belief)? Crappy craftsmanship (a possibility that cannot be ruled out at this time)?

amunderdog
06-07-13, 01:35 PM
Going from dropped transmissions to hand jobs? I haven't even gotten a hand job from my dealer! :bomb:
Did you at least get a reach around?

tinman
06-07-13, 02:12 PM
Oh, yeah, they turned me right over.

Richard MacGregor
06-07-13, 03:10 PM
Tinman,

I'd never heard of one of transmissions fail until now. This unit was used in the last gen 3 series BMW too I've been told.

My car is the identical twin brother of your car. (a Diamond white Y43, right?) I'm hoping that the transmission fairs better than yours did. Was it due to 3000 passes down the dragstrip that cut its life short? Did you use it to pull a space shuttle through the city?

My problem that I'm going to try to have repaired forever, is the positraction clutchpack shudder. When cold, when backing out of the garage and doing a sharp turn, it bangs and pops. If I drive the car in to the dealer warmed up, they cannot duplicate it. I told them this time I'd let it sit overnight so that they could have a chance to experience what I feel. They will want to change the oil, that lasts maybe 3 months before the malody returns. Where I was going with this highjack is to ask if your rear axle has been silent?

My ace in the hole, that the service department is unaware of, is relationship. My buddy's wife is the cousin of the owner's wife and my connection to the dealer. I've never played this card before but it is there.

Hope that your car is whole oncemore!

Richard

rspreng
06-07-13, 03:53 PM
Update:

Service Tech just told me the seal which is by the Direct Clutch Piston has been cut again. This is the second time it has happened. They will replace the seal (again), the Direct Clutch Piston itself, the Drum and the Spacers. My Service Tech could not answer any questions about what these parts do and/or why they failed.

Does anyone here know about our trans and the whys and wherefores? Is this from revving it out in manumatic? I did not rev her hard after I received my car back after the first rebuild, so I am at a loss as to the cause. Who can shed light on this topic? Crappy parts (my belief)? Crappy craftsmanship (a possibility that cannot be ruled out at this time)?

No telling what would cause it w/o pics. Could be a small burr on the shaft/piston, could have been knicked during install, or a defective seal to begin with. It sucks it is the same part and who knows if what you have been told is really the issue.

tinman
06-07-13, 04:10 PM
Thanks, Richard.

I haven't heard anything from my rear diff. I just read a TSB on that two days ago, and I copied it and put the paper in my file. If you need it it is #10-04-21-001B: Rear Axle Clunk and/or Chatter Type Noise on Turns (Drain/Refill Rear Differential Fluid)-(Apr 21, 2010). Subject: Rear Axle Clunk and/or Chatter Type Noise on Turns (Drain/Refill Rear Differential Fluid)

By the way, I have the entire thing printed out.

And, no, I haven't ragged my machine. I have some fun with it, but I haven't had any real fun with it yet. My drives are usually during rush hour, and the only jollies I get are entrance ramps and merging.

----------

rspreng, I agree. They had to order parts, and those are the one they ordered. Was the seal incorrectly installed? Was it defective? Were there other defective parts, the ones they ordered? Did they just reinstall the original seal? Was it a moron installing it ( Hey Judge! Where is that Moron Detector App?).

C "T" ess
06-08-13, 10:34 AM
It stinks that the first repair resulted in the second failure. Hopefully they will get it fixed right this time or as you said the fear of reliability issues would keep me from driving outside a reasonable distance from a nearby dealership. I sure hope they get it right this time or I would demand a replacement transmission. I hope it doesn't come to that. Good Luck.

tinman
06-10-13, 04:02 PM
Update:

I just received a telephone call from Lauren from Cadillac. Cadillac what I don't know as she did not take the time to explain other than, "It has been escalated to me".
"I understand you want a new transmission instead of a repaired one"
"Honestly", she went on to explain, "usually if we can repair a transmission we will do that".

I tried to tell her that the dealer has had my car a week and...

"I can only take the case from here forward," she interrupted. "I will call you Wednesday".

So I said, "Madam, you do what you have to do. Thank you"

I can see this is nothing but lip service. I will guarantee everyone here that nothing, absolutely nothing, will happen. The dealer will have my transmission buttoned up by Wednesday.

If I am wrong it is beer for everyone (but you have to claim it in person). :alchi:

At least Laura with customer service did move this in the Cadillac hierarchy.

gohawks63
06-10-13, 05:52 PM
Update:

"I can only take the case from here forward," she interrupted. "I will call you Wednesday".

You know, I understand that in customer service you deal with a lot of angry people and sometimes it's hard to keep a friendly face, but in the end, you are working in customer service... So you either deal with it or get another job.

To me she had an opportunity where her reactions and response could make a positive out of a negative situation or continue to foster negativity.

The fact that she interrupted you and basically ignored your history and bluntly stated that she can only take it forward meant to me that she did the latter (fostered negativity).

She could have been empathetic and tried to get more facts from you. She could have tried to explain (whether you chose to believe it or not) that they would stand behind the repairs and ensure that the rebuilt transmission would be as good as a new one. In the end though she came across as customer friendly and focused as a clerk at the department of motor vehicles. Unfortunate for any car brand much less Cadillac.

It's bad enough that you had a major failure the first time, but in the end things happen. I have had that happen with other cars (even with Toyotas and Acuras), but the fact that it failed again within a week... They should be falling over themselves to make this right or at least make you feel good about it.

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-11-13, 08:21 AM
Update:

I just received a telephone call from Lauren from Cadillac. Cadillac what I don't know as she did not take the time to explain other than, "It has been escalated to me".
"I understand you want a new transmission instead of a repaired one"
"Honestly", she went on to explain, "usually if we can repair a transmission we will do that".

So I said, "Madam, you do what you have to do. Thank you"

I can see this is nothing but lip service. I will guarantee everyone here that nothing, absolutely nothing, will happen. The dealer will have my transmission buttoned up by Wednesday.

If I am wrong it is beer for everyone (but you have to claim it in person). :alchi:

At least Laura with customer service did move this in the Cadillac hierarchy.

Hello tinman,

Thanks for the update. I looked at your case number again and see that Lauren is contacting the dealership today. She is researching your case on your behalf, which takes time to gather additional information.

Sincerely,

Laura M.

C "T" ess
06-11-13, 11:08 AM
Don't hold your breath.
Come to Tampa and I'll buy you a beer, but we will have to plan the trip so that you are never more than 25 minutes from the closest Cadillac dealer.

tinman
06-11-13, 11:12 AM
Instead of a cab we can ride in a tow truck. :(

jbdrags
06-12-13, 12:36 PM
Hello dreiloft and The_Judge, I am glad to here about the positivity of your dealership. That is awesome their team hand washes your vehicle when it is in for a service. Great customer care right there :)

Laura M.

My dealer promised the same thing but fails to deliver on numerous occasions. They'll say anything to sell you a car.

tinman
06-12-13, 12:44 PM
My dealer promised the same thing but fails to deliver on numerous occasions. They'll say anything to sell you a car.

I sold cars...once...for a short time as I couldn't play their game. One thing I learned at the stealership: "When their lips are moving, they're lying".

The_Judge
06-12-13, 01:06 PM
This thread got me thinking -- I've purchased 14 new cars from dealerships over the last 44 years: Volkswagen, BMW, Dodge, Toyota (3 cars), Acura, Infiniti (2), Mercedes (3), and Cadillac (2). I'm demanding but realistic, and I try to treat others as I expect them to threat me. I can't think of a single problem that I've had with any of the dealers, all of which treated me with respect, give me good deals on the cars I wanted, and serviced/fixed my cars properly the first time. True, there were a few persistent problems, especially with the Dodge (numerous recalls), but nothing that I believed was deliberate or due to negligence or incompetence. I have to wonder if it's a regional thing (the industry is very competitive in California), or if it has more to do with the way I interact with the sales and service personnel.

tinman
06-12-13, 01:34 PM
It could be a little of both. I usually get along with people as well. My Service Writer, well, some people ou just don't "click" with and he's one of them. It started out when he tried to sell me on the 50,000 mile service package. Included was a valve cleaning service which consisted of a bottle of Techron. I asked him, "Our cars have DI. This will not clean the valves." He didn't like that. His answer: "Cadillac has us say that". I told him that was incorrect and (basically a lie - I can't remember my exact phrasing). So we didn't hit it off as I called his bluff.

Now I get short answers if I get any answers. I get no communication from him and I now don't like him. So, it is hard for me to be nicey-nicey to someone who A) lies and B) doesn't really do his job when they have had my car for a month and me, the mushroom growing in the dark, is getting larger and larger.

gohawks63
06-12-13, 03:07 PM
It could be a little of both. I usually get along with people as well. My Service Writer, well, some people ou just don't "click" with and he's one of them. It started out when he tried to sell me on the 50,000 mile service package. Included was a valve cleaning service which consisted of a bottle of Techron. I asked him, "Our cars have DI. This will not clean the valves." He didn't like that. His answer: "Cadillac has us say that". I told him that was incorrect and (basically a lie - I can't remember my exact phrasing). So we didn't hit it off as I called his bluff.

How could Cadillac "make him say that" (rhetorical question)? That money is going right into the dealerships pocket... Not Cadillac. If Cadillac felt that it was needed then I would think it would be a recommended service like changing the oil.

I used to get that with the Acura dealers. With my last car (RL) the service minder would provide a code that corresponded to required service given the the miles and the type of driving that occurred. For example A1 = Oil and filter change, B1 = Oil, filter & differential fluid change, etc. along with various inspections that the dealer did anyway when you took the car in.

Initially the dealers would say, "oh, you need B1 service, that includes a number of inspections, oil change, ......." Or they would say, "do you want the 30K mile service?" Which was inflated with non essential stuff.

I would go in there and just ask for only what the manual stated for the given code (I.e. oil change, tire rotation). I still got the inspections since they did that anyway, and the service was much cheaper since I only got what the manual called for. Eventually the SM figured it out and gave up trying to up sell me.

tinman
06-17-13, 07:19 AM
Update:

Got my car back on Friday. Initially it seems to drive just fine. When I step on the gas she takes right off. don't know if that is because it now selects the proper gear or what. I haven't driven it much and will shake it down this week. Still have concerns over how long it will last. The service tech told me they gave it a good test drive. Yes they did - for 134 miles!

They also discovered a noise in the right rear and they replaced the right rear spindle and gave it a 4 wheel alignment, which was nice. I still am miffed at the 134 mile test drive. That's why I had a full tank of gas.

99flhr
06-17-13, 10:58 AM
I still am miffed at the 134 mile test drive.

I`m sure that the service dept knows that you`re unhappy with this ordeal, and given that the first repair failed in 100 miles, it would seem a reasonable precaution. JMO

C "T" ess
06-17-13, 11:13 AM
If the 134 miles prevents you from having another failure, then let them have it. You probably saved that by not having the car. I know it's the little and in this case the big things that get under your skin, but like I said, if this insures it's fixed then let it slide.

MaxBuck
06-17-13, 11:56 AM
Add me to those who think taking an extended test drive was a very reasonable idea, and they did fill your tank ... but they should have given you a heads-up before they did so.

The_Judge
06-17-13, 12:15 PM
I agree. Given your history of problems with the transmission, your dissatisfaction with the prior attempts to repair it, your vocal public complaints and your demand for an entirely new transmission, the extended test was, IMHO, clearly justified. Rather than complaining, I would be pleased at their extra effort.

tinman
06-17-13, 12:28 PM
I haven't complained. I was waiting to see which way the wind was blowing before I made a decision. I know in the back of my head that a major test drive was in order. It seems to be driving just fine now. I only hope it continues.

I appreciate everyone's ideas and support throughout this ordeal. I am relearning my car all over. I got in it this morning and received a phone call and was surprised I had a bluetooth connection!

----------

Many thanks to all of you.

gohawks63
06-17-13, 02:28 PM
Add me to those who think taking an extended test drive was a very reasonable idea, and they did fill your tank ... but they should have given you a heads-up before they did so.

Ditto that.

928S
06-17-13, 06:15 PM
Re: extended test drive.

fwiw, my CTS’ 42,000 total miles include >800 miles of so-called "test drives."

IF your Cadillac dealer is like mine, then a test drive of more than a few miles is cheap perk for dealer service employee who commutes from outlying area; employee leaves personal vehicle at dealership overnight, drives my Cadillac to and from home for one or more days (did he take the gf/wife/kids for a ride, out to dinner, or shopping?). Extended test drives are not performed on the clock during normal business hours; sad, but true.

99flhr
06-17-13, 06:36 PM
^ In multiple posts Tinman has expressed his anxiety about traveling far from home with wife/grandchildren/elderly parents in this car. I have no issue with the service employee being the beta tester. If he takes his gf/wife/kids for a ride, so be it. JMO

dreiloft
06-17-13, 08:52 PM
I hope your gas tank was empty when you broke down. :)

tinman
06-19-13, 08:18 AM
They had my car over a month. I can't remember how full it was. Hell, I can't remember yesterday. :rolleyes:

HurstGN
06-28-13, 12:55 PM
They had my car over a month. I can't remember how full it was. Hell, I can't remember yesterday. :rolleyes:

Allow me to refresh your memory...yesterday I loaned you $100. I'd like you to repay the loan now. :thepan:

tinman
06-28-13, 01:03 PM
I'd gladly pay you tomorrow...:alchi: