: Drained battery killed my radio?

dchand63
06-01-13, 08:05 PM
I left my ignition on accessory mode for 8 hours, my battery was of course flat. I pulled the battery, charged it overnight, load tested the battery checked good then reinstalled it. The navigation/infotainment system would not come on line. The Cadillac symbol would appear then roll around, the system would initiate no further. The radio, in AM/FM/XM/CD functions with no display, after 90 seconds of operation the radio cuts off for 5 seconds then reinitiates. Took the car the dealership figuring it needed the navigation/infotainment system reprogramed. 24 hours later I am being told the radio is bad and needs replacing and my dash is in pieces? Replacement cost is $1200.00. Does running codes require my dash/radio to be disassembled?
Anyone have any experience/information concerning this?

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-03-13, 02:43 PM
I left my ignition on accessory mode for 8 hours, my battery was of course flat. I pulled the battery, charged it overnight, load tested the battery checked good then reinstalled it. The navigation/infotainment system would not come on line. The Cadillac symbol would appear then roll around, the system would initiate no further. The radio, in AM/FM/XM/CD functions with no display, after 90 seconds of operation the radio cuts off for 5 seconds then reinitiates. Took the car the dealership figuring it needed the navigation/infotainment system reprogramed. 24 hours later I am being told the radio is bad and needs replacing and my dash is in pieces? Replacement cost is $1200.00. Does running codes require my dash/radio to be disassembled?
Anyone have any experience/information concerning this?

Hello dchand63,

I am sorry for the radio issue your vehicle is experiencing. I see you have already taken it to a dealership for diagnosis and they told you a replacement is needed. Code reading does not require any vehicle parts to be disassembled. Let us know if there are any questions or concerns you would like to discuss further.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

dchand63
07-03-13, 02:09 PM
Hi Laura,
Thanks for responding to my post. That is what I was thinking and therefore was surprised when I was told the dash had been disassembled to troubleshoot a radio problem. To date it's been well over a month and several return trips to the dealer for this issue. I am currently in my third loaner car and have been in it almost three weeks. I would like to forward you the letter I have written to the service manager, it has all of the dates and other pertinent information concerning this issue. At this point I'm almost speechless concerning this situation, if I do not contact the dealer for status I hear nothing. I'm actually holding out to see how long it's going to take them to update me, the last time I had contact with them was on June 24th which I initiated. I am a firm believer in not killing the messenger and I have treated the staff members I have come in contact with, with patience and understanding throughout this endeavor.
Please advise,
Best Wishes
D.L. Chandler

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-03-13, 03:16 PM
Hi Laura,
Thanks for responding to my post. That is what I was thinking and therefore was surprised when I was told the dash had been disassembled to troubleshoot a radio problem. To date it's been well over a month and several return trips to the dealer for this issue. I am currently in my third loaner car and have been in it almost three weeks. I would like to forward you the letter I have written to the service manager, it has all of the dates and other pertinent information concerning this issue. At this point I'm almost speechless concerning this situation, if I do not contact the dealer for status I hear nothing. I'm actually holding out to see how long it's going to take them to update me, the last time I had contact with them was on June 24th which I initiated. I am a firm believer in not killing the messenger and I have treated the staff members I have come in contact with, with patience and understanding throughout this endeavor.
Please advise,
Best Wishes
D.L. Chandler

Hello D.L. Chandler,

You are welcome. I apologize for the numerous trips to the dealer for the same issue, and how you are in your loaner vehicle more than your own. How about we continue to interact via private message. Send me a message and include your contact information, VIN, current mileage and name and location of the dealership which you have worked with.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

tinman
07-03-13, 03:21 PM
This is wrong. :nono:

dchand63
07-03-13, 07:49 PM
Which part?

Surfstix
07-04-13, 06:42 AM
If they cannot diagnose a problem the mileage to the dealer should be added back on your warranty since they feel multiple trips there just lessen the mileage of your coverage.Are these techs actually trained they can't find anything wrong ever unless it attacks your wallet.Tinman said it all in 3 words.

C "T" ess
07-04-13, 11:11 AM
From a repair stand point, you are experiencing the same thing as tinman and ctschick. You have code readers who follow a chart to find the problem and then you have mechanics that can tackle the problem and get it right the first time.

MoFex
07-07-13, 06:42 PM
From a repair stand point, you are experiencing the same thing as tinman and ctschick. You have code readers who follow a chart to find the problem and then you have mechanics that can tackle the problem and get it right the first time.

And the Cadillac employs the former ones.... Sad....sorry meant to say the dealership.....though for the customer point of view they are the same.....

Hyphymikey
07-08-13, 04:42 AM
Are you still under warranty? I would take it to a different dealership either way. My friend let his Escalade go dead, then the radio would not work, and the dealer "reset" the radio for him. What that includes I have no clue, but it was under warranty and took less than an hour.

MoFex
07-08-13, 07:46 AM
Are you still under warranty? I would take it to a different dealership either way. My friend let his Escalade go dead, then the radio would not work, and the dealer "reset" the radio for him. What that includes I have no clue, but it was under warranty and took less than an hour.

I think in the good old days running down battery would result in radio lock up. It was to prevent radio from being stolen as removing it from a car would render it usless unles dealer could unlock it. Maybe we have similar feature in our CTS.

tinman
07-08-13, 01:39 PM
Isn't there something about restarting the vehicle after the battery is changed out/dead battery? Maybe it is just the throttle control, and maybe I am thinking of my Audi which has to be reset by the dealer. Not sure if our Cadillac electrical system has to be reset by the dealer for the entire battery replacement thing or not.

C "T" ess
07-11-13, 11:07 AM
If the battery is left uncharged the radio may have reset to lock mode. If you initially set up a security code (i never have) you can unlock the radio yourself. If not the dealer goes in with the tech II and unlocks it. I had this on my 2006, it took the dealer just a few minutes to rectify the problem.

tinman
07-11-13, 11:23 AM
It's a major inconvenience, but many of the manufacturers have done this to help eliminate theft. Lots of aftermarket head units have this "feature" as well.