: Max throtle angle

JSMeloche
01-25-05, 03:46 PM
After some acting up from the cruise control when its very cold outside i checked the throtle angle on the DIC, i found out that the MAX it goes is only 80 degree, is this normal??? Maybee this is affecting my 1/4 mile performance.
The car is a 95, probably the gaz cable as "streched" a bit over the last 10 years and the throtle blade is not off by 10 degree. Should it open a full 90 degree? or 80 is factory setting?

BeelzeBob
01-25-05, 11:41 PM
After some acting up from the cruise control when its very cold outside i checked the throtle angle on the DIC, i found out that the MAX it goes is only 80 degree, is this normal??? Maybee this is affecting my 1/4 mile performance.
The car is a 95, probably the gaz cable as "streched" a bit over the last 10 years and the throtle blade is not off by 10 degree. Should it open a full 90 degree? or 80 is factory setting?

That is about the maximum. Very few, if any, throttles open a full 90 degrees. You do not want to ever open the throttle near to 90 as the air rush will tend to pull the throttle open as it comes near 90 or just beyond. So most all throttle blades stop well before 90.

This does not hurt performance at all. If you hold the throttle open and look thru the bore you will notice that the blade has a certain thickness and the throttle shaft has a certain diameter. Part of the shaft diameter sticks into the air stream due to the diameter. This partially restricts the air flow as the open area is reduced by the thickness of the throttle shaft. If you look carefully you will notice that the throttle blade is slightly less than 90 and is within the "shadow" of the shaft diameter. So, not being "fully open" will not hurt a thing.

Jam your foot onto the accelerator sitting still with the key on and engine off and see what the maximum throttle available is. Maybe a floor mat is holding the pedal up a little also....

JSMeloche
01-26-05, 09:06 AM
Jam your foot onto the accelerator sitting still with the key on and engine off and see what the maximum throttle available is. Maybe a floor mat is holding the pedal up a little also....

Thats exactly what I did, now that you mention about the floor mat maybee my big "pant protector" rubber mat are cushioning quite a bit... now I look like an idiot lol

Thanks for the great info!!!