: Trunk pull down question

96LT1
06-01-13, 05:25 PM
How can i get my trunk to close without using the pull down motor? I want to just close it and have it be flush where it should be, can i replace it with a latch from a car that didnt come with a pull down motor?

csbuckn
06-01-13, 06:18 PM
Unplug it in the down position. Push the little lever until it goes down and then unplug it? Maybe that will work. The cars without it have a piece just welded on I think.

brougham
06-02-13, 05:24 AM
Easiest way to keep it down is just unplug it and it'll work like normal. If it's broken and it won't go down by itself take it apart and twist it down by hand.

turbojimmy
06-02-13, 05:51 PM
Why not fix it so it works properly? The part that usually breaks is (the paddle switch) is only $20. Otherwise, to get it in the same, flush position as the pulldown motor would have done you would have to slam it pretty hard every time.

Angry Matt
06-02-13, 07:51 PM
Every one that I unplugged so far has to have been slammed several times to get it to shut right. It's really annoying, but I've never been motivated enough to fix them properly either.

turbojimmy
06-02-13, 09:40 PM
Every one that I unplugged so far has to have been slammed several times to get it to shut right. It's really annoying, but I've never been motivated enough to fix them properly either.

Takes $20 and 5 minutes.

csbuckn
06-02-13, 09:43 PM
I forgot about that, you do have to slam it hard but you can always adjust the piece on the trunk lid and slide it down a little.

cadillac_al
06-02-13, 10:08 PM
It can be adjusted to close easily. My Fleetwood actually doesn't close all the way because I didn't screw it down far enough. I plan to tackle that issue this summer sometime.

turbojimmy
06-02-13, 10:37 PM
It can be adjusted to close easily. My Fleetwood actually doesn't close all the way because I didn't screw it down far enough. I plan to tackle that issue this summer sometime.

Exactly. It can be adjusted to close easily, but easily is not as tightly as the pulldown motor would normally work. I've messed with a lot of them and the best solution is to make it work like stock. The parts are cheap and if it worked for 20-something years, fix it right and it will work for 20-something years more.

YoshiMan
06-02-13, 10:38 PM
I was kind of disappointed when i discovered that my CDV is one of the rare cars that came without this option! ( at least i think it's rare, its the only big Cadillac i've personally seen without it) It's one less thing to break, but it always gets ooohs and ahhhs from people when you show them that a 37 year old car closes ANYTHING on it's own!

cadillac kevin
06-02-13, 11:43 PM
I was kind of disappointed when i discovered that my CDV is one of the rare cars that came without this option! ( at least i think it's rare, its the only big Cadillac i've personally seen without it) It's one less thing to break, but it always gets ooohs and ahhhs from people when you show them that a 37 year old car closes ANYTHING on it's own!

My caddy doesn't have it....I figure that's a good thing....one less thing to break.

1980coupe
06-03-13, 02:11 AM
I don't have to slam mine at all. As soon as it latches, closes nice and smooth. So does the 78, the 79 doesn't have it..
To answer question
Have it closed first, disconnect battery, then open trunk, disconnect the plug, close trunk and reconnect battery.

turbojimmy
06-03-13, 02:37 PM

That's the way my '96 and '94 were. When it works, you can hear the decklid creak when that motor pulls it down - it pulls down hard. Both of them leaked, too, when the pulldown was inop. It's so easy to fix I don't know why people go through the hassle of unplugging them and manually winding them to an optimal point. If you've eliminated potential issue of the wiring at the trunk hinge, it's probably the paddle switch. It literally takes 5 minutes to change. Part number 16629927.

brougham
06-05-13, 10:38 PM
It's so easy to fix I don't know why people go through the hassle of unplugging them and manually winding them to an optimal point.

Because they usually break at the worst time so you have to do that to get your trunk closed, then since you can close it it's not a very big priority to fix.

Vladillac Khrougham
06-07-13, 11:19 AM
my grandfather would slam the trunk on his '02 Town car, now the trunk pull down no longer works (either by slamming or he disconnected it) but ever once in a great while the trunk will open while driving.

96LT1
06-08-13, 08:45 AM
^The problem your grandfather has is he bought a lincoln.

I think my wire going to the motor is no good.