: coolant temp artificially hot?

robojesus
06-01-13, 02:54 PM
I was driving my V today in hot weather, and running the A/C. It's about 92 out right now.

I got "Coolant hot idle engine", so I shut my AC off, and coasted, and almost immediately the temperature went down to the middle line where it normally stays.

When I built my 408, i put this thermostat in the water pump. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrg-6367?seid=srese1&gclid=CPD5gJvDw7cCFQSZ4AodixoAPw

the stem that holds the thermostat is a little longer than the stock one, but it was just pushed down by the rest of the water pump, to stock location, so what i'm saying here is, although the stem is longer, the opening mechanism is still the same throw. The car was running at fine temperatures when it was in the 60's... the only thing that has changed is I pulled my radiator out to put a new A/C compressor in.

Anyone else experienced any "fluke" overheats, or is this something I need to figure out?

Wingsfan4life
06-01-13, 04:13 PM
I got a couple last summer...changed the coolant temp sensor and its been fine since

darkman
06-01-13, 04:26 PM
And coolant temp sensors are almost free. ($7-$20).

robojesus
06-02-13, 07:08 PM
I guess I should have noted that I just had a friend take the rad out... turns out he left the fan unplugged. Meh.

Wingsfan4life
06-03-13, 08:41 AM
I was gonna suggest checking fan plugs as well...my primary fan came unplugged a clue times.. *after coolant temp sensor replacement* weirdest thing ever too..had to use a zip tie on it..lol