: 1973 472 no start

73cdeville
06-01-13, 11:00 AM
Im having a pretty hard time trying to get this thing going again, recently had the carb rebuilt, distributor rebuilt, new plugs, wires, cap/rotor. Basically all the general maintenance stuff. The car ran fine, then one day started to cut out, and run really rough. thats when I took out the carb and had it rebuilt. I have good fuel going in, good spark, but for some reason It will not fire, and im at a loss for what more I can check.

cadillac_al
06-01-13, 11:40 AM
You have verified good spark and the accelerator pump is squirting gas? It should kick or something. Are the spark plugs getting too wet?

73cdeville
06-01-13, 12:46 PM
yes, its squirting gas, I pulled out a couple plugs and they seem ok, ive probably done this already several times just to make sure i didn't miss anything, but this really has me stumped.

even emptied the tank, just make make sure there was no water in there.

77CDV
06-01-13, 05:26 PM
Fuel pump is good and no clogs in the fuel lines or tank pickup?

73cdeville
06-01-13, 05:34 PM
fuel pump is good, new filter no debris in it. maybe jumped a tooth or two on the timing chain?

77CDV
06-01-13, 05:36 PM
Possible. It only failed to start after the carb rebuild?

73cdeville
06-01-13, 07:51 PM
no it was previous to the carb rebuild, thats actually why i had it rebuilt because i thought it was the problem.

csbuckn
06-01-13, 09:27 PM
Does it act like it wants to start or backfire? Spark, air and fuel is all it needs so you probably dont have spark. Have you tried gas or starter fluid down the intake?

cadillac_al
06-01-13, 09:41 PM
If I was betting money, I bet on points and condenser every time. A lot of carbs get rebuilt because of bad points. It seems to me if there was spark, and the plugs aren't soaked, it should kick or backfire or something. Have you left your key on lately? I killed a couple coils back in the day by leaving my key on. One time the coil worked barely and ran horrible, and took me a long time to figure it out because that coil was new.

73cdeville
06-15-13, 03:48 PM
Alright, so basically it was a faulty condenser, i replaced it and the car starts and idles fine. now i have another issue, when i go to drive the car, it stumbles and pops under acceleration, then when i let off its fine. what could this possibly be?

77CDV
06-15-13, 04:48 PM
Exhaust backpressure.

SafariOne
06-15-13, 06:06 PM
Ignition coil or throttle position sensor issue.......

----------

Ignition coil or throttle position sensor issue.or distributor coil.

deVille33
06-16-13, 10:19 AM
Ignition coil or throttle position sensor issue.......

----------

Ignition coil or throttle position sensor issue.or distributor coil. There are no TPS units on 1973 472's.

The Ape Man
06-17-13, 10:38 AM
Have you checked dwell and ignition timing?

73cdeville
06-17-13, 04:24 PM
Have you checked dwell and ignition timing?

Timing is set to 8 degrees btdc, im going to double check points gap, have not checked dwell yet.

The Ape Man
06-17-13, 05:25 PM
Timing is set to 8 degrees btdc, im going to double check points gap, have not checked dwell yet.

If the condensor was going bad it could really have pitted the points and messed the dwell up. Also the new condensor would need to have the exact same value of capacitance as the old one to yield the same dwell. One reason it should be checked whenever swapping this stuff. Gawd I'm old.