: Leaking Coolant Somewhere

kschwed
05-31-13, 11:37 PM
Hey all,

2006 Cadillac STS V6 1SC - 80k miles.

I've been leaking coolant very slowly, but it seems to have recently become more noticeable. Today, actually, my car told me to check the coolant level and it was about an inch below the full mark. Last time I added coolant was probably two months ago - 2k miles.

I can sometimes smell the coolant when I get out of my car, but I don't see anything on the ground. Leads me to believe it is dripping on something hot and evaporating.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

B1n2fra
06-01-13, 12:09 AM
I know on the northstar it would more likely be the water pump. You can try that first.

kschwed
06-01-13, 12:19 AM
Is that something I can fix myself, being relatively mechanically inclined?

chazglenn3
06-01-13, 10:59 AM
Sure. I didn't want to deal with it so I had the dealer change my water pump. It was a $700 repair covered under my extended warranty. An AllData account or the factory service manual will be your friend.

kschwed
06-01-13, 02:10 PM
Sure. I didn't want to deal with it so I had the dealer change my water pump. It was a $700 repair covered under my extended warranty. An AllData account or the factory service manual will be your friend.

Thanks for the info. Does anyone have the info needed to replace the pump, including the part number? I don't mind paying for an account on alldata, but if someone has the info already, that would be helpful.

B1n2fra
06-01-13, 05:15 PM
Your water pump should be easier since there's more space than in the v8

JGarten
06-01-13, 11:52 PM
For me, it was the plastic "T" connector on the radiator overflow hose. Funny thing having a "T" connection on an overflow hose, but there it is. Runs right across the top of the radiator where it can be exposed to some sharp edges if not seated properly (got smashed by the hood?) No puddle on the floor, but the top right corner of the radiator was wet. Three hose clamps and a brass "T" fixed it. Easy Peasy.