: 6 Speed Transmission

Pimp_Cadi04
01-25-05, 10:28 AM
The guy on SRTforums said that when your under a certain % of throttle or RPM you have to shift from 1st to 4th gear to save gas.
It is post #13 on: The thread is CTS-V or SRT-8
www.srtforums.com
(http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showpost.php?=p152271&postcount=13)

steve711
01-25-05, 11:10 AM
This is called "skip shift" It is like you'v heard, certin rpm's & certin engine temps theres a mechanism that kicks in that will not let you shift to any other gear Hence 1st to 4th. Its a pain in the A S S ! that had to go.With the help of stealth V it was a snap.Heres the link.
http://stealthv.nitro-nights.com/cagselim.htm

V-Max
01-25-05, 11:14 AM
The owners manual states it happens between 15-19 MPH. Very easy to shift around once you get a feeling where it is. If I do encounter it I usually double clutch(depress the clutch a second time) and I can find any gear that I want.

Norm

PneuBird
01-25-05, 12:10 PM
For those of you near Ft. Wayne, IN, "DTE" has a tune that eliminates the "skip shift".....best money I ever spent!!!!! :thumbsup:

Kels55
01-25-05, 12:19 PM
Superchips also has a tune that eliminates the skip shift.

globed70
01-25-05, 12:51 PM
This is common for most vehicles featuring the Tremec T56 transmission... including Corvette, Viper, and CTS-V. It was a bit more obvious on my Viper, and I experience it very infrequently in the V. I do however get on the throttle, so those more economy minded drivers are probably annoyed on a more regular basis. For all the garbage information out there, all it does is block engagement of 2nd gear, so that when you pull down you are basically guided into 4th. All done in the name of economy for the sake of regulatory crap.... the common thread amongst these cars is big displacement... they suck up alot of fuel at low RPM, yet have the torque to successfully pull off this 1->4 upshift. For the BIG deal everyone (particularly non-owners) make about this, it is really not an issue... if you don't like it, use the aftermarket skip-shift plug on the tranny... dealers won't give you a problem, and you haven't messed with the software. Also for those new to the T56, you should really consider it a 5-spd transmission, as 6th is a DOUBLE overdrive and intended for economy.... never acceleration or top speed.

Art138
01-25-05, 01:12 PM
Globed70:
If Viper and GM use this tremec transmission which comany manufactures it. I know it is made in Queretaro,.Mexico, but it is a Chrysler product????

benjet
01-25-05, 02:07 PM
It's made by Tremec, model T-56, and each car has a slight variant they are NOT interchangable. if you do a serach, or check the FAQ there are number of links full of info including the trans service manual etc.

01-25-05, 02:16 PM
search "cags" or "cags eliminator" on this forum. I bought one from Rick (stealthv), it took 30 seconds to install once the car was on the ramps, and I haven't been bothered with that silly feature since. If I decide I want it back I can remove the piece in another 30 seconds.

Several vendors offer them now; Rick is a forum member, and designed and made them at our request, and I think his is the only one that connects in series (physically) between both the male and female sides of the factory harness, so nothing is left dangling.

Electrically they all work the same, that is by providing a resistance that makes the computer think that the skipshift solenoid is still there, but it is really disconnected.

DgtalPimp
01-25-05, 03:09 PM
I bought Rick's as well. Great product and great price.

JEM
01-25-05, 03:23 PM
If Viper and GM use this tremec transmission which comany manufactures it. I know it is made in Queretaro,.Mexico, but it is a Chrysler product????

The T56 was designed by Borg-Warner back when they did transmissions; they sold off all their manual-transmission designs to TTC (http://www.ttcautomotive.com) some years ago. They're all built in Mexico now.

The skip-shift is an artifact of US CAFE regulations, you won't find it in T56s used in non-US applications.

Art138
01-25-05, 03:56 PM
JEM; thanks very informative for me since I have a new Viper also.