: Woot! she said yes!!!

RyRidesMotoX
05-31-13, 05:21 PM
To me starting a savings account for the car... What the hell were you thinking about??? LOL

Seriously though, it went down like this, I'm getting my rental property refinanced and i should be pocketing about $200 extra a month from it. Basically she and I were discussing it and she said "why don't you start a savings account with that for your car?" I almost choked on my lunch, shit my pants, and had a stroke at the same time! I asked like 3 times if she was serious. She kept saying yes so I got the green light. Granted it will take me a LOOOOONG time to save up for big stuff but I could have the heads and can done by next year or so I'm gonna get to start with like $1000 so I'm pretty stoked.

So the future I want to get new suspension bushings, motor mounts, cradle bushings, , and trans mount bushing, then send the heads to AI and get the 232cc heads, get the rotating assembly taken care of, put a 2300TVS or a KB twin screw in it and put a well matched cam... Oh and I'm gonna be putting the parts for the 8.8 together soon. I'm gonna be doing the build back to front, rear end first, have the trans and clutch done, then start the big motor stuff after all that is done up.

Its not JUST gonna be the extra $200 I'll be putting in extra money all year. But I'm just stoked I get to start the savings account for my speed addiction.

HAMSTAR
05-31-13, 05:33 PM
use your extra funds to hire a private eye to find your balls

just kidding. i think we're all in the same boat. except DMM. he likes em young and manipulable.

RyRidesMotoX
05-31-13, 05:40 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Well I am having to pay for our wedding right now. Not to mention my little minion, he is 9 months old, is expensive, formula, diapers, toys and shit. And I'm responsible for 2 houses 1 I live in 1 I rent out, and both of our cars. I have no debt other than the cars and houses and its killing me to see $8k sitting in my (our) bank with nothing to do except pay for a wedding.... Lol if I was still single, there would be a new rear end in the car already and a giant supercharger on the way.

HAMSTAR
05-31-13, 05:55 PM
I'm taking my time on my mods, too, for the same reasons. The kid comes first, and you gotta sock some away for a rainy day. What's left goes to the car :)

RyRidesMotoX
05-31-13, 06:22 PM
I'm taking my time on my mods, too, for the same reasons. The kid comes first, and you gotta sock some away for a rainy day. What's left goes to the car :)

Yea for sure... I kind of underestimated the amount of money involved in paying for a kid... Sheesh, and child care ohhhh myyyy god... And I watch him most of the day because I work the afternoon shift at the ol salt mines.

thebigjimsho
05-31-13, 10:15 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Well I am having to pay for our wedding right now. Not to mention my little minion, he is 9 months old, is expensive, formula, diapers, toys and shit. And I'm responsible for 2 houses 1 I live in 1 I rent out, and both of our cars. I have no debt other than the cars and houses and its killing me to see $8k sitting in my (our) bank with nothing to do except pay for a wedding.... Lol if I was still single, there would be a new rear end in the car already and a giant supercharger on the way.

No debt other than car(s) and house(s)...

Congrats?

RyRidesMotoX
06-01-13, 03:52 AM
Well considering that many people have maxed out credit cards, student loans, own loan sharks named vinnie that work for the mob, or are in the process of selling bodily organs to pay for stuff, I think I'm doing well haha.

PISNUOFF
06-01-13, 07:28 AM

just kidding. i think we're all in the same boat. except DMM. he likes em young and manipulable.

Psssshhh I don't know about everyone else. I asked a younger one to marry me AAAANNNNNNDDDD she's paying for all the go fast parts for a TT 427 LSX, 9" and transmission. I think everyone's goal should be to find a hot young one that loves going fast, makes good money and doesn't want any children besides the 15 year old you already have.

Chris Cornett
06-01-13, 09:36 AM
Its easier to just stay single LOL

Torxila
06-01-13, 12:54 PM
Congrats on the "OK"

My motto, is "IF It Flys, Foats or F**ks...rent it"

philistine
06-04-13, 12:06 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^LOLOLOLOLOLOL

I'm in the reverse situation. We are refinancing our house and picking up a rental property. I had 2 project cars and the CTS-V mod-fund got robbed. It's staying NA until the rental property starts paying for itself. At least I squeezed out one project car before I was strong-armed into the rental property.

RyRidesMotoX
06-04-13, 12:18 PM
I'm in the reverse situation. We are refinancing our house and picking up a rental property. I had 2 project cars and the CTS-V mod-fund got robbed. It's staying NA until the rental property starts paying for itself. At least I squeezed out one project car before I was strong-armed into the rental property.

I have the cts-v and to mod and my dirt bike to fix. But the V is getting priority. I sold my 59 ford pickup when the kid was born to pay for nursery stuff and other miscellaneous bills. So I got rid of one project there and maaaaaaay have taken $2k from the sale for my exhaust on the the V lol. I knew I should have went for the 1&7/8 headers... Oh well.

What is your NA build looking like? I'm still kind of trying to decide if I want to just drop a blower on the LS6 and refresh the bottom end or drop in a big inch replacement for the LS6.

philistine
06-04-13, 03:48 PM
I have the cts-v and to mod and my dirt bike to fix. But the V is getting priority. I sold my 59 ford pickup when the kid was born to pay for nursery stuff and other miscellaneous bills. So I got rid of one project there and maaaaaaay have taken $2k from the sale for my exhaust on the the V lol. I knew I should have went for the 1&7/8 headers... Oh well.

What is your NA build looking like? I'm still kind of trying to decide if I want to just drop a blower on the LS6 and refresh the bottom end or drop in a big inch replacement for the LS6.

By NA, I meant stock power. However, I would take a graded approach and lean towards a Procharger. The CTS-V has plenty of torque (per my taste) in the 1-2 gears and by the time you hit 3rd that Procharger is spooled up and ready to go! I'm comfortable using the stock bottom and if it blew...I would do a swap and not drop a penny in a LS6 long block.

All the heatsoak and high IATs make me abandon the roots style positive displacement units.

RyRidesMotoX
06-04-13, 06:18 PM
I'm not sure yet what I'm gonna do. I kind of want to just have some porting done to the stock heads and putting a cam in it then build the rear end and put in new engine/trans mounts and new poly bushings everywhere. If that's still not enough I'll save up for a TVS or a Kennel Belle and drop some coin on a forged 408 lower end. We shall see though. As soon as the new mortgage closes I'll have some extra cash lying around from the month without a payment between the closing of one and the opening of another... I'll probably start the savings with that $1k and then hopefully have the heads and cam done around the end of the year.

HAMSTAR
06-04-13, 06:34 PM
I play the stock market and when I make a big profit, I take half and put it to fun/mods and the other half gets re-invested. I had money in Tesla before it went up 150% 2 weeks ago, then sold it while it was hot. An electric car is paying for me to guzzle more gas, lol.

amunderdog
06-04-13, 06:45 PM
http://youtu.be/Fj4vLZJhNEk

philistine
06-04-13, 07:34 PM
I'm not sure yet what I'm gonna do. I kind of want to just have some porting done to the stock heads and putting a cam in it then build the rear end and put in new engine/trans mounts and new poly bushings everywhere. If that's still not enough I'll save up for a TVS or a Kennel Belle and drop some coin on a forged 408 lower end. We shall see though. As soon as the new mortgage closes I'll have some extra cash lying around from the month without a payment between the closing of one and the opening of another... I'll probably start the savings with that $1k and then hopefully have the heads and cam done around the end of the year.

Ok I gotta ask...what's with the Kenne Bell??? When I drove a Mustang GT those were all the rave and those kits just dropped right in about 12hrs of work. They are still prone to heat soak and I think max rated to ~600whp. If you are doing a built bottom end and ported heads first...Procharger and turn up the boost! I had a neighbor toss one of those (KB) in his 2010 Challenger and all he had was heat soak issues - unrelated to his Kenne Bell SC, he spun a bearing. I believe he made ~550 whp. Bolting on all that torque and all those 1/4 mile runs, it lasted 3 months. The new power destroyed his axles, rear end, and transmission.

The Prochargers (F1C) I've seen on a Grand Cherokee SRT8 with 12psi making ~750 to the wheels. Many Vettes and Camaros also were making ~700 whp. All that with low IATs and nice linear power curve.

To me the LS6 is not all that impressive for a cam or built bottom end - just wouldn't put money into the block. I'd do a nice bolt-on and then part with the car/SC separately when I'm done. I do agree that porting the heads is much better than an aftermarket option. In other words, if I went through the effort to yank the LS6 out...it ain't going back in. The CS 8.8 is really sweet but only if I had 500+ whp to really take advantage of it.

RyRidesMotoX
06-04-13, 08:06 PM
A buddy of mine had one on mustang he had real good results with it. His has the liquid cooler for the supercharger's oil so he didn't have as much of a problem with heat as usual. A large part of my desire for one is it's just different really, a twin screw as opposed to a TVS, there is also Lysholm twin screws.. And since the only other twin screw is a Whipple but I have read about a few issues with them recently so I'm kinda steering clear.

Honestly it would be easier/cheaper to get a take off of an LS9 or LSA TVS. They are really reliable and they flow a good amount of air as well. That would be the cheapest route and probably the easiest I imagine. Ideally I want to try and get 600hp to the wheels with a big flat torque curve as a daily driver/track day animal to compete with the V2. so in the end it's going to need a supercharger or turbo. There is no way I'm gong to shoot for a NA motor with 600whp, that wouldn't be very street friendly in my opinion. And I'd rather have the 8.8 in already or ready to go in as soon as the motor gets done for reliabilities sake.

I'm just going to hope that a head and cam isn't going to cause too much havoc with the differential. From info I have gathered about the car so far, many guys are running maggies with little to no issue. And I'm not going to have nearly that much power with just a head/cam.

When I get to the point of a supercharger I'll just have to see what's around. Its not going to be a super tight budget build but I'm also not going to throw $20k at the motor alone just to get the power. If the LS6 can't get it done I'll throw a larger LS block thrown in there. I have seen some 7.0 iron blocks for about $2k and sell the LS6 with the head and cam for a decent amount to recoup some cost. I'm gonna try and keep it as low as possible. I'll probably do at least the rear end on my own, probably the clutch also but we'll see.

Ultimately, (when it comes to cars)there are really too many choices ... Its like walking into a strip club in Vegas... 20 stages, 100s of women all walking around naked and I feel like a kid with ADHD who just ingested 8lbs of sugar. LOL

philistine
06-04-13, 09:45 PM
Oh sounds like you're after a mean amount of torque. I looked at that route and the best DIY (save a ton of money on speedshop labor) is Maggie, cam, CS 8.8 and leave the heads alone e.g. don't port them, but install some better springs and retainers. Toss on an ATI super damper and get a tune - it will feel unbelievable. I drove a vette with a roots making ~500 whp and like to snap my neck 1st, 2nd gear.

To tell you the truth if they offer a huge discount on the Maggies again...I'm grabbing one and just deal with the wife later.

I'm all excited right now, waiting on my delivery of some new ID1000 injectors, Fullblown 340 fuel pump and Fluidampr harmonic balancer from Urge Design. The CTS-V is garage queen for a little while - it's my no hot stalls, no surging idle, reliable DD when I get frustrated with my S2k.

RyRidesMotoX
06-05-13, 12:13 AM
Yea I am after a monster torque motor but having a large amount of power under the curve is where its at. I guess we will see how good it works out in the end. I was pleasantly surprised with my cobalt... Starting at like 3k rpm it had 300lbs/ft of torque to the wheels (after I finished with the ethanol mix tune and the other performance stuff) it peaked at just a bit over 400 at like 5k... And the redline was upped to 7k. It started to fall off a after 6k because the stock turbo was small but it was an amazing little car. It pulled like a freight train and I miss that feeling. Now I'm not saying the V is slow, I love driving it. Its just not as fast as my little ghetto sports car cobalt. Lol

I would love to have a daily driver. But I only have a 6 mile commute so I'm not worried about mileage really.

philistine
06-05-13, 11:43 AM
I'm just going to hope that a head and cam isn't going to cause too much havoc with the differential. From info I have gathered about the car so far, many guys are running maggies with little to no issue. And I'm not going to have nearly that much power with just a head/cam.

I've seen AFR ported heads, Fast intake, cam, 3" exhaust make 440whp on a Mustang dyno with an LS6 but it was on a vette. Some of the Maggie guys are making that low. Those are just dyno numbers. Dyno charts to me are just tuning tools and doesn't show the drivability. I wanna say a Maggie with similar numbers would probably eat that alive on the street/track.

When I raced my 500+whp S2k against my CTS-V (before clutch slipping)with crap dyno numbers at 340whp it was devastating for the S2k until it hit 3rd gear and made full boost. I had to catch up to like 4-5 car lengths then in a blink of the eye...the CTS-V was so far behind like it was in reverse.

We swapped drivers and it's so weird to get such a large jump only to watch a tiny import fart away and leave you in the dust.

With my clutch slipping right now on the CTS-V it's miserable all around - I can still dust my wife's FRS though, haha.

RyRidesMotoX
06-05-13, 01:35 PM
Its all about power under the curve baby the Honda just doesn't have it like an LS motor. Even a boosted Honda. That just has to do with displacement. There really is no replacement when it comes to volumetric efficiency. A larger motor can pump more air in a given amount of time with all other variable remaining equal. I really wanted a BR-z when they first were slated for production... Then I found out they weren't gong to be turbo'd from the factory, total waste. That car is so light... Toyota should have boosted he little bastard. It would be a $25k vette killer. They corner so well, but its like riding a 2stroke dirt bike vs a 4stroke. You gotta rev the nuts off the 2stroke around a corner to have a good exit, where as a 4stroke you can just limp it around and hammer the throttle and you're good.

HAMSTAR
06-05-13, 01:49 PM
S2K = 2800 lbs

V1 = 4000lbs

if you'd swapped motors with the S2K, I would predict a similar outcome, lol

I've seen AFR ported heads, Fast intake, cam, 3" exhaust make 440whp on a Mustang dyno with an LS6 but it was on a vette. Some of the Maggie guys are making that low. Those are just dyno numbers. Dyno charts to me are just tuning tools and doesn't show the drivability. I wanna say a Maggie with similar numbers would probably eat that alive on the street/track.

When I raced my 500+whp S2k against my CTS-V (before clutch slipping)with crap dyno numbers at 340whp it was devastating for the S2k until it hit 3rd gear and made full boost. I had to catch up to like 4-5 car lengths then in a blink of the eye...the CTS-V was so far behind like it was in reverse.

We swapped drivers and it's so weird to get such a large jump only to watch a tiny import fart away and leave you in the dust.

With my clutch slipping right now on the CTS-V it's miserable all around - I can still dust my wife's FRS though, haha.

JD03Cobra
06-05-13, 02:00 PM

LOL quote of the year! I could never live like that...anyway, congrats on the green light.

philistine
06-06-13, 12:37 AM
^^^Haha that is pretty funny. It's much better when the other half supports your interests though, I'll be watching the build thread.

RyRidesMotoX
06-07-13, 11:41 PM
Just got word that the refi of my condo is gong through this week so the car fund is starting up soon

philistine
06-07-13, 11:48 PM
Well summer is here and idk about your location but race season is in full swing here which means tuners are unavailable. Are you starting this in Fall timeframe?

RyRidesMotoX
06-08-13, 01:48 AM
Yea probably closer to next January... I'm just looking at cylinder head porting and parts and stuff... I'm not sure if anyone had any feedback on Lloyd Elliot heads porting or not but they seem to be a good deal @ $1350 for his middle of the road heads (no fly cutting) + cam. http://elliottsportworks.com/?page_id=59 they come assembled with valves, springs, retainers the whole shebang it seems like a good deal anyways. I'm guessing its a custom ground cam, I'll probably email them closer to when I have the money saved to see what cams they use. So that leaves me with getting a new oil pump, timing chain, lifters and pushrods and a few other items. I'll probably go the standard LS7 lifters and the biggest diameter rods I can fit in there. Jegs has a double roller for like $100 which is pretty tempting. I haven't used them since like 2000 when I got some parts for a SBC swap into my 55 pickup but they were pretty decent quality at the time. Though an LS2 timing system is a little cheaper and I probably don't need the double roller since this is just going to be a head/cam/intake motor, and it will be a daily driver so the cam won't be scary big. I think I have decided to wait on an FI engine until I have enough to swap it out for a bigger iron block (7.0 liters haha). I'm just hoping to nudge over the 400whp (hopefully I'm being a little conservative with that estimate) hump for now. Then build the drive train (diff & trans). I'll probably wait on the clutch if the stocker holds. If not I'll get a McLeod twin to put in. As far as intake I'm just going to wait till I find someone selling a fast 92 next year sometime and I'll either have the stock throttle body ported if it will help any with airflow... If not I'll probably go nick Williams. Its not a total budget build but I'm trying to keep the whole thing under like $2500 parts, install, and tuning in total for the heads and cam. I'll do the intake and throttle body myself, but probably take it to get tuned. I work like 60 hours a week and don't get home till the wee hours of the morning. I don't want to be doing this when I'm all tired and frustrated. Plus the place I'm gonna take it to (Cunningham Motorsports) will toss it on the dyno, tune it, and give me numbers right there. So I'll just go that route for now. I have hptuners but I'll just let them do it right the first time rather than try and do a street tune with a 6 mile commute. When my commute was 40 miles it was super easy because logging time came in big chunks. They have built/tuned a 1000hp camaro that hit 202mph in the Mojave Mile here in California so I think they are up to the task.

RyRidesMotoX
06-08-13, 07:37 AM
Also I'm kind of leery about doing this to an engine with 80-90k miles on it. Nothing in it is going to be super aggressive with it, it is my daily driver after all.

RyRidesMotoX
06-21-13, 11:03 PM
Ok well I am pretty sure I have the list compiled for the parts needed for the build. +/- a few odds and ends.

Advanced Induction (AI) head and Cam package http://www.advancedinduction.com/LSX/AiLSxHeadsCamKits.php
-226cc port
-Ai 226 / 234 - .600" / .600" - 113 LSA cam
-PSI 1511 Beehive springs
-New OEM valve seals
-AI One Piece 4130 ChromeMoly Hardened Pushrods 5/16" & .080" Wall Thickness
-And oem .051 head gaskets

What's not included in the kit...
-Eaton LS7 hydraulic roller lifters (BTR $119)
-GM high flow oil pump (Jegs $76.99
-LS2 timing set (rockauto $60)
-Trunuion upgrade (AI $195)
-Timing cover gasket set (Fel-Pro $32)
-Depending on how the valve guides look I might have to spring for the all new bronze guides from AI for $250 as well

What else am I missing? I'm sure there is something.

I'm going to have this done and tuned at Cunningham here locally to me. I don't have the time with the work schedule and a new baby to do it myself sadly... but I trust Cunningham they have had some beastly cars roll out of their shop.

AI says that heads/cam should get to 440-460 wheel HP... I dont think it will so I'm just hoping it gets close to 400 at the wheels. Any extra is just gravy.

philistine
06-22-13, 12:01 AM
^^^Yeah you can yank about 440whp on a loaded dyno with a heads, cam, intake mod.

RyRidesMotoX
06-22-13, 12:11 AM
Yea I don't really care about dyno numbers. It's a tuning tool. I just say that as a benchmark 400whp on a mustang dyno would be pretty decent. I just want a little extra oomph in there. The cobalt was so much faster, I feel like I am going backwards sometimes lol. not really but I could definitely tell the difference. When I had both cars in the garage for a few weeks, before I sold the cobalt, I would take them out back to back and it made me realize how much I wanted to do to the V. This is just a starting point.

Damn I just got off pissnuoff's thread about his build... makes me want to run in shame cuz that thing is going to be a monster compared to mine lol. I cam frome the Cobalt SS world where I had one of the faster LNF cars on there and now I feel like such a noob haha.

philistine
06-22-13, 12:39 AM
I'm in both worlds...4 banger high horsepower and conventional LS V8 goodness. I find it more pleasurable to work on my Honda F20c and F22c engines and especially tuning. They come stock able to boost 30 psi worry-free. A built Honda F series engine competes very well with the LS torque muscle. I'm constantly comparing platforms with a few peers and after bragging about Honda...there is always someone reminding me that the LS engine is vicious when awakened.

RyRidesMotoX
06-22-13, 12:47 AM
Yea I hear ya... little 4 bangers are fun but I smile everytime I start up the Cadi... long tubes singing their little song when they start snapping when you shift, ah music to my ears... I dont even listen to the radi anymore lol. That little turbo cobalt was fun though. The exhaust I had, you could really hear the turbo spool up. I loved roasting the tires from 60-80mph in a roll race also... that 3rd gear was rather beastly. But the cadi is so much nicer in every way. I just want it to go faster

philistine
06-22-13, 01:04 AM
Lol, I don't even have my radio turned on in any of my cars. Like you...I listen to the growl of the headers and exhaust on the V. On the "S" I have a rather noisy blow off valve (BOV) and a vented hood so it's fun to hear the vrrrooooooom...splish!!!

RyRidesMotoX
06-22-13, 01:49 AM
^ yes it is... wide open turbo spool and psssssh people look and little boys with fart cans run in fear. I want an S2000 for a track car. There is a local shop here that does some cool stuff. 700whp turbo'd cars. I want to cage it and rip up road tracks with that beautiful weight distribution.

Sigfod
06-22-13, 10:51 AM
To me starting a savings account for the car... What the hell were you thinking about??? LOL

Seriously though, it went down like this, I'm getting my rental property refinanced and i should be pocketing about $200 extra a month from it. Basically she and I were discussing it and she said "why don't you start a savings account with that for your car?" I almost choked on my lunch, shit my pants, and had a stroke at the same time! I asked like 3 times if she was serious. She kept saying yes so I got the green light. Granted it will take me a LOOOOONG time to save up for big stuff but I could have the heads and can done by next year or so I'm gonna get to start with like $1000 so I'm pretty stoked.

So the future I want to get new suspension bushings, motor mounts, cradle bushings, , and trans mount bushing, then send the heads to AI and get the 232cc heads, get the rotating assembly taken care of, put a 2300TVS or a KB twin screw in it and put a well matched cam... Oh and I'm gonna be putting the parts for the 8.8 together soon. I'm gonna be doing the build back to front, rear end first, have the trans and clutch done, then start the big motor stuff after all that is done up.

Its not JUST gonna be the extra $200 I'll be putting in extra money all year. But I'm just stoked I get to start the savings account for my speed addiction.

We've been doing that for years at my house. Congrats! Lots of other things to save for like a house, and my 6 week old baby girl. Kinda funny how life gets in the way of the cars.

philistine
06-22-13, 11:10 PM
^ yes it is... wide open turbo spool and psssssh people look and little boys with fart cans run in fear. I want an S2000 for a track car. There is a local shop here that does some cool stuff. 700whp turbo'd cars. I want to cage it and rip up road tracks with that beautiful weight distribution.

So funny, I went to a local "cars and coffee" and took my s2k there. I was discussing the details of the s2k with another enthusiast and we started talking about issues with after market exhausts. I shared my little story about the SW install and all the sudden it was like....you have a CTS-V???? The CTS-V is always a jaw-dropper. I think next time I'm going to take the V there. I was a little embarrassed when all the riced-out s2k's started popping up and showing off their 4-million gauge pods with an NA set-up and a fart-can Invidia exhaust - ugggh!

RyRidesMotoX
06-23-13, 03:37 AM
We've been doing that for years at my house. Congrats! Lots of other things to save for like a house, and my 6 week old baby girl. Kinda funny how life gets in the way of the cars.

Yea for sure. It's hard to get car stuff done. It's my biggest hobby. Also the most expensive. I'm saving up for a wedding and a honeymoon too... So while the build is on MY priority list, it isn't on OUR priority list lol... Watcha gonna do? lol nothing haha

So funny, I went to a local "cars and coffee" and took my s2k there. I was discussing the details of the s2k with another enthusiast and we started talking about issues with after market exhausts. I shared my little story about the SW install and all the sudden it was like....you have a CTS-V???? The CTS-V is always a jaw-dropper. I think next time I'm going to take the V there. I was a little embarrassed when all the riced-out s2k's started popping up and showing off their 4-million gauge pods with an NA set-up and a fart-can Invidia exhaust - ugggh!

Lol fart cans on hondas... Hate to say it but thats the norm around here. I used to love hondas but that totally burned me out. For ever one well built honda there is a thousand that are put together like dog shit. Its too bad really.

You know its funny, my cobalt was MUCH faster than the V, it weighed less, and had more power to the ground... NO ONE ever took notice of it unless we raced and they only saw tail lights. I get compliments on the V all the time. No one believes its already almost 10 years old. I still remember all the guys coming to me at Fontana one day in the cobalt. "WHAT DO YOU HAVE IN THERE?????" was the first question every time. It was basically stock just 3 inch catless dowpipe and 3 inch exhaust, cold air intake, charge pipes and intercooler and a tune.. thats it. I was pulling 'faster' cars all day long. When they lined us up by the previous session lap times, I was going by V8 M3s, C63 AMGs, Corvettes (not Z06s LOL), mustangs, a few porsches, and an EVO9 to line up. The 3 cars I lined up behind were a GT-r took off first, a 600whp EVOX, and a beastly supercharged R32 Golf of all things haha. But going through a parking lot, not a look from anyone, nothing. So that is why I want the V to be faster... I want that feeling of going by almost anything, unless its super exotic or big money performance, and saying I could probably beat that. Hell the cobalt went door to door with a stage 3 roush mustang until we let up at 140mph on a highway roll in 'mexico' one night. Even went twice because I thought it was a fluke. I figured there was no way I could stay with him on my 91 octane tune... My E85 tune, I would have blown his doors off.

PISNUOFF
06-23-13, 10:18 AM
Damn I just got off pissnuoff's thread about his build... makes me want to run in shame cuz that thing is going to be a monster compared to mine lol. I cam frome the Cobalt SS world where I had one of the faster LNF cars on there and now I feel like such a noob haha.

Haha. Remember I'm on my third iteration of motor work, though. I ran heads and cam plus all the bolt ons for a couple years (only had the car for a month before doing that), I broke a piston at the ring land in that motor. That motor is still sitting in my garage. Then I upgraded to a forged 418 LS3 stroker for two years. That motor just ended in disaster about 8 months ago. I'm tired of messing around and worrying about what is going to break next so I'm trying the retardedly expensive route of building a lower compression 427 LSX and adding turbos next fall. It really helps to have dual income and no kids (and a fiancé that was born into a hotrod family and absolutely LOVES going fast in nice cars). I was a little upset that she disliked my buddies '68 Camaro that I just got done building a 383 stroker for but I got over it real quick when she told me to quit messing around and finish the Cadillac (aka the Fat Girl). I should be done in about 2-3 weeks with a 5 day vacation crammed into that timeframe also.

RyRidesMotoX
06-23-13, 05:02 PM
Yea I finally have 2 incomes and my fiancée's is about to double if she get a promotion next week so that is gonna be nice. She isn't really into cars yet. But I have a plan involving a Miata that I want to get for her that might change her mind. ;)

Sigfod
06-23-13, 06:26 PM
Yea for sure. It's hard to get car stuff done. It's my biggest hobby. Also the most expensive. I'm saving up for a wedding and a honeymoon too... So while the build is on MY priority list, it isn't on OUR priority list lol... Watcha gonna do? lol nothing haha

Lol fart cans on hondas... Hate to say it but thats the norm around here. I used to love hondas but that totally burned me out. For ever one well built honda there is a thousand that are put together like dog shit. Its too bad really.

You know its funny, my cobalt was MUCH faster than the V, it weighed less, and had more power to the ground... NO ONE ever took notice of it unless we raced and they only saw tail lights. I get compliments on the V all the time. No one believes its already almost 10 years old. I still remember all the guys coming to me at Fontana one day in the cobalt. "WHAT DO YOU HAVE IN THERE?????" was the first question every time. It was basically stock just 3 inch catless dowpipe and 3 inch exhaust, cold air intake, charge pipes and intercooler and a tune.. thats it. I was pulling 'faster' cars all day long. When they lined us up by the previous session lap times, I was going by V8 M3s, C63 AMGs, Corvettes (not Z06s LOL), mustangs, a few porsches, and an EVO9 to line up. The 3 cars I lined up behind were a GT-r took off first, a 600whp EVOX, and a beastly supercharged R32 Golf of all things haha. But going through a parking lot, not a look from anyone, nothing. So that is why I want the V to be faster... I want that feeling of going by almost anything, unless its super exotic or big money performance, and saying I could probably beat that. Hell the cobalt went door to door with a stage 3 roush mustang until we let up at 140mph on a highway roll in 'mexico' one night. Even went twice because I thought it was a fluke. I figured there was no way I could stay with him on my 91 octane tune... My E85 tune, I would have blown his doors off.

I still have my Fart-Can import. It is setup for Road course work and currently getting a GTX3076R turbo upgrade with all the goodies. Before the car would hunt down almost anything on the track except that Stealth Grey V1 with KWs and Hoosiers.
My V gets so much more attention. I got stopped in a parking lot today by someone who loved the car "It reminds me of my 2001 Camaro SS". I guess most people got burned out by the late 90s and early 00s and Honda Fartcan Madness. Good luck with your up-comming project.

RyRidesMotoX
06-23-13, 08:17 PM
Hey pisnuoff- since you have a lot more experience with this stuff... What do you think about the parts I am on a quest for so far? Darkman is another good resource but he hasn't chimed in yet. I keep hearing decent stuff about Lloyd Elliot as well and his stuff is less expensive. But it seems that most people go with AI or TEA for their port work. West coast cylinder heads is about an hour or so away from me also so they are an option for me. It just seems like the AI head/cam package is fairly complete and will save me a lot of leg work so to speak

PISNUOFF
06-23-13, 08:52 PM
Sounds like pretty standard stuff. Personally I go with dual valve springs instead of beehives.

philistine
06-23-13, 10:47 PM
Idk what the point of Ti retainers do for a DD. From my knowledge, the material has great strength as far as looking at a stress/strain diagram but they do not hold up well for fatigue. I know people that use them and change them out every 5k miles of track time or 15k of DD. They give higher rev protection but not a permanent install.

I asked my local speed shop about them and they use them frequently without any issues what so ever- all LS engines. I didn't get any info on how much they change out the retainers.

RyRidesMotoX
06-23-13, 11:14 PM
Sounds like pretty standard stuff. Personally I go with dual valve springs instead of beehives.

Sweet, I'll check into duals. The Lloyd Elliots come with Patriot Gold dual springs. I am still up in the air about whether to go with Lloyd Elliot porting over AI. I have heard good things about him and it's cheaper so I may go that way. I hate being undecided about stuff like that but I am just trying to balance performance with funding.

Idk what the point of Ti retainers do for a DD. From my knowledge, the material has great strength as far as looking at a stress/strain diagram but they do not hold up well for fatigue. I know people that use them and change them out every 5k miles of track time or 15k of DD. They give higher rev protection but not a permanent install.

I asked my local speed shop about them and they use them frequently without any issues what so ever- all LS engines. I didn't get any info on how much they change out the retainers.

Yea it seems like everyone is using Ti stuff. If everyone is using them on LS motors I guess I'll just roll with it. I don't hear alot of people having retainer issues with them being Ti over steel.

I'm trying to figure out if I want to tackle this on my own or not. I mean it could be a quick weekend job but doing the cam seems a bit over my mechanic skils. That, and I dont want to pull the radiator and all that stuff to get in there... seems like a huge PITA but it would save me a considerable amount of funds. The heads seem pretty straight forward... most come ready to just bolt on, the cam sketches me out cuz I don't want to screw up the timing of the cam and stuff. and I don't have the proper equipment for it. A local guy to me might be able to help me out with it (he is swapping a 5.3 back out of a WS6 and putting a LS1 back in it). He has done heads and cam on his car and a few others. But I won't undertake this shit alone, thats for sure.

philistine
06-23-13, 11:38 PM
I have a lengthy dyno session on Tuesday, I'll raise the issue again on Ti retainers and the extent of the LS6. I know that the local speedshop keeps them NA for racing.

I can tell you that their preference on any build is an iron block forged bottom for starters followed by Procharger for FI. Just an FYI...installing a Procharger is not a friendly DIY on these cars.

RyRidesMotoX
06-23-13, 11:56 PM
Oh, I'm not going to do the Blower and stuff myself. That will be a pain in the ass, screw that noise. Bolt ons and stuff is generally what I do myself. Something I could accomplish in a day. If it has to do with the lower end that definitely goes to a shop, I don't have machining equipment in the garage. Heads aren't huge, I helped my uncle with some on his 63 impala ss a long long long time ago. I can probably do them again just fine if I can find a decent write up to refresh my memory on torque spces and all the little stuff.

Let me know what your tuner says about the Ti valvetrain stuff. Would be nice to know.

philistine
06-24-13, 12:35 AM
It's actually an interesting dyno session. I'm using a local Mustang dyno and tuner for the initial setup (local speedshop, SpeedSouth) then...using Teamviewer software for tuner from OST (Outlaw Street Tuners) that will adjust all my settings remotely - all live.

The local shop is known for their LS goodness and track times at Barbers and Atlanta Speedway but they are linked to other speedshops that specialize in tuning a variety of cars, domestic and imports.

I'll get some empirical feedback on the LS6 and best direction where to put the money.

RyRidesMotoX
06-24-13, 01:21 AM
That sounds sweet. What software is tuning it? EFI live or HP?

PISNUOFF
06-24-13, 08:09 AM
Worth it's weight in rhodium.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/193249460X

RyRidesMotoX
06-24-13, 04:43 PM
Worth it's weight in rhodium.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/193249460X

I almost bought that yesterday. I might have to go ahead and do it. Can't hurt anything to have one anyways.

philistine
06-24-13, 06:12 PM
^^^ Yeah I have that book and it's a good read.

What software is tuning it? EFI live or HP?
The caddy is tuned using HP. My s2k is tuned using Hondata KproIII - formerly tuned with AEM. I ripped the old AEM out because the drivability sucked for DD. I can adjust the fuel maps fairly easily with datalogging but I'm having trouble setting the vtec transition, ignition timing, and proper cam angles. The software I have is pretty robust but I need a second pair of eyes/ears to read the knock. We're going to 25psi just to set the maps but I'm only going to boost-by-gear up to 18psi. I'm going to do quick spool so in between those shifts, the boost spikes just a little so I want it safe. I also installed a Fluidampr crank pulley for added protection.

The shop pretty much tunes with any software but they race on Barber's Speedway and Atlanta Motor Speedway with LS equipped vettes mostly.

Depending on your goals your research might show heavy investment in the LS6 is moot. Even with a better block, there is a ton of fab work to get a decent non-roots/helical screw blower. With a Procharger you can dial the boost to your tastes and load up conservative tune for DD or crap your pants tune and WOT at 750whp.

RyRidesMotoX
06-24-13, 08:33 PM
Yea I'm still uncertain about the end goals for the motor. Either way I'm going to do the heads and cam, if I end up getting into the bottom end I am going to keep the motor... Like I said, I want to try and get a Miata for the wifey. It might get a heart transplant of an LS6. If I go to a full boost setup I'll end up putting a new motor in it, depending on what's available at the time but that is a long way down the road. The LS6 is still a good motor its just not as good as the new generations of block out there. I'm not going to do anything crazy like bore and stroke it out. I'm just going to see how the heads and cam work and then go from there. I still have a stock intake path so after the heads and cam I'll try and get a used fast 92 intake and a Nick Williams tb to put on it. the rear end will have to be done at some point. I am nervous about that so I'm going to be super careful not to wheel hop it to death and just hope it holds until I have the parts for the 8.8 swap. I'm pretty much going to keep this car for the for seeable future. The depreciation seems to be leveling off and the payments are relatively cheap for me since I just got it last year for a good price.

philistine
06-24-13, 08:47 PM
That's the other option...go all out suspension and drivetrain and save the power for later. I can't launch and esp. can't clutch dump the V without wheelhop. You could start with some performance coil-overs (drop some height too), stiffen the rear cradle (delrin or Revshift), put a performance clutch (McLeod RST or RXT) and lighter flywheel, toss in a short-throw from Pissnuoff, and finally bolt on that turnkey CS 8.8 and unleash the stock power at launch.

RyRidesMotoX
06-25-13, 12:12 AM
That's the other option...go all out suspension and drivetrain and save the power for later. I can't launch and esp. can't clutch dump the V without wheelhop. You could start with some performance coil-overs (drop some height too), stiffen the rear cradle (delrin or Revshift), put a performance clutch (McLeod RST or RXT) and lighter flywheel, toss in a short-throw from Pissnuoff, and finally bolt on that turnkey CS 8.8 and unleash the stock power at launch.

Yea I am probably going to be doing that since I want to get this thing on the track days here in So. Cal. We have like 300 days out of the year that are dry and raceable. My fiancee works at a local ford dealer so I am going to get an 8.8 out of a junk yard and get some ford racing 3.83 internals for it. The upgraded ones with the carbon disks and all that. As far as suspension, the roads around here are brutal. So I am going to try and get something that will stiffen it up but won't lower it very much. So KW V3 or another coilover is going to be the selection. I am going to get the revshift stuff after the heads and cam done. McLeod is definitely my choice in clutches right now. I wish I could have been in a better financial position to buy one during the group buy but being as we just had a baby, that wasn't possible. I'll basically try to what I can myself but we shall see how that all goes. Right now I am just trying to save up to get all my other financial obligations out of the way. Wedding and honeymoon first then the car hopefully will get some go fast goodies. I want some more power though, the suspension still feels fairly tight. The diff doesn't whine very bad at all. I do have some parade clunk but I'm fairly certain that new bushings will clear it up. I can kind of feel the clutch chatter a bit when everything is cold. Since I don't get off work til like 3 am everyday, that is pretty much daily. So when I get the clutch and bushings/mounts I'll try to get that all done at once.

Heads and cam first though. ;)

OneFast V
06-25-13, 08:08 PM

Titanium is stronger per unit mass. they will be lighter. And some alloys (Ti-6Al-4V for example) of titanium do indeed have a fatigue/endurance limit (generally 50-60% YS) and therefore if operating conditions do not exceed their rated endurance limit they will last forever.

philistine
06-26-13, 03:06 AM
^^^Yeah the feedback I got was on their race cars, they do routine valve maintenance and retainers along with parts are disassembled and inspected and replaced as necessary. For track duty they only use Ti retainers.

To touch on the roots/helical (or any other positive displacement blower), the battle with high IATs are unfavorable and they do not prefer them. They instead recommend a Procharger.

My s2k street tune made 400whp @18psi on a Mustang dyno using Hondata Kpro III. It was a 5 hour session - vtec transition was a bitch! I had 530whp on this same car previously and it was impossible to handle @25psi boost and using the AEM engine management system (dyno jet numbers). I'm very happy with the new tune and it is so much more street friendly!

It was hilarious taking my import to a LS specialty shop and remotely tuning via Teamviewer with another shop that specializes in tuning and Mopar. One of the techs is converting an s2k with an LS1 - I have no idea how that will perform against an FI s2k. Btw, my torque was horrible barely able to reach 300lb-ft - yuck!

liqidvenom
06-26-13, 03:28 AM
Haha. Remember I'm on my third iteration of motor work, though. I ran heads and cam plus all the bolt ons for a couple years (only had the car for a month before doing that), I broke a piston at the ring land in that motor. That motor is still sitting in my garage. Then I upgraded to a forged 418 LS3 stroker for two years. That motor just ended in disaster about 8 months ago. I'm tired of messing around and worrying about what is going to break next so I'm trying the retardedly expensive route of building a lower compression 427 LSX and adding turbos next fall. It really helps to have dual income and no kids (and a fiancé that was born into a hotrod family and absolutely LOVES going fast in nice cars). I was a little upset that she disliked my buddies '68 Camaro that I just got done building a 383 stroker for but I got over it real quick when she told me to quit messing around and finish the Cadillac (aka the Fat Girl). I should be done in about 2-3 weeks with a 5 day vacation crammed into that timeframe also.she just likes being in a faster car than my wife lol

RyRidesMotoX
06-26-13, 04:07 PM
^^^Yeah the feedback I got was on their race cars, they do routine valve maintenance and retainers along with parts are disassembled and inspected and replaced as necessary. For track duty they only use Ti retainers.

To touch on the roots/helical (or any other positive displacement blower), the battle with high IATs are unfavorable and they do not prefer them. They instead recommend a Procharger.

My s2k street tune made 400whp @18psi on a Mustang dyno using Hondata Kpro III. It was a 5 hour session - vtec transition was a bitch! I had 530whp on this same car previously and it was impossible to handle @25psi boost and using the AEM engine management system (dyno jet numbers). I'm very happy with the new tune and it is so much more street friendly!

It was hilarious taking my import to a LS specialty shop and remotely tuning via Teamviewer with another shop that specializes in tuning and Mopar. One of the techs is converting an s2k with an LS1 - I have no idea how that will perform against an FI s2k. Btw, my torque was horrible barely able to reach 300lb-ft - yuck!

So the consensus on Ti stuff is not good for daily drivers then? The main thing I want is daily reliability.

What turbo do you have? The stock turbo on the cobalt was getting more torque than horsepower. The aftermarket turbos all flowed differently and created more HP than torque.

philistine
06-26-13, 05:17 PM
The Ti stuff is perfect for DD is what I got out of it. For racing, they inspect for cracks and change the retainers out periodically - LS based engines.

On the s2k I have a Precision 6152 (journal bearing type) attached to a log style manifold. The log manifold is a fun street manifold where you spool up incredibly fast but it is NO dyno queen. My injector duty was 59% using ID1000s and 340lph fuel pump.

RyRidesMotoX
06-26-13, 06:00 PM
Oh ok gotcha... The cobalt had a log manifold also and a twin scroll turbo... That twin scroll is why it made so much torque everywhere. I bet the VTEC has something to do with it not making torque. It seems like Hondas are so darn peaky up top. There has to be some way to level it out. Our cam timing on the cobalt was across the entire rpm range. You can see VTEC kick in on a Honda... You need it to kick in at like 1000rpm. That would be sweet.

philistine
06-26-13, 06:17 PM
Haha yeah the vtec transition took the longest...it's a different cam, fuel maps, ignition tables etc. It had to be set high for this style manifold @7k rpm. The tuner can't choose where to set it...it's all feedback and you can only do it looking at the torque curves on a dyno. These cars are fragile in the same way the CTS-V is under boost...clutch, rear-end, axles. The guys running a more aggressive manifold have to convert to a 8.8 set-up for the added torque and go with a Supra transmission because like all Hondas...2nd gear is weak!

RyRidesMotoX
06-26-13, 06:40 PM
Yea I always hear how awesome the S2k is and I want one but it would turn into another money pit for me... And I can only afford 1 at a time lol.

philistine
06-26-13, 07:26 PM
Here is a dyno print just before the tuner was making fine adjustments. This file was uploaded to him so he could see the graph while he was making changes to the tune remotely using Teamviewer software. He had it in open loop and taking datalogs of every WOT pull. This graph is close to where we finished...the final is smoother (I didn't get a copy of the final print) and just a tad over 400whp, 4th gear pulls. At this point the tuner was adjusting all the upper tables...vtec etc.

http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t404/jaysenbaker/ss_s2k_dyno_zps97fc92d3.jpg (http://s1058.photobucket.com/user/jaysenbaker/media/ss_s2k_dyno_zps97fc92d3.jpg.html)

OneFast V
06-26-13, 07:31 PM
So the consensus on Ti stuff is not good for daily drivers then? The main thing I want is daily reliability.

What turbo do you have? The stock turbo on the cobalt was getting more torque than horsepower. The aftermarket turbos all flowed differently and created more HP than torque.

I'm running Ti retainer on my V and while i don't DD it anymore i definitely used to.

philistine
06-26-13, 07:39 PM
I'm running Ti retainer on my V and while i don't DD it anymore i definitely used to.

Yeah, this has me thinking I have to upgrade my valve train. There was a C5 corvette getting prepped for FI and the shop tech had a fit when he was listening to the noisy lifters. It has 103k miles...my CTS-V has 73k miles and my heads sounds just like his. There was a Mallet CTS-V there with blown lifters and 2 burned cylinders getting prepped to rip the block out.

RyRidesMotoX
06-26-13, 08:04 PM
Sweet well I guess Ti stuff is fine then

Here is what I'm looking at as far as heads go. Probably have him send me one of his matching cams. With that combo $1350 +shipping I only have to worry about lifters, pushrods, lifter trays, timing set, oil pump and gaskets. I could probably get it all do e for under $2k... So I'm gonna go that route.

http://elliottsportworks.com/?page_id=59[COLOR="Silver"]

philistine
06-26-13, 08:28 PM
How do these compare with AFR?

RyRidesMotoX
06-26-13, 08:39 PM
Well I have to send my stockers in so they are just ported 243 castings but I'm not going for HUGE power. I'm sure the AFR heads are better. But they are quite a bit more and you don't get a cam with them, or any of the other parts in the heads Lloyd Elliot is putting in. Sure some of what he is using is stock stuff but it is fully assembled. And that makes it easier for guys like me to just toss em on lol.

RyRidesMotoX
06-27-13, 09:57 PM
Well this build might be on hold... Me and some friends are thinking about entering in some 24 hours of Lemons races next year. So I am currently weighing my options as far as the build goes vs doing the lemons race.

philistine
06-28-13, 12:42 AM
Haha, yeah explore your interests. Just a FYI, the guy who sold me my CTS-V was big into racing and bought a Miata as replacement. I think I read a post where someone said their CTS-V was their summer car - I'm like WTF??? snow state I guess. Anyway, get back on the track and enjoy some laps!

RyRidesMotoX
06-28-13, 01:16 AM
Yea nothing is better than putting laps on a car that you don't give a damn about. Just toss it into corners with no regard for human life because you are strapped into a 5 point harness and a racing bucket, protected by a full cage. LOL

RyRidesMotoX
06-28-13, 02:48 AM
I have been finding some real gems on craigslist... Perfect for the race, even a few that run!!! (Supposedly) I have been laughing my ass off looking for cheapo cars all night. It's funny as hell. I mean the fact that some people are desparate for money is kinda sad but the cars are awesome

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/3816133920.html

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/3899453475.html "needs a head gasket" LOL

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/3894470916.html

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/3890911336.html No motor/trans but it would be sweet if one could find a setup to go in it

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/3827076221.html

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/3882213713.html after we are done destroying it, I can always yank the rear end if it's an 8.8

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/3831400801.html I bet I can negotiate the motor and trans for this thing for the $500... probably stolen but whatever... It will only see the race

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/3817673527.html not sure what this includes but old bugs are easy to work on, and cheapish

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/3882653143.html this one is just awesome with the lights

PISNUOFF
06-28-13, 11:47 AM
Yea nothing is better than putting laps on a car that you don't give a damn about. Just toss it into corners with no regard for human life because you are strapped into a 5 point harness and a racing bucket, protected by a full cage. LOL

I do this with my 1976 Datsun 280Z. TONS of fun.

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l586/bruckde/00531f77.jpg

philistine
06-28-13, 03:39 PM
^^^sweet car! I had a 78 Datsun 280z and it was a blast. I had to reinforce the frame and the floor pans were rotted out but a little welding fixed it right up.

RyRidesMotoX
06-28-13, 08:37 PM
I'll give you $500 for that Datsun... Lol kidding. Anyone else ever run these lemons races?

PISNUOFF
06-28-13, 10:15 PM
^^^^^ times 8 and it's yours.

philistine
06-29-13, 02:17 AM
I had to google lemon race - basically get a lemon and drive it through a 24hr endurance race???

RyRidesMotoX
06-29-13, 03:24 AM
^^^^^ times 8 and it's yours.

I wish. My mom's cousin has a bitchin 510 I have been eyeballing forever. All original with the datsun livery like yours.

I had to google lemon race - basically get a lemon and drive it through a 24hr endurance race???

Yea basically. You race 12 hours on Saturday then fix your car and race 12 hours on Sunday. In a beat down old rust bucket. And you can only spend $500 on the car (not including safety items). Basically is keeps people like me from entering in a 1000whp twin turbo viper or somethign stupid and walking away with it. Should be fun though. I mean when is the last time anyone here threw a car into corners with reckless abandon? Well besides Brian anyways lol... by the way, you stay away from my lemon pisnuoff... I dont want it to break itsellf in fear that you are going to hop behind the wheel LOLOL

thebigjimsho
06-30-13, 12:23 AM
How bout $2500 for that Z?

philistine
06-30-13, 12:25 AM
Sounds like fun but I think I did this in high school. I had a cheap car, drove it all day Friday and Saturday and tossed it around all over the barren roads. It was a 1980 Mustang with a straight 6 and C4 crap-@ss transmission. I tossed in a couple 12" Stillwater Kickers in the hatch and macked, lol.

philistine
07-05-13, 10:28 PM
Ok...the TT thread turned my head big time. I'm now seeking to build this thing for 650whp. I have ignored the LS6 potential-so now I'm hunting for the FI build to cut cost.

I gotta yank this thing out within the next 4 months and have a reliable build to put back in. I'm going to replace the heads and intake. Fun, fun, fun!

RyRidesMotoX
07-07-13, 12:47 AM
There is no reason you can't do 650whp with a good lower end in an LS6. It's all in the tuning and the little things, like heat control of the intake charge, coolant, get a good oil cooler, engine and trans mounts, clutch... hell I'd be more worried about the rear end than anything.

philistine
07-07-13, 01:17 AM
Yeah, building a bottom end is my new DIY learning curve. On the F20C Honda, it was piece of cake...total awesome block, just bolt on crap and make tons of power worry-free.

I'm lamenting at my learning curve digging into a LS block. I'm confident I can yank it out, I just need to find a reputable machine shop to do the work and assemble the rotating assembly with all the goodies that I don't know yet. I've been looking at Texas Speed pricing.

The $500 lemon race sounds like more fun.

RyRidesMotoX
07-07-13, 04:41 AM
We just found a early 90s trans am with an lt1, a t56 and the hope that it's just a blown head gasket......... $300 hopefully picking it up this week. I'm smiling from east top ear right now. The current owner is going on deployment in 2 weeks, found oil in the coolant and just wants to get rid of it. Win win... I may end up buying the car from the team later on. Hell it would be an awesome track day beater or a transplant recipient. Leave the trans, new rear end, LS7? Lol

philistine
07-07-13, 07:00 PM
If it's just a head gasket, that isn't a bad price. I bet the interior has that junk-yard vinyl smell along with some sagging doors - a good lemon :yup:

RyRidesMotoX
07-07-13, 08:19 PM
If it's just a head gasket, that isn't a bad price. I bet the interior has that junk-yard vinyl smell along with some sagging doors - a good lemon :yup:

Its a perfect lemon lol... We are going to gut it anyways and put a cage and a racing seat cuz thems the rules.

philistine
07-07-13, 09:37 PM
Yeah I got some feedback on a few who did some of those races...have to watch out for break-downs esp. coming over a hill.

This kinda reminds me of last years auto-x with the CTS-V. The Sti Subi crashed hard in a ditch when it failed to make an aggressive turn during a high speed straight. After a 30 minute delay I was next. I did fine until the spot the Sti crashed...I hit the brakes too early and accidentally turned on my blinker. Oh...the announcer was all over me stopping for groceries etc.

RyRidesMotoX
07-07-13, 10:30 PM
Gotta watch out for that subie understeer

trukk
07-09-13, 02:18 PM
FYI ... ChumpCar > Lemons ... for me

Chump is racing with some ocasional partying
Lemons is partying with some ocasional racing

Check out my thread on Chump:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-performance/267929-ot-vir-24-chumpcar-report.html

-Chris

RyRidesMotoX
07-09-13, 04:28 PM
FYI ... ChumpCar > Lemons ... for me

Chump is racing with some ocasional partying
Lemons is partying with some ocasional racing

Check out my thread on Chump:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-performance/267929-ot-vir-24-chumpcar-report.html

-Chris

That's exactly why we want to do lemons... ;) lol

trukk
07-09-13, 05:13 PM
That's exactly why we want to do lemons... ;) lol

HAHA...you need to come and really race sometimes. There are some crazy fast cars in chump. A Z32 nissan put down a 2:17 on VIR full last summer. Pretty damned fast for "$500" car.

-Chris

RyRidesMotoX
07-09-13, 06:27 PM
Haha I would love to really race in a spec miata class or maybe build the V for NASA races. But for note I can't afford that until I either open my own business's or win the lottery. The other reason is that lemons is closer to my area. I have checked chump car and I would like to do that as well. But we gotta start somewhere.

trukk
07-09-13, 08:32 PM
Spec Pinata, and the other NASA sprint races. Spend a bunch of money to crash up your car, or be non competitive.

Come rent a seat in chump. For about $800 bucks you can probably get at least 4 hours of wheel to wheel race time over a weekend at a track like VIR, Watkins Glenn, Daytona, Road Atlanta (etc. ad nauseam).

-Chris

RyRidesMotoX
07-09-13, 08:39 PM
For $800 we are going to have our own car hopefully... 6 guys $600= 3600 covers roll cage, safety equipment, brakes, wheels/tires, gas... Etc etc. Plus I'm on the west coast. I would LOVE to race at Daytona and VIR, Road Atlanta, hell so many good tracks out there. There are a few good ones here. I think chump car goes to Laguna Seca. So if/when we do it, should be fun. But we are gonna do lemons first since its closer and therefore easier to get everyone to

Ah miatas are cheap and fun who cares... There is a shop here that I would have race prep it so the CAR is competitive... No promises I would be lol. I think I could hold my own.