: New Winter Tires

Barca10128
01-24-05, 10:28 PM
Two weeks ago, I spoke with TireRack.com about possible snow tires for the V. They recommended that I try the 245/45VR-18 Pirelli Winter 240 SnowSport XL. This morning I had them Installed and put about 50-75 miles on them on wet, dry and packed-snow pavement. Also, it was about 5 degrees when I left the installer.

I can report that there is a huge difference in drivability under these conditions and I am very happy with the purchase. Of course, I will report later with a longer-term review. As an aside, I am very happy with the F1s when the weather is dry and warm.

CVP33
01-24-05, 10:31 PM
I am very happy with the F1s when the weather is dry and warm.

Well there goes your credibility. Just torkin' ya.

Barca10128
01-24-05, 10:37 PM
Well there goes your credibility. Just torkin' ya. Trust me, I expected that (most likely why I threw it in).

rand49er
01-24-05, 10:45 PM
The F1s are terrible in snow. If I may ask, what did the Pirellis set you back?

Barca10128
01-24-05, 11:25 PM
The F1s are terrible in snow. If I may ask, what did the Pirellis set you back? $780. I found the F1s all but undrivable in the snow.

rand49er
01-24-05, 11:40 PM
Whew! Those must be great tires. Don't know if I could get that one by my wife. But, it is a "safety" issue, isn't it? Yeah, that'll sell it. Thanks!

01-24-05, 11:48 PM
Whew! Those must be great tires. Don't know if I could get that one by my wife. But, it is a "safety" issue, isn't it? Yeah, that'll sell it. Thanks!

That's a HECK of a lot cheaper than replacing the F1's! The cheapest that I have found have been about $135 for Korean Hanook's (sp?), and I know nothing about them. All the name brands start at $180, and if you want runflats then expect to spend north of $250...and that's discounted prices with no mounting or balancing

trukk
01-26-05, 12:10 PM
I just bought my car last week. During our test drive, (with me and my wife), the moronic sales guy, starts talking about how crappy the car handles in bad weather, even refering to it as 'the silver sled' in snow.

Needless to say this did not make my wife happy. I'm thinking of pulling the F1's off and putting on some all weather tires, to give her some peive of mind.

I'm thinking about selling them. When I go to sell, they will probabaly have about 1k easy break-in miles on them. Has anyone sold thier F1's like this? What is the best sales strategy? Sell them via e-bay as a set, or individually?

Thanks,

Chris

01-26-05, 12:25 PM
I just bought my car last week. During our test drive, (with me and my wife), the moronic sales guy, starts talking about how crappy the car handles in bad weather, even refering to it as 'the silver sled' in snow.

Needless to say this did not make my wife happy. I'm thinking of pulling the F1's off and putting on some all weather tires, to give her some peive of mind.

I'm thinking about selling them. When I go to sell, they will probabaly have about 1k easy break-in miles on them. Has anyone sold thier F1's like this? What is the best sales strategy? Sell them via e-bay as a set, or individually?

Thanks,

Chris

They are completely worthless. Maybe $100 plus shipping. Sell them to me. I'll give you $200....(smile); and you are local, I thinnk, so you don;t even need to worry about shipping......

trukk
01-26-05, 03:35 PM
Heh,

I'd love to sell to a forum member, especially a local one :) What do you think a fair price is?

-Chris

01-26-05, 03:53 PM
Heh,

I'd love to sell to a forum member, especially a local one :) What do you think a fair price is?

-Chris

fair is no fun. Only real steals.....

Honestly I have no idea what a fair price is. Fair price is probably directly proportional to their value to you divided by their value to me, plus one-half of the difference. I am not desperate for tires nor particularly in love with the F1's, so I may not be your best customer (in other words I wouldn't pay too much for them). I would buy a spare set of F1's for big savings.

pm me if you want to talk further on this topic; moderator will lock this thread if it becomes an online negotiation. Your best bet for a fair price may be to list them in the classified section of this forum, or on eBay....

You also may want to get the new tires and ride them for a while to make sure that you don't still want the f1's.....

Doug

Redline CTS-V
01-26-05, 05:03 PM
Heh,

-Chris

Chris

I'd be interested too... I can't PM but you can e-mail me at redline_cts_v@yahoo.com

Thanks

thebigjimsho
01-27-05, 05:42 PM
I think if you had an F1 with 95% of its tread, or at least 90%, I think many here would spend $150-200 per. Why undercut yourself? Give it a try. I paid the full $338 for a new F1 in July for my cross-country trip to use as a spare.

And people, there are NO Max Performance tires that will not send you into a snow bank. So please stop trying to drive in the snow unless you get different tires. That's like putting Barry Sanders on the offensive line and saying he's a horrible football player because he can't block Warren Sapp.