: 4.9 flooding when shut off

alfred4244
05-30-13, 10:49 PM
1992 seville runs great. Shut it off and a short time later it starts hard (flooded) Anybody? Thanks in advance.

alfred4244
06-04-13, 12:56 PM
Well, I guess no one has any suggestions.:duck:

cadillac_al
06-04-13, 01:54 PM
The most obvious answer would be a leaking injector(s). I have been lucky not to have to deal with injector issues on any of my cars yet so I don't have first hand experience with the symptoms. Does it puff black smoke or blubber once it starts?

alfred4244
06-04-13, 09:59 PM
That is exactly what it does. Then after a few minutes of running it smooths right out. Till the next time. I figured it was probably an injector (dirty). I think it is TBI and for sure not multiport. I'm wondering if the injuctor can be taken apart and cleaned? I could try I guess

drewsdeville
06-05-13, 01:16 PM
This is typically a torn fuel pressure regulator diaphragm. Disconnect the vacuum hose to it and check for any wetness or fuel odor. There should be none. If there is, replace the regulator.

alfred4244
06-05-13, 10:53 PM
The pressure regulator is a thought but she runs puurfect once started and I see no service engine light lit. But I suppose its a possability. I would think that if I look into the throttle body and see if anything is dripping after shutoff should tell me if its an injector. But yes, the pressure regulator is surely another possability. If its the P R, it gets replaced but if its an injector, Can it be taken apart and cleaned?

cadillac_al
06-05-13, 10:56 PM
The regulator is easy to check. It's worth the 30 seconds to rule it out.

alfred4244
06-06-13, 05:09 PM
Well, I guess Drewsdeville Is right. I pulled the vacumm hose and it has gas in it allright. So the PR must be the culprit. I also noticed the engine has 8 injectors to my supprise. And yet they call it "Port Fuel Injection". I have a 3.1 Cutlass Supreme and on that, they call it "Multy Port Fuel Injection" I wonder what the difference is? Both appear the same to me. Thank you both for the help, it saves me a lot of time. I will change the PR and let you know how it goes. My next question is going to be about the CCR struts. So I will start a new post. I am not sure where to post it yet ??:hmm::highfive:

alfred4244
06-13-13, 04:53 PM
Changed the PR and she rums purfect now. :yup: