: Headers, and North Carolina DMV\DOT inspections

lite-em_up
05-30-13, 08:33 PM
Hi,

I've looked around regarding headers and haven't found anything specific to NC, if it's out there already I do apologize.

Does anyone have experience with a V2 running headers (with hi-flo cats) and passing the annual NC DOT inspections? The mechanics I have asked say that it's rolling the dice, but if the 02 sensors are "functioning" it should pass ODB-II (but might fail emissions). And with the visual inspection, you might get some kid that won't even look or the guy who wants to take the whole car apart. I am moving from CA to NC in August and will need to pass inspection by fall '14. It's a 2012 sedan so I obviously haven't done a smog here, but would fail for sure. Any info would be appreciated, thanks !

SLOWBRA
05-30-13, 11:45 PM
Where in NC are you moving? I've lived in the burb's of Raleigh for 12 years and I've yet to see any inspection shop look under the car or under the hood. If the ODB II scan is clear and all safety stuff is good then you won't have an issue.

lite-em_up
05-31-13, 11:01 AM
Thank you for the reply. We are moving to Union County, just out of Ballantyne. Do you know if they do a OD scan and an emissions test? Truthfully its the emissions part that worries me, but I have read conflicting info on exactly what tests are run, and it may depend on the county.

RippyPartsDept
05-31-13, 12:18 PM
NC only checks the OBDII ... no actual emissions monitoring

if your check engine light is off (and all or most systems are in the ready state) then you will pass

thebigjimsho
05-31-13, 10:06 PM
NC only checks the OBDII ... no actual emissions monitoring

if your check engine light is off (and all or most systems are in the ready state) then you will pass

Same in MA. Passed with a catless V1 and hi-flow catted V2...

lite-em_up
06-02-13, 04:49 AM
Thank you gentlemen, for the clarification.

RudyR1999
06-02-13, 09:18 AM
I'm a Charlotte resident. NC requires OBDII and visual check.

Purevil
06-04-13, 09:26 PM
Fayetteville here, NC has removed the visual check from the inspections. Only have to pass OBD test now!

PNBLWZD
06-09-13, 02:31 PM
How do you pass smog here in CA? It's the same thing really. Long tubes are typically all illegal for highway use in CA, unless they have a CARB # (which I've never seen on long tubes) and they usually relocate the 02 sensors from the stock position in the system which the state frowns on. Between stock manifods and headers you shouldn't have much of any difference in emissions, it's the visual that could be an issue depensing where you take it and how pickey they are.