: Attempt 9- 72 Hours smoke free

Stoneage_Caddy
01-24-05, 04:36 PM
Stopped Smoking friday night still going strong today . Only used 4 peices of Niccorette gum since friday ....Game plan this time was the work on the chemicals first then the mental side. Since i heard it takes 24-36 hours to remove nicotine from the system i decided to try to not even use the gum in order to get the nicotine out. Sunday i got a little modivation from johnny carson to keep up the good work as he died from smoking.

so far so good , im not really craveing,stressing or anything .....Worst part is at work ...where i keep thinking "oh beatter go burn one its 3pm"..then i remember i quit ....Big diffrence this time is i no longer run with the crowd that smokes . Had a huge fight with that group after finding out about there little indiscretion going on ......

I got a good vibe about it this time .....

BeelzeBob
01-24-05, 04:47 PM
I'm glad to hear you're trying! My younger Brother made a website about quitting smoking.. A free e-book, actually. www.quit4good.com

Ralph
01-24-05, 07:44 PM
Ya, but Carson died at 79! If you want an example, my dad died at 50 and his lungs were so black the x-ray barely showed anything!

Cigs can also kill you by dropping one in the car, you go looking for it while driving and next thing you know you look up and your kissing the grille of a Kenworth! :D

Hang in there! :)

Elvis
01-25-05, 10:28 AM
Hang in there Stoney! You can do it!

Cold Turkey on nicotine is admirable, but it wasn't for me. Seven months later I'm still on the gum. I take a razor blade and cut 2mg pieces into thirds. Next week I start cutting them into fourths. After that I'll try mixing in regular gum.

So don't be afraid to O.D. on gum. It kills the physical cravings, keeps you "regular," and that way all you're fighting is a mental habit.

Drink A LOT of water. The swallowing reflex and breathing pattern is similar to the inhalation of smoke as far as the muscles go. That's one of the habits you will have an urge to duplicate.

Also take deep breaths and hold them as long as you can. Try to stretch your lungs. You might get a little light-headed, and that's similar to the "rush" you get from a good hit off of a cigarette. This is a brief relaxation technique that might get you through a crisis.

Good luck and don't be afraid to ask for support. Quitting is the best thing I've done in my life in the past five years. It gave me confidence, a feeling of freedom, and makes a lot of other things possible that weren't before.

I was a slave to nicotine and didn't even realize it. I went along willingly never realizing that I had the power to quit all along. All I needed was a little bit of success quitting, then I got momentum. You will too if you stick with it.

lux hauler
01-25-05, 10:39 AM
Keep up the good work, SC!
I smoked for 17 years.....a pack to a pack and a half a day. I woke up Monday, November 22 and decided I'd had enough and that was it....I quite. Some people need gum, others candy or maybe medication. I chose cold turkey. It hasn't been easy but here it is, two months later and still no cigarettes. If I can do it, others can too.
You can beat the habit and again, keep up the good work.

Stoneage_Caddy
01-25-05, 11:21 AM
thanks guys , still doin great ...not many cravings ....still just trying to change my schedual ...im a creature of habit , i do the same things every day . It used to be so bad i had to have my turkey sandwich right at 11am ....so thats the worst part , i keep thinking at the top fo every hour im supposed to do something ....i think after a month ill be ok .....

If anyone has ever seen "rain man" youll understand how i live ....whopners gonna be on in ten minutes ....definately...definately... ten minutes

Elvis
01-25-05, 03:34 PM
Kmart sucks.

airbalancer
01-25-05, 06:05 PM
You can do it!
Quit in 1987 and never had a puff since

Stoneage_Caddy
01-25-05, 08:00 PM
You can do it!
Quit in 1987 and never had a puff since

thats friggin awesome ....well its 72+24 now .....whats that like 96?

Elvis
01-26-05, 09:50 AM
It's time to stop counting hours and start counting days.

The first big hurdle is the third hour, then the third day, then the third week.

Hang on, you can do it!

Daniel Almestica
01-26-05, 10:18 AM
good for you and your family. keep it up!

lux hauler
01-27-05, 12:21 AM
Well......?

Stoneage_Caddy
01-27-05, 12:24 AM
still runnin strong ....little bit harder today ....bad drivers stressing me out ...2 peices of niccorette gum instead of one ...not bad concidering 6 days ago i was close to a pack a day

evilrussian
01-27-05, 12:56 AM
I quit like 7 years ago cold turkey, was working in a taxicab shop then, I'd flip out and throw a wrench across the yard every 10 mins or so that day... :cookoo: Came home, had dinner, remembered that I had a pack upstairs, ran up in my room and smashed that pack up, felt better after... Well after a week the urge was gone, no patches no gum, didn't have to. Pretty damn good, considering that I'd smoke 2 packs a day, more still on weekends.

lux hauler
01-27-05, 10:00 AM
still runnin strong ....little bit harder today ....bad drivers stressing me out ...2 peices of niccorette gum instead of one ...not bad concidering 6 days ago i was close to a pack a day
:thumbsup:

Stoneage_Caddy
01-27-05, 11:14 AM
I quit like 7 years ago cold turkey, was working in a taxicab shop then, I'd flip out and throw a wrench across the yard every 10 mins or so that day... :cookoo: Came home, had dinner, remembered that I had a pack upstairs, ran up in my room and smashed that pack up, felt better after... Well after a week the urge was gone, no patches no gum, didn't have to. Pretty damn good, considering that I'd smoke 2 packs a day, more still on weekends.

man if thats how well it can work then i outta be doing great by sunday ...then again itll be a week tomorrow night ....

had to call in sick to work today , sick to my stomach ....wonder if it has to do with the quitting

ShadowLvr400
01-28-05, 11:12 AM
Hows it going at this point Stoneage?

Stoneage_Caddy
01-28-05, 11:15 AM
10 hours untill its offically 7 days ...still runnin strong ....i quit 9pm last friday

14 days till the three week mark

D148L0
01-28-05, 11:34 AM
Good job, Stoney...

Stoneage_Caddy
01-31-05, 02:07 PM
over a week now , still running strong ...

keep having dreams of "restarting smoking"...i feel terrible that i started again and tell myself one wont hurt ....then i wake up ......werid eh ?

Stoneage_Caddy
02-07-05, 01:38 PM
Elivs , 3 weeks dude ! well over now ..it was 3 weeks 3 days ago

Elvis
02-07-05, 02:12 PM
Elivs , 3 weeks dude ! well over now ..it was 3 weeks 3 days ago

:yup: You did it! :thumbsup:

Congrats! :D

Kev
02-07-05, 02:22 PM
I quit smoking in 1974 and I still have dreams, once in a while, where I am smoking. But that's all they are, just dreams.
Keep up the good work!

Kev

Elvis
02-08-05, 10:30 AM
I just realized that I'm passing the 8 month mark.

I still chew the gum, but I'm cutting 2mg pieces down to 1/4th. I could probably give it up or just switch to regular gum, but I still have about 50 full pieces left.

I think I'm taking in about 5mg of nicotine a day, which is WAY down from the 32mg I was chewing in August. I have NO desire to light anything and inhale.

Stoneage_Caddy
02-08-05, 11:20 AM
32mg ???? damn your doing good all things concidered ....

havent had any gum in 9 days ...ocasionally some sunflower seeds or pistachios ..but thats more for fun .....

Under a hell of alot of stress and i havent buckled yet ......i think smoking tought me to walk outside when ive had enough of people .....i used to tell people i smoked for stress relif ...probably wouldnt have ever started if i woulda known just sitting outside takes care of it .....

This weekend will be the first ive worked on a car without smoking ...sevreal jobs to do , replace allf our brake rotors , new TPS , possibly a new power antenna if i can find one ....

Elvis
02-08-05, 03:00 PM
32mg ???? damn your doing good all things concidered ....

This weekend will be the first ive worked on a car without smoking ...sevreal jobs to do , replace allf our brake rotors , new TPS , possibly a new power antenna if i can find one ....

I was probably only getting 20mg a day when I was smoking. I needed to up the intake to 32 to get through the fits, then wean myself.

Doing work like that on a car makes smoking very enjoyable when you take a break. I haven't waxed mine but once since I quit. I used to spend hours in the garage during the winter. I didn't smoke those cigars in the house, so the garage was a nice place to be.

My wife said she was quitting tomorrow. I'll believe that when I see it. I'm sure my house will be a bundle of laughs for the next several weeks. Maybe it will make her horny. Who knows?

Kev
02-08-05, 03:01 PM
My wife said she was quitting tomorrow. I'll believe that when I see it. I'm sure my house will be a bundle of laughs for the next several weeks. Maybe it will make her horny. Who knows?
Dare to dream....

Kev

Elvis
02-08-05, 03:02 PM
Dare to dream....

Kev

You sound just like my wife.

Kev
02-08-05, 03:04 PM
You sound just like my wife.
I feel your pain.

Kev

Kev
02-08-05, 03:06 PM
Sounds like 'Priscilla' needs a little sweet talkin'?

Kev

Stoneage_Caddy
02-08-05, 03:14 PM
Ahh yes the "victory" cigaraette ....nothing like lighting up after getting the car to run again ....did that every time for 5 years ....when i worked fleet vehicles that was at least a pack a day affiar

a Victory beer is taking the place nicely.....

as for the wife and quitting .....im gonna put my lunch money on you and the couch spending alot more time together then her "needing" anyting you "offer"

Kev
02-08-05, 03:17 PM
Ooh! That's gotta hurt!

Kev

Stoneage_Caddy
02-08-05, 03:28 PM
lol .....sorry elivs , i tell it like it is ....had a Ex girlfirend that quit smoking (because of me)..

she was bi polar to begin with but that really made it bad ...ended the relationship in fact .....you know i bet id find more stable women at mental hospitals instaed of autoparts stores and online chatrooms

Stoneage_Caddy
02-16-05, 01:30 PM
over 4 weeks , closeing in on 5 ....

Kev
02-16-05, 02:00 PM
over 4 weeks , closeing in on 5 ....
Way to go Stoney! Keep up the good work man!
We're all rootin for you!

Kev

CharBroiled
02-16-05, 04:06 PM
Go Stoney! :)

When I quit I used Pretzel rods as a substitute.. even held them like a cigarette sorta.. went through a package a day and gained weight but I made it 6 years.. Then started up again via stupidity.. maybe its time to try again.

After 2-3 weeks it gets easier as I recall.

Stoneage_Caddy
02-16-05, 04:24 PM
yup it does get easier as time goes on.....

Elvis
02-17-05, 05:22 PM
yup it does get easier as time goes on.....

Hang in there Stoney.

And as far as my wife goes--she's cut way back but I can still smell smoke on her every now and then. We had a couple of 70-degree days here early this week and I know she was out on the back porch burning a few.

I told her that it was like learning how to ride a bike. You have to fall off a few times before you get the hang of it.

slk230mb
02-17-05, 07:56 PM
Keep up the good work Stoney.... :)

Adumb
02-19-05, 10:04 PM
i understand the creature of habit thing. that is me big time. i quit smoking october 9th. i had only smoked for about 8 or 9 months, so it doesnt compare but, i did it cold turkey too.

Elvis
02-21-05, 09:42 AM
The wife starts her new job today, she says a change in her routine will help matters. I don't think she's cheated more than five times in the past two weeks. It's just like riding a bike--you fall down a lot at first, but then you go a little farther each time you try.

It sure would be nice to have a smoke-free environment. Now if I can just work on my old man and get him to quit, we'll have a trifecta.

Stoneage_Caddy
02-21-05, 08:40 PM
would it be wrong to smoke a cigar ?

just curious , i used to do that every friday before i started smoking ciggarettes regualrly....or maybe thats how this all started ....

Just thought that be a nice friday thing ....maybe ill make it steak day instaed

Elvis
02-21-05, 10:49 PM
Definitely steak, not stogie.

I quit cigarettes in 1996 and went to cigars about four months later. It only took me another eight years to quit cigars.

Stoneage_Caddy
03-17-05, 02:52 PM
2 months ....i think ..started jan 20th ....

slk230mb
03-17-05, 02:54 PM
Congrats.

Ralph
03-17-05, 03:08 PM
Hang in there!! Any cigars??

Stoneage_Caddy
03-17-05, 03:10 PM
Hang in there!! Any cigars??
AHHH you got me ...im busted .....had one about 3 weeks ago .... :histeric:

oh well ...cigarette free ...at least ...lol

Adumb
03-17-05, 03:16 PM
for me it was more of habit than addiction. i am a fidgety person, and smoking was perfect for that.

Kev
03-17-05, 03:25 PM
AHHH you got me ...im busted .....had one about 3 weeks ago .... :histeric:

oh well ...cigarette free ...at least ...lolAh, you and Rushbo. Smoking includes cigars boys and girls! That's OK, keep on the good fight!