: Not many people post

Katshot
01-24-05, 02:46 PM
You ever notice that most members never post in these forums? Looking at the numbers right here confirms that idea. I know this is hardly a "scientific" experiment but if you look at the member list, you come up with approx. 20,448 members. Out of those members, how many would you think have ZERO posts? Would you believe 11653?! Yeah, damn near HALF! That really surprised me. How 'bout another one? Ok, what's your guess on how many members have more than 10 posts? Would you believe only 2640?!
So I guess the question is, how do you improve on this?

caddydaddy
01-24-05, 02:56 PM
Dang Kev, too much time on your hands! lol! You need to drive the Caddy more!
Most people on here I'm sure are just "lurkers". They would rather not post, but just read what goes on. I see posts by people that say "I've been a member for this many months/years, but now I have a question".
I don't know how to get people to post, most probably don't want to. I think this board would be swamped if you added another 11,000 posters a day! Maybe some more interesting conversations would get them to chime in????

BeelzeBob
01-24-05, 03:00 PM
I know, it bugs me too. But what can ya do? Actually, I did start sending a newsletter out only a few weeks ago. That SHOULD give people incentive to come take a look at what's going on - especially since there are topic titles right in the newsletter.

At any cost, most big forums have this problem. So many people just sign up to find out a certain bit of information, and then leave and only come back when they're looking to research something. If they can't find their answer, only then will they post (ie, 1 or 2 post members).

For example, take www.camaroz28.com. Although their membership is larger than ours (they've been around for years), they have a few postless members as well. 12,840 with no posts at all ,5,730 with only one post, tons more with 2, 3, etcetera...

Dadillac
01-24-05, 04:41 PM
I got bored, so I decided to do a little research. I joined Nov 14th, 2004 (I think that's the date). Out of 20,450 members, I am number 227 in posts (I am in no way a PW). There have been 2,439 members who have joined after I did. In that 2,439, only 2 have at least 100 posts. Also, you have to go back 1,470 members, to find the next 5 members with at least 100 posts. I believe that was Oct 2, 2004. So, of the most recent 3,910 members who have joined, there are only 8 of those, who have reached 100 posts. That is 1 in 488 members, reaching 100 posts. The percentage is staggeringly low. Does this mean anything? Nope. Like i said, I got bored. But, if having all of these inactive members, eats up bandwidth, slows down the site, then dump anyone who hasn't logged on in three months. Just a suggestion.

Don

BeelzeBob
01-24-05, 04:45 PM
Hi Don.. Nope! The inactive members don't take up much space at all. Probably far less than a meg of data. At any cost, this is all normal stuff. I've been into this "forum" thing since the mid 80s, and even back then you had more lurkers than 'participators'.. It just goes with the territory.. At any cost, if we had much more in regards to active posters, we'd definitely need a more powerful server. So I don't mind growing slowly...

Dadillac
01-24-05, 04:52 PM
Again, I am just bored. There are 4,990 members, who haven't logged on since this date, one year ago. I know that this is typical for forums. But, I also know forums cost $ to run. So, if all of these members are costing anything, inactivate them. If it costs nothing, then leave it alone. It would be nice to keep this forum free. I have seen some rather large forums, go the pay route, because of bandwidth cost issues. And if a forum goes from free to pay, it loses many members. I am in no way trying to school anyone on how to run a forum. I know nothing about running forums. I just love this place, and would hate for it to go away, over an issue, that is easily solved (if it is even an issue). Okay, I will stop being bored, and get back to my daily activities.

Don

Dadillac
01-24-05, 04:53 PM
Sal

You posted above, while I was typing my last post. I understand, so please delete the above post if you like. Sorry

Don

BeelzeBob
01-24-05, 05:00 PM
Not a problem at all, Don.. I'm glad that you like the site enough to be concerned. I think that if there are a lot of members on a forum, there will be enough supporters to keep it running one way or another. We're not "huge" yet - and I've never run a "huge" forum - so I can't be positive on that - but I believe it to be true. I'm assuming that as our membership grows, there will be more and more supporting members that help pay for the costs involved with running the site.

illumina
01-24-05, 05:53 PM
i post all of the time. just no one listens to me. people hate me! :eek: :D

D148L0
01-24-05, 05:58 PM
Why the concern? I think the site is doing OK. Like CAddydaddy said, there are a lot of members that like to watch more than to write. Take a look at the number of members online in the past 24 hours. It is considerably larger than the number of posts in the same period. And consider that several posts are made by the same users.
As long as this site keeps their valuable, knowledgeable and friendly members, people will notice and it will keep growing.

DopeStar 156
01-24-05, 07:42 PM
Haha this board consumes my life. Sal, try holding contests with trips to Hawaii for the first member to break 100,000 posts. I'm sure that'll work. *Mischief*

slk230mb
01-24-05, 08:08 PM
Haha this board consumes my life. Sal, try holding contests with trips to Hawaii for the first member to break 100,000 posts. I'm sure that'll work. *Mischief*

That would be the ultimate battle between Wes and Ralph. :coolgleam

Kev
01-24-05, 08:23 PM
i post all of the time. just no one listens to me. people hate me! :eek: :D
Don't be hatin' !
I listen to you most of the time.....:hmm: well, some of the time....:suspect: Nah, you're right, I don't listen at all! LOL
(Jes kidden!) :tongue2:
Kev

Vesicant
01-24-05, 08:38 PM
I think I just ... people.. just... react against me because of who i am ... lol

Anyways- Go Cadillac Forum Posters! (that rare breed)

RBraczyk
01-25-05, 05:51 AM
Yea I haven't been posting much lately. Too busy and forum topics aren't too interesting.

Fritzi
01-25-05, 09:56 PM
I mean , for instance. I come to this board almost everyday. I come here to read, learn, laugh and to look at pictures. Usually when I submit a post it is lame anyways. So I don't bother.

Stoneage_Caddy
01-25-05, 10:30 PM
i wouldnt say anything youve said is lame fritzi.....

now RB on the other hand ......just jokeing dude ....

but really frtizi feel free to post more often ....we dont get enough of a "womans point of view" around here...i mean we have supafly but some of us spend more time complemtning how she looks then thinking about how she thinks of the world here.....theres too much testosterone round here ....lay some of that estrogen on us ....lord knows raphie and i could use it ....

PhillyCaddy
01-25-05, 10:31 PM
you are all right. I have been a member here for awhile and I only have a little over 140 post. But I read alot. and most of the time any questions I have, usualy have the answer up there already. so why should I ask it and take up time and space that someone else can have for a new question.
this is a great forum and a great place for information for the cars we drive.
So my point is that, you dont have to post alot to get the most out of the site. most of the people are just the best you can have here. and normaly the bases are always covered one way or the other.

keep it going Sal.

Ralph
01-25-05, 10:49 PM
lord knows raphie and i could use it ....

:shhh: But Supa and I have something going here :shhh:

It's true though, don't be shy Fritz. :)

Freakx45
01-25-05, 11:33 PM
Well, i signed up cause of a friend but now i feel i should contribute...so here is post number 2 for me.

evilrussian
01-26-05, 12:07 AM
I signed up in 11/03 and had like 2 posts or something like that up until 10/04, that's because the Caddy sat in a garage for most of the time but now it's seeing more road every now and then and that's why I got more active with my posting.

illumina
01-26-05, 07:03 PM
i wouldnt say anything youve said is lame fritzi.....

now RB on the other hand ......just jokeing dude ....

but really frtizi feel free to post more often ....we dont get enough of a "womans point of view" around here...i mean we have supafly but some of us spend more time complemtning how she looks then thinking about how she thinks of the world here.....theres too much testosterone round here ....lay some of that estrogen on us ....lord knows raphie and i could use it ....

there are some pictures floating around here of fritzi and i must say WOW :worship:

okay, enough of my "testosterone", i'll just say that fritzi is not lame too...now if you'd like to see lame, look at my posts... :helpless:

Stoneage_Caddy
01-26-05, 10:57 PM
shoot dude , you could use more testosterone ....you make fun of yourself too much ....your starting to make me wonder if your really a girl .....you dont stand in front of a mirrior and complain your fat while looking at your ribs do you?

get yer confidence back brutha ! dont let a woman steal that stuff from you ....you cant let your confidence be comprimised by something no man has ever understood ....women....

Jesda
01-26-05, 11:02 PM
I check in to see Ralph's latest avatar. :D

Ralph
01-27-05, 06:38 PM
I check in to see Ralph's latest avatar. :D

Until Kismet sees it and gives the approval or cancellation of it, Natasha won't return for a while. (even though I got new pics for Nat)

Only Supas hotter. :shhh:

illumina
01-27-05, 06:55 PM
shoot dude , you could use more testosterone ....you make fun of yourself too much ....your starting to make me wonder if your really a girl .....you dont stand in front of a mirrior and complain your fat while looking at your ribs do you?

get yer confidence back brutha ! dont let a woman steal that stuff from you ....you cant let your confidence be comprimised by something no man has ever understood ....women....

:suspect:

no, i'm not a woman...when i stand in front of the mirror (nude), i look at my sexy body and cry at it's beauty...no, really i do...for real man!...

okay, enough of that shit ^.

you're right. besides, i think i have a new interest finally! she seems to be cool, but she has a boyfriend named tony...i'll have to prove my high level of testosterone and whoop his ass so i can win her over. or just be her friend, which seems good for me right now...i think i am slowly getting over the "X".

patgizz
01-27-05, 08:14 PM
i dont have much to post about. i don't drive my caddy in the winter, it hasnt seen snow since it was new in 1978 and i see no reason to start now. and when i do drive it, it provides thousands of trouble-free miles. 85,000 and counting. some routine maintenance but i've been messing with the big caddy motors for years so i never need to ask how to do anything.

illumina
01-27-05, 08:21 PM
i dont have much to post about. i don't drive my caddy in the winter, it hasnt seen snow since it was new in 1978 and i see no reason to start now. and when i do drive it, it provides thousands of trouble-free miles. 85,000 and counting. some routine maintenance but i've been messing with the big caddy motors for years so i never need to ask how to do anything.

sounds like a nice ride man. with the experience you have with these engines, you could always post some technical adivce :rolleyes: .

COBlackZ06
01-27-05, 10:23 PM
I'm a relatively new member to the Cadillac Forums (been here less than a month.)

I joined Cadillac Forums because I had purchased a '96 Eldorado as a second vehicle, and I wanted to find out more about it. Hear from other members about their experiences, potential upgrades, issues I should be aware of (those annoying ideosynchracies every car has), and because I wanted to experience a bit of the culture of this forum.

I drop in here on average every other day or so. My big disappointment is that in the Eldorado/Seville forum, what I read are consistently problems. Nobody has any good news, interesting stories, or fun road kills to talk about. It's "my transmission is doing this" or "my heater is doing that." Some of the responses to those posts can be instructive, but most of them read like "why was I naive enough to buy a car this full of problems?" Forgive me, but I love my Eldorado. It's a great car, and I hate hearing the horror stories of "don't let this happen to you."

So I've started simply reading, and seeing what I can find here that I can learn from and appreciate, Cadillac enthusiast to Cadillac enthusiast. Sorry if some of this sounds like I'm reacting negatively- I'm not. I just get more of a charge from positive, success stories than the stories of those who feel like their car is falling apart and there's nothing they can do.

Please don't feel like I'm picking on anyone or the forum in particular- that isn't my intention. I truly enjoy this place, and just wish I could get some uplifting, "I love my Cadillac" stories from fellow owners. Am I simply looking in the wrong forums? Please let me know.

Thanks!

-Patrick

Kev
01-27-05, 10:32 PM
I love my Cadi! :yup:

illumina
01-27-05, 10:38 PM
yeah man (COBlackZ06), i see your point, but this is also a technical forum that deals with those kinds of issues. whenever there is a problem with one of our rides, we post it and someone will always be around to give usually sound advice.

also, there is a "kill stories" section towards the bottom of the main forums page with plenty of neat stories that you'll enjoy. i'm sure you have some stories to post about your '96 eldo killing some cars out on the road, so please feel free to post some kills there.

COBlackZ06
01-27-05, 10:48 PM
Illumina,

Thanks for the info about the Kill Stories section- I'll have to check that out. (Although, most of my kill stories happen when I've driving the Vette. :coolgleam )

I completely understand about Cadillac Forums having a technical aspect to its function. And, as I said, I find some of those posts instructive. But- where's the love? Why aren't any Eldo or Seville owners posting in telling everyone some great experience they had with their rides? I guess I'm just looking for psychological reinforcement that I picked the right car as a second vehicle.

-Patrick

Vesicant
01-27-05, 10:57 PM
I completely understand about Cadillac Forums having a technical aspect to its function. And, as I said, I find some of those posts instructive. But- where's the love? Why aren't any Eldo or Seville owners posting in telling everyone some great experience they had with their rides? I guess I'm just looking for psychological reinforcement that I picked the right car as a second vehicle.

Yeah ive been wanting that same kind of talk in the Catera section since as long as ive been here. Certainly does take a lil bit of the fun out of communicating with fellow owners.

Ill always stay hopeful though. :yup:

illumina
01-28-05, 12:13 AM
Illumina,

Thanks for the info about the Kill Stories section- I'll have to check that out. (Although, most of my kill stories happen when I've driving the Vette. :coolgleam )

-Patrick

you have chosen a fine secondary vehicle! the northstar engine is by far an excellent performer and you should be proud to have such a car, which i'm sure you are.

even though the Z06 is faster, your eldo can put some decent kills on our list too. and i'm sure that people won't mind if you post a few ZO6 kills here: as long as it involves killing BMW's and the like.

does anyone object to that?

Kev
01-28-05, 12:18 AM
Ooh, Illumina, scary new avitar. :disappoin Just noticed it. Are we in a dark mood now? lol

:Offtopic: Oops, sorry.

Kev

Kristin
01-28-05, 12:27 AM
I hardly ever post. I don't have anything useful to say so I just keep quiet and read. haha

I only post when I need something really. Like when I was trying to figure out how much I could get for the 04 stock escalade rims...which are still sitting in the garage. HA! And tonight I made another thread asking a question about the length of the bed in the EXT. I want something different and need something that will pull my enclosed trailer AND hold another bike in the back. Maybe I'm asking too much :want:

Anyway, sorry not many of us post. I just don't have anything interesting to say :helpless:

Kev
01-28-05, 12:47 AM
I just don't have anything interesting to say :helpless:
'S-OK Kristen, I'm not as interesting as I think I am, I just haven't let it stop me! LOL :p
As long as you are happy with this site and I don't get too obnoxious, Sal and the other moderators won't mind. :halo:

Kev

skides1
01-28-05, 02:46 AM
Zo6 guy-WTF! Your driving 180 with your ABS and low winshield washer fluid light on?! RU sure you didn't hook a Dremel tool up to the speedo sensor? LOL!! I can't read the small avitar because I'm laughing so hard!!
On posts: When I signed up this forum, I was kinda intimidated while reading the archive (alot of knowledge) compared to the Ford sites. I just kept my mouth shut until I found out It doesn't really matter if I'm wrong-it's fun! Plus I learn; Bbob has shut me down a couple of times-who cares? I love it when someone spends some time setting the record straight due to my sparing. :)

COBlackZ06
01-28-05, 12:27 PM
Zo6 guy-WTF! Your driving 180 with your ABS and low winshield washer fluid light on?! RU sure you didn't hook a Dremel tool up to the speedo sensor? LOL!! I can't read the small avitar because I'm laughing so hard!!

:D Actually, Skides, I wasn't driving it all in that pic. As part of the warm up when you first start the engine in 5th Gen corvettes, the speedometer and tachometer go all the way to end, just as all the on-board lights come on for testing. The speedometer moves pretty quick, so snapping that shot is challenge- I think I got it as close to the 200 MPH mark as I could after about five attempts.

-Patrick

Kev
01-28-05, 12:35 PM
:D Actually, Skides, I wasn't driving it all in that pic. As part of the warm up when you first start the engine in 5th Gen corvettes, the speedometer and tachometer go all the way to end, just as all the on-board lights come on for testing. The speedometer moves pretty quick, so snapping that shot is challenge- I think I got it as close to the 200 MPH mark as I could after about five attempts.

-Patrick
Nice! :thumbsup:

Kev

caddydaddy
01-28-05, 12:38 PM
It does the same thing on my 2000 STS! I'll have to try that "tricky" shooting and get a pic of my STS doing 150!

davesdeville
01-29-05, 06:16 PM
It doesn't do that on my ETC... Guess I'll just have to take it to 150 again and snap a pic.

As for people not posting - well that's nothing out of the ordinary for a forum with alot of emphisis on technical discussion, people will search and find an answer and leave.