: Programming a spare key

Dadillac
01-24-05, 03:45 PM
I just thought I would share my experience with all. When I bought my Seville back in November, it only came with two keys. One had to go to the little lady, which left me with one, for myself. With every vehicle I have owned, I have always carried a spare key. I have heard, that a key from the dealer, costs $80+. So what I did, was buy one from Ebay. That set me back an entire $18.00. I took it to the locksmith, got it cut, and that cost $5.30. So I got a new spare key, for a grand total of about $23.30. And, as has been posted here before, programming can be done by anyone, even a small child.

1. With your existing key, start the engine.

2. Turn off the engine, and remove the key.

3. Within 15 seconds, insert new key to be programmed, and turn it to the "on" position, without starting the engine.

4. Wait for the "bonging" to stop, and turn key to off.

The key is now programmed, and ready to use. It couldn't be easier. If I had gotten a key from the locksmith, he would have charged me $47.70. So Ebay, is the way to go. If any of you decide to do this, please stay away from "mylocksmith". That is who I used. It took them 27 days to deliver the key. They also do not return e-mails. I thought for sure that I had been ripped off.

So, I will notifying all of the GM owners in my circle of family, and friends, to let them know, to stay away from the dealers for keys. I saved over $60.00 by doing this, and if it was any easier, it would be illegal. :lildevil: The reason I am posting this, is because I was a little uneasy about doing this on my own, as I am sure others are also. But I decided to just do it. I encourage all others to do the same.

Don

tco43
01-29-05, 10:04 PM
I did not have a spare key for my 1996 Seville SLS. I went to the Cadillac dealer with my existing key and VIN number. For $34.00 I was given a new key which worked without any "in car" programming.

Murphyg
01-31-05, 08:31 PM
...... programming can be done by anyone, even a small child.
.......if it was any easier, it would be illegal. Don

It IS easier!! and SHOULD be illegal !!!!
Check this one out :

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30462

I cant believe what Ive stumbled into here and have been reading.
This is absolutelly insane !!

Dadillac
01-31-05, 09:49 PM
I am a bit hesitant to believe that a dealer would cut a key from a VIN, without any proof of ownership. But then, I am a skeptic at heart. Anyway, my post was just to try and save some folks some cash, with the DIY method, versus the dealer $. I was a bit hesitant doing the DIY method, as I figured I would end up paying more in the end. It is always a good idea to have a spare key around, and if you don't, you do not have to get one from the dealer. Most PK3 keys can be had from Ebay for about $12 - $15. Add a few dollars to have it cut, and you are done. Programming a PK3 is super easy, and the high dollars a dealer charges, is unjustified. That's all

Don

Murphyg
01-31-05, 11:03 PM
I find that very hard to believe myself.
I know where your comin from, and it is a bit too much to accept that it ever was a possibility!

But it did happen to my mother-inlaw as well.
Though that was 25 years ago like I said.
Is it possible that it is still in practice today as is talked about in RaGzEmCeEs' post that I linked??
I would surely hope not.

Dadillac
02-01-05, 12:45 AM
Yeah, but 25 years ago, cars didn't have these chipped keys for security. It would just seem misplaced for a car company (GM), to create a security feature, that they allow thier dealers, to defeat in this manner. I just don't buy it. I may go to my local dealer, to see if I can have this done, just to see if it is possible. I am going to guess no. If I ever decide to actually do this, I will post how things go.

Don

Murphyg
02-06-05, 07:27 PM
Yeah, but 25 years ago, cars didn't have these chipped keys for security. It would just seem misplaced for a car company (GM), to create a security feature, that they allow thier dealers, to defeat in this manner. I just don't buy it. I may go to my local dealer, to see if I can have this done, just to see if it is possible. I am going to guess no. If I ever decide to actually do this, I will post how things go.

Don
You say you dont buy it.
Well of course not.
Its ludicrous to think otherwise.
But when it comes to reality, it did and does happen.
I myself have been round long enough that I shouldnt be surprised when I hear of such things. But still I am.
I have just learned that it was a general practice in and round my surrounding area, till laws were recently passed to help prevent it.
But even with laws in place it doesnt assure that it will not still occur.

Its fact.
Check the other thread
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30462
There's links there that verify it no matter how insane the thought is.