: LS6 Oil Leak Passenger Side

repenttokyo
05-30-13, 09:43 AM
A day after a recent track day, I discovered an oil leak on the passenger side of my 2004 CTS-V's engine. It's near the front - oil was all over the power steering hoses, and even on the lower control arm. I have oil on the bottom of the oil pan, but I don't think that's where it's coming from, since it seems unlikely it would have migrated from there all the way up front.

The most likely answer is somewhere up on the passenger side of the engine - where are the common leak points I should be looking for? It's not dripping a mile a minute, but it is coating components. I also still have tranny fluid coming out on the track - which I assume is from the breather hose. Starting to get really wet down there!

OneFast V
05-30-13, 10:20 AM
Are you sure it was not power steering fluid? I have had power steering fluid spill over at the track..

repenttokyo
05-30-13, 10:30 AM
Are you sure it was not power steering fluid? I have had power steering fluid spill over at the track..

I am reasonably sure, but I am going to go look again today. I actually checked power steering fluid level the day before I hit the track, and this oil I am finding feels thicker....I am also thinking that if it was flowing over, it would be on the driver's side of the car more than the passenger, because of where the fill point/cap is.

I replaced the hoses for the power steering along the area where the oil is congregating about 2 years ago, so I would be surprised if they were leaking again. Where did you notice your power steering fluid spillover when it happened to you?

OneFast V
05-30-13, 01:39 PM
I am reasonably sure, but I am going to go look again today. I actually checked power steering fluid level the day before I hit the track, and this oil I am finding feels thicker....I am also thinking that if it was flowing over, it would be on the driver's side of the car more than the passenger, because of where the fill point/cap is.

I replaced the hoses for the power steering along the area where the oil is congregating about 2 years ago, so I would be surprised if they were leaking again. Where did you notice your power steering fluid spillover when it happened to you?

Min was driver's side but it did run down the lines a ways. the second time with my "upgraded PS cooler", the cooler sprung a leak and shot PS fluid everywhere.

JDB
05-30-13, 02:45 PM
Considering the fans can blow fluids everywhere, it's likely to be either. I zip tie a couple layers of an old tshirt around the power steering reservoir cap just because of this common issue.

Take some samples from your power steering and motor oil dip sticks on a white towel and compare to the leak. Smell them too. I don't recommend licking them, but you might be in to that.

Is there fluid on the hood's heat padding namely directly above the PS tank?

repenttokyo
06-01-13, 10:15 AM
I was traveling yesterday and Thurs (and again tomorrow) but I am going to take a closer look at the car this afternoon. Fortunately, I don't have to drive it anytime soon.

JDB - I will try the paper towel to examine the colors. It just seemed thick enough to be motor oil, but it was also dark and I was using a flashlight to peer up inside the engine.

I will also try the t shirt trick when I am on the track. I wish there was a similar trick I could do for my tranny fluid track leak.

RippyPartsDept
06-01-13, 10:53 AM
you can also burn a sample of the fluids on a q-tip and observe the flame ... then burn the leaking fluid on a q-tip and see which one it matches

they will burn different color flames

repenttokyo
06-01-13, 10:57 AM
Another great suggestion - this is why I love this board so much. Thanks for all of the help, guys.

RippyPartsDept
06-01-13, 11:16 AM
i can't take credit for that idea ... i did find it on here ... I think it was 00 Deville who first turned me on to the burnt q-tip idea

rand49er
06-01-13, 09:51 PM
If it's engine oil, could it be coming from the dipstick tube? Valve cover gasket?

Just trying to think of a relatively benign cause.

repenttokyo
09-01-13, 08:36 PM
I've managed to pinpoint the leak after cleaning and watching - it looks to be the front passenger side of the oil pan.

odla
09-01-13, 11:11 PM
Is it cracked? Is it the gasket? If it is the gasket maybe just tightening up the bolts may help.

repenttokyo
09-01-13, 11:44 PM
Is it easy to over-torque the oil pan? I am thinking it could be loose as well (or gasket). The oil pan has a warning on it not to overtighten past the shop manual guidelines.

pato
09-02-13, 02:24 AM
Is it leaking under the timing cover?

repenttokyo
09-02-13, 09:14 AM
Well, it's the right front of the engine at the oil pan. The timing cover covers the entire front of the engine, correct? It seems to be more oil pan specific than timing cover specific. But I can check again later today (car is up on jack stands).

odla
09-02-13, 03:40 PM
Try re-torque them at the right ft lbs just to check. That way you cant over do them if it is still to spec.

PISNUOFF
09-02-13, 09:35 PM
My front main seal always looked like it was leaving from that spot. Maybe yours has eaten into the balancer like mine did, twice.

repenttokyo
09-02-13, 10:04 PM
I was underneath again tonight and I took some pictures.

Further analysis reveals that the leak might be higher than I thought. You can see both the passenger side, where it is really bad, and a little bit above the oil filer on the driver's side, in these shots.

Any opinions or help would be appreciated!

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=141474&stc=1&d=1378173689

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=141482&stc=1&d=1378173689

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=141490&stc=1&d=1378173774

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=141498&stc=1&d=1378173774

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=141506&stc=1&d=1378173774

PISNUOFF
09-03-13, 07:56 AM
What's it look like at the top, behind the intake manifold?

lollygagger8
09-03-13, 03:49 PM
Havent read previous posts, but it might be a motor mount that broke. The fluid looks brown when it dries

repenttokyo
09-03-13, 04:25 PM
Havent read previous posts, but it might be a motor mount that broke. The fluid looks brown when it dries

I am running 80a poly mounts from revshift.

What's it look like at the top, behind the intake manifold?

I will take another look tonight, but after the track last night it looked dry. Blocked PCV maybe? It only seems to come out when the engine is running, I've had it up on a lift and washed the underside, and half a day sitting revealed no leak. Driving the car got it going again.

rand49er
09-04-13, 09:28 AM
I'm turned around a bit. Is that anywhere near the dipstick tube?

repenttokyo
09-04-13, 09:40 AM
It's on the same side of the engine as the dipstick tube, but the tube itself appears to be dry at the top - last time I checked.

It happens during normal driving, so I don't see how it could be blowing out the tube - if it was exclusively on the track, then maybe, but during normal driving?

robojesus
09-04-13, 10:26 AM
it could blow out of the tube if you have a clogged PCV line (ask me how i know).

i'd also take that cover off and check for oil in the bellhousing.

repenttokyo
09-04-13, 10:51 AM
i'd also take that cover off and check for oil in the bellhousing.

which cover specifically?

robojesus
09-04-13, 02:09 PM
which cover specifically?

There's the two little black covers that go on either side of the bell housing, at between 8-9 o'clock and 3-4 o'clock. One is the trim to keep water from getting into the bell from the starter, the other goes over the other side so they can generically use the engine-trans on other cars and easily swap starter locations. I have a feeling like you might have a little oil blowing through there, although I could definitely be wrong

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/141482d1378173689-ls6-oil-leak-passenger-side-oil-leak-5.jpg

lollygagger8
09-05-13, 10:09 AM
Ok I saw the pics....sorry I didn't look before.

When you put the oil pan back on you have to use some RTV in the corners where the timing chain covers connects to it. Either that is missing, or not enough, or it was never cleaned off when reinstalled. This is a common spot that has the potential to leak.

The oil pan bolts do not take much TQ at all (106 INCH lbs IIRC) they could also be over or under torqued.

rand49er
09-05-13, 10:53 AM
Your other pics were outstanding. Can you post up more now that you seem to have it pinpointed?

repenttokyo
09-14-13, 10:01 AM
Back everyone - sorry I bought a house last week and it's been keeping me away from the car.

I think it's the oil pan - that's what seems to make the most sense so far. After a track session this week I examined the top of the engine, but I couldn't find any oil anywhere, really, except for what looked like a bit of older staining near the front of the passenger side valve cover. I am going to try re-gasketing the oil pan and see if that helps. I have a few weeks before my next track date, so that should give me time to do it.

I really appreciate everyone's help on tracking this down. I hope that will solve my problem.

2007ThunderV
09-14-13, 02:07 PM
I had a oil pan done on mine looked wet in the same areas

repenttokyo
09-14-13, 07:25 PM
I had a oil pan done on mine looked wet in the same areas

Did you replace the entire pan or just re-do the gasket?

2007ThunderV
09-14-13, 08:33 PM
New pan and gasket under warranty

Said there was pits on the gasket area so they replaced the pan too

rand49er
09-14-13, 08:42 PM
"Pits?" In the aluminum mating surface or the pan itself?

2007ThunderV
09-14-13, 09:12 PM
Pan it's self they said

There is a tsb for rear main same sort of idea
Called suppository ( something like that) issuie
They wanted to use a sealing compound but I fought for a new pan
I will have to did through my files for invoice but there was a tsb number listed on invoice iirc
They did show me the old pan and it looked like the gasket area was sand blasted