: Feedback from those with springs and/or swaybar upgrades

Random84
05-30-13, 10:22 AM
I saw someone post in a thread about how they swapped out for D3 comp lowering springs and swaybars, asked them how the ride was and lost track of the thread.

In this thread, I am looking for feedback on people who have been there/done that on suspension upgrades: I am looking for less body roll and a more competition-orientated ride relative to the OEM sport mode settings - basically just springs and/or sways as I'd like to keep the factory mag ride setup. I understand there are always trade offs, but I hesitate to use subjective terminology like "stiffer" or "more harsh" in describing what I'd tolerate - so I'd like you to chime in with feedback. I do not mind the lowering aspect of the more common mods, but it's not my primary goal.

Instead of more HP, I am looking at better tires and suspension changes to improve my driving experience - which is admittedly atypical. I am familiar with D3's offerings and eibach, but I prefer real-world experiences.

A. What parts did you swap (sways, springs, other?)
B. How much more firmness/stiffness/less body roll/etc do you feel was gained with these changes, relative to "sport" mode settings? 20% 30% more?
C. Would you do anything different in retrospect? Are these mods reasonable for a daily-driver, given I expect the compromises of a competition-orientated handling change?

Kramer
05-30-13, 12:19 PM
I just recently swapped to D3 springs. I love the ride, just near like factory but with less body roll. These springs are progressive rate which means under normal driving, factory like ride, throw it into a corner and the springs stiffen up as they compress, providing more control and less body roll. Great change! Now have the swaybars ordered, awaiting their arrival!!!

cruiser68
05-30-13, 01:04 PM
D3 springs and swaybars here. Huge improvement all around. Ride is slightly firmer during normal driving. Ride quality is better IMO but I like a firmer ride. On the track is where they REALLY shine though. MUCH better handling MUCH less body roll. Best investment I made in my V!

Random84
05-30-13, 01:08 PM
D3 springs and swaybars here. Huge improvement all around. Ride is slightly firmer during normal driving. Ride quality is better IMO but I like a firmer ride. On the track is where they REALLY shine though. MUCH better handling MUCH less body roll. Best investment I made in my V!

How was your purchase experience with D3 - I am leary of the feedback I see on a daily basis.

And how much of a PITA is it to install those swaybars? :D

rayjoedef
05-30-13, 02:08 PM
Random,

I have D3 comp springs....one of them failed....they overnighted a new pair - I consider that pretty good service.

cruiser68
05-30-13, 04:23 PM
Ordering process was simple, got everything in a timely fashion.

Installation of the rear sway bar was really easy. Not so much for the front. You have to drop the sub frame in order to snake the front bar through. Took me about 45 minutes to get it through without trashing the paint on the new bar. That was AFTER removing everything I needed to remove. I think I spent a solid day doing the springs and sway bars.

For springs I had to use a spring compressor on the fronts but other than that springs are pretty simple. The rears practically fall out after you remove the shock bolt.

Chrispy
06-01-13, 09:59 AM
Labour on the sways is high due to the work to get them in. I'd love to have a stiffer set of stock height springs but I don't believe anyone makes them. (I need stock height for winter driving)

jb_bgg
06-05-13, 01:28 AM
Addco also now offers sway bars; WeaponX can get them for you. 3 hole adjust with diameter options depending on your needs. Rear sway is simple if you have an axle back exhaust and can easily drop the cans. Otherwise a bit more time consuming. Front is a different story entirely; spindles disconnected, subframe needs to be dropped, etc. etc. Not very easy...

baabootoo
06-05-13, 12:11 PM
I just talked to Addco tech, and they're 6 weeks away from production. So the wait continues......

Dr. Design
06-05-13, 05:07 PM
Hello,

We are actually in the middle of another production run of our track proven CTS-V sway bars. Also please keep in mind that there is a drastic difference in material composition... We are pretty certain you will not find another sway bar option on the market that will match the performance, quality, and material composition for the CTS-V application. Give us a call and we can help you end the wait.

http://d3groupinc.com/d3-competition-sway-bar-kit/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b11MheOXwvg
http://d3groupinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/D3-CTS-V-Sway-Bars-06.jpg

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

I just talked to Addco tech, and they're 6 weeks away from production. So the wait continues......