: Where does the name Cadillac come from?

joshuawk
01-24-05, 12:56 AM
I saw a show on the history channel about it..

Show me yer stuff!!

JimD
01-24-05, 04:53 AM
A French explorer if my memory has not dropped too many bits.

SYN Bubbles
01-24-05, 05:13 AM
Cadillac gets its name from the french explorer who discovered Detroit, and the Cadillac logo is actually that explorers family crest, sad that GM decided 2 dishonor that family and replace the original Cadillac crest with the plain and tasteless new crest, as well as, imo, auto design

Rauf
01-24-05, 06:54 AM
M. Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac, Founder of the City of Detroit:

http://www.cadillaceurope.com/Sites/100yrs/images/notxt/news_events/other/100_years/1900/xx_xx_1902_s2_i1.jpg

When the French Military Officer, Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac, was exploring the North American continent at the end of the 17th century, he arrived at an area around the West Bank of Lake Erie. In 1701, he decided to found a settlement there, which he called "Town at the Narrowest Place" (in French, Ville d'Etroit). The little settlement of d'Etroit grew rapidly and became the grand Detroit - home of the American Automobile Industry. When Henry M. Leland joined what was then known as the "Detroit Automobile Company", one of his first acts was to alter the name to "Cadillac" in tribute to an explorer he admired, whose spirit and entrepreneurial skill founded the Cadillac's hometown of Detroit.

Katshot
01-24-05, 08:59 AM
I've always found this site helpful.
http://www.car-nection.com/yann/Dbas_txt/indx2001.htm

CaddyGMS
01-24-05, 12:02 PM
Interesting, I also found it interesting that Chevy’s bow tie came from a wallpaper design while vacationing in Paris.

CoupeDevilleRob
01-24-05, 05:01 PM
You ever notice that just about every car company, American companies anyway, is named for a person. Chevrolet, Buick, Oldsmobile, Ford, Chrysler and Dodge are all named after their founders. Pontiac is for an Indian cheif, Mercury for the messenger god (I guess that's a person), Lincoln for good old honest Abe, and Cadillac for the founder of Detroit. Not sure who or what Plymouth is named for.

I'm just glad Henry Leland decided not to use his last name for his cars. Leland Coupe Deville doesn't have a nice ring to it.

DopeStar 156
01-24-05, 05:08 PM
I think Plymouth is named after the Pilgrims landing at Plymouth rock since their logo had a boat on it in the company's final years. And Chevrolet is also a French explorer.

Rauf
01-25-05, 04:42 PM
I think Plymouth is named after the Pilgrims landing at Plymouth rock since their logo had a boat on it in the company's final years. And Chevrolet is also a French explorer.

Louis Chevrolet is a famous racer and a founder of the Chevrolet company.
More info:

http://ky.essortment.com/louischevrolet_rdgn.htm

DopeStar 156
01-25-05, 05:57 PM
Dammit. I'm wrong.

carl perkins' caddy
01-26-05, 10:02 PM
and the Cadillac logo is actually that explorers family crest

wrong. cadillac was not actually nobility. when he came to this country, he assumed a title like many explorers (who were often not of nobility) and acted like blue blood. he was born Antione Laument on March 5, 1658, and his father was a clerk in a small town in St. Nicholas-de-la-Grave, France.

the coat of arms (and La Mothe) was stolen from Baron Sylvester of Esparabes de Lussan, lord of Lamothe Bardigues, a small town near Toulouse France.

:thumbsup: