: Busted Goodridge brake line

orandaberg
05-30-13, 05:56 AM
This happened to me on the way from Belgium to Germany, I had to break hard because of a driver. 2 hrs later the dash lights came on for all ABS, traction control, DIC info started informng problems pulled over with to the rest area with minimum brakes. Car had to be towed to garage via road side assistance
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e7/orandaberg/20130530_085442_zps31fe01d3.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/orandaberg/media/20130530_085442_zps31fe01d3.jpg.html)
I have written Goodridge, Any ideas, A OEM hose was ordered from Hamburg and got me home to Norway

conedoctor
05-30-13, 10:14 AM
That looks rubbed through, the hoses are pressure and whip tested and without external damage they should never fail like that.

Unless it was overcrimped?

They are made from a PTFE core and SS wire braid on top for strength and abrasion resistance, I will check mine when I get home and see if the crimps look the same.

08SRX
05-30-13, 11:29 AM
It may not be just the hose, but it could also be related to incorrect installation. If installed where the hose was significantly bent or stretched or subject to excessive vibration, any material will eventually let go.

orandaberg
05-30-13, 11:36 AM
Yes, if you do not do it yourself your left trusting the mechanic, the replacement will be put on by me!

orandaberg
05-30-13, 12:47 PM
5 were loose enough for 3 rounds

conedoctor
05-30-13, 01:25 PM
Go easy when you tighten the swivel as they will crack and fail, they are only crimped on and seal on the flare not the tread so just tight not crazy tight.

orandaberg
05-30-13, 01:49 PM
From Tec help
thank you for the pictures as they are a big help. I have a couple of questions, did you install this kit yourself and who did you buy this kit from?

Looking at the hose it looks like the hose is too short and that when the suspension extended it kinked the brake line and caused the failure. I would like to know what the stock line looks like and how the length of the stock line compares to the Goodridge line you had on the car. Another thing that is of concern is the banjo bolt and the damage to the crush washer.

Something happened to this hose and I need to know why before we make a replacement line as I do not want another failure. Understand that the failure of this brake line was not caused by material or construction failure and this opinion is based upon the photo’s you sent me.

orandaberg
05-31-13, 07:14 PM
From Goodridge
I need your contact information and shipping information as we are going to supply you with a new brake line and proper hardware.

I apologize for this problem and I will keep you advised on our progress with the new line and shipping.

Kind regards,

orandaberg
06-01-13, 05:07 PM
From Goodridge (or at least the partner for them)
The hose will have an angled banjo fitting which will solve the problem plus you will get new crush washers and a proper banjo bolt. What the mechanic will need to do is make sure that the replacement banjo fitting is in the same alignment as the factory line, this is critical.
I will make sure they send you 4 new banjo bolts and new crush washers. The bolts you need are 10mm x 1.0mm and is what we will be sending you.

I will advise you on what is being done and when the line will ship and how.

Looks like they backup their product pretty well (at least the partner that makes the hoses and fittings) I hope addressing this issue will make the future fittings better for the SRX

nstar
06-01-13, 06:31 PM
Sounds like the other lines also need angle banjo fitting to be safe.Engineering must be beening done on the fly!!!:wtf3:

orandaberg
06-01-13, 06:46 PM
Could be, but without input it cannot get better, I think on a perfectly flat road, this may not have happened, but using the car in europe where some of the city roads are still kept as original (medievil), your suspension gets it fullest test. Judging from my old post who has these no one was using them, I doubt its a big seller for Goodridge.

Pinhauler
06-02-13, 01:48 PM
I always thought braided lines were only to be used on race cars here in the USA !!! And that's why .

orandaberg
06-02-13, 02:17 PM
I always thought braided lines were only to be used on race cars here in the USA !!! And that's why .
Thats why what?

orandaberg
07-04-13, 04:14 PM
Well I can say Goodridge stands by their product, they sent me a redesigned hose with new fittings via UPS at no charge

ukmat71
07-04-13, 04:33 PM
thumbs up to goodridge for sorting it , although it should not have happened in the first place.
are the new hoses slightly longer buy any chance?

I have them on my wife Evo and they have been fine for the past 8 years with no problems.

orandaberg
07-04-13, 05:24 PM
Same length hose (1) but they put a angle on the connection (original was straight up) on the right rear driver side,could of been a packaging error, because the fitting to the brake callipers(I used the OEM) were all too short and imperial thread. But they sent 4 new ones if I want to replace them

ukmat71
07-04-13, 06:09 PM
So by them putting an angle on the hose would give it more flexibility .

IMO Goodrich have been in the business for years , as long as I have owned cars anyway.
Never have had a bad set yet, maybe as you say the srx is not a big seller.

Hopefully the new set will give you no more trouble , looks the last one sheared more than likely due to the fact that the hose was probably trying bend when it shouldn't have been.